• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena Region-Locked on PS3 - Confirmed [PR statement in OP]

For 3DS I'd say just go get the Japanese version if you read Japanese without problem..
Especially if you like SMT and Etrian Odyssey...
You can use U.S issued credit cards on the JP eshop so there's no reason to buy the U.S one.
Region lock sucks, but that should not be the reason to miss those good games...

I'd really rather not spend extra money importing various hardware and software as it releases when I could be spending money in support of developers/publishers who offer me their products without question

The main thing that irks me, is that a handful of my Atlus collection is games I've imported, and was happy to import because the hardware/software allowed it, despite the fact that those games didn't officially release in Europe (for example, Devil Survivor) I went out of my way, spent extra money to buy the US version and thus giving Atlus a +1 sale because the DS was region free - same with Catherine, I'm not happy to wait months and months on end to play a game purely because of where I live, if the game is available in English then I want to be given the opportunity to import it, should I choose to. It shouldn't even be an issue when we've got such globalized technological hardware on the market.

I can appreciate that distribution is different, and may take longer across Europe, so I'd be okay with perhaps waiting a month or so between US/EU releases, but 6 months+? Not a chance, and if you see the post earlier in the thread showing the discrepancy between the two launches then you can see this is often the case, and again, in some cases we never even had a European release at all - which is why in the past I chose not to support these smaller European publishers, I'd rather have the opportunity to spend extra money and buy directly from Atlus US and the US retailers, and I'd say the majority of the fans of Atlus games would do the same.

And now having to consider the idea that Atlus is supporting region locked hardware exclusively, and are possibly choosing to region lock software as well, the're basically denying my custom, and it sucks/ European Atlus fan rant

Region locking wasn't introduced with any firmware update update though it was always there. Disappointing that they're doing this. x:

Just noticed that bit of the article. Wow. Not as bad as the Metal Gear Solid Triology but still, come on, do a little research before reporting stuff like that. Sony have said region locking has been optional since the PS3 launched.

I feel for people who don't like this. It's the reason I haven't gotten a 3DS, nor do I plan to until a main line Pokemon release...

But I still have to buy this game. :( I love Persona 4 way too much.

Domstercool

Don't know if I've missed something, but if indeed Sony did say region free is optional, then why haven't we seen more of it? It's optional on the Xbox 360, and we've seen a lot more games region locked because of it... Please answer? :/

Omikaru

Appalling.

People shouldn't support companies that practise price fixing via technological lockouts.

When it comes to companies, assume that they don't employ community managers and bombard their inboxes with polite e-mails telling them why you did not purchase their product.

I guess so. Done and done. Both Atlus USA and Zen United have got an email from me, stating that I will not buy the game because of this.

So many people upset over this =/

And I was hoping P4A would do well in the competitive scene. Shit deserves to be better than loldoa after how many times DOA failed.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want it to fail, but I don't want this to be encouraged :/

Exactly how I feel. I want this to succeed to pave the way for more Persona/SMT products to get made. I've had the luxury of getting into these games years after most of them came out so Persona 4 aside I have never had to wait x months longer for a game I'm interested in before in the series. Now that the games have me hooked those wait times will be excruciating. Having them go out of business due to fan backlash is of course also not in my best interest, so it's a shitty situation.

Don't know if I've missed something, but if indeed Sony did say region free is optional, then why haven't we seen more of it? It's optional on the Xbox 360, and we've seen a lot more games region locked because of it... Please answer? :/

This has already been answered numerous times in this very thread. Microsoft will only let games that've been through cert for all regions be region free, which costs a lot more money. Sony doesn't.

Venfayth

So many people upset over this =/

And I was hoping P4A would do well in the competitive scene. Shit deserves to be better than loldoa after how many times DOA failed.

I think people who were looking to play this game on a more competitive level won't be dissuaded by this. I think they're less likely to refuse to buy a game because of something like this.

I could be wrong though ~

RyanDG

I know that the article stated that this was the first region locked PS3 title, but wasn't there another one earlier... Something to do with a movie on the disk that required region locking? Back in 2007 or 2008 or so?

Omikaru

I know that the article stated that this was the first region locked PS3 title, but wasn't there another one earlier... Something to do with a movie on the disk that required region locking? Back in 2007 or 2008 or so?

Stranglehold. And Midway u-turned on that decision.

LiK

Stranglehold

edit: beaten

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

No. Stranglehold/Midway recanted on it.

Also I already have the game pre-ordered so... :/ Bad move by Atlus all around though. Can't you import the Japan version? Or did they patch region locking in that?

Uthred

I think people who were looking to play this game on a more competitive level won't be dissuaded by this. I think they're less likely to refuse to buy a game because of something like this.

I could be wrong though ~

Unless of course those hardcore players live in Europe, in which case theyre fucked as the wait is now compounded by a skill/experience gap

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Unless of course those hardcore players live in Europe, in which case theyre fucked as the wait is now compounded by a skill/experience gap

This is also very much an issue that hits this genre a lot more than RPG's. I love that grace period where no one really knows how to play a fighting game very well yet or still has tons of casual players on. Getting into one of those games while the metagame is already well-developed can be very discouraging if you're just trying to get into it.

Andrefpvs

I'm too much of a Persona fan to decide to not ever play this game, but the least I can do is not purchase it in 2012 or until Golden is published in Europe.

Dick move. As an Atlus fan, I nearly feel heartbroken.

inner-G

Banned
Not buying.

I will put extra copies of Call of Duty in front of it's spot in the rack at Best Buy too, just to be a dick.

Torraz

Not buying.

I will put extra copies of Call of Duty in front of it's spot in the rack at Best Buy too, just to be a dick.

Those would probably get bought up too quickly, revealing persona. Just use some old sports game or something like that ;).

Yeah guys! Scew Atlus, that will teach one of the only companies willing to import and translate obscure and niche game titles.

You people are ridiculous.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Well, if there is one silver lining....at least something was said before you all received your useless copies.

High Fives?

Man, this is so disappointing. Atlus is a gamers publisher and this really hurts their reputation. I really want to know the reason for that.

Yeah guys! Scew Atlus, that will teach one of the only companies willing to import and translate obscure and niche game titles.

You people are ridiculous.

Brings games over and then region-locks them. Thanks for nothing I guess, lol.

notworksafe

This is also very much an issue that hits this genre a lot more than RPG's. I love that grace period where no one really knows how to play a fighting game very well yet or still has tons of casual players on. Getting into one of those games while the metagame is already well-developed can be very discouraging if you're just trying to get into it.

Well NA buyers will have the same issue, since the Japanese have been playing this for a while in arcades.

Pooya

I won't believe this until it's confirmed by a 3rd party like play-asia, I think Atlus is not telling the truth here. feel pretty confident it will be region free :)

Zafir

No sale.

Glad my order from PlanetAxel for it got refunded now. >.>

Not completely surprised mind you, their staff never seemed to be that kind to the importing topic.

Top Bottom