• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

For myself.

The last day of free time is 1/30 in Persona 3 Fes, pretty sure. They may give you something for the day of the 31st, but I doubt it.

One thing I'm curious about in terms of the trailer was the MC seemingly turning into a Persona at the end of the trailer. It's a neat concept if it's true, but I really wonder how it would even work in a battle. Full change animation every time a party member uses a spell in combat(doubtful)? Partial change just to use a quick spell? Maybe the MC will be able to have a system like Persona Q with "sub-personas" where he can change the spells he has access to on the fly? Hell, maybe all of them can do this, while their "Main" persona is never able to change, and can be turned into in combat for a power boost a la Orgia mode?

...is it Tuesday yet? :p

Dunkley

Spoilers ahead obviously-
  • Time spent: ~118 hours
  • Date in game: Jan 8, 2009
  • Levels of Tartarus explored: 228
  • Fate: Awaiting the arrival Nyx

Query: Without spoiling anything substantial is it possible for anyone to inform me whether the game ends after January 31st?

Reason for query: Companionship management for maximizing S.Link and get their ultimate Personas.

It's not like in Persona 4 where you get a game over if you miss the deadline, you will just go automatically on the date and will be locked into Tartarus until you finish the game.

Fan art from a JP fan, holy shit.

epECXzM.jpg

Source:
https://twitter.com/urup_zzz/status/564110824063528960

Damn! That's magnificent!

Drop

Feel free!
Thank you.

The last day of free time is 1/30 in Persona 3 Fes, pretty sure. They may give you something for the day of the 31st, but I doubt it.

One thing I'm curious about in terms of the trailer was the MC seemingly turning into a Persona at the end of the trailer. It's a neat concept if it's true, but I really wonder how it would even work in a battle. Full change animation every time a party member uses a spell in combat(doubtful)? Partial change just to use a quick spell? Maybe the MC will be able to have a system like Persona Q with "sub-personas" where he can change the spells he has access to on the fly? Hell, maybe all of them can do this, while their "Main" persona is never able to change, and can be turned into in combat for a power boost a la Orgia mode?

...is it Tuesday yet? :p

I think the mc turning into a persona is him becoming the phantom thief. If that's true than when he is in battle it would have happened already, but I don't know how persona summoning for the purpose of using skills would work if my theory is true.

i-Lo

It's not like in Persona 4 where you get a game over if you miss the deadline, you will just go automatically on the date and will be locked into Tartarus until you finish the game.

Indeed. However, the S.Link depends on number of "days" I spend at school and other places unlike the player dependent time spent in Tartarus during dark hour.

So, there I take it there is no way to max all S. Links...

I had the same thought as well; inhabitance of Persona within the character. That said, we don't know if it's only for MC or not and subsequently what kinds of limits are exposed on that. After having watched Devil Survivor 2 Anime, human bodies (perhaps not all) can sustain such body swapping evoking without damage. Again, it depends on whether they will be keeping these aspects consistent throughout all mediums.

Dunkley

So, there I take it there is no way to max all S. Links...

There is, it's just that Persona 3 barely leaves any wiggling room if you want to max every social link, so it's hard to pull off unless you are playing with a guide that tells you how to spend your free time each day.

It is a requirement for fusing Orpheus Telos though.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

I can't fault you for not scouring through 137 pages, but it's been brought up that the SMT: Digital Devil Saga duology already had your party turn into demons instead of just summoning them alongside. In that game, you had a human form in which you could fight with guns (I don't remember melee weapons) and you had a demon form which you can transform into at the cost of one turn. Although battles usually start with the party already in demon form. When you're a demon you could use regular demon skills like Agi and such, and when you were a human you could use your gun with bullets specialized to a certain attack type/status effect.

If you can spare the time you should check those games out. They're pretty cool and available as a PS2 classic on PSN for 9.99$ each (iirc.)

THEaaron

Didnt have the time to catch up with this thread, but it looks like they are planning to invade a place at about http://youtu.be/wPqSkzNNPIg?t=1m17s

Maybe it is a major point of the gameplay and you're actually about to invade some places in the game. I'm sure you guys already noticed but that is something that got me thinking.

Meia

There is, it's just that Persona 3 barely leaves any wiggling room if you want to max every social link, so it's hard to pull off unless you are playing with a guide that tells you how to spend your free time each day.

Yep, there is a guide out there for it.

Understand, the guide will tell you what to say on any question effecting social links/increase a social stat(this includes exactly what to say in every social link meeting), as well as tell you exactly what you have to do every single block of time you're able to decide to do something(Including finishing whole blocks of Tartarus in one visit). By following this guide to the letter in this fashion, you will have maybe 2 or 3 days of leeway if something gets screwy somewhere(you forgot to have a matching persona on a social link visit, etc). That's how tight the time management is if that's your goal.

Of course, on a Game + one of the things that carries over is your social stats, which when maxed will free up probably a month worth of time. It's why most people say to only do a max link playthrough on a game +.

I can't fault you for not scouring through 137 pages, but it's been brought up that the SMT: Digital Devil Saga duology already had your party turn into demons instead of just summoning them alongside. In that game, you had a human form in which you could fight with guns (I don't remember melee weapons) and you had a demon form which you can transform into at the cost of one turn. Although battles usually start with the party already in demon form. When you're a demon you could use regular demon skills like Agi and such, and when you were a human you could use your gun with bullets specialized to a certain attack type/status effect.

If you can spare the time you should check those games out. They're pretty cool and available as a PS2 classic on PSN for 9.99$ each (iirc.)

This isn't that series though, it's Persona. Some degree of getting new Personas and using them in combat is going to be part of this, as it's always been. Removing that aspect would be the most drastic change they've ever done in the series, which is saying *quite* a lot. :p

DDS is on my backlog since I do actually own them and never played them. Nocturne kind of turned me off on the idea a bit, but I may actually be able to get through DDS if it has actual characters in it.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't that series though, it's Persona. Some degree of getting new Personas and using them in combat is going to be part of this, as it's always been. Removing that aspect would be the most drastic change they've ever done in the series, which is saying *quite* a lot. :p

Yeah, I was talking mainly about the battle system, though. I should've specified. I don't see how the same system wouldn't be applicable with multiple Personas. It's shapeshifting either way.

Also, they could just go the easy route, keep the old system and have a transformation animation about as quick as the headshots in P3 or the card crushing in P4. Basically have your character burst into his Persona, which would look pretty cool. But I guess there's a reason they haven't shown Personas in battle and made it a point to have that ambiguous scene at the end of the trailer, so they might have changed a lot in P5.

shiyrley

Banned
You guessed right. Although you may never know regarding a PC version (even though that's very unlikely to happen)
Although it might be a long while until, given that Persona 4 Arena and Arena 2 released on the Xbox, I could not see why there wouldn't be at least an Xbox One release. Wouldn't count on it ever coming to 360 or PC, however.
You will be waiting for a loooooooong time, most likely forever :p

PC, kind of, you'll be playing it as soon as those internet code wizards manage to program a PS3 emulator lol

Xbox, never.
Probably never lol.
Atlus doesn't really release their games on PC, and Xbox 360 couldn't be more dead in japan. I'd say no.
I'm sad. I own a gaming PC and a Wii U (and 3DS, I had a Vita but I sold it) for the current gen, and I just happen to have a Xbox 360 lying around collecting dust. I plan on getting a PS4 someday.

But, you know, someday :(

I'm currently playing Persona 3 FES. PCSX2 is love and life.

DMiz

Yeah, I was talking mainly about the battle system, though. I should've specified. I don't see how the same system wouldn't be applicable with multiple Personas. It's shapeshifting either way.

Also, they could just go the easy route, keep the old system and have a transformation animation about as quick as the headshots in P3 or the card crushing in P4. Basically have your character burst into his Persona, which would look pretty cool. But I guess there's a reason they haven't shown Personas in battle and made it a point to have that ambiguous scene at the end of the trailer, so they might have changed a lot in P5.

I guess the trade-off for that is that it would be a bit disappointing to see the protagonist transform into the other generic personas as a result of having the Wild Card ability.

A minor visual complaint, I realize. But there's a rather big difference between seeing the Persona floating behind the protagonist and the protagonist morphing into the persona in question.

Dunkley

DDS is on my backlog since I do actually own them and never played them. Nocturne kind of turned me off on the idea a bit, but I may actually be able to get through DDS if it has actual characters in it.

Well, the Digital Devil Saga approach doesn't speak against it though as characters could just morph between their Persona (or Personas for the protag as he's the only one we've seen in the Velvet Room) and themselves.

Given though that I think Persona 5 is going to base itself on the One More system, I think unlike DDS your weaknesses wouldn't change depending on which form you are in and nor would morphing use a turn.

If they would do it it like that this time around, it would most likely just be an automatic switch that happens depending on what action you are using. Physical attacks and all-outs morph back into normal form, using Persona skills morphs them into their Persona form.

i-Lo

Yep, there is a guide out there for it.

Understand, the guide will tell you what to say on any question effecting social links/increase a social stat(this includes exactly what to say in every social link meeting), as well as tell you exactly what you have to do every single block of time you're able to decide to do something(Including finishing whole blocks of Tartarus in one visit). By following this guide to the letter in this fashion, you will have maybe 2 or 3 days of leeway if something gets screwy somewhere(you forgot to have a matching persona on a social link visit, etc). That's how tight the time management is if that's your goal.

Of course, on a Game + one of the things that carries over is your social stats, which when maxed will free up probably a month worth of time. It's why most people say to only do a max link playthrough on a game +.

Thanks folks.

As much I am loving playing P3F, I don't think I will be able to pour as much into it to do a Game+ justice. Too many games in the backlog (including PS2, PS3, PS4 and PC titles). Plus, much like you Meia, I do have the DDS 1 & 2 as well as Nocturne to go through.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I guess the trade-off for that is that it would be a bit disappointing to see the protagonist transform into the other generic personas as a result of having the Wild Card ability.

A minor visual complaint, I realize. But there's a rather big difference between seeing the Persona floating behind the protagonist and the protagonist morphing into the persona in question.

Yeah, that's actually a good point I haven't considered. The demon designs in DDS were tied to the character so they still felt "cool" in that sense.

Maybe we're being fooled though. After all, in Persona 2 the personas emerge from a glowing beam of light around the summoner, rise above their owners and cast their spells. So maybe Personas just come out of that aura we see in the trailer with the character retaining his regular form afterwards? But then again we do see the MC kinda shapeshifting into a blurry shadow in the sneaking section, though that might just be a stylistic choice to display speed. Or the guy at the end is just the shadow of the MC since he's got the yellow eye thing going.

It's all a mystery!

Edit:
Given though that I think Persona 5 is going to base itself on the One More system, I think unlike DDS your weaknesses wouldn't change depending on which form you are in and nor would morphing use a turn.

DDS had the regular Press Turn system that debuted in Nocturne. To alter your demon form's weaknesses you equipped passive skills like "Resist fire" which made a demon that's weak to fire into one that's neutral to fire.

Dunkley

DDS had the regular Press Turn system that debuted in Nocturne. To alter your demon form's weaknesses you equipped passive skills like "Resist fire" which made a demon that's weak to fire into one that's neutral to fire.

I see, I just meant however how elemental weaknesses would be invalid in human form, like Serph not being weak to Fire if he is currently changed to being a human, or the general nullification of Expel skills. I would doubt something like that would be in Persona 5, as I suspect if they did morphing to Personas, it would be more likely just a cosmetic effect as it's their way of summoning rather than a new Gameplay element.

It's all a mystery!

468px-Let's_Investigate.jpg

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I see, I just meant however how elemental weaknesses would be invalid in human form, like Serph not being weak to Fire if he is currently changed to being a human, or the general nullification of Expel skills. I would doubt something like that would be in Persona 5, as I suspect if they did morphing to Personas, it would be more likely just a cosmetic effect as it's their way of summoning rather than a new Gameplay element.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/shin-megami-tensei-persona-4-golden/thumb/d/de/Let's_Investigate.jpg/468px-Let's_Investigate.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm leaning towards your theory now too. Having the characters turn into their personas cosmetically would fit the theme of wearing a mask (literally a [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona"]persona[/URL]) and there's little reason to deviate this much from the successful and cool battle system we've previously had. What remains to be seen is how fighting demons instead of shadows will affect the gameplay.

Also, lol at that image.

arue

This is really damn good.

But I'll be honest. The girls face looks off, which kinda sticks out because the rest of them look absolutely perfect.
I know, I was wondering what could be changed, but I think it's because her eyes are not raised enough. Maybe I'll fix it today.

aravuus

Hell yeah, playing all the good old games in high definition and AF and whatnot is so good. Especially the more slower paced JRPGs, I tend to play those with 20-50% fast forward on all the time, makes them so much smoother and more responsive. Of course it fucks with the audio a bit but good songs sound good even if they're played at a bit faster speed.

So in persona 5 for answer he will turn into an abusive alcoholic?

S2 never existed okay

I'm sad. I own a gaming PC and a Wii U (and 3DS, I had a Vita but I sold it) for the current gen, and I just happen to have a Xbox 360 lying around collecting dust. I plan on getting a PS4 someday.

But, you know, someday :(

Well then, problem solved.

I don't care how much cartoon you splice into the trailer. It still looks like a PS2 game.

That said, I tried Persona 3 w/ Japanese dub, and thought it was pretty cool, so I'm sure this will be fun.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
What are you talking about? I'm Finnish, I want a half Finnish character!

Nah. I want Atlus to make complete, well developed characters and not just half finnish them.

(...Sorry.)

I don't care how much cartoon you splice into the trailer. It still looks like a PS2 game.

That said, I tried Persona 3 w/ Japanese dub, and thought it was pretty cool, so I'm sure this will be fun.

Did Catherine look like a PS2 game to you?

Lusankya

I see some people in this thread expecting very drastic changes, but it will still be a Persona game and will be much closer to P3 and P4 than to any other MegaTen game.

Right from the interviews with Hashino:

As previously reported, the game will take place in the series’ usual juvenile school setting, but with a different mood; however, Atlus emphasizes that although Persona 5 will have a different mood, they aim to make it into a new game that will still provide a feeling of reassurance to the fans of the series.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/26/persona-5s-characters-will-restrained-modern-society/

Regarding what kind of game Persona 5 will be when it is released, Hashino says that people that have played Persona 3 and Persona 4 should “feel right at home” with Persona 5.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/05/persona-5-aimed-people-discontent-lives/

i-Lo

Did they mention any differences so far? Has the PS4 version any perks? 1080p vs 720p or something?

I'd say these ought to be the following:

• 1080p resolution
  • Better AA
  • Better textures
  • Shorter loading times

I do not think 60fps would be included given how irrelevant it is to this type of game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

This game looks nothing like a PS2 game. This is around Catherine tier, which is still 7th gen. To be fair, Nocturne's character models and graphics were ahead of their time, but it seems Japanese devs went backward on that front.

Did they mention any differences so far? Has the PS4 version any perks? 1080p vs 720p or something?

? Obviously it'll be 1080p. Nothing else so far. Its probably a straight port because of the install base on PS4, but maybe they'll up the framerate just cause, and the IQ's gonna be a lot better by default. Load times improved most likely. I could not bear installing anything on my PS3's HDD anymore cause its too crowded.

FluxWaveZ

It's a Persona game, that's borderline impossible.

Persona 2 was all about this. One of the coolest moments in a Persona game is when this happened in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and
everyone went their separate ways in order to reach their goals in their own way, half-way through the game.

What PS2 game looks like Persona 5?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Okay we dont wanna go down this path...many PS2 games still hold up today. The guy is saying the game looks very bad, which is obviously just hyperbolic nonsense

Nimby

Banned

Yeah, okay. It looks like a PS3 game because it IS a PS3 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom