• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gu4n

What do you mean by quietness?

Also I think the soundtrack is strong, but hard to compare it when every Meguro soundtrack is awesome.
I think he means that the music is 'just there' in the background, there isn't a clear, interesting and/or memorable melody in most tracks.

But yeah, I'm not sold on the soundtrack: the fifth dungeon BGM was too loud, the sixth dungeon got boring after the second repeat.

The rest is gooood, though.

Quocia

Neo Member
I'm in the dungeon in December

Is there any way to heal my sp somewhere? I can only leave the dungeon to buy medicine/weapons but since I'm only lvl1 with the doctor, she doesn't sell me anything useful

Edit: Nevermind, I found the way to do it.
I just had to ask the twin sisters in front of the velvet room

Mieu

Are there difficulty options in this? I suck at JRPGs but had a really good time playing Persona 4 on Normal.

Can I expect a similar kind of balance in this game?

I think so. If you screw up with equipping the wrong persona at the wrong time, you're screwed!!! Hama and Mudo are still there and will occasionally make you mad. Haha!! So you better save whenever possible

What do you mean by quietness?

Also I think the soundtrack is strong, but hard to compare it when every Meguro soundtrack is awesome.

Like what was mentioned in another thread, it's just chill music and not too "pop". I think you just need to let the songs grow on you. You should be able appreciate it after a few hours. Palace 4 is good and the same goes with Last Surprise.

Bebpo

Banned
So uh, what's the point of mementos? I'm like near 40 hours in, halfway through the game and even on hard difficulty any trip to mementos consists of going through the floors fighting enemies almost half my level from one dungeon prior. There's zero challenge and it's pretty boring. The quest bosses are fine and fun, although usually easy too, but I'm mainly talking about the pure dungeon crawling of advancing deeper. Like what was the point of making a random layout dungeon crawler part and then filling it with easy enemies? Mementos would be so much more fun if it was the "hard" dungeon compared to the story dungeons and that's where you went for the higher level tough enemies and scary dungeon crawling.

Anyhow, game's still fantastic but I just don't get what they were going for in mementos dungeon.

Man you guys play fast.

I'm only in early June in the game and I"m already 51 hours in.

Just one day until the results of the 2nd dungeon.

Haven't checked the thread in a bit, are there any new overall impressions of the game? How is it?
Great. That won't change
This is not some hype "Great" , it's a legit great game.
Man you guys play fast.

I'm only in early June in the game and I"m already 51 hours in.

Just one day until the results of the 2nd dungeon.
You play kinda slow. At this rate you're going to clock 200+ hours.

So uh, what's the point of mementos? I'm like near 40 hours in, halfway through the game and even on hard difficulty any trip to mementos consists of going through the floors fighting enemies almost half my level from one dungeon prior. There's zero challenge and it's pretty boring. The quest bosses are fine and fun, although usually easy too, but I'm mainly talking about the pure dungeon crawling of advancing deeper. Like what was the point of making a random layout dungeon crawler part and then filling it with easy enemies? Mementos would be so much more fun if it was the "hard" dungeon compared to the story dungeons and that's where you went for the higher level tough enemies and scary dungeon crawling.

Anyhow, game's still fantastic but I just don't get what they were going for in mementos dungeon.

Mementos is a way to get persona once a palace is done. You realise that a piece of mementos unlock once you've cleared a palace , right ?
One aspect of the gameplay is to have a place to get back to since the story closes the story palaces.
Also , It's a way to get Xp if you seek more. it's a very easy way to quickly get some money.
It's not supposed to be a challenging zone, it's not designed to be one.
Mementos would have been hell to explore if it was filled with hard ennemies for a story reason later first and second for the fact that the co-op quests and normal quests require you to get there.

If you feel the game's too easy , just bump the difficulty up.

Shouta

It's to fill in the gap when the story dungeons are no longer available. If you need to get personas, a little bit of XP, and or money, you hit up Mementos to do so. As it's supplemental instead of the primary thing, they didn't go all in on it.

Dugna

Anybody know if theres a spoiler free guide to this game? I can understand general sense of a convorsation when spoken but when it comes to text I barely know anything...I ordered the 20th collector's edition and should be here sometime in the next few days....so was just wondering is all.

Bebpo

Banned
Haven't checked the thread in a bit, are there any new overall impressions of the game? How is it?

Others have beaten it and loved it. I'm only about halfway, but I think 40 hours gives a good idea of it. About to start the
4th
Dungeon.

At this point I'd give it a 9/10, it's mostly fantastic. The story side is absolutely perfect with great characters, great social links, great main plot. The presentation is out of this world, excellent music, art and visuals. The gameplay has improved in a lot of ways with set dungeon design, new elemental weaknesses/attacks, creative boss fights and quality of life improvements, the school life side is vastly improved with much more variety of things to do and ways to increase stats, lots of interesting social links stuff and despite the higher quality everything, there's still a ton of content as it's a very lengthy game like P3/P4.

But the reason it won't be my GoTY this year (probably goes to Hitman) and the reason I wouldn't give it a 10/10 so far is it's incredibly dumbed down for mainstream appeal to sell as much as possible. I don't mean that too particularly negative. A lot of the mainstream appeal changes are great QoL improvements, but on the downside it's the easiest megaten game ever made. SMTIV was already really bad in this after the intro dungeon (4F/A had a better challenge with the boss rushes), but P5 is even easier than SMTIV and about on par or easier than your standard non-megaten jrpg these days. I've always played every megaten game on normal, but even playing this one on hard I'm finding it easier than every previous megaten on normal. Hard doesn't even help much because it doesn't change anything in the core design, just buffs enemies with more HP and hitting harder. The game for at least the first 40 hours/50% is designed in a way to keep players moving through the story without much challenge.

The only time I ever die is from a bad luck roll on a normal mob, whereas boss fights are generally easy (which is ironic that on bosses you can retry, but a wipe from bad luck on a normal enemy mob means you can lose 30-60 mins of play, whoops). The overall effect of continually dumbing down megaten is that the dungeons crawling, while in good dungeons, can be a bit boring sometimes since it's so straightforward. Because of this the dungeon crawling feels like 2 steps forward, 1 step back from P4. It's not bad enough to bring the game down since everything else is fantastic and keeps you glued and playing for dozens of hours hence why I still really like it, but it's just not as exciting to play as megaten games usually are which is a shame because everything else is just so well done and great. Maybe P5 Crimson will fix this like how SMT4F/A did quite a bit.

Great. That won't change
This is not some hype "Great" , it's a legit great game.

You play kinda slow. At this rate you're going to clock 200+ hours.

Mementos is a way to get persona once a palace is done. You realise that a piece of mementos unlock once you've cleared a palace , right ?
One aspect of the gameplay is to have a place to get back to since the story closes the story palaces.
Also , It's a way to get Xp if you seek more. it's a very easy way to quickly get some money.
It's not supposed to be a challenging zone, it's not designed to be one.
Mementos would have been hell to explore if it was filled with hard ennemies for a story reason later first and second for the fact that the co-op quests and normal quests require you to get there.

If you feel the game's too easy , just bump the difficulty up.

I'm assuming a lot of people here are Japanese experts or they just skipped the text.

I pretty much like walking around talking to people, reading stuff and just sinking my teeth into the game..

Ken

Anybody know if theres a spoiler free guide to this game? I can understand general sense of a convorsation when spoken but when it comes to text I barely know anything...I ordered the 20th collector's edition and should be here sometime in the next few days....so was just wondering is all.

http://www.ggez.space/tag/persona-5-guide/

i used that site for coops.

http://spwiki.net/persona5/index.html

these types of wikis are helpful for items, skills, persona and other stuff. they generally don't go into plot stuff. I guess the main page does have listings of each dungeon and calendar so I guess avoid the left column on the front apge if you dont want to see that? lol

I'm assuming a lot of people here are Japanese experts or they just skipped the text.

I pretty much like walking around talking to people, reading stuff and just sinking my teeth into the game..

Hey it was not a complain , the game's quite full of text , no doubt about that , all those text messages , the fact that most are npc dialog change each month means that you'll read a lot.
Taking your time is ok, what matters is that you enjoy the game at your own pace.

Challenge is downloaded, not unlocked.

Can you tell me what's the difference between hard and challenge ? i'm fine with the normal difficulty as it is so i must admit i've never looked to up the difficulty more

Philippo

I have yet to play this game but I'm already sad that we won't get another Persona game for quite a while.

Well this time they already have a "current" gen ready engine so i guess they can move a bit faster?
Also they've already got HD models for demons, maybe if we're lucky we can get other console SMT in the meanwhile.

Hey it was not a complain , the game's quite full of text , no doubt about that , all those text messages , the fact that most are npc dialog change each month means that you'll read a lot.
Taking your time is ok, what matters is that you enjoy the game at your own pace.
No doubt I'm enjoying it. I know my second Playthrough will be even more enjoyable as my Japanese will have jumped since starting.

Shouta

Can you tell me what's the difference between hard and challenge ? i'm fine with the normal difficulty as it is so i must admit i've never looked to up the difficulty more

It's reduced money and XP only as far as I can tell. It's not a good mode if you're playing through a NG+ but it could be good for a fresh run through the game.

Lunar15

I have yet to play this game but I'm already sad that we won't get another Persona game for quite a while.

It'll be a while, but I hope it's not nearly as long as the gap between 4 and 5, which seemed extended due to the terrible stuff going down with Index.

Dugna

http://www.ggez.space/tag/persona-5-guide/

i used that site for coops.

http://spwiki.net/persona5/index.html

these types of wikis are helpful for items, skills, persona and other stuff. they generally don't go into plot stuff. I guess the main page does have listings of each dungeon and calendar so I guess avoid the left column on the front apge if you dont want to see that? lol

Thanks, Coops was what I was worried about the most considering those are usually not fully voiced.

MSMrRound

which seemed extended due to the terrible stuff going down with Index.

plus the fact that they had to create HD assets for hundreds of demo- I mean...Personas for the first time ever.

The HD-fying turned out great though! Just heading into early September and I still enjoy it when a familiar face appears as the enemy/via fusion or whatsoever.

bwakh

Well this time they already have a "current" gen ready engine so i guess they can move a bit faster?
Also they've already got HD models for demons, maybe if we're lucky we can get other console SMT in the meanwhile.
I'd be down for another console SMT for sure.

It'll be a while, but I hope it's not nearly as long as the gap between 4 and 5, which seemed extended due to the terrible stuff going down with Index.
I hope not. While I can appreciate that a good game will need to take it's time, I just hope they don't try to squeeze a 'Golden' edition between sequels this time. Hopefully it's not needed for P5.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

Well people have to remember they made Catherine within that gap too. I honestly don't expect a P6 for a while though. The dungeons in P5 feel like they must have taken a very good portion of that 5 year dev cycle to make given their size and the amount of unique assets in each of them, and they can't really just recycle them like they can with the shadow models.

bigjig

Aaannnd after a whopping 115 hours I'm finally at the finish line :) Phew, what a game! For me this is head and shoulders above everything else I've played this year for goty, although hopefully FFXV and TLG can give it some stiff competition..

I ended up missing out on maxing about a third of the coops, and only got my kindness, dexterity and courage up to rank 4 (
missed out on Haru's coop because of this
:( ). For a blind playthrough that's not too bad for me though, I was never really good at finding the most efficient way of playing these games.

At first I didn't care much for the soundtrack, but I have to admit it really grew on me in the end. I still think P5 doesn't have as many standout, memorable tracks as P4 but the soundtrack as is really fits in with the themes of the game.

And the theme of the game is really something special. I loved how the phantom thieves theme is kept up throughout the game, especially seeing it's something you don't really see in a lot of games. The more mature and adult approach to some societal issues faced in Japan especially, and how the story is ultimately resolved was absolutely fantastic I thought. I'm surprised at how much the game exceeded my already high expectations.

If I had one complaint about the game it would be the Mementos dungeon. I didn't mind the addition of Mementos itself, and I feel like it definitely adds something to the game, but I found traversing through it a real slog. Sure you can jump back through different sections of Mementos, but I found it kind of tedious to go back through areas you have already been to try and track down mission targets. When it became obvious that I wouldn't be able to get the trophy for clearing all missions I kind of just gave up on them. This leads me to another complaint about Mementos (slight story spoilers)
which is, for what I thought was an optional addition, I didn't really like how you had to complete the Mementos dungeon to get to the final dungeon. It wasn't too bad for me, as I only had two "layers" left to complete, but if you hadn't done any dungeon crawling in there I can imagine having to go through the entire Mementos dungeon to complete the game a massive turnoff. It felt like one of the few design oversights in the game.

Slight misgivings aside though, 9.5/10 game. And that's mostly because I'm extremely hesitant to give games 10/10 in general lol. Took me a massive 115 hours to complete, but honestly felt like 40. Time just flew by.

Anyway, I'm going to take a bit of a break and play other games before picking it up again sometime next year for NG+ and the plat.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really a design oversight if anything more like an imperfect solution(well if you wan to call the sheer possibility that someone entirely skips them until the end a failure). They account for it with your party members constantly nagging you about going to the mementos after you finished the story dungeons + many slinks ending in a state where you have to go anyways.

It's not like Mementos are just here the whole game. They did try to create incentives for people to keep up with it to some extent.

bigjig

It's not really a design oversight if anything more like an imperfect solution(well if you wan to call the sheer possibility that someone entirely skips them until the end a failure). They account for it with your party members constantly nagging you about going to the mementos after you finished the story dungeons + many slinks ending in a state where you have to go anyways.

It's not like Mementos are just here the whole game. They did try to create incentives for people to keep up with it to some extent.

I get that there were reminders and incentives to do Mementos, I just wish it was kept as truly optional side content rather than forcing the player to complete it to progress the story is all.

I get that there were reminders and incentives to do Mementos, I just wish it was kept as truly optional side content rather than forcing the player to complete it to progress the story is all.

Considering that the mementos made sense with the theme of the game , and especially with the plot i don't mind that it wasn't optionnal

Mementos felt too me like a better paced tartarus With much more frequent checkpoints and enough rewards to enhance your life outside of it

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

I mean I was basically only arguing that it isn't "oversight", because that implies that they didn't pay it any design consideration which they absolutely did.
That said I think making Mementos absolutely optional feels like a lazy solution. To be honest it isn't even a real solution in my eyes. It's basically saying we know this isn't that fun so let's leave it to the players if they want to do it or not.

Like I think if Mementos weren't enticing enough then the incentives weren't good enough.

To me the most obvious solution would have been integrating Morgana way more into the Mementos and giving you a story related drive to always push forward.
Like what you get after clearing each section isn't a whole lot. You definitely could have had more meaningful conversation focused on Morgana's storyline without necessarily raising the cost.
Instead of dumping all the related reveals to Morgana at the end. You could have paced that stuff more towards finishing each memento section.

Mr. Hyde

Has anyone beat it on the PS3 yet? If so, how was the performance? I don't game enough to justify a PS4 although I might try to scrounge up a used one if it's not bearable on the last gen system.

Has anyone beat it on the PS3 yet? If so, how was the performance? I don't game enough to justify a PS4 although I might try to scrounge up a used one if it's not bearable on the last gen system.
I have played it on PS3 and haven't encountered any problems. There is only a bit of lag when the game is loading a big area, but none during actual gameplay. Didn't find loading times to be bothering, except the one when first opening up the game from the xmb.

MSMrRound

[Mid-September] I swear Futaba always give me a mini heart attack whenever her
support skills triggers. I usually cross my fingers and hope my PS4 wasn't breaking down or something

By the way....I understand all these alt outfits for the main party members...but does Futaba's extra outfits actually do anything? I mean,
I can see her at the dungeon entrance just fine, but does she actually wear the outfits during buff activation or some other stuff?

September party member spoiler
Just got Haru. Liking her better than what I initially thought. Zorro-looking outfit and her AOA end card still look badass as ever

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
[Mid-September] I swear Futaba always give me a mini heart attack whenever her
support skills triggers. I usually cross my fingers and hope my PS4 wasn't breaking down or something

By the way....I understand all these alt outfits for the main party members...but does Futaba's extra outfits actually do anything? I mean,
I can see her at the dungeon entrance just fine, but does she actually wear the outfits during buff activation or some other stuff?

September party member spoiler
Just got Haru. Liking her better than what I initially thought. Zorro-looking outfit and her AOA end card still look badass as ever

Yeah, Futaba's alternate costumes
are pretty pointless. Her outfit during the mid-battle assistance is always her Tron thief outfit, no matter what costume you have equipped. The only time you can see it is at the dungeon entrance and in safe rooms.
Kinda wish they'd have just had Futaba tag along with the party while you dungeon crawl to be honest.

bwakh

P5 is easily better than both. Putting aside any personal preferences in regards to story content, the writing is significantly better than prior games.

Haven't played P5 but there is something about both games that made me immersed well after the game had ended. P3 had that dark, end of the world vibe going on. Drew me in with that doom and ultimately gave me that
emotional sucker punch
at the end. P4 had that quaint and cosy village feel gradually filled to the brim with murder suspense. My favorite type of thriller.

Is there anything similar to be had with P5? In the sense of atmosphere?

Ken

Haven't played P5 but there is something about both games that made me immersed well after the game had ended. P3 had that dark, end of the world vibe going on. Drew me in with that doom and ultimately gave me that
emotional sucker punch
at the end. P4 had that quaint and cosy village feel gradually filled to the brim with murder suspense. My favorite type of thriller.

Is there anything similar to be had with P5? In the sense of atmosphere?

yeah i think so, though it ramps up pretty quickly in P5 when it does start imo

Dugna

I finally entered the school and can only go up one level and not across the school....I'm super lost.....I thought I just enter the classroom and thats it but nothing is letting me proceed.

EDIT: Found the room finally, I thought I already did the faculty stuff...guess I had to do it again.

Dugna

Anybody here know if the text has been translated fully yet? I don't want like a super guide but just so I can atleast know the gist of what these convos are....I can understand perfectly the voiced parts but when its pure text I get lost...

Anybody here know if the text has been translated fully yet? I don't want like a super guide but just so I can atleast know the gist of what these convos are....I can understand perfectly the voiced parts but when its pure text I get lost...

There is Way too much text in this game.
Have you seen just how many sms conversations there is in this game ?

I'm very sorry but unless you have a way to read the stuff ..... well ..

Jintor

i have to say the sms convos are super smart cos it's like you get all this story/plot stuff but they don't have to generate additional assets and it 100% fits the aesthetic

i have to say the sms convos are super smart cos it's like you get all this story/plot stuff but they don't have to generate additional assets and it 100% fits the aesthetic

it also fits the theme of society now , since we do discuss a lot on our phones by text
It's alos not that lazy since they did create plenty of places for the gang to discuss during the course of the game. Some even used only once !

Dugna

Yusuke, not even that far after he gets his persona and I love his style.....this game doesn't hide the JoJo inspiration anymore.

Just hit 150 hours of gameplay. 11/29

Feel like this last dungeon was longer than it should be... or maybe it's just me that abused the system and got those items that make you recover SP so I could finish a dungeon in just one session.

The music of the dungeon and the fight against the boss was awesome. It's going to be difficult to accept that I won't be able to max all my stats nor I'd be close to complete all my SL either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom