• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax Spoilers Thread - SHO me your spoilers

Nachos

It's got the same thing going on that the first Arena game did: The events aren't identical between the two stories. The P3 story apparently ends
with Labrys fighting Hi-no-Kagutsuch and winning
instead.

I was talking more about this :p
Labrys: Yu-kun!

Labrys – Narrating: Had I not come here, everyone in Inaba would've continued leading peaceful lives.

Deep down, I was afraid to learn what he truly thought of me...That was when Ken-kun told me that I should go to him myself and find out how he feels.

He was right...Just seeing the kindness in Yu-kun's eyes right now makes me feel like there's no need for him to say anything.

And I thought the P3 story ends with
Aigis fighting Kagatsuichi and losing?
I have no idea – I have next to no context on any of this stuff.

Sophia

I was talking more about this :p

And I thought the P3 story ends with
Aigis fighting Kagatsuichi and losing?
I have no idea – I have next to no context on any of this stuff.

Nope to both of those. The quoted dialogue is just taken COMPLETELY out of context. She's worried about Yu rejecting her after Shadow Yu gave her a verbal beatdown.

Aigis fighting Kagutsuchi and losing only happens in the P4 storyline. She never goes anywhere near there in the P3 storyline because she's too damaged after using Extreme Orgia mode.

Nope to both of those. The quoted dialogue is just taken COMPLETELY out of context. She's worried about Yu rejecting her after Shadow Yu gave her a verbal beatdown.

Aigis fighting Kagutsuchi and losing only happens in the P4 storyline. She never goes anywhere near there in the P3 storyline because she's too damaged after using Extreme Orgia mode.

WHAT.
Orgia Mode 2: Orgia Harder!

What theories?

I can link you to it, but it contains copious spoilers about Persona Q.

Also Atlus screwed up with Nyarlathotep. Kagutsuchi is like a ripoff of Nyarly. I mean everything seemed to point at Nyarly but it turned out to be this deity. Like huh and the worst part is Kagutsuchi got defeated through the power of friendship. Why couldn't it be Nyarly like seriously it would of been so much better.

It seems like my only hope is Door-kun, gotta get on that train cause it's never stopping.

Nyarly AND Erebus. Instead we get the disco ball from Nocturne who went all 'Original Character! Do Not Steal!' on Erebus!

So basically Atlus left Door-kun's seal issue unresolved. And that Elizabeth is still on her quest for door-kun and that she might become a velvet room guest. Yeah there might be a spinoff rpg or something down in the line and I'd be up for it. I mean they wouldn't make 4 or 5 movie adaptions that develop Makoto's personality without a reason. Also thank god the rumor of Makoto resting in peace because the seal was destroyed wasn't true.

Also Atlus screwed up with Nyarlathotep. Kagutsuchi is like a ripoff of Nyarly. I mean everything seemed to point at Nyarly but it turned out to be this deity. Like huh and the worst part is Kagutsuchi got defeated through the power of friendship. Why couldn't it be Nyarly like seriously it would of been so much better.

Yeah RIP Persona 1 and 2 you'll forever be remembered.

It seems like my only hope is Door-kun, gotta get on that train cause it's never stopping.

Sophia

Nyarly AND Erebus. Instead we get the disco ball from Nocturne who went all 'Original Character! Do Not Steal!' on Erebus!

Hi-no-kagatsuchi existed long before Nocturne, you know. Also he's thematically appropriate for the P4 cast, being the son of Izanami and all.

I can link you to it, but it contains copious spoilers about Persona Q.

I don't mind actually

Honestly, I have to agree with a friend that said that the problem isn't necessarily that it's not Nyarly, but that they made Kagutsuchi into simply not-Nyarly.

Kagutsuchi fits in P4 because in mythology he's a son of Izanami. A son that killed her just by being born because he was literally born on fire so that didn't end well as you might expect. Then his dad Izanagi killed him for that.

They could've found SOMETHING to do with that, but no, he's just not-Nyarly.

Hi-no-kagatsuchi existed long before Nocturne, you know. Also he's thematically appropriate for the P4 cast, being the son of Izanami and all.

True. But he's a character Atlus has used before in a completely different context when another existing character would have been far more appropriate. It just comes off as a wasted opportunity.

I don't mind actually
As you wish.
WARNING: PQ Spoilers abound HERE

Sophia

True. But he's a character Atlus has used before in a completely different context when another existing character would have been far more appropriate. It just comes off as a wasted opportunity.

It is a wasted opportunity, no doubt. I'm rather disappointed it's not Nyarlathotep myself. Kagutsuchi's actions in Ultimax are entirely consistent with Nyarly's from the beginning of the game right up to the similar lines when he's defeated.

Tamanon

Banned
To be fair, the only two main games that are definitely the same universe are Persona 3 and Persona 4. I don't think Atlus has ever stated 1 and 2 are actually the same universe with them.

To be fair, the only two main games that are definitely the same universe are Persona 3 and Persona 4. I don't think Atlus has ever stated 1 and 2 are actually the same universe with them.

IIRC in P3P there's a scene in which they mention the Nanjo group. Although, I don't remember if that was in FeMC's route or MC's route.

Dugna

Kirijo and Nanjo group makes the connection
. That and all of those TV shows in P3 showing the characters from P1/2.

P1 has its characters as teammates in P2, P2 Characters are mentioned in P3. You could argue that they are different versions of those characters, but there you go.

Yeah Ultimax's story is disappointing. I really shouldn't have been too excited because most of the time the story mode of fighting games are shit. You'll forever be in my heart Makoto till the day you are revived. Still though if he does get revived I hope there's a consequence with it.

Until then I'll play as Yukari my main.

Sophia

Yeah Ultimax's story is disappointing. I really shouldn't have been too excited because most of the time the story mode of fighting games are shit. You'll forever be in my heart Makoto till the day you are revived. Still though if he does get revived I hope there's a consequence with it.

You seem unusually bitter that something explicitly stated to take a very long time previously will probably take a long time. :p

I'm up for either a replacement or a timeshare with other wild cards.

Eh, that could just be a namedrop. I want them to be connected, but honestly,the connections are pretty tenuous. Unless we also want to say that Catherine and Persona happen in the same world!

But only for FeMC, whom we've established as non-canon. :p

Tamanon

Banned
IIRC in P3P there's a scene in which they mention the Nanjo group. Although, I don't remember if that was in FeMC's route or MC's route.

Eh, that could just be a namedrop. I want them to be connected, but honestly,the connections are pretty tenuous. Unless we also want to say that Catherine and Persona happen in the same world!

PK Gaming

1409193570067.png

Let me introduce you to my 3 best friends, the juice crew

Well, they specifically said that the Kirijo group and the Nanjo group were working together. Unless they decide to retcon that, wouldn't be surprised if they did, its safe to say that P1 and P2 are in the same universe as P3 and P4.

Meia

It's more than just nanjo that's mentioned. Pretty sure Eikichi is, and of course you have the host of said show being the healing fairy from IS.

I'm more curious about why the Kirijo group separated from the Nanjo in the first place.

You seem unusually bitter that something explicitly stated to take a very long time previously will probably take a long time. :p

Why must you further put salt on my wound :(

I'm up for either a replacement or a timeshare with other wild cards.

You know what would be better, Makoto losing his memories of everything he's been through with SEES. Yeah that would be pretty fucked up.

I hope Minato doesn't come back at all. It cheapens the theme of P3 too much.

Different strokes for different folks. I mean for me it doesn't really cheapen the theme. Because like someone once said even if he's revived he still is gonna die eventually due to old age or something. So it won't effect the theme of memento mori :)

Different strokes for different folks. I mean for me it doesn't really cheapen the theme. Because like someone once said even if he's revived he still is gonna die eventually due to old age or something. So it won't effect the theme of memento mori :)

I think that was me who said that. Not to mention he would have bought the world time until another way could be found. Sacrifice is sacrifice. It doesn't always have to be permadeath.

EDIT:
I'd rather Elizabeth's mission of freeing him not be to revive him, but to free him of his doorstopping duties so he can move on and rest in peace.

Now one could argue that would be worse. If he is passed on to the afterlife, wouldn't that (at least on a subconscious level) give those close to him the urge to be reunited in death, which would in turn empower Erebus?
I'm probably overthinking it, but still...

I'd rather Elizabeth's mission of freeing him not be to revive him, but to free him of his doorstopping duties so he can move on and rest in peace.

Man I would definitely want to see Yukari's reaction if that did happen. Imagine the heartbreak.

Well, they've still got the photo to work from...

EDIT:
Haven't been following Ultimax much... but whats with the Sho hate?

I also assumed back in the Persona livestream (where ultimax, Q, Dancing all Night, and 5 where announced) that Sho would be the MC of P5.

It was the red hair
Honestly, it's not Sho people take issue with, it's the guy/s behind him.
Also, MCs for Persona games shouldn't have a defined character before their own game. Afterwards? Why the hell not.

sjay1994

Haven't been following Ultimax much... but whats with the Sho hate?

I also assumed back in the Persona livestream (where ultimax, Q, Dancing all Night, and 5 where announced) that Sho would be the MC of P5.

It was the red hair

See the thing is Elizabeth's mission of freeing him is for her to have Makoto all to herself and for that to happen he needs to be revived :) Don't underestimate Elizabeth because it's all in her plan.

Well, they've still got the photo to work from..

What photo?

See the thing is Elizabeth's mission of freeing him is for her to have Makoto all to herself and for that to happen he needs to be revived :) Don't underestimate Elizabeth because it's all in her plan.

What photo?

The photo they took after the Hanged Man shadow and immediately before Ikutsuki's betrayal. It reappears in Ultimax.

Could you elaborate? I am out of the loop it seems.
He's controlled by Ikutsuki, except he's not and he's really controlled by the out of nowhere Kagutsuchi. (Who looks just like Erebus, only on fire)

Sophia

Just to clarify: Ikutsuki is deader than disco. He did not get revived for Ultimax. All of his appearances are just Sho masquerading as him using Kagutsuchi's power.

arue

Just to clarify: Ikutsuk is deader than disco. He did not get revived for Ultimax. All of his appearances are just Sho masquerading as him using Kagutsuchi's power.
That's a relief. Good thing it's not like those plots where the evil villain comes out of nowhere just to get revenge on the main casts.

By the way, I still need to finish the script too...

Verder

Just to clarify: Ikutsuki is deader than disco. He did not get revived for Ultimax. All of his appearances are just Sho masquerading as him using Kagutsuchi's power.

oh man thats a huge relief. Is izanami in any shape or form in ultimax?

I swear if what they said in Famitsu, when Ken and Koromaru were revealed that a most wanted/favorite P3 character would show up in Ultimax story. And it was supposed to be Ikutsuki, either someone was smoking something or that was a troll attempt. Like who even likes Ikutsuki he wasn't even placed on the Persona popularity poll even if it's a bit old. That position is supposed to go to Makoto hmmm.

Sure does bring back memories. I really do miss their interactions together.

I think they mean besides Marie...

Marie in Ultimax
is Izanami embodiment. The true final boss of vanilla P4 aka the "Izanami" you are referring to is only a portion of what Izanami is. Marie for the majority of Golden is also a portion of Izanami, until the end where she absorbs all the portions to become the complete Izanami. So yes, in essence, Izanami is in Ultimax.

Top Bottom