• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden (the Vita version) ships over 300,000 copies, [goes on sale for $20]

koutoru

I think this goes to show that even though the Vita has a small market overall, its existing market is very loyal, if you know how to target them. Hence why small localization publishers can still publish Vita games while Western publishers have jumped ship.

Jigolo

Great for the series. The game really is one of the best I've ever played.

I recently got it from Newegg for $15 but I totally should have bought it as soon as I got my Vita, it's too good.

megalowho

I don't know how to interpret those numbers especially in light of new ownership expectations, but I bought a Vita for P4G and both have treated me quite well. Been slowly working through a NG+ playthrough over the Summer after some time away. Kind of a lapsed JRPG fan at this point but I'll always be incredibly fond of that game.

btkadams

i'm really glad that the rerelease was a success for them. i've had such a great year of gaming, and it started with finishing persona 4 golden and playing through catherine with friends.

if anyone is still on the fence about this game, get it!

Asd202

I do wonder how this will sell on the 3DS.

99_50c873fb8aa25.jpeg

Cornbread78

Thsi game is beary special... I loved it, so happy I put my $40 towards this experience.

They need to make an M rates version though, so we can really max out those S-Links in real time...

According to destructoid Persona 4 (PS2) got 410,000 copies sold (JPN + NA).
http://www.destructoid.com/how-persona-4-fared-when-it-comes-to-sales-151145.phtml
Persona 4 Golden actually matched the Japanese sales for the original Persona 4.

(Also expected sales for Persona 4 in Japan were initially 180,000. That's probably going to change for Persona 5, just for the development cost if nothing else.)

Holy shit...

And on an install base about 1/25th the size. That's crazy.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nice, it deserve to sell more tho.

Now SEGA please do a Digital Devil Saga 1/2 Golden. please, pretty please.

CmdBash

After loving the shit out of p3p and hearing unending praise for p4g I bought a vita over a week ago for the sole reason for playing it. Already clocked 30+ hours on it and I have to say it was worth every dollar I spent on the system. I have enjoyed it way more than any of the recent major titles I've been playing (gta5,beyond:ts , fe:awakening, mh3u). I'm glad its getting the sales it deserves and dammmmmmmn I need p5 asap!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Great news. Now you vita owners who still don't own it should buy it!

Why? Some people don't like JRPG's and don't like "console ports."

(Note: I bought it but haven't played it just yet, I'm just saying the "don't own it and should buy it" argument is kinda tired)

EMT0

Banned
Best RPG ever deserves more sales, but this is excellent by Atlus' standards, on the Vita to boot. Late November can't come fast enough, and not Pokemon, the PS4, or anything else will deter this reveal from my hype train.

No UK/Europe discount? What is this shit? Just because those non-English speaking continentals delayed the game's release
:p
?

I was debating whether or not I should use my reserved $50 PSN card after reading this thread. After much hair pulling and internal soul searching, I input the code and now a brand new owner of Persona 4: Golden.

Please tell me I have contributed greatly to humanity. Right? Right?

AwShucks

Would never have played a Persona game if not for P4G. I'm still in the final dungeon but I am so glad they did this version.

Also, just knowing the things that didn't exist in the PS2 version...I can't imagine playing that version. It's missing so much!

andylsun

Bought it a few weeks ago and played the first few hours. Have 2 x 15 hour airplane flights at the end of October. Will be packing Vita + Goalzero USB charger + headphones to get as much playtime in as possible.

AmanoBuff

http://www.destructoid.com/how-persona-4-fared-when-it-comes-to-sales-151145.phtml
Persona 4 Golden actually matched the Japanese sales for the original Persona 4.

(Also expected sales for Persona 4 in Japan were initially 180,000. That's probably going to change for Persona 5, just for the development cost if nothing else.)

So glad to see this piece of news. P4G definitely deserves it.

And if you consider it made these numbers being an enhanced PS2 port, they are still more impressive.

Now, let's wait for November's announcement, which hopefully will give us P5 on PS3/4/Vita and P3 Golden for Vita.

DO IT ATLUS!

B.O.O.M

Thanks for these bits of info. Really goes to show how impressive these numbers are. Atlus must be very happy

Takao

Banned
Is this a NA exclusive sale?

If so, you miss 1 sale, Atlus.

Atlus didn't publish the game in Europe, so they wouldn't have gotten your sale anyways.

They'd be smarter to make it PS3/4/Vita at least. The way Sony makes porting possible I would be up for a Vita version of P5 alongside the proper HD versions on PS3/4.

I wouldn't expect a Vita version out of the gate. Atlus has done very well doing expanded ports to handhelds a while after the console version launched. It encourages double dipping, where as a simultaneous launch just leaves consumers wondering which version to buy.

Curufinwe

I was debating whether or not I should use my reserved $50 PSN card after reading this thread. After much hair pulling and internal soul searching, I input the code and now a brand new owner of Persona 4: Golden.

Please tell me I have contributed greatly to humanity. Right? Right?

Definitely.

This game is like Deus Ex. Every time someone mentions it I wanna play it again. Deserved much more sales but being on vita that can't be helped. Amazing game

DedValve

Banned
I just bought it, never played persona before but I doubt it would have gone under $20.

....fuck preparing to download.

It's awesome that P4G did so well. I bought two copies too, hooefully this leads to a Persona 3 Vita.

On the side note. Please no what if 3DS comments. They can get annoying.

AmanoBuff

It's awesome that P4G did so well. I bought two copies too, hooefully this leads to a Persona 3 Vita.

On the side note. Please no what if 3DS comments. They can get annoying.

Everyone has the right to want a great game to be on their favorite console. God knows how many times I've begged for DQ VIII and SoA on my Vita. And I'll keep begging :(

As someone who doesn't play JRPGs, would this be a solid purchase? Is there anything I should keep in mind going into it?

For me the game is much more than a JRPG. It is a (very light) life sim, dating sim and has an amazing story, characters and pretty dynamic combat.

I think if you have even the slightest interest in Japan, anime or JRPGs, you will have a blast.

Oh, and of course, it doesn't hurt that it rocks one of the best OSTs in gaming.

Is it on sale right now for $20 or is that a permanent price drop?

Just a sale, so hurry up!

Gamerloid

I do wonder how this will sell on the 3DS.

The same amount. PS2 had the biggest install base of any system and that didn't make this game sell millions. 3DS also has a bunch of great games that would compete with this for your money. Vita doesn't have a lot of games that are considered system sellers for most people. P4G is a popular, and the other is Killzone. 3DS has many... This game stands out when you have a Vita.

AmanoBuff

The same amount. PS2 had the biggest install base of any system and that didn't make this game sell millions. 3DS also has a bunch of great games that would compete with this for your money. Vita doesn't have a lot of games that are considered system sellers for most people. P4G is a popular, and the other is Killzone. 3DS has many... This game stands out when you have a Vita.

Not seeing your point here. You first say that the game would have sold the same regardless of the install base, then you immediately contradict yourself by implying that P4G sold as much just because it is on Vita and the system hasn't many other standout games (which is not true btw)?

A great game is a great game regardless of the system it targets, and if its fanbase is on that system (which almost always is, since fans tend to buy the systems where their games are), then it will sell well.

Gamerloid

Not seeing your point here. You first say that the game would have sold the same regardless of the install base, then you immediately contradict yourself by implying that P4G sold as much just because it is on Vita and the system hasn't many other standout games (which is not true btw)?

A great game is a great game regardless of the system it targets, and if its fanbase is on that system (which almost always is, since fans tend to buy the systems where their games are), then it will sell well.

I know I contradicted myself, but I felt I should really add that as a possible scenario. It kinda popped into my head before I hit submit. I originally just wanted to say it'll sell the same, but I can't just ignore the fact that there's competition out there. Sure the fans will buy it regardless, but many people are trying this out being their first SMT game as well.

Yes, I know there's more standout games, but most seem to just take note of P4G and Killzone. That's what I see anyway. I see many saying that's what might get them to buy a Vita.

Top Bottom