• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 now on North American PSN as a PS2 Classic - $9.99

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Have you played it? The female MC is much more interesting, gets different social links, gets to view things from a different perspective, etc. If you really like the answer fine, but how can P3P possibly be worse than the original? It even has better combat than the other versions.

I see you've met Toto, just ignore him because he posts the same thing everytime P3P comes up.

^

MzwaEh6.png

Portable is better because point and click.

Search your heart. You know it rings true.

That is exactly why one of the reasons its worse!

Hollycat

How is the FeMC "out of place"?

Because anything that changes the original obviously doesn't belong and doesn't fit with the developers vision even if the developer wrote it. :p

Edit: i've seriously seen people complain about the persona portable and golden additions and compare them to the "greedo shot first" fiasco.

sense

You assume Europe had a significant supply and demand.

You assume it had to have new copies because they were in print (when it was more likely to be selling what was left of stock, games would never be in print that long, especially a niche game like P4)

Every piece of evidence available suggests it has done better. You are literally ignoring the many links thrown at you. Of course you're acting like you have an agenda.

Your next mistake was looking at ******** (apparently its censored, lol) at all.

The other side has thrown a ton of proof at you. You've ignored it or tried to wish it away with logical fallacies.

I think you're somehow assuming the sales of P4 over its second 6 months would somehow be comparable to its first 6 months. That is silly and never the case.

Not to mention, I see you've shown your agenda with your last sentence there...

agreed.

from the evidence we have it is very likely p4g has outsold original p4 comfortably. i don't think atlus cares if it is shipped or sold.at the end of the day they already got the money.

do you seriously think original p4 had shipped an extra 300k copies after its first 6 months? it is actually better to ship 700k in your first 6 months because you get more money for each copy. it is just crazy that you assume original p4 hasn't been outsold without any sort of proof supporting that theory and then call out other people for going with the more likely situation.

AlexBasch

Fighting over Chie? For fucks sake, selecting what abilities your Persona will inherit is the reason I yelled fuck yes at a high volume in the P4G Velvet Room.

Fuck trying the fusion several times because you end up with two amazing abilities and a goddamn Agi. This should have been the standard in the first place.

I didn't want to use the Female MC in P3P. Guess I hate women then.

This goddamn place sometimes.

Because anything that changes the original obviously doesn't belong and doesn't fit with the developers vision even if the developer wrote it. :p
The portable games aren't done by the main team, though. It's alright if you dig FeMC, but I just see her as a wacky 'what-if' scenario where the personality of the main character clashes with the tone of the game. She'd fit better in P4 IMO.

Tomodachi

Are we really talking about the superiority of a female skin versus a male skin for a SILENT main character? Personality? I don' even.

Fighting over Chie? For fucks sake, selecting what abilities your Persona will inherit is the reason I yelled fuck yes at a high volume in the P4G Velvet Room.

Fuck trying the fusion several times because you end up with two amazing abilities and a goddamn Agi. This should have been the standard in the first place.

I didn't want to use the Female MC in P3P. Guess I hate women then.

This goddamn place sometimes.

I initially was mad that they took all the challenge out of the fusion system, but then I replayed P3FES The Answer and spent 2 hours trying to get a good Thor. Fuck the old system, but the new system is too easy and broken too. :(

No 3D models and no anime cutscenes = automatic worse version for me.

P3P doesn't have this:

ibmpoSLFfN97dN.gif

This... visual novels and the like exist because a developer can't afford to do a lot of things they want to do graphically... but in Persona 3 and FES we already had this! Going back to being told what's happening in text form is a step back no matter how you look at it.

It's not a matter of Fem versus Male MC, it's a matter of poorly executed port job due to limited storage space in UMDs.

Hollycat

Are we really talking about the superiority of a female skin versus a male skin for a SILENT main character? Personality? I don' even.

... Have you never played persona? The protagonists are in no way silent, and in P3P the protagonist can even be bitchy or sweet.

EDIT: Can we all just agree that Atlus should make a mix of P3P and FES and release it on console and handheld? Then we would have one version that is definitively the bestestest.

That reminds me. Does P3FES still have a save bug in the PSN version? Been wanting to get it but been put off after hearing that.

OT: I have a Vita, so I doubt I'll triple-dip. Though the satisfaction of having 3, 4 and 5 on one system is pretty tantalising.

Tomodachi

... Have you never played persona? The protagonists are in no way silent, and in P3P the protagonist can even be bitchy or sweet.
Except you're the one selecting what the character has to say. You shape her/his personality. That's what a silent main character is for. Giving the choice of a more funny answer doesn't make that character funny, if there's an alternative. It's just who you want she/he to be.

EDIT: so much grammar fail D:

That reminds me. Does P3FES still have a save bug in the PSN version? Been wanting to get it but been put off after hearing that.

OT: I have a Vita, so I doubt I'll triple-dip. Though the satisfaction of having 3, 4 and 5 on one system is pretty tantalising.

No they fixed most of the bugs, but since there is no patch service for PS2 classics, you must delete the game and redownload it, and it will be patched.

Hollycat

Except you're the one selecting what the character has to say. You shape her/his personality. That's what a silent main character is for. Giving the choice of a more funny answer doesn't make that character funny, if there's an alternative. It's just who you want she/he to be.

So you're saying Shephard in mass effect is a silent protagonist?

A silent Protagonist is someone like Gordon Freeman who has no voice or personality ever.

Is the dragonborn a silent protagonist?
How about the Grey Warden?

Even if you choose what they say, they are still saying something. They are more an avatar, not a silent protagonist.

Persona7

Banned
So they got the voice actors for chie and teddie to sign a updated contract?

weird

No they fixed most of the bugs, but since there is no patch service for PS2 classics, you must delete the game and redownload it, and it will be patched.

They fixed the bug from occurring as often as it did but it can still happen.

wait a second, I thought the female character was supposed to be ni FES but they ran into technical issues so they could not do it? I vaguely remember reading something to that effect.

This... visual novels and the like exist because a developer can't afford to do a lot of things they want to do graphically... but in Persona 3 and FES we already had this! Going back to being told what's happening in text form is a step back no matter how you look at it.

It's not a matter of Fem versus Male MC, it's a matter of poorly executed port job due to limited storage space in UMDs.

True, P3P is just simply inferior in many other ways (besides it still retains the original male MC anyway). Graphically it's quite a step down when there's 3D visuals involved. Even though Persona games are made on a tight budget, the presentation is still a big part of their charm and a lot of that was lost in transition. But it's a good game to play through for the new content and I'd still love to see a definitive version of P3 (on Vita) with the strengths of both versions someday.

Gbraga

I disagree. Persona 3's opening cutscene was amazing and defined its atmosphere right from the start. Same goes for others like the protagonist's awakening cutscene and others.

They're also a great reward, at least I've always seen them that way, I was really excited when a new anime cutscene started. Same as CGI for S-E RPGs.

EDIT: Can we all just agree that Atlus should make a mix of P3P and FES and release it on console and handheld? Then we would have one version that is definitively the bestestest.

Hell yes. Walking around the city, controlling the party, anime cutscenes and playing as a female? Like a dream come true (such a great song :3)

AlexBasch

I initially was mad that they took all the challenge out of the fusion system, but then I replayed P3FES The Answer and spent 2 hours trying to get a good Thor. Fuck the old system, but the new system is too easy and broken too. :(
Yep, made the Shadow Yukiko fight way too easy because I had an Eligor that had fire resistance through skill and natural strike resistance, so it wasn't that hard.

I'm more against the Skill Cards thing though, adding Mabufu for example, really early in the game in a random Persona can be worse, I think.

I'm actually playing P3 FES right now and I will say that P3P does feel incomplete.. I played P3P first and loved it, I thought I would have a hard time with P3 FES due to not being able to fully control your party but it's been really fun so far.

So they got the voice actors for chie and teddie to sign a updated contract?

weird

They fixed the bug from occurring as often as it did but it can still happen.

wait a second, I thought the female character was supposed to be in FES but they ran into technical issues so they could not do it? I vaguely remember reading something to that effect.

Close, she was supposed to be in the original P3, when they had to bail out of that, she became Yukari:

Initial concept
Persona_3_Yukari.jpg

updated
also featuring the beta MC design
art60.jpg

Actually pretty neat that they actually went and made the final Female Protagonist very similar to her very first concept look from all those years ago:

Persona_3_female.jpg

P3p_female_sketch.jpg

P3 was a very ambitious game and we are still missing a ton of content that they intended to put in, some of it ended up in some of those many audio dramas that P3 has.

Tomodachi

So you're saying Shephard in mass effect is a silent protagonist?

A silent Protagonist is someone like Gordon Freeman who has no voice or personality ever.

Is the dragonborn a silent protagonist?
How about the Grey Warden?

Even if you choose what they say, they are still saying something. They are more an avatar, not a silent protagonist.
Allright, a bit on the nitpicking side but a fair point, I meant they're avatars for the player, not strictly silent like Chrono or Gordon Freeman. But my point still stands. FeMC is just a skin with the personality you want her to have (same as the male, I'm not a mysoginist I swear!!1).

That said, play P3 wherever you can, just play it guys :p

Hollycat

Allright, a bit on the nitpicking side but a fair point, I meant they're avatars for the player, not strictly silent like Chrono or Gordon Freeman. But my point still stands. FeMC is just a skin with the personality you want her to have (same as the male, I'm not a mysoginist I swear!!1).

That said, play P3 wherever you can, just play it guys :p

I'll stop after this post. The whole thing about the FeMC is she's much better written than any other Main characters in the series, and her interactions with others are written to be more genuine than the Male MC in P3. She's still sort of a blank slate, but it's obvious they put more thought into her dialogue paths than into the Male PC.

^I think the Persona 2 protagonists Tatsuya Suou and Maya Amano are better, and you also have to keep in mind, that FeMC was their latest protagonist done, after P4.
I'm guessing it'll be $20 (with frequent sales, of course).

Well SMT Devil Summoner Raidou 1 just came out on PSN as a PS2 Classic today and its 10 dollars

ohlawd

Well SMT Devil Summoner Raidou 1 just came out on PSN as a PS2 Classic today and its 10 dollars
!

10 dollar price temporary or permanent? I was thinking of just getting the discs for 1 and 2 (will cost me 50 total including shipping) but 10 dollars....

Top Bottom