• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena Region-Locked on PS3 - Confirmed [PR statement in OP]

Cactus

Banned
I'm not defending the decision, but I think some of you are being excessive with the hate. We don't even know the official reasoning behind their decision.

Also, let's wait until we're sure this isn't a one-time thing before assuming that all of Atlus' games will be region locked from this point forward.

Gbraga

Yeah guys! Scew Atlus, that will teach one of the only companies willing to import and translate obscure and niche game titles.

You people are ridiculous.

Yeah, because they'll totally think that this game losing support has everything to do with people not caring about their translation of obscure games and not because of the region lock.

Seriously, just because they do something right doesn't mean they get to shit on our face for free. If people don't support this game and they don't do it again, people will go back to support them, it's that simple

I'm not defending the decision, but I think some of you are being excessive with the hate. We don't even know the official reasoning behind their decision.

Also, let's wait until we're sure this isn't a one-time thing before assuming that all of Atlus' games will be region locked from this point forward.

No, let's bitch even more to make sure this IS a one-time thing.

cjkeats

Lets pause the Atlus bash for a second and ask, could this be something the European publisher forced/bitched about?

If not go back on your merry way.

Not buying.

I will put extra copies of Call of Duty in front of it's spot in the rack at Best Buy too, just to be a dick.

rofl immature much?

This is also very much an issue that hits this genre a lot more than RPG's. I love that grace period where no one really knows how to play a fighting game very well yet or still has tons of casual players on. Getting into one of those games while the metagame is already well-developed can be very discouraging if you're just trying to get into it.

The game is already out in arcades in Japan though (and the biggest played fighting game). So its not like everybody will be off brand new going in at the same time. Also I can't help but feel the term metagame is being used inappropriately.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

smh, so officially first PS3 region locked game after 6 years of it's release, shitty accomplishment from Atuls.

I'm not buying this game,and if P4G is also region locked I wont be buying that too.

Publishers can region-lock PS3 games if they want.

Sure, but no one ever did it before Atlus, and just think about it, even shitty publishers like Capcom and EA didn't region locked any of their their games on PS3,Atlus should know that they are doing something really wrong if not even Capcom or EA have done it before.

Gbraga

Lets pause the Atlus bash for a second and ask, could this be something the European publisher forced/bitched about?

If they do have a good reason for that, they should have said it right away. No reason to let people hate. When it was just a rumor ok, but after they confirmed it?

Zafir

The blazblue games weren't region locked, so I can't see why they'd force it for this one.

That a European distributor forced this into a contract with Atlus is the only explanation that makes even a little bit of sense to me. I don't fully understand why Atlus would sign it, unless they're deaf to the constant howls of impatience from their European fans.

Vamphuntr

I guess it's part of their deal with their EU publisher? It's still pretty weird they are doing this. Hopefully other publishers don't do the same. Bring me Growlanser I PSP and all will be forgiven again Atlus.

Yeah guys! Scew Atlus, that will teach one of the only companies willing to import and translate obscure and niche game titles.

You're the one being ridiculous, defending their anti-consumer bullshit.

The funny thing is that Atlus are one of the publishers that have benefited the most from the PS3 being region free. Importers are the reason why Demon's Souls was so hyped up and requested so much, which led to them localising it and it doing so well. And that's not even taking into account the Europeans that would've imported Catherine.

That a European distributor forced this into a contract with Atlus is the only explanation that makes even a little bit of sense to me. I don't fully understand why Atlus would sign it, unless they're deaf to the constant howls of impatience from their European fans.

Which European distributor even has enough leverage to enforce something like that? SquareEnix? Koch Media? Ghostlight? Wouldn't it make more sense to ensure a timely European release instead of being a dick like that? It's so bizarre.

NichM

Banned
i will only believe sony or a proven store to confirm this.

Well, we're telling people in an attempt to be transparent (and an official statement that's not just "some guys on a message board said" is coming, though Aram being out of the office at EVO is delaying that somewhat). We don't want people to waste their money on a copy of the game they won't be able to play.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
rofl immature much?

The game is already out in arcades in Japan though (and the biggest played fighting game). So its not like everybody will be off brand new going in at the same time. Also I can't help but feel the term metagame is being used inappropriately.

The odds of bumping into a super experienced Japanese player around release day won't be as bad vs people still getting into the game. Around one month after what is normally a worldwide release that starts shifting a lot. Don't see how I misused the term metagame in this context, but if you'd care to enlighten me please go ahead.

Well, we're telling people in an attempt to be transparent (and an official statement that's not just "some guys on a message board said" is coming, though Aram being out of the office at EVO is delaying that somewhat). We don't want people to waste their money on a copy of the game they won't be able to play.

Why?

Omikaru

We don't want people to waste their money on a copy of the game they won't be able to play.

Edit: deleted that bit, don't want to come across as bitter or spiteful or anything, and not directing any snipes at you personally. I'm just annoyed at Atlus. Apologies.

Alas, I'm not spending any my money on this game full stop. Region lock is the primary reason. I think this is a bad move by Atlus, and I hope people in the company are hearing what we're saying.

LiK

well, there ya go. Double confirmed. Sorry miladesn.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I guess it's part of their deal with their EU publisher? It's still pretty weird they are doing this. Hopefully other publishers don't do the same. Bring me Growlanser I PSP and all will be forgiven again Atlus.

Many games on PS3 have different publishers in Europe than in America or Japan it's normal, yet no one..absolutely no one has done it before.

Andrefpvs

Let's not forget that some legitimate consumers are getting screwed over here as well!

PS3 was released and advertised from the beginning as a region-free console. This means some Europeans have a Japanese PS3 because PS3 was released later in Europe.

P4A being region-locked means that Europeans who imported a PS3 from a different region will not be able to play an European copy of the game.

Cactus

Banned

That has to be the reason. ZEN were probably afraid that the large gap between releases would lead to a swarm of importers cannibalizing their own sales of what will probably be a fairly popular game.

Again, I'm not defending the decision, but I do think some people should wait for an official answer from ATLUS before boycotting them or feeling "betrayed" or whatever.

snap0212

This is one of the few cases where a boycott of the vocal message board minority could actually mean something. Hope Atlus gets screwed for this move. There's absolutely no excuse for this.

Thanks for being honest. Now, please tell us why. Did Zen United have an influence on the region lock?

Forced? I'm sure there were at least 3 publishers in the EU who Atlus could have gone with.
I'm sure Zen pressured them but for Atlus to agree to this they should have mandated a nigh simultaneous release contractually.

I don't see how Zen wanting the lock prevents Atlus from saying no and going else where or asking for a similar demand like a close release day.

mollipen

Awful. I hope to see some reporting on this from major gaming sites.

So you're saying we're not a "major gaming site"? Ouch. :(

Just noticed that bit of the article. Wow. Not as bad as the Metal Gear Solid Triology but still, come on, do a little research before reporting stuff like that. Sony have said region locking has been optional since the PS3 launched.

Hey, guess what? People make mistakes sometimes. I was honestly under the impression that the region locking stuff wasn't available from the start.

The thing about that theory is, why on earth would Atlus bow to the whims of one of the weakest publishers in Europe? Unless Ghostlight and Rising Star Games have already passed on it, which I find very hard to believe.

I imported Catherine because Atlus treats Europe like some red-headed stepchild.

That way I didn't have to wait 6-9 months between an inter-Western release, which is ridiculous.

Sorry Atlus but you lost some goodwill from me on this one. Don't try this with P4G please, I'd like to play that game in 2012 thank you very much.

I was planning on getting the 360 version, so this doesn't affect me personally, but I think we will be moving more toward things like this in the future rather than further away.

The thing about that theory is, why on earth would Atlus bow to the whims of one of the weakest publishers in Europe? Unless Ghostlight and Rising Star Games have already passed on it, which I find very hard to believe.

Rising Star and Zen are both trash. :/

I can't really talk about the reasons why, sorry. I'm only posting here to emphasize that this is not a lie on anyone's part and people shouldn't go buying the game from a different region under the assumption that this is a bluff.

Regardless, thanks for your information.

*Everyone, direct your anger towards this site: http://www.zen-united.biz/contact/

Zafir

I imported Catherine because Atlus treats Europe like some red-headed stepchild.

That way I didn't have to wait 9 months between an inter-Western release, which is ridiculous.

Sorry Atlus but you lost some goodwill from me on this one. Don't try this with P4G please, I'd like to play that game in 2012 thank you very much.
Ditto.

I'm not entirely disappointed at not playing Arena, since I'm not big on fighters anyway, but if this happened to P4G too... :/

NichM

Banned
Thanks for being honest. Now, please tell us why. Did Zen United have an influence on the region lock?

I can't really talk about the reasons why, sorry. I'm only posting here to emphasize that this is not a lie on anyone's part and people shouldn't go buying the game from a different region under the assumption that this is a bluff.

Uthred

Gaming companies arent your friends, the relationship between publisher and consumer is a purely financial one. Now certainly they can garner "goodwill" and enhance brand loyalty but they arent selling these games as a favour to us, theyre selling them at a profit as a business. As such whenever they make a business decision that people find unpopular they should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

The only thing thats ridiculous is the slavish unthinking loyalty displayed by consumers such as yourselves who are all too happy to acquiese to whatever bullshit publishers come out with.

Omikaru

This. I'd be really disappointed if Persona 4 Golden was locked. I really don't want to wait for someone to localise that. If it's anything like P3P, it'll be a 10 month wait.

Will P4G be region locked in the US also?

xxczx

Many games on PS3 have different publishers in Europe than in America or Japan it's normal, yet no one..absolutely no one has done it before.
Europe publisher for P4A is pushing this hard to get it to sell, people importing because of the release distance will be money loss

BlackJace

Heh, sorry guys. I feel for those affected by this dick move.
Anyways, borrow from friends, watch on YouTube, anything. This is a really great game, and I'm fucking furious that its being shafted by this decision.

As I said before: For fucking shame, Atlus.

snap0212

Would you be mad that people now want this product to sell horribly / fail completely just to make sure this won't be remembered as being a good decision?
Will P4G be region locked in the US also?
Sony's always advertised PS Vita games as being region free. If P4G wasn't then you'd probably have a very good case of false advertising & have the ability to return the product for a full refund. At least in Europe.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I find it baffling how you would want to be the trailblazer for being anti-consumer on the PS3.

Being the actual very first region locked retail release in the history of a console that has been out for 5 years 7 months and 24 days.
There are things you don't want to be first at. This is one of them.

My stance: Tit for tat. I won't be buying it and I will actively dissuade anyone that considers it.

Europe publisher for P4A is pushing this hard to get it to sell, people importing because of the release distance will be money loss

Maybe if the European publisher gave it a freaking release date, and one that wasn't several months apart from the US release then people might give a toss

Uthred

Oh and could we perhaps stop with the "ITZ ARE ALL ZENZ FAULTZ WE LUV U ATLUZ" speculation that people have pulled entirely out of their arse? The official statement from Atlus linked in the EGM article states that the game is locked in ALL regions i.e. NA, EU and JPN, and its pretty fucking unlikely that Zen is responsible for the Japanese version being region locked

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gaming companies arent your friends, the relationship between publisher and consumer is a purely financial one. Now certainly they can garner "goodwill" and enhance brand loyalty but they arent selling these games as a favour to us, theyre selling them at a profit as a business. As such whenever they make a business decision that people find unpopular they should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

The only thing thats ridiculous is the slavish unthinking loyalty displayed by consumers such as yourselves who are all too happy to acquiese to whatever bullshit publishers come out with.

If you live in the US and you were already planning to buy this game then there is no logical reason you should choose to boycott the title. It's a decision that doesn't affect you as a consumer. The mass outrage at a decision thats completely irrelevant is pretty asinine. Even more so if you haven't taken this stance before and have supported companies that support region locking like Nintendo.

Now if you're living in Europe then you can bitch all you want. But it might not be Atlus you want to direct your bitching at.

Top Bottom