• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena [EU]- MAY 10TH

Raonak

Banned
Im really enjoying golden, and am kinda interested in this... but is it worth it if you're never gonna play online?

SougoXIII

Yeahhh Atlus/Zen is not going to get my money for this. The only reason that I'm getting this game's because my friend keep pestering me to get it so they could play online... I'll buy this used thank you very much.

Will buy used or after huge bomba and I can't remember the last time I did this with a game. Usually I buy new near launch.

And I love Atlus, but seriously, that's so fucked.

I ended up buying a US PS3 just to play the game. That was six months ago.

Really?
worth it?

EDIT: WHAT? Comes with 12" vinyl?!! DAY FUCKING ONE!!!!1
...I hate myself

Lain

I remember Game. I pre-ordered a FFXIII-2 Crystal Edition (or however the most expensive edition for FFXIII-2 was called) from them. 2 days after release they sent an email to inform me they had canceled my pre-order (without good reasons, I'd say) forcing me to scramble to find an alternative (which I didn't find).
I guess they are the perfect business partners for Zen.

Tizoc

mY BROTher mainly buys from GAME and hasn't had any problems with them @_@.

This seriously needs to be a day 1 Plus freebie on EU, cuz as is I'd say that's the only way I'd get the game lol.

Lain

C'mon son he was just correcting your statement that it was a "shiny CD". He could have made the same exact post you just made and directed it at you.

The preorder includes a CD sampler, which it is what he was referring to, plus he was implying that the record probably contains the same content as the CD sampler.

mY BROTher mainly buys from GAME and hasn't had any problems with them @_@.

This seriously needs to be a day 1 Plus freebie on EU, cuz as is I'd say that's the only way I'd get the game lol.

Probably referring to GAME in Australia which went bust causing all sorts of hassles.

Probably EB Games will be all over this (with their $78 price tag...)

Conan-san

C'mon son he was just correcting your statement that it was a "shiny CD". He could have made the same exact post you just made and directed it at you.

I said (The previous CD) was a shitty CD the contents of which are on Youtube.

The fucking record is just insulting.

The record broke me when I saw it, so pre-ordered for 32.99 GBP. Got an email from GAME this morning telling me the price has now gone up to 34.99 (checks out), but that I'll only pay the price at which I ordered. No idea why the sudden price rise, an unexpected increase in orders perhaps?

KiNeSiS

Banned
You Euros are in for a treat superb fighter arcs best ever!
But why did you guys have to hate so hard & destroy the meta critic user score to Cod blops 2 proportions?
Everyone who wasted time with that better by 2 copies day one for you & a friend.

synce

To buy this game is to send a message that this kind of treatment is okay. I'm in the US and still didn't buy it

To buy this game is to send a message that this kind of treatment is okay. I'm in the US and still didn't buy it

I've been waiting for this game since it was first announced, and would have ordered the Japanese version had the region lock not been enforced. If I had been given the opportunity to play that version, chances are I would go on to purchase the domestic version for my region as well - I've done it for many games in the past, and will continue to do so in future. Technically, a sale has already been lost, as I didn't buy the Japanese version where I would have if it wasn't region-locked.

The situation has been frustrating, there's no shying away from that. And while I agree with your sentiment to a degree, I do not personally feel compelled enough to make a stand over it.

KiteGr

I'm perfectly capable of boycotting games.

I didn't but Archam City untill it released a version with all DLCs on disk, and I won't buy buy SFxT untill they do the same! I also Didn't buy SimCity and Mass Effect 3 because they demanded that I install Origin on my PC, I didn't buy Dead Space 3 because I hate EA's buisness practice with DLCs n stuff and I didn't buy Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1&2 because they were censored in Europe.
All the above were games I realy wanted to play!

Do they think I would fall that low as to buy the only region coded PS3 game ever released?

Conan-san

Agreed.

Anyone in Europe who willingly buys this game first hand knowing all that has gone down is not a true fan of Persona and is but a stepping stone for us to collect a second hand version from.

You can buy the Anime and the other junk, but this one is NOT OK to buy in any way that gives Atlus / Zen cash.

OMG Aero

Anyone in Europe who willingly buys this game first hand knowing all that has gone down is not a true fan of Persona and is but a stepping stone for us to collect a second hand version from.
Ahahahaha.
I'm glad you're here to tell people if they are true fans of something or not based on what they buy.

"True fans" of Persona are already used to the fact that this shit goes down every time and have either come to terms with this treatment or started importing US hardware.

Conan-san

"True fans" of Persona are already used to the fact that this shit goes down every time and have either come to terms with this treatment or started importing US hardware.
For just what effectlvely amounts to Smash Brothers by way of JoJo's Bizzare Adventure?

Those who come to terms with a system that should have died years ago are bitches, those who buy whole consoles to appease their capricious gods are, on top of that, stupid.

But hey, at least you'll make me buying this game second hand a lot easier, so, thanks, it makes my life all the more easy.

dan2026

Its nothing to do with being a 'true-fan' or not.

Its about not supporting anti consumer business practices and voting with your wallet.

Conan-san

Its nothing to do with being a 'true-fan' or not.

Its about not supporting anti consumer business practices and voting with your wallet.

I dunno, there's being a fan and there's being a beaten wife.

Though, yes, there is the anti-consumer angle of all this.

Fisico

Great idea, let's boycott the game so it'll bomb so hard that we, European, never get any Persona game anymore !
With all the devices having potential region lock one way or another, we'll never be able to play a Persona game anymore unless we buy US hardware, but wait, if we do that then we're stupid !

It's funny how people are calling for boycott for something which has been happening here for almost every japanese game for decades, and we're not even in a worst case situation where we don't get the game at all, something which is still happening for dozens of great games every year.

Sure we're annoyed to get game "this late" (omg 6 months), but let us buy the game freely without being insulted for supporting "region lock", Atlus had its fucking bad press already and people trashing them enough ever since (including me, back then)

And stop with your "buying second hand copies", there will not be a single used copy where I live (France, Paris, which is probably one of the biggest market in Europe, am I right ?), there was almost none for Persona games and barely more for Blazblue games, P4A will most likely sell less than both of those so I'm not expecting anything at all

Arthea

I don't understand Atlus, really I don't *shakes head sadly*

Not really relevant to this thread, but I've seen the game was received rather well. Does anybody not into fighting games liked it?

Fisico

I don't understand Atlus, really I don't *shakes head sadly*

Not really relevant to this thread, but I've seen the game was received rather well. Does anybody not into fighting games liked it?

I'm not into fighting games and I liked Blazblue, from what I played of Persona 4 Arena in Japan last year, P4A is much like Blazblue

Arthea

I'm not into fighting games and I liked Blazblue, from what I played of Persona 4 Arena in Japan last year, P4A is much like Blazblue

I was considering Blazblue at some moment, but somehow ended not buying any, so, never played it.
Thanks for answer anyway

web01

You will be able to sell that vinyl for $50 - $100 maybe more depending on how many copies they make. I sold the SEGA MEGA DRIVE collection vinyl for $70 AUD because I didn't really want it.

edit: fuck game uk and zen united since they wont ship this preorder bonus specifically outside the UK, everyone should boycott this game and this shitty publisher.
They have shown complete contempt for all their European customers outside the UK with this. The region lock was bad and this is even more insulting excluding customers in the same region.

Conan-san

Great idea, let's boycott the game so it'll bomb so hard that we, European, never get any Persona game anymore !
With all the devices having potential region lock one way or another, we'll never be able to play a Persona game anymore unless we buy US hardware, but wait, if we do that then we're stupid !

It's funny how people are calling for boycott for something which has been happening here for almost every japanese game for decades, and we're not even in a worst case situation where we don't get the game at all, something which is still happening for dozens of great games every year.

Sure we're annoyed to get game "this late" (omg 6 months), but let us buy the game freely without being insulted for supporting "region lock", Atlus had its fucking bad press already and people trashing them enough ever since (including me, back then)

And stop with your "buying second hand copies", there will not be a single used copy where I live (France, Paris, which is probably one of the biggest market in Europe, am I right ?), there was almost none for Persona games and barely more for Blazblue games, P4A will most likely sell less than both of those so I'm not expecting anything at all
Oh right, cause sucking their cock off this time will surely cause them to treat us like a market and not "those guys" again the next time around.

If you want to support an ethos that should have died ten years ago, you do so. You are, however, an enabler and will be the first to be called off the next time this happens.

And, let's face it, even if this did CoD numbers (impossible as that is) here, Atlus would still fuck us around the next time they release a game. They'd just have the numbers to justify it.

They'll have the numbers to justify it here to follow their stupid, destructive actions regardless so we're fucked anyway. I'm just taking the sob down with me.

Being in france i have to second this .. there won't be second hand copies of this game around.. it's strange thing really some games ...never make it to the second hand market , and if they do they're gone before you know it ...

Conan-san

Being in france i have to second this .. there won't be second hand copies of this game around.. it's strange thing really some games ...never make it to the second hand market , and if they do they're gone before you know it ...
Not my problem. I can deal if there's no SH copies. Nut up and make your choice; buying a game and supporting a business model that is part in parcel of the nonsese that is sinking the gaming industry for the reward of trinketns and a jojo's bizzare adventure knock off or not and knowing you had no part in self same parade of "You're not welcome here, European Scum" and being £40 better off for it.

What are you, consumer or cow?

Fisico

Oh right, cause sucking their cock off this time will surely cause them to treat us like a market and not "those guys" again the next time around.

You've got your opinion and I understand it and even partially agrees with it, but please stop insulting the ones who want to buy the game anyway, the guilty part here is Atlus USA and they're not giving a shit about the european sales, Zen United does and this situation is as embarassing for them that for us.

Btw no word if the european version is gonna be region locked or not ?

Neither, I'm a player and I want to play P4A, is that bad ?

Fisico

I'd have to assume it will be if only because I don't think the guys in Japan will be bothered with changing it just for one region.

The region lock was there because of the difference in pricing between US and JP with the same release date, there's no point for region locking the european version now months later.

OwlyKnees

Strange, strange post.

Atlus and Zen United are not idiotic. If the game is boycotted for an appropriate reason (region-locking) and that message is conveyed in an accurate and prominent enough way for Atlus to take notice (message boards, news articles, customer e-mails) then they have the ability to recognise the reason it sold or performed poorly.

You're entitled to buy the game. Other people are entitled to not support the practice. You claimed above that you wish to stop being insulted for deciding to purchase it, but your opening statements in this post come off just as abrasive as any other comment (including your condescending 'omg 6 months' comment).

Your second point also makes no sense. 'It's been happening for years, so let's continue to let it happen?' 'We're not in a worst-case scenario (of not getting the game in any form) and therefore shouldn't boycott the practice?' How do you suppose we boycott a game that never releases?

Shantom

A month ago P4G managed to chart higher in the UK than the original Persona 4 did. P3P has been in the UK PSP charts (ok, it requires about 5 copies but still) pretty much constantly since it came out. A game which the European fanbase has good reason to hate bombing will not affect future Persona games coming over at all.

Not my problem. I can deal if there's no SH copies. Nut up and make your choice; buying a game and supporting a business model that is part in parcel of the nonsese that is sinking the gaming industry for the reward of trinketns and a jojo's bizzare adventure knock off or not and knowing you had no part in self same parade of "You're not welcome here, European Scum" and being £40 better off for it.

Lol i'm not saying i'll buy the game .. i'm just saying that there won't be any second hand market for this game at all in some places of the worlds.
( notice how i've only quoted a part of that post )
You were missing my point entirely.

And no i won't shut up i've been extremely vocal on how crappy this whole thing is ( from the start of the region lock ) and i've already stated NUMEROUS times that i won't buy this game because of this whole fiasco ..
The rest of your post is nonsense , you might learn to express yourself better because i honnestly didn't get the point you were trying to make.

Stuart444

The region lock was there because of the difference in pricing between US and JP with the same release date, there's no point for region locking the european version now months later.

Well yeah but I assume they are using the same code base from the JPN/US versions and are simply changing one or two things one of which isn't the region lock. That's just my assumption of course.

Anyway as I've said before, the only ones I feel sorry for here Zen United who have had to wait for Arc/Atlus JPN to provide the master discs.

but Eh. this situation is however one reason why I'll be worrying about region locking until Sony confirms the PS4 won't be region lock (Yoshida's comments make me worried :/ ). I do not wish for another situation like this to happen (or for a situation like what can happen with the Wii/Wii U where a game won't even be released in one country :/ )

A month ago P4G managed to chart higher in the UK than the original Persona 4 did. P3P has been in the UK PSP charts (ok, it requires about 5 copies but still) pretty much constantly since it came out. A game which the European fanbase has good reason to hate bombing will not affect future Persona games coming over at all.

This can almost entirely be explained by the UK market being near-death, and only requiring a couple hundred copies to hit the main top 40.

Shantom

This can almost entirely be explained by the UK market being near-death, and only requiring a couple hundred copies to hit the main top 40.

It's more like a couple thousand copies, not great compared to 2009 but still enough that it's worth releasing niche games here.

Top Bottom