• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

my pool has me playing Jyosua in the first round. Tectal Eastside then shows up in the second if I somehow get past Jyosua. I'm not even getting 1 win lol (losers wont go well im sure)

Oooh, I just found your Pool and Buttface is in it. Get to play against a good Marie

Oh so you're in the same pool as my friend then lol

I wish I could say I have confidence in being able to do ok in my own pool, but in reality I'm almost certainly going 0-2 here >.>

Shouta

my pool has me playing Jyosua in the first round. Tectal Eastside then shows up in the second if I somehow get past Jyosua. I'm not even getting 1 win lol (losers wont go well im sure)

Oooh, I just found your Pool and Buttface is in it. Get to play against a good Marie

Marie doesn't scare me one bit, not as Ken lol

Rhapsody

Banned
In my bracket I think I'll make it to Chou. Practicing up some stuff against Ken lately.

While I'm not expecting that I'll beat him, but at the same time I'm not extremely scared either.

Koro's obviously dumb, but Narukami does decently in the MU.

Anne

Nah, unless something changes behind the scenes the patch is stuck in limbo between the two publishers. Might take awhile.

Anne

Last time, you said this:

I'm personally not convinced that's the case; possibly, 2.0 was never planned for console release in the first place.

Eh, back then it still looked like the normal way ASW botches these things. Now it seems more likely ASW went off the rails between whatever Atlus was doing.

cj_iwakura

Finished Episode Adachi. Prologue was the only enjoyable part, the rest was rehash city.

What's the maximum penalty for killing two people, death? He's a dead man then. They'll never confirm it with his uber popularity, but still.

And Adachi being happy to see him, WTF. Good job on killing two people and endangering my daughter, oh you silly goose.

Rhapsody

Banned
There hasn't been a post here in awhile, but I still think this writeup by SKD is a worthy bump.
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...d-gameplay-discussion/&page=49#comment-937921

Persona seems to have a lot of players that are new to fighters and want to get into the competitive side of things, so I feel like this was a good place to post this (already posted this in the general FG thread). Too many times people get crippled into reaching top level play because of online. They don't realize what they're getting away with and don't realize what's a bad idea or what shouldn't be working. This leads to a lot of stagnation for midlevel players and just get stuck there while thinking they are top level.

People can learn a lot from netplay still, but you need to be able discern the differences of what will work offline. SKD's writeup is good, and hopefully it makes people give a critical look at their own play.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Episode Adachi. Prologue was the only enjoyable part, the rest was rehash city.

What's the maximum penalty for killing two people, death? He's a dead man then. They'll never confirm it with his uber popularity, but still.

And Adachi being happy to see him, WTF. Good job on killing two people and endangering my daughter, oh you silly goose.

Arena's story was serviceable but Ultimax was a trainwreck. This was akin to a direct-to-video Disney sequel in terms of quality writing. DAN is only slightly better I'm afraid.

There hasn't been a post here in awhile, but I still think this writeup by SKD is a worthy bump.
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...d-gameplay-discussion/&page=49#comment-937921

Persona seems to have a lot of players that are new to fighters and want to get into the competitive side of things, so I feel like this was a good place to post this (already posted this in the general FG thread). Too many times people get crippled into reaching top level play because of online. They don't realize what they're getting away with and don't realize what's a bad idea or what shouldn't be working. This leads to a lot of stagnation for midlevel players and just get stuck there while thinking they are top level.

People can learn a lot from netplay still, but you need to be able discern the differences of what will work offline. SKD's writeup is good, and hopefully it makes people give a critical look at their own play.

Thanks for sharing this, that was a good read.

its a good read, but not really anything I didn't know already.

It sucks only getting to play netplay, but there is no scene in pittsburgh

Nice to see this thread thriving. Decided to hop on for a bit to see how things were and online was pretty much dead, which is a shame. I'm guessing that there's been no further updates on the latest version coming to console, right? Figures that Labrys would get an incarnation that looks crazy fun and I'll never get to use it.

Marz

Nice to see this thread thriving. Decided to hop on for a bit to see how things were and online was pretty much dead, which is a shame. I'm guessing that there's been no further updates on the latest version coming to console, right? Figures that Labrys would get an incarnation that looks crazy fun and I'll never get to use it.

Good news is once Persona 5 comes out we're almost guaranteed to get another arena game with 5's characters.

Good news is once Persona 5 comes out we're almost guaranteed to get another arena game with 5's characters.
with how much atlus cares about fitting canon into every spinoff I'm not so sure. It would require a Persona Q level of fuckery, or they would have to redo all the sprites of the existing characters to age them up.

Saikyo

Just make it a dreammatch with P5 cast as guests, done.

After the plot of Arena and Ultimax I dont see much hype for a story mode of this spin-off...

Just make it a dreammatch with P5 cast as guests, done.

After the plot of Arena and Ultimax I dont see much hype for a story mode of this spin-off...
I really enjoyed the story in arena, ultimax was definitely bad though. Atlus would never release a persona game without some kind of story. I don't blame them, their sales definitely depend on it. However they could release something that just has a random non-canon fun story but they seem wholly unwilling to do that. This is what makes me think another arena using P5 characters is unlikely. If it does happen, I expect some fuckery so that they don't have to redo all the sprites

FluxWaveZ

I really enjoyed the story in arena, ultimax was definitely bad though. Atlus would never release a persona game without some kind of story. I don't blame them, their sales definitely depend on it. However they could release something that just has a random non-canon fun story but they seem wholly unwilling to do that. This is what makes me think another arena using P5 characters is unlikely. If it does happen, I expect some fuckery so that they don't have to redo all the sprites

You're assuming that a P4U3 would use sprites.

FluxWaveZ

Well, if ASW makes it again its a pretty safe assumption. Xrd style seems unlikely since by all accounts that is more work than sprites

Where did they say that? From the GDC talk I watched and from what Chev has said, it sounds like it's about the same amount of work. You know that they make 3D models to then transform them into sprites for BlazBlue, right?

Where did they say that? From the GDC talk I watched and from what Chev has said, it sounds like it's about the same amount of work. You know that they make 3D models to then transform them into sprites for BlazBlue, right?
yes, though the models in guilty gear are done a lot differently. Let me see if I can find the info. Shaowebb posted it in FGC as he was looking into how it was done.

found it
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181720482&postcount=7390

I dont have the source of the dissertation he mentions though

FluxWaveZ

yes, though the models in guilty gear are done a lot differently. Let me see if I can find the info. Shaowebb posted it in FGC as he was looking into how it was done.

found it
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181720482&postcount=7390

I dont have the source of the dissertation he mentions though

Interesting take on it from that person but, again, the actual team said sprites in previous games and Xrd models are about the same amount of work:
“How does making a character compare to the previous Guilty Gear games,” I asked.

Ishiwatari replied, “It’s quite hard to compare because we’ve never worked on sprites this big being in 1080p, but the 3D artwork takes about the same amount of effort to make one character as past entries. In some places it’s easier, in some places it’s harder, so it kind of balances out.”
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/18/discussing-guilty-gear-xrd-signs-tech-daisuke-ishiwatari/

And it makes sense, because they're working directly with models, instead of ones that would need to then be converted to sprites.

Interesting take on it from that person but, again, the actual team said sprites in previous games and Xrd models are about the same amount of work:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/18/discussing-guilty-gear-xrd-signs-tech-daisuke-ishiwatari/
Im surprised I missed that from daisuke

Either way, I stand by my thought. I really wouldnt expect them to make whole new sprites, likewise I wouldnt expect them to put in the same amount of work to create them in a GG style. I would be pleasantly surprised if they did, but ASW starting over from scratch in a series only 2 games old just seems unlikely. They invest too much into each game as it is. It could always happen, especially if atlus foots the bill, I just don't see it as likely

FluxWaveZ

I liked the Ultimax story better than Arena. A lot less repitition, and more resolution. So nice seeing Junpei and Yukari again.

I far preferred Ultimax's story over Arena. The format of P4A was trash; the linear structure of P4AU alone puts it above the first game's for me.

Top Bottom