• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden (the Vita version) ships over 300,000 copies, [goes on sale for $20]

As someone who doesn't play JRPGs, would this be a solid purchase? Is there anything I should keep in mind going into it?

Persona 4 Golden is a solid contender for the tile of Best JRPG of All Time and you don't need to have played previous games in the series to enjoy it, so if you think it looks interesting, go for it.

Still looking for a Vita to borrow to play this.

Unfortunately, no one near me has one. I wish for further Vita success here so I can finally borrow one lol.

For me the game is much more than a JRPG. It is a (very light) life sim, dating sim and has an amazing story, characters and pretty dynamic combat.

I think if you have even the slightest interest in Japan, anime or JRPGs, you will have a blast.

Oh, and of course, it doesn't hurt that it rocks one of the best OSTs in gaming.

Persona 4 Golden is a solid contender for the tile of Best JRPG of All Time and you don't need to have played previous games in the series to enjoy it, so if you think it looks interesting, go for it.

Thanks for the input. I guess my chief concern is that the gameplay would be a bit alien for me and that, if it follows similar tropes in the East, over-the-top presentation is going to turn-me off, like with Resident Evil post-Nemesis.

However, I upgraded to a 32 GB card with this game in mind, so I'll probably follow through with it and give it a shot.

Konosuke

The only thing keeping me from buying it is an 8GB memory card and I seem to be finishing Persona 3 Portable. I'm currently at the
Strength and Fortune shadows, that boss fight is so dumb, I can't memorise the roulette pattern.
. Should I give up on finishing it?

DR2K

Banned
The only thing keeping me from buying it is an 8GB memory card and I seem to be finishing Persona 3 Portable. I'm currently at the
Strength and Fortune shadows, that boss fight is so dumb, I can't memorise the roulette pattern.

Just go to gamefaqs and look up a guide.

You're pretty close to the end, and it'd be a shame for you to drop the game just because of that. Watching a video of it now, it seems like the real trick is
to perfect the timing of stopping the wheel. Otherwise, all you really need to know is red is bad and blue is good.

Persona 4 doesn't really have anything as annoying as that fight, so when you do get to Golden you should have an easier time of things. Good luck!

RalchAC

Thanks for the input. I guess my chief concern is that the gameplay would be a bit alien for me and that, if it follows similar tropes in the East, over-the-top presentation is going to turn-me off, like with Resident Evil post-Nemesis.

However, I upgraded to a 32 GB card with this game in mind, so I'll probably follow through with it and give it a shot.

I'm with the guys saying it's a seriously contender for the best JRPG in time. Amazing soundtrack, awesome characters, battle system is pretty good (but you can play it in very easy if you don't like turn based), story is very different but good and how they use Jungian psichology for building the world is... wow. And I don't even like psichology xD.

And it has Chie.

I hadn't consider doing that yet, might as well. That boss fight is dumb, someone agree with me on this.

Yes, the boss fight is dumb. But it's only about knowing when you must stop the roulette. I don't find it difficult after seeing it rolling like 3-5 times.
__

That game deserve any copy it sells. I've done my part.

I want its soundtrack.

ClearData

My only regret for Persona 4 is that I cannot buy a copy for each of the lost lambs that profess love for JRPGs and have not played it.

I am eagerly awaiting VITA TV so my next play through is on my HDTV. It will be like playing the console version all over again.

Servbot24

Banned
As someone who doesn't play JRPGs, would this be a solid purchase? Is there anything I should keep in mind going into it?

There are some intimidating elements to it especially if it is your first JRPG. And the story takes a long time to get going (took me about 4 hours before I actually felt like I was playing the game). But it is a very good game and you should get it.

rpmurphy

My only regret for Persona 4 is that I cannot buy a copy for each of the lost lambs that profess love for JRPGs and have not played it.

I am eagerly awaiting VITA TV so my next play through is on my HDTV. It will be like playing the console version all over again.
Never played Personas. Does the game have demon fusion like in the SMT mainline games? Because I really dislike that element... really impedes my enjoyment of the gameplay.

Never played Personas. Does the game have demon fusion like in the SMT mainline games? Because I really dislike that element... really impedes my enjoyment of the gameplay.

That's pretty much a staple of the SMT games. the only ones that don't have that are the Digital Devil Saga games.

What was it about Demon Fusion that turned you off? it's usually considered one of the better parts of the game mechanics.

Well I bit the dust and started the game over a fortnight ago and its the best JRPG I've probably played ever.

Think I'am about 1/3 through
At the bit were you have to hunt for the clues for the Unknown student who may or may not be the killer
and thoroughly enjoying it so far, anybody got a guide on how or what are the best Persona fusions? My Persona's are no where as good as the rest of my team-mates (Should I buy decent skill cards to boost them up?).

Also is Persona 3 Portable worth playing too, I got that of the PSN a while back but never got round to it yet...

And finally is Persona 1 and 2 worth buying either?

rpmurphy

That's pretty much a staple of the SMT games. the only ones that don't have that are the Digital Devil Saga games.

What was it about Demon Fusion that turned you off? it's usually considered one of the better parts of the game mechanics.
Oh ok. I dislike the implemention of it... it reminds me of the system in Dragon Quest Monsters which I find unenjoyable to play. To take advantage of fusion, you raise your demons to certain levels, then fuse it against another one that also has the proper levels. But you can only level a few of them at a time in any given battle. Once you fuse them, they're gone (naturally), but you still probably want them for some other fusion. You can go catch another one (requires backtracking, perhaps some grinding to find the right encounter) but you'll have to level them, or pay up the Macca to get them from the Compendium which is expensive. And then you're short a demon which you replace with another, possibly a lower-leveled one, to progress in battles. Unless you have a full understanding of the fusion chart and which demons you encounter in the game, I don't see how you can really know to fuse the demons you have currently have, or if it is a waste: you either encounter that same demon in the field at a later time or get new demons that can result in the same thing but requires less hoops to jump through. The whole aspect makes it a different kind of RPG to me, which instead of a linear growth, is more of a prolonged up-and-down progression that gets rather grindy for money and levels.

I dunno, maybe I'm playing these games wrong or something.

Ty4on

Haven't played any other SMT game than Golden, but in Golden you get to see a list of possible personas to fuse, what personas are used and if you click on it you can see what skills they can learn. You can only have a limited number of personas on you (especially limited at the start) which forces you to fuse "useless" ones. Each social link is linked to an arcana and a higher rank in it will give you a higher XP boost when you fuse a Persona of that arcana. This will quickly level them up and some times well above your level.

I played it on medium which was quite easy apart from one early bossfight (I had never played an RPG without level scaling and was too weak :p ) and didn't have much knowledge, but found it pretty easy and fun even though I just scratched the surface. Loved when they leveled up for ages with a high social link rank :p

Rojo

I hadn't consider doing that yet, might as well. That boss fight is dumb, someone agree with me on this.

Pro tip once you hit stop it goes to the opposite side of the roulette wheel so lets say you stop at 12 o clock then the pointer will land at 6 o clock just look at the opposite side of the needle and your good.

Oh ok. I dislike the implemention of it... it reminds me of the system in Dragon Quest Monsters which I find unenjoyable to play. To take advantage of fusion, you raise your demons to certain levels, then fuse it against another one that also has the proper levels. But you can only level a few of them at a time in any given battle. Once you fuse them, they're gone (naturally), but you still probably want them for some other fusion. You can go catch another one (requires backtracking, perhaps some grinding to find the right encounter) but you'll have to level them, or pay up the Macca to get them from the Compendium which is expensive. And then you're short a demon which you replace with another, possibly a lower-leveled one, to progress in battles. Unless you have a full understanding of the fusion chart and which demons you encounter in the game, I don't see how you can really know to fuse the demons you have currently have, or if it is a waste: you either encounter that same demon in the field at a later time or get new demons that can result in the same thing but requires less hoops to jump through. The whole aspect makes it a different kind of RPG to me, which instead of a linear growth, is more of a prolonged up-and-down progression that gets rather grindy for money and levels.

yeah, I think you might be overthinking it. The demons themselves aren't really that important. You want to think in terms of

1.) Skills

and

2.) Resistances.

Skills are going to be elemental spells in the vein of zio (electricity), agi (fire), garu (wind), bufu (ice), hama (light), and mudo (death). a given skill has different strength levels (Bufu becomes Bufula, Bufudyne, and eventually Niflheim) as well as multi target ability (mabufu, mabufula, mabufudyne). There are physical skills also, but those are less important since anything weak to phys can simply be hit with melee.

the important thing is to have a good mix of skills, since the press-turn system means hitting an enemy weak point means another shot at them. Find someone weak to wind? switch to someone who has garu or garula and not only dominate them in terms of damage, but get free turns. The "level" of the demon is secondary. There's not really a good need to start fusing your current demons (even if you can) unless your current lineup isn't getting the job done. At that point, look at what you have and see if you can possibly get the skills you need through fusion.

Resistances are the opposite of the above- a given demon might be weak to ice, but strong to fire, or strong to fire and weak to wind, or strong against everything BUT hama. If you come across a demon that slings fire spells like they're on sale, switch to one strong against those spells or at least try not to use one that's horrendously weak to fire spells. Again, press turn means that getting hit with a weakness means you're giving up a free hit.

There's never any reason to get attached to a specific demon, or spend a bunch of money re-buying them unless there's a VERY specific fusion you're trying to hit. A fused demon will always be stronger than the one you had, though it's skills might be different. think about the results you're getting before you hit the "ok" button when fusing. sometimes giving up your only demon strong to death spells might not be worth it if there's a lot of enemies slinging mudo around.

Mononoke

Banned
One of my favorite games of all time. I personally liked the story more in Persona 3, but I liked the dungeons and game mechanics a lot more in 4 (it was more polished). So it's kind of a draw for me, which one I like more. Anyways, I don't know Atlus numbers or portable numbers.

Is this bad?

rpmurphy

yeah, I think you might be overthinking it. The demons themselves aren't really that important. You want to think in terms of

1.) Skills

and

2.) Resistances.

Skills are going to be elemental spells in the vein of zio (electricity), agi (fire), garu (wind), bufu (ice), hama (light), and mudo (death). a given skill has different strength levels (Bufu becomes Bufula, Bufudyne, and eventually Niflheim) as well as multi target ability (mabufu, mabufula, mabufudyne). There are physical skills also, but those are less important since anything weak to phys can simply be hit with melee.

the important thing is to have a good mix of skills, since the press-turn system means hitting an enemy weak point means another shot at them. Find someone weak to wind? switch to someone who has garu or garula and not only dominate them in terms of damage, but get free turns. The "level" of the demon is secondary. There's not really a good need to start fusing your current demons (even if you can) unless your current lineup isn't getting the job done. At that point, look at what you have and see if you can possibly get the skills you need through fusion.

Resistances are the opposite of the above- a given demon might be weak to ice, but strong to fire, or strong to fire and weak to wind, or strong against everything BUT hama. If you come across a demon that slings fire spells like they're on sale, switch to one strong against those spells or at least try not to use one that's horrendously weak to fire spells. Again, press turn means that getting hit with a weakness means you're giving up a free hit.

There's never any reason to get attached to a specific demon, or spend a bunch of money re-buying them unless there's a VERY specific fusion you're trying to hit. A fused demon will always be stronger than the one you had, though it's skills might be different. think about the results you're getting before you hit the "ok" button when fusing. sometimes giving up your only demon strong to death spells might not be worth it if there's a lot of enemies slinging mudo around.
Hmm, ok. I guess I've just been playing with a different mindset. I'm fairly new to the entire series itself, so I need some time to adjust... Thanks!

As others have said, this is Japan only. 300,000 for a rereleased game on a handheld with a small install base is pretty good.

Furthermore, this game will always be selling in the States, as more and more people purchase Vita's (price drop, functionality with PS4 etc.) since the game itself has established itself as "the game you get" when you have a Vita.

That's the impression I got from others when I bought a Vita about a month ago, picked up P4G not really knowing what the fuck it was, and now I'm enjoying it and I'm almost at the end. It's simply become "that game" people recommend when you talk about first game purchases for the Vita.

Good numbers, now give us Persona 5 on Vita.

Putting the next main game primarily on Vita would be incredibly foolish and I always sigh a little when people suggest it. It'll get a year-or-two-late portable version exactly like the last two games did.

sn00zer

currently playing through this for the first time. great game really complex though compared to games i normally play. strange how battles drastically change basd on how you choose your personas. oh quick question. should i fuse the first persna i got im worried about losing him

currently playing through this for the first time. great game really complex though compared to games i normally play. strange how battles drastically change basd on how you choose your personas. oh quick question. should i fuse the first persna i got im worried about losing him

You can always buy old personas back from the velvet room.

Mzo

Yes, you can overwrite the default with the customized persona you fuse. It'll be more expensive to rebuy if it's higher level and has more abilities.

Fuse everything all the time. Trying to level personas is a fool's errand.

sn00zer

Yes, you can overwrite the default with the customized persona you fuse. It'll be more expensive to rebuy if it's higher level and has more abilities.

Fuse everything all the time. Trying to level personas is a fool's errand.
ah cool thanks. game really chucks you in the deep end

nampad

Putting the next main game primarily on Vita would be incredibly foolish and I always sigh a little when people suggest it. It'll get a year-or-two-late portable version exactly like the last two games did.

First of all, this was just me wanting the game on my favorite platform, not a business suggestion.

But if you want to talk business, the numbers for Persona 4: Golden in Japan weren't much worse compared to the mainline releases on home consoles even though it was just a remake, so calling it incredible foolish seems out of line.
Also, instead of just releasing the home console version, they could release the handheld version alongside and make money right away on the handheld, maybe even get some double dippers with cross save features (I never said primary on Vita, just on Vita).

They can still release a version with added content one or two years later for the avid fans which will rebuy the game.

TaKeRx

I just gotta say that this game has exceeded my expectations. I'm not really a fan of JRPGs, but it being on sale on PSN pushed me to get it.

I've been playing non-stop for over a week and a half now and I'm even ignoring pokemon Y because of how good it is. I got my starter pokemon, defeated the first gym leader and then ran back to Persona lol.

I noticed that you can get all Persona games on the Vita. Are any of them worth to get? I'm itching for more even though I'm not done with the game. I even got the Blu-ray collection as the story is really interesting to me.

inner-G

Banned
I just gotta say that this game has exceeded my expectations. I'm not really a fan of JRPGs, but it being on sale on PSN pushed me to get it.

I've been playing non-stop for over a week and a half now and I'm even ignoring pokemon Y because of how good it is. I got my starter pokemon, defeated the first gym leader and then ran back to Persona lol.

I noticed that you can get all Persona games on the Vita. Are any of them worth to get? I'm itching for more even though I'm not done with the game. I even got the Blu-ray collection as the story is really interesting to me.
If you're not a big JRPG fan, you can probably pass on the first 2.

P3P is pretty good but P4G is on a whole other level presentation-wise.

sn00zer

Am I crazy for thinking Persona games could really benefit from minigames? I mean if im going to soccer practice it would be nice to y'know, play soccer, instead of "you played soccer today"

Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment are all very old-school and very different than Persona 4. They're straight dungeon crawlers ala the regular Shin Megami Tensei games, although instead of summoning demons, you can equip multiple personas to each character. I'd recommend staying away from Persona 1 unless you played it when it was new and have nostalgia for it.

Persona 3, on the other hand, is very similar in style to Persona 4 and is a good game. Well worth playing if you finish Persona 4 and want more.

Incidentally, all of the Persona games except for P4G are currently $10 each on the PSN. All of them are on sale except for P2:EP which is normally $10 (it's a PS1 game, whereas Persona 1 & 2 are PSP enhanced ports of PS1 games and Persona 3 is a port of a PS2 game).

Am I crazy for thinking Persona games could really benefit from minigames? I mean if im going to soccer practice it would be nice to y'know, play soccer, instead of "you played soccer today"
Yep, I always wished that the club activities were a little bit more interactive.

the numbers for Persona 4: Golden

Persona is not a series that is sold just in Japan; it's a worldwide one. Every time a PS3 RPG franchise with Western appeal was moved to the PSP, it was a huge mistake; the Vita's moribund state in the US (and the general disinterest in handheld games here) guarantees that it would be equally unwise to move a franchise to Vita the same way.

nampad

Persona is not a series that is sold just in Japan; it's a worldwide one. Every time a PS3 RPG franchise with Western appeal was moved to the PSP, it was a huge mistake; the Vita's moribund state in the US (and the general disinterest in handheld games here) guarantees that it would be equally unwise to move a franchise to Vita the same way.

Well, this thread discusses japanese shipping figures ;)
And does it really sell that much outside of Japan? Did the mainline games sell in the west much more than P3P and P4: G (both only remakes)? I honestly don't know, so I am asking.

I wouldn't say that Persona has such a big western appeal to it. The social/dating sim stuff seems rather weird. I myself wasn't sure if I should try something like this and whether I would like it or not. Surely, you could say the series has grown and gained a lot of critical praise, so ressentiments against this aspect may be getting weaker.

At last, I haven't talked about moving it to Vita exclusive, a point you haven't considered in this discussion.

ohlawd

Yes, you're crazy.

Current Persona needs to stop with the bullshit and lessen the amount of time we aren't chasing skirts in social links.

srsly. We should have less story, less dungeons, less combat, less everything and more social links interaction.

olimpia84

Got this a few days ago for 15 bucks new from Newegg. Still sitting in my shelf, since I haven't beaten SMTIV, plus I started playing Pokemon X.......

sn00zer

Yes, you're crazy.

Current Persona needs to stop with the bullshit and lessen the amount of time we aren't chasing skirts in social links.

srsly. We should have less story, less dungeons, less combat, less everything and more social links interaction.

When dealing with anime avatars I have no idea if comments like these are sarcastic. Because I really dont like any part of Persona that doesnt deal with the main story, takes place in the dungeon, or is Persona avatar related....I honestly couldnt give a shit if my character spends 5 hours so he can get a peck on the cheek...."Oh I hope senpai-san smiles at me in class" WHO GIVES A FLYIN' FUCK?! LETS GO DUNGEON CRAWLIN BITCH!

ohlawd

When dealing with anime avatars I have no idea if comments like these are sarcastic. Because I really dont like any part of Persona that doesnt deal with the main story, takes place in the dungeon, or is Persona avatar related....I honestly couldnt give a shit if my character spends 5 hours so he can get a peck on the cheek...."Oh I hope senpai-san smiles at me in class" WHO GIVES A FLYIN' FUCK?! LETS GO DUNGEON CRAWLIN BITCH!

naw I'm being serious. I really dislike the combat system and the dungeon crawling is just blargh.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes, you're crazy.

I always like where you put your priority, ohlawd. Always like it.

Yes, you're crazy.

god no. jesus fucking christ. NO

social links should be funny joke stories like gourmet kid and tanaka. no more "senpai, i want to be a real girl but im just an idol wah wah wah *blush blush* ugguuu" bullshit.

and they should be even less important.

Top Bottom