• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 now on North American PSN as a PS2 Classic - $9.99

I dunno, I think new Chie sounds more like a teenager, but it's just that. A prototypical girl teenager voice that you couldn't pick out of a crowd.

OG Chie's voice maybe ain't the best fit for the role, she sounds a bit older than the target, but it has a uniqueness and a personality to it. You hear that voice, you'd instantly associate that performance. A reading overheard in New Chie voice would conjure a hazy cloud of a hundred spunky anime girl roles.
Absolutely, I would agree with this completely. I wouldn't say original Chie sounds more like a teenager than new Chie (though I always disagree with the assertion that she sounds too old, I think people are too used to how teenagers sound in cartoons and anime and not familiar with the vocal range actual teenagers actually have), but it was absolutely more distinct.

That's not your right to decide.
Sure it is. It's just criticism of the product in the same way anything else on this board is.

Curufinwe

wqHQowC.gif

Worst part of P3. He should have died in that fire.

Tomodachi

You absolutely, positively have no idea what you're talking about.
And you didn't bother to read my previous posts where I expanded on that but it's ok. Just wanted to point out, I never said P3P is worse than FES because of the main character changes. Don't even know why I was dragged in the FeMC discussion, lol.

kick51

Banned
I hate to be *that guy* but I have a friend who worked for a company that worked with Sony (can't really say which part of the process since it narrows his line of work too much) and there are around 50 or so ps2 titles basically ready to go but haven't been released/brought out. Apparently Persona 4 was one of them that's been hanging around the longest, and I'm glad it's finally being released

this is the most interesting part of the thread.

.la1n

I hate to be *that guy* but I have a friend who worked for a company that worked with Sony (can't really say which part of the process since it narrows his line of work too much) and there are around 50 or so ps2 titles basically ready to go but haven't been released/brought out. Apparently Persona 4 was one of them that's been hanging around the longest, and I'm glad it's finally being released

Doesn't surprise me, we been waiting forever for Gradius V since it's rating was revealed.

Rafterman

Banned
I dunno, I think new Chie sounds more like a teenager, but it's just that. A prototypical girl teenager voice that you couldn't pick out of a crowd.

OG Chie's voice maybe ain't the best fit for the role, she sounds a bit older than the target, but it has a uniqueness and a personality to it. You hear that voice, you'd instantly associate that performance. A reading overheard in New Chie voice would conjure a hazy cloud of a hundred spunky anime girl roles.

That's what I dislike about it, a distinct lack of personality. Half the time she sounded phoned in compared to the new Chie.

She is not horrible. It is just that the original Chie VO was so good and I can't get used to the new voice overs.

Exact opposite for me. It's like playing with the DS4 and then going back to the DS3, it's just not as good. There is so much life and personality in the new Chie the old one just seems drab in comparison.

SlickVic

That's what I dislike about it, a distinct lack of personality. Half the time she sounded phoned in compared to the new Chie..

Yeah, I feel I have a much easier time recalling new Chie's voice because to me, that has more personality to it. I never did a full original P4 playthrough, so that's probably affecting my impression on the voices as well. But honestly, this point on personality in voices sounds so incredibly subjective, I'm not sure if it's even worth debating.

I adore OG Chie as well. Not that Fitzgerald is bad. But after multiple playthroughs spanning hundreds of hours with Tracey Rooney's great performance, she IS the character to me. And its a character that I really treasure. Same goes for Teddie.

Would buy yet again on PS3 either way though...

I just saw this news and it's pretty funny timing because I just started playing Persona 4 Golden again yesterday. Sooooooo good! I'd dip again just to support Atlus! I also downloaded Raidou Kuzunoha today because it's awesome!

Persona7

Banned
That's what I dislike about it, a distinct lack of personality. Half the time she sounded phoned in compared to the new Chie.

Exact opposite for me. It's like playing with the DS4 and then going back to the DS3, it's just not as good. There is so much life and personality in the new Chie the old one just seems drab in comparison.

I am curious, was golden your first experience with Persona 4?

RE_Player

After playing Golden I don't know if I could go back. Same with P3P and FES.

Will buy it to show my support for the series however.

Kura

Banned
I just bough a Vita yesterday with P4 on mind (wasnt available on the store), and now this announcement. Am I the unluckiest guy in the world?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bleh.

For whatever reason anyone would want to play Vanilla P4 if P4G is already available? Absolutely pointless, in my eyes, unless for those who are so averse in buying a Vita for it I guess.

I just bough a Vita yesterday with P4 on mind (wasnt available on the store), and now this announcement. Am I the unluckiest guy in the world?

Nope. P4G is a much superior choice.

Yooooo are you taking shots at the P3 MC aka the god of the Persona universe.

Yep. The only guy with the "UNIVERSE" power. "UNIVERSE", not that wimpy "WORLD", but "UNIVERSE"

There's simply SO much more content, and everything about Marie is fantastic.

Not only was Marie a great character that added one of the more compelling story arcs, she fleshed out the other characters better with her interactions with them. She felt like a natural fit despite being added into a new edition of the game.

Marie was a by-the-book Tsundere and I felt like her "friendship" with the rest of the cast was really forced to the point where I rolled my eyes when
Chie proclaimed something to the tune of braving life and death situation for her because she's their friend.

Not to mention the reward for
beating her dungeon
was god-awful.

Acid08

Banned
Bleh.

For whatever reason anyone would want to play Vanilla P4 if P4G is already available? Absolutely pointless, in my eyes, unless for those who are so averse in buying a Vita for it I guess.

Nope. P4G is a much superior choice.
Some people may not want to spend $200+ for one game. There's great content, and some nice mechanical changes, in P4G but original P4 is still totally amazing.

Plus no Marie so you can experience the story before it was tainted.

Fou-Lu

Some people may not want to spend $200+ for one game. There's great content, and some nice mechanical changes, in P4G but original P4 is still totally amazing.

Except he did already spend $200 for one game so obviously he wanted to.

IMO P4G is MUCH better than P4 and totally worth it. Plus Vita is a great handheld with some other great software worth having.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well, not that P4 is a *bad* game, true...

But people, if you haven't played P4 before and you have the recourse to actually get a Vita and P4G, please do that instead. If you can't or won't, then I guess vanilla P4 is acceptable... a rather big downgrade though :p

I don't think Golden's extra content was all that compelling, and sometimes felt that some of it lessened the overall appeal of the complete package. Regardless of the new social links, awful Tales-tier skits and fanservice nonsense, it did bring some gameplay tweaks to the table that are going to be pretty rough to miss. Fusing especially becomes a drag when you go back to vanilla. I can't imagine it should be too difficult to integrate this into the port, but it all depends on how much effort they're willing to put into it.

Acid08

Banned
Except he did already spend $200 for one game so obviously he wanted to.

IMO P4G is MUCH better than P4 and totally worth it. Plus Vita is a great handheld with some other great software worth having.
Except I was responding to his LB's sentiment and not the other guy.

No argument that the Vita is great, love mine, but if someone doesn't want one then original P4 is still an amazing option. It's a bit more antiquated at this point but nothing too bad.

Well, not that P4 is a *bad* game, true...

But people, if you haven't played P4 before and you have the recourse to actually get a Vita and P4G, please do that instead. If you can't or won't, then I guess vanilla P4 is acceptable... a rather big downgrade though :p

OG P4 is much more than acceptable. Guess we'll have to disagree there :p

Acid08

Banned
Marie 'tainted' P4G? As someone who hadn't played P4 before she seemed to fit in perfectly.
As someone who played P4 before P4G, she felt 100% unnecessary the entire way through.

If P4G was your first experience then obviously you wouldn't feel like that. But even then many do not liker her character and social link.

As someone who played P4 before P4G, she felt 100% unnecessary the entire way through.

If P4G was your first experience then obviously you wouldn't feel like that. But even then many do not liker her character and social link.

If anyone felt unnecessary to me it was the music club/drama club social link. :p

Meia

The funny thing is, I'll buy this day one only because I like big screen Persona. If Vita TV was out everywhere, I'd have already played Golden on it. :(

Still, have bought Persona 3 like 5 times, so this'll be like #3 for Persona 4, which is just fine. :p

In terms of additions, Marie wasn't a bad addition, so people are kind of missing the mark with that idea. It added another level to the end-game in terms of the goings-on, even if it wasn't needed. I'd like to think the reason people strongly dislike her is the same reason I do, that as a character she was horribly misused because they didn't feel like putting too much work into integrating her into the actual story more. Many scenes would have had to be changed(even if it was just the addition of a few lines here and there), and they just couldn't be assed to do. This is fine, but meh.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
OG P4 is much more than acceptable. Guess we'll have to disagree there :p

True.... if you don't have access to the much superior P4G that is >___________>

Anyways, while I am at it, also buy P3FES from PSN folks! P3P is okay.... but P3FES is way superior in terms of the overall feel and atmosphere so play it instead of P3P if you never play P3 before! *raises flame shield*

Acid08

Banned
True.... if you don't have access to the much superior P4G that is >___________>

Anyways, while I am at it, also buy P3FES from PSN folks! P3P is okay.... but P3FES is way superior in terms of the overall feel and atmosphere so play it instead of P3P if you never play P3 before! *raises flame shield*
This I'll agree with. FES is the only way to first experience P3. P3P totally butchers the story scenes.

Why are we all sure it's the Classic version, and not the vita version ?

Because it would say Persona 4 Golden if it was the Vita version?

Meia

Because it would say Persona 4 Golden if it was the Vita version?

Yep.

I mean, it's not TOTALLY beyond the realm of possibility for them to do a PS3 version of P4G, but I don't see it happening. I'm just happy that this'll be another PS2-era Atlus game for PSN. Only 4 more to go!

...which is why I really hope that the P5 PS3 engine is good enough to go to the PS4, since they made like 8 games on the engine they came up with in the PS2 era. :D

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
PLEASE ATLUS, make the next release to be:

NOOCTUUUURNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I will cry a world's worth of happy tears the moment Nocturne is announced as PS2 classic ;_______________;

wtf. when did this happen? do original discs work?

AFAIK only digital versions, a.k.a. those listed in PS2 classic section, can work.

Top Bottom