• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluethree

Does Persona 5 do that thing where to get the best ending or significant content you need to be following a guide?

I had to play P4:Golden twice because I saved over my file after getting a non-true ending.

Playing 999 recently highlighted that it's a common feature of older style Japanese games.

Very mild, but spoiler tagging just in case:

There is exactly one conversation where you have to choose the right answers, and the game warns you that it's important beforehand. Keep a separate file just to be safe, but don't worry about it too much.

ReMaKe

This might've been answered before, but I'll post here to get a more recent reply from those who have finished/played persona 5. For someone who has never played a persona game, do you recommend this game? Would I be lost? Interested in getting it; however, don't know if it's necessary to play the other ones to understand what's going on.

m4st4

This might've been answered before, but I'll post here to get a more recent reply from those who have finished/played persona 5. For someone who has never played a persona game, do you recommend this game? Would I be lost? Interested in getting it; however, don't know if it's necessary to play the other ones to understand what's going on.

Different story and characters, you're good to go. Think Final Fantasy.

Ramma2

Sorry if this has been asked before, I am avoiding as much info as I can so I'm not going back through the thread. P5 as good as P4?

Shmuppers

Guys... it's almost here. I'm so excited. Years of waiting; in hindsight is wasn't really that long but it's sure felt like it lol. I look forward to discussing the game ad nauseam with all of you. ughhhhhhhh I need it

So, now that we've gotten trailers for all main/confidant character VA's, I want to get a question off my chest. This is targeted more towards people who have played the game in Japanese or have experience with both the English and Japanese VA of the game.

Background:

I watch anime subbed if possible - unless the English dub is something like Cowboy Bebop or Beck in terms of quality - and enjoy it immensely.
(Several Japanese, Sub-only stories & deliveries in the medium have made me tear up or otherwise impacted me.)
When it comes to games, I usually try to play games with their English Dubs if they're good enough & fit. Examples of this would be: Persona 3, Persona 4, Valkyria Chronicles, Fire Emblem Awakening.

Thing is, when they don't fit, or aren't up to 'snuff' (for lack of a better term), I use the Japanese Dub if available. The most recent game I've done this for is Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. Something about how the lines were recorded (and play) as separate, often disjointed sentences completely damaged the flow, and playing in Japanese remedied this.

At the same time, however, I can't say I was that impacted or wowed by any specific lines or segments of the story. I'm unsure if this comes down to it being a Vanillaware title (as those have never really having gripped me with their stories) or if it says something about my perception of the story changing due to the language 'barrier.'

Question:

Would you recommend playing Persona 5 in English or Japanese?

In English, I get the raw - if stilted & possibly stiffly written/delivered - experience in my own language, while in Japanese, I get the star studded cast & their high quality delivery, but possibly at the cost of the text not matching up, or other changes that may impact my enjoyment of it.

I don't doubt that many others are in the same boat as me, and are slightly disappointed with the quality of the English Dub, so hopefully this helps them too.​

bluethree

If you know some Japanese - the voice acting is some of the best I've heard in a game in either language. The English VA for this game so far isn't leaving me that impressed and some of the characters sound off - though that's probably because I'm so used to the Japanese version.

Seriously though, the VA in this game really nail the emotional moments so well (especially Futaba - her voice acting is a big reason why I like the character so much).

I'm assuming the US version will give you the option to switch between anytime though.

kadotsu

Banned
I have a question for those that have played the game a fair bit: How is the enemy/mob variety? I only ask this because in the few previews I've seen there were always Personas accompanying the regular enemies. This from my uninformed pow looks like Atlus reusing assets because they didn't create enough non-Persona enemy types. Are there more than P3/P4 or about the same or less?

I have a question for those that have played the game a fair bit: How is the enemy/mob variety? I only ask this because in the few previews I've seen there were always Personas accompanying the regular enemies. This from my uninformed pow looks like Atlus reusing assets because they didn't create enough non-Persona enemy types. Are there more than P3/P4 or about the same or less?

It's virtually the same thing

But they ALL have updated designs. If the design is similar they certainly have updated animations
The ennemy variety is like P4. There are enough things to not feel bored , IMO. All the dongeons have a moments where the ennemy variety will change ( 3 times per dongeon at least ) and that's it .

So the question is English script with Japanese VA or English script with English VA?

Essentially, yes.

With the former, I may pick up on inconsistencies here & there where what they're saying doesn't match up with the localized text. (I don't 'know' Japanese, but I have picked up on words & sentences here & there from watching subbed anime.)

With the latter,
I will probably (just based off the current trailers) be let down by the English VA performances.

Knowing this, what would you recommend?

Dantis

There are pretty much only Persona as enemies, besides boss fights. Shadows are gone.

It actually gives a lot more variety, because there are a lot of Persona.

Gu4n

Essentially, yes.

With the former, I may pick up on inconsistencies here & there where what they're saying doesn't match up with the localized text. (I don't 'know' Japanese, but I have picked up on words & sentences here & there from watching subbed anime.)

With the latter,
I will probably (just based off the current trailers) be let down by the English VA performances.

The answer to your question is already in your post; you're worried about being "let down by the English VA performances" , so I'd recommend going with the Japanese VA. If you watch anime subbed, you're familiar WITH Japanese VA while reading English text anyway.

Okay so I'm about 100 hours in and I'm at the 5th dungeon(just fought the first mini boss).

I'm about level 35 and the gang lower or equal. Is it just me or is the game kinda easy? I feel like I'm getting towards the middle of the game at least and I'm only at that level. Is this normal,

evilsin

Goodness gracious, the wait is almost over! I've had the Take Your Heart edition pre-order since November, when it became available here. It's funny that I want that bag almost as much as the game itself.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Any big differences between the base and Pro version of P5?

Can't wait to play this tomorrow

xD

Essentially, yes.

With the latter,

Personally the dub this time doesn't feel as good as P3 or P4. The Japanese voices are amazing, the cast itself has a lot of experience and without exaggerating I'd say it has the best VA I've seen in a game in years.

Actually there are both Shadows and Personas in the game, if you pay attention to the trailers you can actually recognize them. Saying more than that would be a spoiler.

Kid Marin

From Grégoire Hellot, french interpreter for Miyamoto (etc.) and game critic from the early 90's:

Joué à #Persona5 en euro cet aprèm, trad anglaise validée, à part un sempaï qui traîne on est clairement face à un texte fidèle et inventif
https://twitter.com/Goldengreg/status/831212955836542976

"Played to the euro version of Persona 5 this afternoon, english translation is legit, besides a sempaï or two this is clearly a faithful and inventive adaptation"

Okay so I'm about 100 hours in and I'm at the 5th dungeon(just fought the first mini boss).

I'm about level 35 and the gang lower or equal. Is it just me or is the game kinda easy? I feel like I'm getting towards the middle of the game at least and I'm only at that level. Is this normal,
The 5th dongeon should be a cakewalk , there is nothing in it that would cause a game over aside from carelessness. You're a little underleveled but it's not a problem.
Just follow the route.
The dongeons afterwards will be a little more nasty , but if you've found your groove , the difficulty curve will go down.

Is it a spoiler to wonder when beneath the mask song gets lyrics in game? When I played the JP version it was instrumental while i played.
It happens failry quickly after a couple of events.
When your uncle began to trust you more and you're able to go out at night, the lyrics should be there

Now that this thread is bumped... any impressions of Boost Mode???

Gonna get a pro next month , but i'm not holding my breath. The game ran spotlessly in Base PS4 mode since it's a boosted PS3 game already.
There is nothing that kill the framerate during gameplay , the only enhancement i can think of would be the loading times but they are no less than 5 secs already.
Boost mode won't do much with P5

The 5th dongeon should be a cakewalk , there is nothing in it that would cause a game over aside from carelessness. You're a little underleveled but it's not a problem.
Just follow the route.
The dongeons afterwards will be a little more nasty , but if you've found your groove , the difficulty curve will go down.

Yeah it's not hard or anything I was just wondering basically do you even get to very high levels during a normal playthrough liike say LVL 85 or somethign?? Because it feels like the game could end with me being at frigging lvl 45 or something lol. I feel like the game is kind of easy at times. I'm at the start of Dungeon 5 and the main character is LVL 36 and the others 33~35.

Any big differences between the base and Pro version of P5?

There's no pro mode on this. On the Pro using boost mode no changes. The game runs smooth anyway during gameplay anyway. I wish there was a 4K pro mode patch or 60fps patch or something.

bluethree

xD

Personally the dub this time doesn't feel as good as P3 or P4. The Japanese voices are amazing, the cast itself has a lot of experience and without exaggerating I'd say it has the best VA I've seen in a game in years.

No joke, the voice acting in the Japanese version is some of the best I've heard in either language.

jrush64

Banned
Can't wait to play this tomorrow

Me too.

lKZQbLA.png

heringer

Sooo, I kind of got bored with P4G around 15 hours in. I thought the gameplay was really boring and the story is very slow, even though I love the presentation (aesthetics and music). Any chance I might enjoy P5? I've heard it's more focused, so maybe?

Dantis

Sooo, I kind of got bored with P4G around 15 hours in. I thought the gameplay was really boring and the story is very slow, even though I love the presentation (aesthetics and music). Any chance I might enjoy P5? I've heard it's more focused, so maybe?
By far the biggest difference is the huuuugely improved dungeons.
The story is still really slow though. The opening section is actually even longer than P4.

Ken

the dungeons alone should help keep you engaged more imo

Well u should play P4G more. 15 hours isn't really much. P5 though being vastly improved, still has the same structure of the past Persona games like the daily life/dungeon stuff.

No way I'll beat Mass Effect before release but I want to avoid spoilers and play ASAP.

Yeah, going to be hard avoiding Persona spoilers, but I want to focus on Mass Effect first.

And Ill probably play through Persona 5 with a max social link guide, because Ill probably wont have the time to play through it twice.

Xypher

And the story is always interesting? It never feels like it's dragging to much?

It keeps you engaged in a different way than Persona 4, while Persona 4 was very dependant on its characters, and the main story taking a backseat behind its characters quite often, P5 is more focused on its main story, and highlighting its characters through the main story. It's going to be hard to explain this in more detail without stepping into spoiler territory, though. Overall it is far more varied of a main story than P4s murder mystery which is used to pull you through the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom