• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena European release date bad news [Update: Suffering continues]

.la1n

The point of the region locking was to protect local sales from importing. Well that's kind of moot now, isn't it. No reasonable person is going to wait months for this game.

Publishers need to understand that this is the . reason why people import and/ or pirate games. As Gabe said, is not a matter of pricing, it's service. If people get crappy service, they'll find alternative, more convenient ways to get what they want. Or, they'll just say fuck it altogether.

Region locking, DRM and incomplete games hurt sales. Pricing is rarely the issue.

Very well said, exactly how I look at it.

Callofduty"boykott".jpg. PR doesn't seem to matter too much. Most people will bark and howl, and still buy the games.

Any news of this region locking spiling over? I am a bit hesistant to preorder Xillia 2 and Yakuza 5 due to it.
See I wouldn't feel so sure about that. I think what is more damaging to the eventual European release is that all the U.S. coverage & hype will have come and well gone by the time it comes out.

mclem

The vast majority of regions in Europe have already switched from analogue to digital broadcast. The vast (VAST) majority of HDTVs installed in those homes will support 60Hz refresh rate. The 50/60Hz discrepancy, as far as television broadcast and image replication, is not a factor any more.

I'm aware that most televisions support it, and indeed have supported it for quite some time (heck, I had a 60Hz-capable TV in the late 90's). However, all that's irrelevant if it's still a requirement to support it at the certification level, or if Atlus are simply choosing to support PAL 50Hz, which I believe they still can do.

Whether they *ought* to or not is certainly a matter for valid debate (assuming it's no longer a certification requirement to support it).

I've been away from certification requirements for a fair while now, so perhaps someone with access to more recent TCRs can answer whether games released in Europe are still required to support 50Hz PAL.

Shahed

THe entire game ( text and menu ) has been localised in all languages ( an exemple was shown for french ) ....

That's actually nice of them. I'll have it in my hands in a week.

Both my Graces and Persona pre-orders are for the 31st according to Amazon. I wonder how far apart the actual delivery will be?

That's actually nice of them. I'll have it in my hands in a week.

Both my Graces and Persona pre-orders are for the 31st according to Amazon. I wonder how far apart the actual delivery will be?

Amazon europe is quite fast , expect 2 days before you get your package.
But your persona preorder is ...well..

LuchaShaq

Banned
See I wouldn't feel so sure about that. I think what is more damaging to the eventual European release is that all the U.S. coverage & hype will have come and well gone by the time it comes out.

Agree 100%.

I bought the US version, if this had just come out in the EU and it wasn't coming to the US for 3-6-9+ months? I would both forget it's coming out, and then laugh my ass off when they try to charge full price for an old game.

Conan-san

But officially you're not their customer. While I don't think anyone at Atlus USA would personally object to someone importing their product as long as they're buying a legal copy, it's not something they can advocate without stepping on the toes of their Japanese and PAL partners for the release. And I think it should be extremely clear what their partners think of having to actually compete with their fellow foreign distributors for the game.

In zen's case, their feet don't need to be stepped on so much as crushed into a fine paste and then used as a generic talcum powder used in embarrassing situations.

Westlo

Any chance of this coming out this year?

2190d1342916241-johnny-seps-prop-bets-shenanigans-thread-george_takei_lols.gif

Sucks bro :(

Sorry to bump, but Amazon have emailed me to say they now expect it to ship on September 14th (after previously apologising for a delay). Checked around FB, didn't find anything.

Gotta be a mistake, right?

OMG Aero

Sorry to bump, but Amazon have emailed me to say they now expect it to ship on September 14th (after previously apologising for a delay). Checked around FB, didn't find anything.

They said they would mention it on Facebook and Twitter as soon as they know, so yeah I wouldn't trust Amazon since that's probably just another tentative date.

Raxious

According to their website of GameMania in the Netherlands, the game's coming out here as well on the 14th.

though I'll believe it when I actually have the game in my hands.

TGMIII

If it were to release on the 14th it wouldn't be the first time that Zen have released a game 1-2weeks after announcing a release date but I highly doubt that it'll be releasing on that date since many other online retailers have the date set as September 30th. I'm happy to be wrong though.

McNum

September 14th? As in head-to-head with Tekken Tag Tournament 2?

That has to be the absolute worst release date they could have picked. The trick for P4A was to beat TTT2 to the market. But going directly against it? That's madness. There was a window of opportunity, but it's too late now.

Omikaru

September 14th is a placeholder date by retailers. Maybe PQube released it, if it's based on any "facts", and that wouldn't surprise me; they've been less than helpful with this, and are the ones responsible for the August 31st release date we were given. I'm not sure what's going on, but Zen said they'd tell the community as soon as they knew. That said, considering the level of incompetence displayed by all parties involved, I don't know if they'll bother.

To be honest, I strongly suspect they're sitting on the game at this point, to ride out TTT2 and DOA4.

Pretty much 2013 at this point.

Raxious

I'm waiting untill the end of this month, if there's still no word on the release date I'll be cancelling my pre-order. Cause I don't even expect P4A to have such a large online community, and with games as TTT and DoA coming out soon, I just don't feel like buying a game where the community might be dying already.

Conan-san

Yeah, that's far too fucking early for these jokers. Now if it was Sept. 14th 2013 I might be inclined to believe that.

Omikaru

No surprises here. I'm starting to believe it won't come out in 2012 at this rate. I hope Atlus are proud of themselves.

Andrefpvs

I want to play Golden first despite already having played P4, but this constant delaying of Arena can only mean that Golden will only be even more delayed in Europe
if it ever gets an European release date, that is.

Truly the worst time to be an European Atlus/Persona fan.

Omikaru

Eh, Golden's not so bad. It's pretty import friendly, and I'll probably be playing it before Arena comes out over here.

I want to play Golden first despite already having played P4, but this constant delaying of Arena can only mean that Golden will only be even more delayed in Europe
if it ever gets an European release date, that is.

Truly the worst time to be an European Atlus/Persona fan.

They've said golden will be region free so fuck the euro distributers and import, they deserve it after this p4a clusterfuck of a launch.

NEO0MJ

you had hope ?

Not really, but I was frustrated when I got the e-mail from amazon and felt like bumping this. Never had to deal with this stuff before, as I usually buy US games.
It's so annoying seeing this game a store here, taunting me every time I enter.

OMG Aero

Not really, but I was frustrated when I got the e-mail from amazon and felt like bumping this. Never had to deal with this stuff before, as I usually buy US games.
It's so annoying seeing this game a store here, taunting me every time I enter.
They straight up said this when the whole delay thing started:
Any dates you see online are purely speculation. The first announcement of a release date will happen on the Persona Europe FB page and the Persona.4 FB page. We will then notify our contacts in the main Fighting Game Communities around Europe. If you have not seen a confirmed release date on this page, then it is best taken as a rumour.
So you only have yourself to blame for getting hyped by Amazon.

Omikaru

Watch the stories online and save yourself £40.
I'm really tempted to. I had a thing for fighting games at the start of the gen, but now I can barely bring myself to play one. So really I'm only in it for the story at this point.

It doesn't help that people tell me the gameplay isn't that great under the surface, and the story really isn't up to par with P3 and P4.

Are Atlus still feverishly DMCA'ing story videos on YouTube, or have they realised how futile that is?

remz

What's worse is that haven't even vaguely given more info about the release since the US one, so we're still completely in the dark on when, if ever this game will come out.

klee123

I was apprehensive on buying P4A before since whilst I own a JPN PS3 where I stay during the week where I work, my main PAL PS3 is at home. The constant delays of the PAL version just confirms that Atlus won't see a cent from me.

Dantis

I'm really tempted to. I had a thing for fighting games at the start of the gen, but now I can barely bring myself to play one. So really I'm only in it for the story at this point.

It doesn't help that people tell me the gameplay isn't that great under the surface, and the story really isn't up to par with P3 and P4.

Are Atlus still feverishly DMCA'ing story videos on YouTube, or have they realised how futile that is?

Possibly. When I watched them, they definitely were, so it was just a matter of finding the videos before Atlus took them down again.

And no, the story isn't even close to Persona 3 and 4. It's threadbare on actual plot, repeats itself incessantly and reduces the characters to caricatures of themselves.

Top Bottom