• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena European release date bad news [Update: Suffering continues]

What a disaster.

I was anticipating this game since its announcement, but after this clusterfuck I'm disheartened enough to not want to buy it at all

Nice going Atlus

Acosta

Atlus JP are the developers, not US. Nich is a good guy, but there wouldn't be anything he could do.

He could tell whoever took down those videos that they're rotten, though. >_>

I'm aware, and this is not on any developers, this is on the directives of Atlus in Japan.

And NichM is a great poster, I only have respect for him. I just want to communicate with someone working in Atlus how I feel. I'm not blaming him.

mclem said:
When developing games in the EU, we *always* developed with the US in mind. We built an engine that worked equally well at 60Hz or 50Hz, we took into account differences between the various regions' requirements and built to a unified spec that covered all (and all platforms), and we built localisation hooks in at the outset. Had we aimed for a simultaneous release, we could reasonably have done so - but at a cost.

A similar company in Japan or the US would often build with 60Hz in mind at first, with the US or Japanese market in mind; they could afford to make some rash design decisions in the interest of getting a releasable product more rapidly.

The resource allocation question underneath all this, though, which is significant, is the fact that the latter company would have a product that could be released in one region *much* quicker than us. All the time we'd be spending on the international framework, they'd be able to focus on the actual game. That'd have a knock-on effect:

The first company might be able to release worldwide in October.
The second company might be able to release in the US in September and in EU in November.

Which is preferable? Certainly as an EU purchaser, I'd want the game sooner, but that's a longer gap before the game earns revenue, which makes it a trickier choice for the publisher.

Sorry, I don't understand this post. I'm a PAL consumer, I'm fully aware of all this and god knows how much money I have spent getting through it.

The question here is that every single PS3 game has been region free, and P4A is not. I'm not asking about worldwide releases or special resources allocated to a European release. Release it region free and let your consumer decide if they want to wait or not just like any other PS3 game.

Ban Puncher

Just wanted to point out that Australian and New Zealand customers get fucked over by this PAL mess too.

But lol who cares about the southern hemisphere, am I right publishers?

Jawmuncher

Just wanted to point out that Australian and New Zealand customers get fucked over by this PAL mess too.

But lol who cares about the southern hemisphere, am I right publishers?

They get screwed even more than Europe.
Mainly because no one remembers they exist.

region lock is the problem. As always.
I didn't bother to wait x months with catherine . Or with previous persona games .
You're right , region lock is the problem.

But what on earth could there be an issue with? They gotta censor something?

I don't think there is anything within the game that require a censor or something

Sorry, I don't understand this post. I'm a PAL consumer, I'm fully aware of all this and god knows how much money I have spent getting through it.

The question here is that every single PS3 game has been region free, and P4A is not. I'm not asking about worldwide releases or special resources allocated to a European release. Release it region free and let your consumer decide if they want to wait or not just like any other PS3 game.

So true ^^^^

Ban Puncher

Vh4oo.gif

mclem

I might funnel that money into buying Sleeping Dogs on PC instead, since Square Enix knows how to treat their customers well.

...mainly through *thoroughly* exploring ways to screw over Europe through much of the 90's and about half of the 00's. Y'know, just to make *really* sure they know what not to do in the future.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
...mainly through *thoroughly* exploring ways to screw over Europe through much of the 90's and about half of the 00's. Y'know, just to make *really* sure they know what not to do in the future.

Well at least they're not doing it now.

Unlike Atlus!

mclem

The region free-ness is a separate issue; my point was entirely about the logic and reasons behind European delays (and I should add it wasn't really meant to present either option as 'right', just a discussion of the factors developers are obliged to take into account).

Not releasing the game as region free is shit, agreed. I get their logic behind it, and I have to concede it's reasonably sound logic, but it's still something of a shitty thing to do.

They have learned .
Right now their games release on time ( without region lock on ps3 ) and judging by their recent releases of limited editions and content ..they actually try now to keep their community happy ( giving codes on facebook/twitter , special events at various events across europe, etc).

The region free-ness is a separate issue; my point was entirely about the logic and reasons behind European delays (and I should add it wasn't really meant to present either option as 'right', just a discussion of the factors developers are obliged to take into account).

Not releasing the game as region free is shit, agreed. I get their logic behind it, and I have to concede it's reasonably sound logic, but it's still something of a shitty thing to do.
They choose to publish a fighting game, those games have needs to survive ( especially in today market ).
Failling to deliver on numerous times is something that can't be forgiven anymore

So what is the holdup? They don't have anybody to put in EU subtitles or is there some sort of contractual hold up? It's in Atlus' best interest to sell more of it's well reviewed fighting game.

demidar

This will be the last time they'll ever forget about Australia, we'll load up a missile filled to the brim with spiders then launch it into Atlus HQ's ceiling.

So, is it too early to say P4A competitive community in PALland is dead?

remz

This will be the last time they'll ever forget about Australia, we'll load up a missile filled to the brim with spiders then launch it into Atlus HQ's ceiling.

More likely after how hard they forget about Australia this time they just won't bother releasing another game in the region ever again.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME

How can it be dead when it never truly had a chance to live T_______T

From my experience:Knowing my previous experience with companies who treat EU as an afterthought, it's quite possible they didn't think to apply for such an ID until later on.
Not likely as Zen united is allegedly a reputable publisher [that] has shipped EU product previously. They should already know what is required of them from a publishing standpoint in EU.

Finally - and *possibly* most importantly, possibly completely irrelevantly - there's the 50/60Hz issue. I would *assume* that games still have to be coded with refresh rate in mind for people still running the things through crappy hookups, but that might have been phased out as a requirement by now.
The vast majority of regions in Europe have already switched from analogue to digital broadcast. The vast (VAST) majority of HDTVs installed in those homes will support 60Hz refresh rate. The 50/60Hz discrepancy, as far as television broadcast and image replication, is not a factor any more.

You need to grow up and realise Sony and Microsoft require a minimum amount of copies to be printed when they receive a game from a publisher. In the case of a game like BlazBlue the sales in the UK alone are lower than the minimum amount; so it would be suicide for Zen/PQube.
Then they should publish it digitally.

Atlus Japan are at fault here, firstly for not thinking through the consequences of region-locking (or more likely, ignoring the affected customers) and also for not selecting a publisher competent enough to represent their product and brand properly.

By the time this game comes out, Europeans are going to have a horrible experience playing it online. The hardest of the hardcore fans who have imported both game and console, will ensure that beginners will likely be matched with experienced players from all possible regions and it's going to be horrible for all concerned. Happens with every fighter delayed in Europe for no good reason (and currency fluctuation is not a good enough reason).

Much respect to the talented developers who put the game together. I hope the suits get everything they deserve.

remz

We got extend pretty quick...
Too little, too late. The third version being on time isn't enough, considering the game straight after by the same dev is going through release hell again. They've got one out of 4.
Eh, blazblue had a kinda healthy australian scene.

Mostly because it was REGION FREE.
Is it still going at all? I didn't live in the city till recently, so I don't really know if anyone actually played it :|

I'm going to go out on a limb and claim the niche for digitally downloadbable anime fighting titles €59.99 titles isn't that big. I for one would never download one. My limit for downloadable games is €15.
And I would say the niche for paying €59.99 for a digital fighting game is exactly the same as the niche for buying a €59.99 boxed product fighting game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Too little, too late. The third version being on time isn't enough, considering the game straight after by the same dev is going through release hell again. They've got one out of 4.

Is it still going at all? I didn't use to live in the city so I don't really know if anyone actually played it :|

Hmm, it's been awhile actually. Didn't get onto extend mostly because I got swamped with uni stuff. When I played though it was pretty healthy.

Also they used to have a CS machine down at box hill arcade. Replaced by KoF13 now. Most of the people there are either on TTT2 or SSF4.

remz

I'd much rather buy it digital then not have it at all, for whatever reason.

I'm hoping for a digital future because of shit like this.

Hmm, it's been awhile actually. Didn't get onto extend mostly because I got swamped with uni stuff. When I played though it was pretty healthy.

Also they used to have a CS machine down at box hill arcade. Replaced by KoF13 now. Most of the people there are either on TTT2 or SSF4.

Yeah, was familiar with the cab at box hill, was going to drive over there before I got told, like you just said, that it's KOF13 now ._.

Hopefully it picks up when CP comes out.

Conan-san

Don't go to Atlus USA's forums if you want to keep your fist out of your moniter. The sheer amount of "I don't fucking care, I have my game, fuck europe" that's running around there is downright insulting.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Don't go to Atlus USA's forums if you want to keep your fist out of your moniter. The sheer amount of "I don't fucking care, I have my game, fuck europe" that's running around there is downright insulting.

You can't really blame them, would you give that much of a shit if you'd had it for three weeks or so?

Ban Puncher

Well now, it couldn't be that bad....

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10440

mngNJ.gif

Gotta love that community spirit. The lack of moderation on the official forums further proves how little Atlus regards the PAL market.

LegatoB

Gotta love that community spirit. The lack of moderation on the official forums further proves how little Atlus regards the PAL market.

personally i figured the part where they're atlus usa might've clued you in w/r/t how much they concern themselves with the pal market

The Atlus USA forums are a terrible place full of miserable people, but there's no point in lashing out at the company; this matter is out of their hands.

Torraz

Cuz that works wonders for PR.

Callofduty"boykott".jpg. PR doesn't seem to matter too much. Most people will bark and howl, and still buy the games.

Any news of this region locking spiling over? I am a bit hesistant to preorder Xillia 2 and Yakuza 5 due to it.

Ban Puncher

personally i figured the part where they're atlus usa might've clued you in w/r/t how much they concern themselves with the pal market

Because being proactive about your product to all and any potential customers regardless of geographical borders is bad business.

Conan-san

Callofduty"boykott".jpg. PR doesn't seem to matter too much. Most people will bark and howl, and still buy the games.

Any news of this region locking spiling over? I am a bit hesistant to preorder Xillia 2 and Yakuza 5 due to it.

Not yet. And the Treatment of TOGF is any indication (Shower the European version with loads of goodies for the wait) I woudln't worry about it.

Curufinwe

I got my copy at American launch, but as a former PAL gamer I feel really bad for all you guys. Region locking the PS3 version was disgraceful.

Well now, it couldn't be that bad....

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10440

mngNJ.gif

Woah that tread is really awefull .. the "who cares ? you'll get it eventually !" is insulting to the least.

Not yet. And the Treatment of TOGF is any indication (Shower the European version with loads of goodies for the wait) I woudln't worry about it.

NOt to mention that for GracesF there was actual changes made to the game and that they also explained this to their fans ..

This region locking is totally "index corp" fault.

The rest of the games are unnaffected ( i will get xillia 2 ) :p

LegatoB

Because being proactive about your product to all and any potential customers regardless of geographical borders is bad business.
But officially you're not their customer. While I don't think anyone at Atlus USA would personally object to someone importing their product as long as they're buying a legal copy, it's not something they can advocate without stepping on the toes of their Japanese and PAL partners for the release. And I think it should be extremely clear what their partners think of having to actually compete with their fellow foreign distributors for the game.

Top Bottom