• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 DLC Price and Release Dates

I mean yeah its expensive and really needs a season pass for it at a cheaper price for everything but its far from the worst.

Tales of Berseria was like 12$ for a whole set of party costumes and there was only 6 party members :/ 7$ + music isn't nearly as bad but yeah as a whole this is one trend that needs to stop being so insane.

Those DLC prices hurt. SMTIV set looks awesome but not $7 awesome. If they ever do some kind of bundle and I'm still playing it, sure... but I doubt it. Default costumes should be fine.

Do the BGMs automatically play? Or can you equip the outfits without the music changing? I feel I'll enjoy the P5 soundtrack too much to change the music.

kadotsu

Banned
I think I'll save my money for the DLC and put it away somewhere to buy the inevitable rerelease of P5 in a few years.

Rozart

For some reason, I always just assumed that these will be free DLC.

I'll be grabbing Goro and Morgana's PS4 theme when P5 comes out but I'll probably be holding off on buying these costume DLCs...probably.

Ultimadrago

I hate large cosmetic DLC schedules so fucking much.

All of the good outfits don't even release until at least April 25th or later. I'll be done with the game by then.

Phu

Banned
I hate large cosmetic DLC schedules so fucking much.

All of the good outfits don't even release until at least April 25th or later. I'll be done with the game by then.

I'm sure someone, somewhere has the data on whether doling it out like this is good, but you're right, and it seems like it would be less profitable than just dumping them all close to/at release.

I would buy the Devil Summoner one RIGHT NOW (for the low price of 1.4x Episode Gladio's) but it feels completey pointless when it won't be out until after I'm done with the game.

213372bu

Banned
Musou sounds like great value. I'm used to paying 3-5 bucks for individual costumes in fighters and RPGs, so this honestly feels about the norm to me. Even cheap!

Now I know why everyone keeps playing Musou!
It makes sense why you'd get there from fighting games, I've totally dodged non-character DLC for that reason.

Wait, so those Persona Picaro sets are actual, exclusive Persona you can purchase? I wonder how strong they are...

At least for the Izanagi and Orpheus set, not particularly. The work it works is that once you have the set, you can summon them from the compendium for free the first time (with base skills) or, once your level is high enough, you can fuse them normally. They start at a base level of something like 20-28, so they're not remarkable at all. More worthwhile for the skills they have, which are fairly strong ones you can get in the early game.

vg260

Musou sounds like great value. I'm used to paying 3-5 bucks for individual costumes in fighters and RPGs, so this honestly feels about the norm to me. Even cheap!

Now I know why everyone keeps playing Musou!

Last gen for fighters, the norm felt like small costume bundles with the average $/costume being around or less than one dollar. $1 on average feels like a good rule of thumb to me. Much higher than that starts to feel exploitative, particularly launch costumes, and when compared to the common price of $5 for a fighting game character which is a hugely important piece of content. It seems to me that only very recently have fighter DLC costumes started hitting $3-4.

I think publishers are using the "it's only cosmetic" angle in fighters, and mobas/rpgs genenerally having much higher pricing to partially justify the price jumps this gen. Granted the business models and support length have changed, but I still stick to the $1 per costume average to help gauge value. It's why I have yet to buy a SFV costume.

Ultimadrago

At least for the Izanagi and Orpheus set, not particularly. The work it works is that once you have the set, you can summon them from the compendium for free the first time (with base skills) or, once your level is high enough, you can fuse them normally. They start at a base level of something like 20-28, so they're not remarkable at all. More worthwhile for the skills they have, which are fairly strong ones you can get in the early game.

Thanks for the info!

sensui-tomo

Speaking of musou titles, the legacy costumes from DW3-6 cost $2.99 and heres the fun part, that was a costume for every character from said game, so about 38+ costumes for $2.99. (and thats just from DW3 which didnt have as many as 4,5 and 6 (they always increased the amount of characters )) but i gotta spend $7 for costumes for the cast.

duckroll

Last gen for fighters, the norm felt like small costume bundles with the average $/costume being around or less than one dollar. $1 on average feels like a good rule of thumb to me. Much higher than that starts to feel exploitative, particularly launch costumes, and when compared to the common price of $5 for a fighting game character which is a hugely important piece of content. It seems to me that only very recently have fighter DLC costumes started hitting $3-4.

I think publishers are using the "it's only cosmetic" angle in fighters, and mobas/rpgs genenerally having much higher pricing to partially justify the price jumps this gen. Granted the business models and support length have changed, but I still stick to the $1 per costume average to help gauge value. It's why I have yet to buy a SFV costume.

For me it's really about the costume rather than the cost as a starting point. I'm more interested in what I get rather than how low a price I pay. It's all optional so I don't -have- to buy anything. But if I do want to buy something, I would prefer something that has effort put into it.

You can sell a bundle of say, 20 color/texture swaps for 5 bucks. That would be good value for someone who just wants "more options" without caring what the options are. But I really like costumes which are essentially new models. Games that do that tend to charge more fro them. I don't mind paying a few dollars for a single costume that I really like, and that's worth more to me than a dozen costumes which are just new textures.

Mengetsu

I don't know if this was answered but does the music change if you don't want the costumes on or are they linked and must be worn for the music?

StereoVsn

So to summarize:

- We don't get costumes in game anymore unlike the awesome selection in P4G
- No free costume DLC that they got in Japan (Catherine, Christmas ones, etc...) beside the stupid swimsuit one
- SE is quite a bit worse then the one in Japan as well with no free costumes/summons and crappier song CD
- 7 months delay from Japan and we still get DLC on delay...
- Oh yeah, and it's $7 per costume set

I am starting to think I should just grab the regular edition from BestBuy/Amazon (or steelbook one I guess) instead of SE and spend $14 on couple costume sets since there is no way I am going to keep using same default costumes for 80 - 100 hour game.

Atlus just finds way la to piss off its fans in the West, don't they...

Edit:
The dlc's will likely all be included in a eventual psn sale
The game itself will also be included in that eventual PSN sale.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't know if this was answered but does the music change if you don't want the costumes on or are they linked and must be worn for the music?
They are tied to the main protagonist & what he's wearing, so if you want Mass Destruction, YOU have to wear the P3 outfit, but everyone else is free to wear whatever they want

Rozart

So to summarize:

- We don't get costumes in game anymore unlike the awesome selection in P4G
- No free costume DLC that they got in Japan (Catherine, Christmas ones, etc...) beside the stupid swimsuit one
- SE is quite a bit worse then the one in Japan as well with no free costumes/summons and crappier song CD
- 7 months delay from Japan and we still get DLC on delay...
- Oh yeah, and it's $7 per costume set

I am starting to think I should just grab the regular edition from BestBuy/Amazon (or steelbook one I guess) instead of SE and spend $14 on couple costume sets since there is no way I am going to keep using same default costumes for 80 - 100 hour game.

Atlus just finds way la to piss off its fans in the West, don't they...

I knew there was a reason why I thought they'd be free!

So to summarize:

The SE thing is completely your opinion. Considering the special edition in Japan was almost entirely digital/copy-able goods rather than actual, limited, physical items, I'm inclined to disagree. (Like it or not, the CDs have already been uploaded online.)

I much rather have a physical steelbook, bag, and plush than a collection of CDs I already have/can download, and a bunch of DLCs that are available anyway.

StereoVsn

I knew there was a reason why I thought they'd be free!
Yeap, it's a BS move by Atlus and Sega. However they know that people are still going to get the game and most likely quite a few will buy the costumes since this is a long RPG and having just one or two outfits for 80 - 100 hours would be quite boring. So basically they don't care.

Handling of P5 in the West is just all kinds of bullshit basically from how delays were handled to the long gap from Japanese release to the SE quality to this DLC business.

Makes one want to just wait for a used version to pop up on GameStop or Amazon. Not that I have nearly the patience for that.

Top Bottom