• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Are you not putting too much emphasis on tier lists? They are totally irrelevant to anyone who doesn't play at a tournament level.
well I am going to evo
to donate 10 bucks to the pot

Marie's problems from playing her though transcend tier lists. She really feels half baked a lot of the time. I really enjoy playing whats there, but she constantly feels like she needed more time in the oven.

EDIT: I stuck with Noel when she was garbage tier

FluxWaveZ

Says the guy who mains an S tier character in Smash and Guilty Gear Xrd. ;)

Tiers are useless. The only reason I will main a character in any fighting game is because I like them on a surface level. I've not taken Smash or Xrd anywhere near as seriously as I ever did for Persona, and I did not main top tiers in P4A; just characters I liked aesthetically.

Edit: It's also pretty pointless to bring up a character like Zato-1 in this kind of discussion, given that he's the most technical character in the game, and you and I are pretty garbage with him, especially if we're to consider his placement in tier lists.

Rhapsody

Banned
I feel like tiers are pretty irrelevant to the average level of tournament play in NA too.

A lot of players just aren't putting enough work to the point where it becomes a thing.

Tiers are useless. The only reason I will main a character in any fighting game is because I like them on a surface level. I've not taken Smash or Xrd anywhere near as seriously as I ever did for Persona, and I did not main top tiers in P4A; just characters I liked aesthetically.

Edit: It's also pretty pointless to bring up a character like Zato-1 in this kind of discussion, given that he's the most technical character in the game, and you and I are pretty garbage with him, especially if we're to consider his placement in tier lists.
Oh, I know. I was speaking tongue-in-cheek about Zato.

However, tiers matter even at intermediate play. When I played BlazBlue, I could FEEL how bad Tager was compared to other characters. 90% of my match against a skilled opponent was blocking. You can also feel how limited some Smash characters are, like Mii Sword Fighter. In P4A, Liz feels slow and bad.

Rhapsody

Banned
Oh, I know. I was speaking tongue-in-cheek about Zato.

However, tiers matter even at intermediate play. When I played BlazBlue, I could FEEL how bad Tager was compared to other characters. 90% of my match against a skilled opponent was blocking. You can also feel how limited some Smash characters are, like Mii Sword Fighter. In P4A, Liz feels slow and bad.

There needs to be a level of understanding on matchups before tiers truly start taking effect. It's something that a lot of people lack on the knowledge aspect of the game, imo, that's all. I've seen this happen a lot when I tried discussing Vanilla P4A with GAF back in the day, so I gave up. Especially when people took an older tier list to heart for granted and stood by it while the game was still developing in Japan.

Even on matchups, so many people claimed them to "feel bad", but in reality there was just a learning curve on one side for a 5:5 matchup.

Nyoro SF

I play Minazuki and I feel awesome no matter what I'm doing.
And for the record, I always dash under Narukami's DP after I block it or he whiffs. :p

There needs to be a level of understanding on matchups before tiers truly start taking effect. It's something that a lot of people lack on the knowledge aspect of the game, imo, that's all. I've seen this happen a lot when I tried discussing Vanilla P4A with GAF back in the day, so I gave up. Especially when people took an older tier list to heart for granted and stood by it while the game was still developing in Japan.

Even on matchups, so many people claimed them to "feel bad", but in reality there was just a learning curve on one side for a 5:5 matchup.
I completely agree with you.

I just recently looked at the changes again...

Looks like no more Adachi rage tactics or YOLO Atom Smashers. But you only lose 5% HP from DP as compared to the previous 10%, so now I can DP 2X as often as I used to!

I think nerfs outweigh buffs for him, but I'll probably still stick with him though.

Also, this was something I wasn't sure of for a while, but when it says "Panic: can block by holding directional inputs in either direction" does it mean that you cannot cross people up anymore?

Anne

P4U2 2.0 tier lists from Arcadia were posted.

B_2VZZNWQAIW57J.png

(from Jourdal's twitter).

YMST is basically wrote an entire book on P4U over the course of what he wrote, and was the #1 Mits and Akihiko and in the top 10 Narukamis when 1.1 ended. Taihichi was #1 Yukari and currently #1 Margaret and is thought pretty highly of.

cross post

Rhapsody

Banned
Been busy with projects and studying for finals this week. Next week I finally I get to have time to play more.

Going to set some goals for Evo and figure out what I've yet to practice to try and reach them.

Trying to figure out how to maximize punishes off certain moves lately.
Same goes for figuring out what I can punish mid blockstring on regular and IB.

Continuing the Evo grind.

thanks for the matches rhapsody. Yu exposes all of my weaknesses pretty badly, glad I was able to steal two games from you.

I still struggle with j.C loops online, even though im like 99% offline

Rhapsody

Banned
thanks for the matches rhapsody. Yu exposes all of my weaknesses pretty badly, glad I was able to steal two games from you.

I still struggle with j.C loops online, even though im like 99% offline

GGs. I showed you my embarrassing Naoto lol. First I used her this version, but I want to learn her.

Muscle memory wasn't quite there for real matches for me, haha.

GGs. I showed you my embarrassing Naoto lol. First I used her this version, but I want to learn her.

Muscle memory wasn't quite there for real matches for me, haha.
lol, your marge combos are damn nice though

I have so much trouble getting in on Yu, j.C is an easy counter, and my A and B normals are so much slower than Yu. I also need to badly just block when coming down from the air in that matchup, Yu's anti air is just so much faster than anything I have

EDIT: did you also noticve how much more consistent my j.C loops were against marge? for some reason online the characters that use the 2B route dont give me as much trouble, Yu uses the 5C route

Rhapsody

Banned
lol, your marge combos are damn nice though

I have so much trouble getting in on Yu, j.C is an easy counter, and my A and B normals are so much slower than Yu. I also need to badly just block when coming down from the air in that matchup, Yu's anti air is just so much faster than anything I have

EDIT: did you also noticve how much more consistent my j.C loops were against marge? for some reason online the characters that use the 2B route dont give me as much trouble, Yu uses the 5C route

Yeah, it definitely looked a lot more consistent on Margaret. As for the Yu matchup, it's definitely tough.
There's definitely too much that Marie has to be careful of.

Also that was the first time I dealt with someone using j.D from that height from high up. I need to look into seeing what's the best option against that.

Yeah, it definitely looked a lot more consistent on Margaret. As for the Yu matchup, it's definitely tough.
There's definitely too much that Marie has to be careful of.

Also that was the first time I dealt with someone using j.D from that height from high up. I need to look into seeing what's the best option against that.
yea I like doing that, it buys me a lot of time to see what they want to do, and chips damage if they walk into it

Rhapsody

Banned
Anyone know the list of Japanese players confirmed for Evo for P4U2?

I'd like to do some player studying after getting matchups I'm unfamiliar with down a bit.

Mdesilva

Anyone know the list of Japanese players confirmed for Evo for P4U2?

I'd like to do some player studying after getting matchups I'm unfamiliar with down a bit.
Aguro, Pet, Okusan, Tahichi, MAD, Mokke, DIE-Chan, Mui, Damosu, Souji, Yume (not sure if he's allowed to compete, though)

Edit: RIP

"stunedge: 'inside talk:
yume is prolly gonna strike back in evo
he can't attend any tournament in Japan but he can play abroad'"

Rhapsody

Banned
Aguro, Pet, Okusan, Tahichi, MAD, Mokke, DIE-Chan, Mui, Damosu, Souji, Yume (not sure if he's allowed to compete, though)

Edit: RIP

"stunedge: 'inside talk:
yume is prolly gonna strike back in evo
he can't attend any tournament in Japan but he can play abroad'"

That's... a lot of heavy hitters lol. I have a lot of work to do.

Thanks.

Mdesilva

For reference:

Aguro- Narukami
Pet- Adachi, S.Junpei (2.0)
Okusan- Sho/Minazuki
Tahichi- Yukari/Margaret
MAD- Teddie, S.Teddie (2.0)
Mokke- Yosuke, Minazuki? (2.0)
DIE-Chan- Rise
Mui- Aigis
Damosu- Adachi
Souji- Teddie
Yume- Aigis, Marie (2.0?)

FluxWaveZ

Played some more of this since the last time two weeks ago. I think I've finally managed to get most of the rust off; I've gotten to the level as I used to before I stopped playing regularly. It's hard to go from Smash to P4AU. I have more fun playing P4AU than Xrd; the latter just feels wonky to me in a lot of ways.

Rhapsody

Banned
For reference:

Aguro- Narukami
Pet- Adachi, S.Junpei (2.0)
Okusan- Sho/Minazuki
Tahichi- Yukari/Margaret
MAD- Teddie, S.Teddie (2.0)
Mokke- Yosuke, Minazuki? (2.0)
DIE-Chan- Rise
Mui- Aigis
Damosu- Adachi
Souji- Teddie
Yume- Aigis, Marie (2.0?)
Quite a bit of matchups there that I'm still shaky on. It also reminds me that I need to learn how properly punish Teddie's DP when triggered. Might start with that tomorrow...

Played some more of this since the last time two weeks ago. I think I've finally managed to get most of the rust off; I've gotten to the level as I used to before I stopped playing regularly. It's hard to go from Smash to P4AU. I have more fun playing P4AU than Xrd; the latter just feels wonky to me in a lot of ways.
5 buttons with less flow makes Xrd feel wonky to me. I still love the game, but prefer BB and P4A

Shouta

So yeah, I can practice to my heart's content with current Ken/Koro stuff.

Got to play at Final Round though I was super tired and hadn't practice much at all. Got beat by a Yosuke that I should've beaten straight up then beat a Kanji. Took on DC's Yukari and dropped all kinds of stuff that would have probably kept it real close or won me the match.

How do you unlock Boss Mode characters? I thought it was just beat all of the risky courses for score attack, but I didn't seem to unlock it for Liz.

Edit: or is it arcade mode? If so I wasted a lot of time.

Rhapsody

Banned
1.1 is a good thing for me since Narukami keeps a lot of his BS intact.

Still though, no 2.0 is one of the reasons I'm getting fed up with putting in a lot of time into ASW games. All 3 of ASW's current fighters are still Japan only at the moment. Always playing catch up with Japan and in a NA community where there's not a lot of commitment hurts.

Mdesilva

somehow I made that list too :lol

i'm no pro (yet) but i can help people with some anti-yukari things so hmu if you want matches or tips!

Tizoc

So which of these DLC are not worth getting?
All 3 P4AU DLC characters = $7.49
Boss unlock (do I need this even?)= 1.49
Glasses DLC= 2.99
P4A Story= 4.99
All Colors= 2.99

You only really need the characters. Boss mode characters are actually easy to get in this game, P4A story is useless if you already played P4A and if not surely there's Youtube, glasses and colors are entirely cosmetic so only get those if you really need to see your favorite character with glasses with newer colors.

Tizoc

You only really need the characters. Boss mode characters are actually easy to get in this game, P4A story is useless if you already played P4A and if not surely there's Youtube, glasses and colors are entirely cosmetic so only get those if you really need to see your favorite character with glasses with newer colors.

I'll skip boss then, is the story mode all just cutscenes?

Luckily I have it pretty easy with punishes. With Labrys it's basically 5B into whatever I want and Kanji is 5C/jC into death or command grab if I just want unburstable damage. With Labrys I don't use defensive bursts much, really. I usually save it for KOs, since I'd rather start the next round with red axe and no burst than grey axe with a burst.

My bad DPs are when I'm dumb enough to think anyone good will actually be hit by Labrys's. If anything I don't use Kanji's enough.

Top Bottom