• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Judging by your avatar you play Yosuke, so go nuts.

I actually play mainly Adachi, though rather poorly :p . I got my avatar off of some Space Jam mix with Yosuke's theme.

I tried using other characters, but they seem so much harder to use/get good combos with. For example, with Aigis it was basically impossible for me to do any decent combos, it took me a long time just to get to Challenge 20. I occasionally use Elizabeth online, but basically all I do is hope that I can win with 5C, 2C, the occasional 5D, and random Ghastly Wails (no real combos).

Anne

Ah Adachi DP. I hate that thing even though it's not very good as a DP. It's so slow I have to OS differently against it, and sometimes I forget to block high on safejumps or the wonky hitbox catches me out of things other overall better DPs can't hit.

Yeah, Adachi's DP is somewhat slow compared to others. The overhead catches some people, I even used it a couple times against people blocking low to end games. Occasionally I'll whiff the overhead and someone will try to punish but the kick gets them.

I think its horizontal range is pretty good (as far as, if not farther than, his non-persona normals), and vertical range actually isn't too bad. It's just that against people who decide to jump and set something up on my wakeup, if I DP I sometimes lunge right underneath them and whiff the whole thing.

On the bright side, Adachi can combo off CH, but that's going to be removed in 2.0. But it's also being reduced to 5% blue health, which is good, but I don't really get why it was 10% in the first place. It's not like it was extremely good in the first place. Maybe since it was a relatively quick overhead they wanted to make it so you can't constantly make enemies guess between ending blockstrings high or low? IDK honestly.

Finally made it to red, and perfect timing with BBCPEX right around the corner. It's funny, a run of Mitsurus, Yosukes and Chies nearly brought me down to a light green and then a run of not having to face those characters brought me all the way up to red. I don't know if that's an indictment of how match-up heavy this game is, or how incompetent I am at learning said match-ups.
(Probably more that I'm bad and play bad characters.)

IAD back jD to cut off Jiraiya's jD/5D. Pray I get a counterhit 2B/jB. If I block I lose. The S-Hold gimmick usually only works once. It is not fun, lol.

Mdesilva

Finally made it to red, and perfect timing with BBCPEX right around the corner. It's funny, a run of Mitsurus, Yosukes and Chies nearly brought me down to a light green and then a run of not having to face those characters brought me all the way up to red. I don't know if that's an indictment of how match-up heavy this game is, or how incompetent I am at learning said match-ups.
(Probably more that I'm bad and play bad characters.)

Nah she has worse matchups than Mitsuru and Chie. Yosuke is Yosuke though

I'm curious as to what they are. I don't really have major problems with other characters unless it's user error on my end. Yu, maybe, but I generally do alright when I pick Kanji against him.

Shouta

Why does it feel like the only people that play in the Lobbies are like not on the west coast, all i get are 0 and 1 bar people. =(

Rhapsody

Banned
I offered to play you shouta D:

Socal to there shouldn't be that bad. I don't play Mon-Thurs though because of school. Also to prevent hand injury too.

Nyoro SF

Why does it feel like the only people that play in the Lobbies are like not on the west coast, all i get are 0 and 1 bar people. =(

It really is awful.

Then you jump on the machine and the zero-bars swarm, and bitch when you tell them you don't want to play.

Mdesilva

I could probably connect to you (from TX) if you want to play. Did a lot of grinding with Axis last week so I'm getting the Yukari vs Ken matchup figured out. Would love more practice. Not going to be around this weekend though.

Shouta

Seattle to Texas or TN would probably be badddd, lol.

Yukari vs Ken is annoying for Ken but not nearly as bad as Aigis is for him. I played DC in the side tourney at FR and he was using Yukari too. Aside from being rusty and tired from traveling, it wasn't a rough match-up though I lost because of the above.

My Ken isn't anything like Axis', or Shaka's since you're often in his channel when streaming Mdesilva. Or at least I think that's you, lol. I don't use the combo routes that they use, which as far as I can tell are derived more from Kubo's stuff. I end up getting slightly more damage overall or a lot more damage with clean B punishes. =o

Mdesilva

I'm in North Texas and my internet is (usually) pretty good so I actually can connect to most people in the US pretty well, so it's worth a try.

Yukari vs Ken is probably even actually. But a good Yukari can mess you up. Luckily for everyone else, those don't exist in the US. The few of us that actively play working on it though, and we're also trying to teach other players how this character works too so they can learn to fight or play as her.

Does watching the entire intro improve anything if you're at a decent-good connection (3bar connection) ? Just wondering cuz today I had a 3 bar with someone, and (s)he got mad and told me to leave since I kept skipping part of the intro. I know that if you're at a 0 bar, then it might be better to wait the whole thing.

Anne

Give it a second or two after everything smooths out on the character intros, then you're good to go. Don't have to let it play out all the way, just enough for the variable delay to sync up and become stable.

Give it a second or two after everything smooths out on the character intros, then you're good to go. Don't have to let it play out all the way, just enough for the variable delay to sync up and become stable.

OK thanks, I thought it was a bit unnecessary to go through the whole thing. Not exactly sure why I was told to leave the station. I think I just have some ability to piss people off when I play. Even today, I was getting beaten a ton by some guy, but s(he) still complained alot about my '2 button netplay tactics' (DP and rolling a lot, not even necessarily on wakeup). It was somewhat funny to me, though apparently I'm going on youtube for the time(s) that I got completely destroyed.

Anne

The lobbies in general are funny. Natplay BS is a thing that exists cause lol netplay, but people go in too hard for whatever reason.

The lobbies in general are funny. Natplay BS is a thing that exists cause lol netplay, but people go in too hard for whatever reason.

Netplay tactics means things that you can do just because of lag right? Because we were on a 4 bar, so I'm not sure if netplay is the right word to use. Noob-friendly tactics, I can agree with, especially since that's part of the reason why I use the characters I use.

But yeah, things happen in lobbies. Arguments, calling each other noobs, and waifu wars come to mind. I think there's a player I see somewhat frequently who almost never fights in the lobbies, and I'm guessing it's to witness these events.

The RPers are the goofiest shit I've ever seen. There were a ton back in the BBCP lobbies as well. Don't even attempt to play the game. They just sit there and try, in the worst manner possible, to act like their avatar. I've seen enough chibi Adachis running around calling people whores for one lifetime.

I think I've only witnessed one or two RPers in P4AU lobbies, to be honest, and even then I'm not entirely sure since I didn't read enough of the conversations. I've seen people calling each other 'free' and saying they'll 5-0 each other, or saying they suck even though they lose many times in succession. Also I saw someone run around saying 'Chie is worst girl' or something, which quite quickly got at least one person to respond and say the offender's avatar (Mitsuru) sucks and Chie is best.

Shouta

Played a zero bar Yukiko last night. Horrible connection but amusing fun nonetheless.

IAD is so good for getting around with Ken especially since his run has that weird start-up.

Fought a good Kanji player today and the player said I gave some Adachi matchup experience. I feel kind of bad though since I may have given the impression that half of Adachi's gameplan is to J.C and DP as often as possible, and also randomly throwing out J.2D and Sb Atom Smashers.

How are other ArcSys fighters compared to P4AU, if anyone played those? I saw a few gameplay videos of Guilty Gear Xrd and characters seem to noticeably slower around the screen.

Fought a good Kanji player today and the player said I gave some Adachi matchup experience. I feel kind of bad though since I may have given the impression that half of Adachi's gameplan is to J.C and DP as often as possible, and also randomly throwing out J.2D and Sb Atom Smashers.

How are other ArcSys fighters compared to P4AU, if anyone played those? I saw a few gameplay videos of Guilty Gear Xrd and characters seem to noticeably slower around the screen.
GGXrd is much tougher execution

Blazblue is my favorite fighter

Anne

As far as raw game speed goes, Persona is the fastest ASW game out there. Characters and animations and thigns are just quick. As far as pacing goes, Xrd is probably much faster. BBCP is also really fast paced. The thing about Persona is, even though the game speed is fast, neutral plays out at a slow pace for a huge number of reasons, and once pressure starts you can take more time to make certain kinds of decisions. In Xrd, if you get put into a situation you don't have time to think, you just gotta do something.

BB varies a bit more in pacing, it can be stupid fast or pretty tame depending on how the MU is playing out.

Also, Persona is the most simple and straightforward. Hitboxes tend to make more sense, the game is focused on more traditional neutral (P4U vanilla especially so), and execution and confirms aren't super strict. In fact, Persona is the least strict of the big 3 ASW games so it lends itself to be the one that gives the player the most creativity in deciding how they wanna do things at the basic level. Then you go play Xrd and the game is more about crazy neutral and characters being very strong, and BB is probably the most tame but has a lot of different decision making and reactions to mess with.

GGXrd is much tougher execution

Blazblue is my favorite fighter

As far as raw game speed goes, Persona is the fastest ASW game out there. Characters and animations and thigns are just quick. As far as pacing goes, Xrd is probably much faster. BBCP is also really fast paced. The thing about Persona is, even though the game speed is fast, neutral plays out at a slow pace for a huge number of reasons, and once pressure starts you can take more time to make certain kinds of decisions. In Xrd, if you get put into a situation you don't have time to think, you just gotta do something.

BB varies a bit more in pacing, it can be stupid fast or pretty tame depending on how the MU is playing out.

Also, Persona is the most simple and straightforward. Hitboxes tend to make more sense, the game is focused on more traditional neutral (P4U vanilla especially so), and execution and confirms aren't super strict. In fact, Persona is the least strict of the big 3 ASW games so it lends itself to be the one that gives the player the most creativity in deciding how they wanna do things at the basic level. Then you go play Xrd and the game is more about crazy neutral and characters being very strong, and BB is probably the most tame but has a lot of different decision making and reactions to mess with.

OK thanks. I'm not exactly good at any of the fighting games I've played, and my execution and reaction speeds are pretty bad. I thought that maybe since the characters seemed to move a bit slower in Xrd that maybe the game's pacing might be a bit slower and possibly easier on defence. I haven't really seen any blazblue though, outside of maybe 1 video a while ago.

cj_iwakura

Elizabeth has been downright spayed in this version.

She's still my main, but yeesh.

Adachi is my definite sub. He's growing on me fast, and his voice is the best.

Mdesilva

So I made a quick video on punishing Yosuke's DP with Yukari. Orbs being as active as they are really helps to hit counters during their recovery

https://youtu.be/bM5bkOIbKA8

Also if you haven't checked out my channel yet you should, I have videos of other Yukari tech, matches with players like Jona, Tectal, and LK, and mirrored P4U2 vids from nico. Sorry for the self-promotion >.<

FluxWaveZ

5D. And yeah, the startup is awful, but so good if it goes through.

Even if it doesn't get punished during start-up, what it does is let the opponent build a whole bunch of free meter by insta blocking it relentlessly. An awful move to use at neutral, and is basically only useful right after the opponent's been knocked down or when they're on the defensive for whatever reason, to push them towards the wall or for mix-ups.

Anne

Adachi 5D is mostly just used for unblockable stuff, every now and then you get a free one in neutral but that's rare and even then there are usually better things to be doing.

Mdesilva

Sorry we didn't play more cj_iwakura, Bace asked to play ahead of time.

Also I'm still bad at fighting Liz (and netplay wasn't letting me tech her DP at all either???)

Top Bottom