• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games. Below is a rough draft of what I'm thinking of putting together. I just started it an hour ago, so it has a ton of gaps. I'm hoping folks here will give me feedback on the structure, as well as subjects that should be included, so that it can be a more full presentation for those wanting to learn. Even the main categories aren't set in stone, but it's how I think of things - maybe someone here will have a better breakdown.

I. Mechanics
a. Attacks​
i. Hitboxes
ii. Hurtboxes
iii. Priority
iv. Invincibility
v. Clashing​
b. Frame Data​
i. Frame Rates
ii. Frame Advantage
iii. Frame Disadvantage
iv. Safe Moves
v. Unsafe Moves​
c. Resource Management​
i. Meter
ii. Bursts
iii. Health
iv. Timer​
II. Psychology
a. Neutral​
i. Spacing
ii. Pokes
iii. Openings
iv. Rushing
v. Predictability​
b. Offense​
i. Frame Traps
ii. Option Selects
iii. Mixups​
1. Overheads
2. Lows
3. Grabs
4. Tick Throws​
iv. Predictability​
c. Defense​
i. Predictability​
III. Execution
a. Controllers
b. Pressure
c. Combos
d. Muscle Memory vs. Visual vs. Audio Cues
e. Pressing Buttons With Intention​
IV. Playing and Learning
a. Picking a Game
b. Picking a Character​
i. Watch Videos​
c. Forums
d. Videos
e. Feedback​
i. Be Critical​
f. Playing Matches​
i. Locals
ii. Online Play​
g. Training Mode​
i. Have Goals​

PK Gaming

Do you think I'm fucking joking? :mad:

You might as well be.

If it does reduce lag (which I seriously doubt), then it's by a infinitesimally small amount.

It's pretty much the ultimate troll; possibly the worst song ever to be introduced into a fighting game "supposedly" reduces lag. I feel bad for the people who fall for that!

Zhao_Yun

Just got this game since I saw it for a good price. I haven't played P4A but I've seen that the story mode of P4A can be bought on the PSN store for 10€. Is it worth it or should I just read a summary somewhere on the net?

Dugna

Whoa there. It did well, but maybe not that well.

Edit: Haha, that's actually what Siliconera wrote? Bang-up job.

280k does seem a bit more realistic.

2.8 million is just crazy, I don't think even the original arena hit the one million mark.

I can find the 6 million sold for persona series in the report on SEGA's website, but can't find anything referring to the number sold of P4U. Wonder how Siliconera got that number at all.

EDIT: Not the 2.8 million number, more of how much the game has sold in the thousands.

Mdesilva

Updated list of JP players coming to EVO:

Aguro (Narukami)
Pet (Adachi)
Okusan (Ken)
Tahichi (Margaret, Yukari)
Mokke (Yosuke)
DIE-Chan (Rise)
Mui (Aigis)
Damosu (Adachi)
Souji (Teddie)
Ho-chan/Stunedge (Yukiko, Margaret, ???)
Yume (Aigis, Marie? [he plays her in 2.0, but we don't know if he will use her for 1.1 at EVO])
Wakabo (Mitsuru)
Purepure (Labrys)
Koichi (Aigis)
Domi (Akihiko)
Setsuo (Aigis)
JEO (S. Mitsuru)
Hagiwara (Teddie)
BLEED (Margaret)
Uinyan (Rise)
Chou (Ken)

So many killers…

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games.

One thing I'll throw in/mention is: Do a transcript/subs. Youtube supports them, it's only a matter of "timing" time-coding the subs to match what you're talking about and this also means that if someone is going to translate your video, they can give you subs to put into the proper time-coded areas.
----

Anyyyyyyway: 2.0 fixing Shadow Akihiko to be similar to his non-Shadow self? Going from P4U2 Aki (non-Shadow) to P4U Aki (Shadow) is a bit ... ugh.

I always forget how much of a treat this game can be until I watch it at a high level. Top 8 at CEO was fantastic. Tectal, Souji and Bananaken all played spectacularly and it was a joy to watch. Tectal persuaded me to give Rise an honest shot. She's not my favorite character by any stretch but he made her look so much fun that I can't resist.

Rhapsody

Banned
I always forget how much of a treat this game can be until I watch it at a high level. Top 8 at CEO was fantastic. Tectal, Souji and Bananaken all played spectacularly and it was a joy to watch. Tectal persuaded me to give Rise an honest shot. She's not my favorite character by any stretch but he made her look so much fun that I can't resist.

Like BB, I feel like Persona has a lot of high level subtle stuff that just really adds up. Very fun to watch.
Unfortunately this game can make me feel salty at times, so I enjoy watching it more than playing it lol

Anne

High level Persona in the last few months has become such a great thing compared to where the game used to be. A lot of the stuff we thought would happen regarding people getting good enough at OS and fighitng OS happened, and the game has a distinct back and forth. Plus people are good enough at neutral now to make that look less jank too lol

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Tornado. I feel bad when I ended up DPing after a roll twice. Netplay muscle memory accidentally kicked in, haha :/

Also I had to go eat lunch, that was probably a good place to stop.

Heh, if it works, it works. I'm terrible at punishing rolls in general. Even when I read or react to them I end up getting counterhit when I try to punish the recovery. I dunno what happened to the connection. It was perfectly fine for the first few matches before it went to hell. Kinda depressing too, since half of the matches I won were when it went haywire. >_> Ah well. ggs

Also fuck Narukami.

FluxWaveZ

I guess there wasn't really enough substantial content in 2.0 to justify a port. Best case scenario for consumers would have been a free update. I think very few people would pay $10-$15 for what 2.0 offers when it's just mechanics/balance changes, a few more player icons and some Golden Arena Mode changes.

Actually, maybe the best case scenario would have been a free update for PS3 and 360, with a PS4 (and Xbox One) re-release but, again, I dunno how many people would get that. I don't even think Chronophantasma Extend is going to sell all that well, but that at least has new characters as an incentive for the non-absolutely hardcore.

Not one Liz in that list...

I guess there wasn't really enough substantial content in 2.0 to justify a port. Best case scenario for consumers would have been a free update. I think very few people would pay $10-$15 for what 2.0 offers when it's just mechanics/balance changes, a few more player icons and some Golden Arena Mode changes.

Actually, maybe the best case scenario would have been a free update for PS3 and 360, with a PS4 (and Xbox One) re-release but, again, I dunno how many people would get that. I don't even think Chronophantasma Extend is going to sell all that well, but that at least has new characters as an incentive for the non-absolutely hardcore.
Extend adds one character, in my mind. :p

One thing I'll throw in/mention is: Do a transcript/subs. Youtube supports them, it's only a matter of "timing" time-coding the subs to match what you're talking about and this also means that if someone is going to translate your video, they can give you subs to put into the proper time-coded areas.
----

Anyyyyyyway: 2.0 fixing Shadow Akihiko to be similar to his non-Shadow self? Going from P4U2 Aki (non-Shadow) to P4U Aki (Shadow) is a bit ... ugh.
Thanks for the tip!

cj_iwakura

Episode Adachi is great so far. Not sure why you have to clear Episode P4 in its entirety to see P3, but oh well.

Best line in the game was Adachi's.

"Hehehehe. Have you ever even killed anyone before?" Chilling. I love how he's turned out, though. He's changed, yet not really.

Shouta

Grinded out like 6 hours of Persona over the weekend with the local diehards. Feeling pretty ready for Evo and to see if I can make it out of pools. It'll be tough but eh, worth a shot. Managed to pull games off Shaka's Chie which is hard because of Chie pressure advantages and the fact Shaka knows the match-up very well as he's been playing with me and playing as Ken/Koro

FluxWaveZ

Much shorter than P4A's and BBCP's. Story mode is around Xrd's length but with fighting.

That's for one episode, though. Episode P3, P4 and Adachi's should be, altogether, around 12-15 hours long.

Though I found a single episode to be longer than Xrd's story.

Grinded out like 6 hours of Persona over the weekend with the local diehards. Feeling pretty ready for Evo and to see if I can make it out of pools. It'll be tough but eh, worth a shot. Managed to pull games off Shaka's Chie which is hard because of Chie pressure advantages and the fact Shaka knows the match-up very well as he's been playing with me and playing as Ken/Koro
my pool has me playing Jyosua in the first round. Tectal Eastside then shows up in the second if I somehow get past Jyosua. I'm not even getting 1 win lol (losers wont go well im sure)

Oooh, I just found your Pool and Buttface is in it. Get to play against a good Marie

Top Bottom