• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 now on North American PSN as a PS2 Classic - $9.99

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Isn't a problem with Nocturne for everyone that's saying it that it has Dante in it?

He's replaced by the much cooler Raidou in the last iteration of Nocturne.

Speaking of Raidou...

HOLLLY FUCKKKKKKKKKKK I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE 1st KUZUNOHA GAME IS ALSO BEING RELEASED AS CLASSIC!!!

Isn't a problem with Nocturne for everyone that's saying it that it has Dante in it?

yep well he got replaced by Raidou but that version is JP if i recall, and apparently DDS has problems running with the PS2 emulator.

well that was back around 2011 i think, hopefully its fixed now

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Chie's voice was terrible at first but you get used to it.

Erin's voice is a miss on a lot of people. She's Agnes from Bravely Default, Trisha (girl with the afro) from Catherine iirc, Teepo from Tales of Xillia... uhh yeah. I think she's aight.

Whatttttt.

Dantis

Original P4 is great. P4G's additions were mostly insignificant, and in some cases, flat out terrible.

I really don't see how it's even a debate. Unless old Chie was the only reason you liked Persona 4, I can't imagine why you'd prefer P4 to P4G. There's simply SO much more content, and everything about Marie is fantastic.

This is one crazy-ass opinion.

Hollycat

For What it's worth I like Marie. And for those of you who think it's crazy they're willing to risk their lives for her because they're friends, don't forget that they also risked their lives to
save Kanji who they barely knew and Mitsuo who they were convinced was a bloodthirsty murderer. Which he was.
In what way is rescuing Marie out of the ordinary for them?
They had more reason to rescue Marie than they did Kanji, and really Naoto for that matter.

FTF

Ok so I've never played a Persona game but want to...since most seem to love 4 can I start with this one and enjoy it/not be completely lost? If not, which one should I start with?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ok so I've never played a Persona game but want to...since most seem to love 4 can I start with this one and enjoy it/not be completely lost? If not, which one should I start with?

Just start with 4. The story is largely stand-alone.

Personas are all stand alone. The most you miss from other persona is a couple nods and very minor cameos.

Hollycat

You can easily start with 4. Each game is a separate story.
You might want to start with Persona 3 FES or P3P if you have one of the sony portables first, because it's kind of hard to go to 3 if you play 4 first, although 3 is a great game too.
It's just got a more morbid tone.

Meia

Yep, if you start with 4, the only thing you may want to do is play 3 if you ever plan on playing the fighting game, which continues the story of 4 and has characters from 3(as well as most of it's story beats).

Ryuukan

i got some others for ya, Nazz and may kranker from Ed,edd,eddy and quark from Virtue's last reward, Emmeryn from FE:A, Junko Enoshima and Touko Fukawa from Danganronpa.... let that first one sink in ya :p

Listening to Queen Toko in english? Sounds like true despair, aka this guy's view of persona:

Original P4 is great. P4G's additions were mostly insignificant, and in some cases, flat out terrible.

ohlawd

i got some others for ya, Nazz and may kranker from Ed,edd,eddy and quark from Virtue's last reward, Emmeryn from FE:A, Junko Enoshima and Touko Fukawa from Danganronpa.... let that first one sink in ya :p
I let the first one sink and it straight up killed my childhood. You monster.

sensui-tomo

Listening to Queen Toko in english? Sounds like true despair, aka this guy's view of persona:

i havent played the game *yet*
but for p4G vs p4, the good stuff it added in my opinion, more time to do all the social links and the demon fusion(this was good i believe in opinions and facts but i firmly believe this is factually better) and i know what dantis didnt like ala anything fanservicey(which for me i dont mind... as long as its not eiken( dont search it ... plz dont)
I let the first one sink and it straight up killed my childhood. You monster.
I do my best, http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Erin-Fitzgerald/ this site usually helps me in killing childhoods with Voices(i have this weird obsession with knowing crap about english VAs)

Ryuukan

i havent played the game *yet*
but for p4G vs p4, the good stuff it added in my opinion, more time to do all the social links and the demon fusion(this was good i believe in opinions and facts but i firmly believe this is factually better) and i know what dantis didnt like ala anything fanservicey(which for me i dont mind... as long as its not eiken( dont search it ... plz dont)

If dantis likes to fantasize about persona 4 characters with much larger breasts like his avatar, I'm sure he loves fan service. It's probably a masochistic-level difficulty thing.

PK Gaming

Actually, Toko and Junko were voiced by Amanda C. Miller.

Erin provided the voice for...you know.
(DR spoilers)

Probably wont buy this. I have a PS2 copy and a PS2 plugged in. Maybe in the future? But I don't see any reason for me to personally own it again. I'm glad that Atlus are doing this though and hope they keep it up!

If dantis likes to fantasize about persona 4 characters with much larger breasts like his avatar, I'm sure he loves fan service. It's probably a masochistic-level difficulty thing.

Cat-suits and everything.

FTF

Just start with 4. The story is largely stand-alone.

Personas are all stand alone. The most you miss from other persona is a couple nods and very minor cameos.

You can easily start with 4. Each game is a separate story.
You might want to start with Persona 3 FES or P3P if you have one of the sony portables first, because it's kind of hard to go to 3 if you play 4 first, although 3 is a great game too.
It's just got a more morbid tone.

Cool, thanks guys. Think I'll jump in with 4 then when this is released.

Meia

Newest Atlus Faithful e-mail just got sent out, about the release of the first Devil Summoner game on PSN being available now, and they have this line as the last sentence of it:

Plus, did you all see this? Boy, I bet you would sure like to know what day it's coming out....

Meia

Let's go with April 11th, the day a young Yu Narukami arrives in Inaba for the first time.

*if only they would* :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Someone please remind me, do these PS2 classics get any kind of 'clean up' treatment, or are they just the base PS2 versions with whatever kind of smoothing the PS3's emulator can do to them ?

because I wouldn't mind having a cleaned up version of the game. The emulated PCSX2 version is great and all but my PC is shit.

koutoru

Someone please remind me, do these PS2 classics get any kind of 'clean up' treatment, or are they just the base PS2 versions with whatever kind of smoothing the PS3's emulator can do to them ?

because I wouldn't mind having a cleaned up version of the game. The emulated PCSX2 version is great and all but my PC is shit.
Usually, they're completely identical as if you were actually playing a PS2, without any extra touch ups.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

The same as PSX titles on PSN: Straight-up ISO dump converted into Sony's EBOOT.PBP format to run in their emulator with said .PBP DRM.

No clean-up, no new translation. Nothing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
well that's a bummer ..

in that case I hope they pull a double whammy and reveal that this is P4Golden "HD" just labeled as P4 because .. reasons ..

Persona7

Banned
will purchase instantly for dat digital

I still wonder what happened between when they were recording voices for Golden and this release...They must have come to an agreement with the voice actors for chie and teddy in the original.

Awesome game but if you have any intention of ever getting a Vita, I'd recommend holding off and just getting Golden instead. So much better than the original (especially being able to control fusion inheritance & the new victory card game).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Well, the side stuff (PQ, P4A, etc.) does have P3 and P4 mostly in the same universe.

Top Bottom