• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 US Dec. 9, 2008

Magnusson

Neo Member
I'm really glad that they're looking at the pronunciations and the voice acting. Some of the names in P3 were horribly mispronounced, along with some of the more awkward infusions of honorifics that were also not pronounced right. It's a more personal peeve, though, since most people in the US who don't know the language probably wouldn't notice.

Also, I hope they really make sure the VO for Rise is good, because as we learned from Fuuka, the voice you're going to hear every battle is going to be hugely important and really, REALLY annoying if done wrong.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Judging from the info I just read on the game...it's never coming out here. Unless they heavily censor it but that will just hamper the game. Dammit, I'm sure the ESRB will never allow it to be classified.

This is just another Innocent Sin.

I want my Rise dammit. Censor if you have to Atlus but be discreet.

Blackjack

Pedobear said:
Judging from the info I just read on the game...it's never coming out here. Unless they heavily censor it but that will just hamper the game. Dammit, I'm sure the ESRB will never allow it to be classified.

Why would they censor anything?

Yaweee

Himuro said:
1UP: Let's talk game length. I guess I'll couch the question this way: Based on the amount of text in the text file, how does it compare to Persona 3?

YN: It's way bigger.

NM: Every MegaTen game I've ever worked on becomes the biggest game I've ever worked on.

1UP: So how much bigger would say, based on times or percentage-wise?

NM: What did we decide on that? 1.5 times? Something like that.

YN: Around that, yeah.

NM: I feel like, even if it's not longer based on hours, there's more to do. I feel like there'll be less repetition in the time that you do have. That's my impression of the game.

Holy shiiiit. I spent 100 hours with Persona 3 EASILY.

Will Persona be Himu's game of the year two years running?

The director posted on the JP Atlusnet page discussing it and said basically the same thing, how overwhelmed he is with how much new stuff there is in the game. The thing is, since the game isn't longer, it is both more full during the duration of the game, and there is more to see on a subsequent playthrough.

In addition to the changes I listed earlier in this thread, there seem to be about two dozen more improvements to the basic gameplay. It just sounds so damn fantastic.

Amir0x

Banned
1.5 times the size of Persona 3? Really?

I genuinely don't think i have enough time in the fucking world to go through 170 hours or so of Persona 4. Even though I liked Persona 3. Maybe I'll have to sit this one out, or maybe they are filthy liars exaggerating!

Blackjack

Amir0x said:

I genuinely don't think i have enough time in the fucking world to go through 170 hours or so of Persona 4. Even though I liked Persona 3. Maybe I'll have to sit this one out, or maybe they are filthy liars exaggerating!
It seems like the game isn't longer, there's just more of it. Which is fine with me, since by the end of Persona 3 I was just mashing X through the school scenes and then advancing to the next day.

dionysus

Yaldog
Ah, to be 19, skipping class, and playing persona 4 10 hours straight every day. Now I will be lucky to finish this game before ps4 comes out.

Guled

Pedobear said:

whats in it that will cause it to be ban?

Blackjack

jvalioli said:
Unless there are naked women running around everywhere, I don't see them having to censor Persona 4 for America.
Even if there are...we got a GIANT PENIS IN A CHARIOT with no problems.

Hell, we got a TWELVE YEAR OLD BOY SHOOTING HIMSELF IN THE HEAD with no problems.

Amir0x said:

The interview makes it sound like it's what everyone really wanted from P3's successor: more content present to fill up the existing X days and make them more varied, rather than actually making the game "longer" per se.

Pedobear said:
Judging from the info I just read on the game...it's never coming out here.

Son, we live in America here, not Nazi Germany.

Pedobear said:

It is not 1996 anymore.

MechaX

Pedobear said:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, which is
the ability to date guys, ala TatsuyaxJun in IS, which you can actually do in P4
, then I wouldn't worry too much. P4 will virtually fly straight under the radar like P3 did.

Guled said:
wait, both bully and fable have gay relationships, and they got here ok, why wont this.

Add Jade Empire to that list.

Guled

wait, bully, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and fable have gay relationships, and they got here ok, why wont this.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Never played those games. I just don't want nothing to get in the way of me and P4...and Rise.

MechaX said:
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, which is
the ability to date guys, ala TatsuyaxJun in IS, which you can actually do in P4
, then I wouldn't worry too much. P4 will virtually fly straight under the radar like P3 did.

Add Jade Empire to that list.

Hey, if gay is your way, that's okay.

Yaweee

Okay, from what I've gathered, here are a list of changes to the basics of the game systems. Some are posted earlier in this thread, and other are from the JP Thread.

I'm spoiler tagging it, as I know there are some people that want to know nil, even about the gameplay. These are the sort of gameplay details/improvements that would show up in a fairly detailed but non-spoilery review.

So, no real story spoilers outside of the basic premise.

-No more lunar system. Instead, the game revolves around weather, with foggy nights serving as the encroaching deadline instead of Full Moons. You can check the 7-day forecast on television. It also helps add graphical variety to the town of Inaba, as well as mixing up the daily scheduling.
-Controllable party members, though you can choose AI if you want.
-More Personas (more of a natural progression than 'improvement')
-Male Party members are their Arcanas respective S. Links.
-Leveling an S. Link of a party member improves their performance in battle, though I don't exactly know how.
-You can choose who to spend your lunch breaks with to advance that S. Link (probably just points rather than full level ups)
-S. Links are not necessarily linear; with women, they can branch either into a 'friend' or 'girl-friend' paths.
-Multiple dungeons open up as you advance the story, though I'm still not sure if there is also a game -long one in addition.
-Dungeons are still random, but the engine is less repetitive.
-Dungeons have traps of some kind.
-Dungeons have locked chests that require keys.
-There is a 'Fusion Forecast' system where each day has a different fusion that will give you a bonus (i.e. a special item or stat boost if you create a specific persona, or use a specific persona). The forecast can be checked ahead of time just like the weather.
-Hard mode accessible from the beginning, AND the game is said to be generally harder.
-Alternate S. Links for some Arcana, dependent on which Sports Club and Activity you join.
-Wait is replaced with 'Guard', which increases your defense.
-Guarding eliminates your weaknesses.
-Characters will jump in to take damage for the MC, with the frequency is somehow based on S. Link level.
-Hit-all magic that hits one weakness but lands regular hits on others still gives a 'one more'. This sounds analogous to Nocturne's system, so I'm guessing that if you miss the other enemies or hit a null/reflect, you won't get the bonus turn.
-It no longer consumes a turn to recover from getting knocked down. Instead, getting hit with a weakness while you're knocked down can cause the Faint status, which does require a turn to get back up from.
-Shuffle Time also has a timing element introduced, as not only is there there the X-card monty, but also a roulette style shift.
-Questions in story scenes can have an influence on your social stats.
-Mute status ailment that prevents Spells from being cast, but not other Persona usage.
-Enemy reinforcements can show up after you win a fight, like the core SMT games.
-Returning to the first floor of a dungeon no longer completely recovers the party for free.

There's a few other minor things that I've omitted. All of the above might not be completely true, though they are the current word; about half are taken from the official pre-release information (previews and the official site), while the other half are from people that claim to be playing the game.

Now, the next thing some people might want to be surprised over, but they're likely to be stated in any review you read of the game.

-The Social Stats are:
Knowledge(probably translated as Academics), Bravery (probably Courage), Perseverance (NEW), Communication Ability (probably Charm), Tolerance (NEW).

This is what appears to be the full version of the battle theme. Though the comments look okay so far, it is youtube, so don't read them. Not just for spoilers, but they generally might make your brain bleed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gRwFapCq3vY

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Simply awesome... This game is pullin' at me so hard that I imported the Japanese Konamistyle edition... I can't even read a lick' of Japanese to save my life and I'm going to attempt to play through it...

And again in December!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Aaron

Guled said:
wait, bully, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and fable have gay relationships, and they got here ok, why wont this.
Sims did it first, and boy did that game suffer for it... by being one of the most popular PC games of all time.

Blackjack

DMPrince said:
which site will have the preorder goodness? I want the shirt and soundtrack. and i mean for the US release. Amazon? ;o
All copies are coming with the soundtrack. I...don't know anything about a shirt.

Volcynika

This isn't completely Persona 4 related, but here's an interesting snippet from the latest Atlus newsletter.

"Believe it or not, Faithful, we're not done yet. Persona 4, sure, that was a big one. But it's not the only big announcement we have this month. Oh, we're such teases."

Volcynika said:
"Believe it or not, Faithful, we're not done yet. Persona 4, sure, that was a big one. But it's not the only big announcement we have this month. Oh, we're such teases."

What on earth could Atlus possibly have left to announce that would be "big"?

Darkman M

Bigger then persona 3? Great news! I love long rpg's as long as they don't drag, if it takes me months to beat it so be it i feel i get my moneys worth when i stack up the hours.

zoku88

Volcynika said:
This isn't completely Persona 4 related, but here's an interesting snippet from the latest Atlus newsletter.

I totally imagined that last line in a bad voice :lol :lol

Volcynika

charlequin said:
What on earth could Atlus possibly have left to announce that would be "big"?

Knights in the Nightmare!

I know it's not big and doesn't hit Japan till like September, but I still want it :(

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Himuro said:
Super Robot Wars.

Yeah... that would be big. And umm super.

Atlus is pure evil... They release so many games, but so many take so long. Give people time to play dammit!

Volcynika said:
Knights in the Nightmare!

I know it's not big and doesn't hit Japan till like September, but I still want it :(

For some reason I thought that was already announced here. I guess it isn't. I want to find out what the hell it is! The videos look so compelling but I want to make sense of it.

Volcynika

Galactic Fork said:
Yeah... that would be big. And umm super.

Atlus is pure evil... They release so many games, but so many take so long. Give people time to play dammit!

I think by this point, they've already released the same amount of games they did the entirety of 2007. And we still have over 5 months to go!

NichM

Banned
Volcynika said:
I think by this point, they've already released the same amount of games they did the entirety of 2007. And we still have over 5 months to go!

Let me think... In 2007, we had:

Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner
Izuna
Riviera
Etrian Odyssey
Odin Sphere
Growlanser: Heritage of War
Persona 3
Touch Detective 2.5
Luminous Arc
Draglade
Ontamarama
Trauma Center: New Blood

And in 2008 so far, we've had:

Baroque
Persona 3 FES
Rondo of Swords
Drone Tactics
Etrian Odyssey II
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
Operation Darkness
R-Type Command
Summon Night: Twin Age
Arcana Heart

So not quite, it's just 10 to 12 so far. But Izuna 2, Spectral Force 3, Master of the Monster Lair, Zoids Assault, Yggdra Union, Dokapon Kingdom, and Persona 4 would definitely make up the difference, even if we were stopping with those.

NichM said:
Let me think... In 2007, we had:

Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner
Izuna
Riviera
Etrian Odyssey
Odin Sphere
Growlanser: Heritage of War
Persona 3
Touch Detective 2.5
Luminous Arc
Draglade
Ontamarama
Trauma Center: New Blood

And in 2008 so far, we've had:

Baroque
Persona 3 FES
Rondo of Swords
Drone Tactics
Etrian Odyssey II
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
Operation Darkness
R-Type Command
Summon Night: Twin Age
Arcana Heart

So not quite, it's just 10 to 12 so far. But *list of games* would definitely make up the difference, even if we were stopping with those.
Bolds are my purchases (so far ;)):D

As for the rest, you guys really are teases :p

Volcynika

NichM said:
So not quite, it's just 10 to 12 so far. But Izuna 2, Spectral Force 3, Master of the Monster Lair, Zoids Assault, Yggdra Union, Dokapon Kingdom, and Persona 4 would definitely make up the difference, even if we were stopping with those.

Like that would happen!

Top Bottom