• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jisgsaw

The random system also discourages experimentation. Players should be able to come up with different persona and ability combinations and not have to wait 10 or more minutes before they can get the results they want.

But it encourages diversity. You'll often end up with at least one skill you'd usually not have taken. In SMT IV, all your demons end up pretty much the same, depending on their role.

Drop

Oh but I absolutely agree; I was just pointing out the strong points of the system vs the free skill choice.
IMO, they could also simply limit the number of inheritable skills (like two skills max maybe), but make them a free choice. As I said in my other posts, the main problem I have with the free skill choice of SMT4/P4G is that they give you access to far too many good skills, that you really don't need on one single persona/demon.
Revamping the difficulty of mobs/bosses would also do it, but I don't think we'll see that.

Yeah, they should probably just add meaningful limitations.
They could add conflict among skills, for example not allowing a persona to have both an agi skill and a bufu skill, reduce the poll of inheritable skill for each persona, or just make them more specific.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
But it encourages diversity. You'll often end up with at least one skill you'd usually not have taken. In SMT IV, all your demons end up pretty much the same, depending on their role.

Did you see this? It had an unfortunate spot on the last page and I'm still interested in your views on it.

Also, since I kinda keep going back to Digital Devil Saga because characters might turn into their Personas this time around: What do you think of that game's Mantra system? Where each character as a Mantra he's currently mastering which grants him certain skills. Much like the Magatamas in Nocturne, only that you had a set of 8 (?) active skills you can use in battle and a pool of all the skills you obtained through Mantras. Instead of fusing a new Persona, you could reassign skills between battles and, for instance, change your stregnths/weaknesses by assigning passive skills like resist fire. I kinda liked that system due to how dynamic it is and enjoyed the basic statisfaction of levelling through a skill tree.

zeromcd73

Can we actually expect P5 coming to the Vita at some point?
I doubt it. By the time they would have in the future, it will be 2016/17 and retail stores in the west in all likely hood will have got rid of their Vita sections (most have now).

Maybe the nintendo next gen handheld system, but even then I doubt that too.

Jisgsaw

Also, since I kinda keep going back to Digital Devil Saga because characters might turn into their Personas this time around: What do you think of that game's Mantra system? Where each character as a Mantra he's currently mastering which grants him certain skills. Much like the Magatamas in Nocturne, only that you had a set of 8 (?) active skills you can use in battle and a pool of all the skills you obtained through Mantras. Instead of fusing a new Persona, you could reassign skills between battles and, for instance, change your stregnths/weaknesses by assigning passive skills like resist fire. I kinda liked that system due to how dynamic it is and enjoyed the basic statisfaction of

I rather liked it (well, I really liked it actually). Mainly because the one huge weakness of the Magatama system was that once a skill is forgotten, you could never learn it again.
But if you bring in a skill pool for all personas, there should be some limitations, again. Also not sure it'll work, how do the Personas differ from one another? It worked well in DDS because you had fixed characters.

NeonZ

I agree. Random inheritance isn't perfect, and it encourages the exceedingly unfun re-rolling, but full control feels like cheating. There has to be a smart, engaging middle ground.

They could just give each Persona/Demon a specific move list of abilities that they can learn/inherit. Some of the games with random inheritance actually had that to a point too. I don't get why Atlus seems to act like full controls means (almost) no limits to inheritance.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I rather liked it (well, I really liked it actually). Mainly because the one huge weakness of the Magatama system was that once a skill is forgotten, you could never learn it again.
But if you bring in a skill pool for all personas, there should be some limitations, again. Also not sure it'll work, how do the Personas differ from one another? It worked well in DDS because you had fixed characters.

Yeah, having multiple Personas is what would ruin that system. And I'm not sure I would want them to sacrifice multiple Personas just to basically have a verbatim copy of the DDS system. Still, making parts of your skill pool centered around the character, rather than the Persona, seems like an interesting idea. Not sure to what extent Persona skills would be moved to the owner. A reasonable way would be to move skills using the owner's weapon to the owner instead of the Persona. But I dunno, I'm just riffin'.

PaulloDEC

Had some time this afternoon so I did a few cut-out jobs on trailer stills:

iNKqplNTiQ6CP.png

Wish there'd been some better shots of Anne.

The only limits it needs is to not allow changing the base persona skills and only have full inheritance slots for triple or higher fusions. If you get 2 to 4 skill slots from a regular fusion and higher for triple and special fusion, you'll be able to get the skills you need quickly but not all of the good ones that the personas you're fusing may have so you'd still need to make some tough decisions.
I think Persona Q had a really good fusion system, barring the irritating fact that some skills absolutely cannot be inherited, and there's no indication of which they are, and that the available pool of personas is very lacking.

While I wouldn't mind too much having to deal with random inheritances again, I think the system is outdated, and it doesn't make things any harder or more strategic, since the strategic part in my opinion lies more in figuring out the fusion chain to get all the skills you want on your persona, and that part remain even if you remove the requirement of "press X and O" untill you're satisfied with what you see.
I kind of miss planning those fusion chains. "Ok, to defeat the boss I'll need a persona that blocks wind and can cast Agi. My target persona is a level 56 Fortune. So to create that I'll need a this and a that. But neither of them have Agi, so I'll first make a..."
Then again, having SMTIV's SQL searches again is really convenient too lol.

This has kinda become the Persona 5 Hype/Community thread. Don't think it'll die any time soon lol.

EDIT: woops, 137 pages now.

Well, this thread will probably slow down once threads on Famitsu articles and interviews of Persona 5 details pop up. But at the same time, we'd probably won't get any new trailers until the Persona 4 DAN releases and we get rips of the P5 BD Special.

i-Lo

Spoilers ahead obviously-
  • Time spent: ~118 hours
  • Date in game: Jan 8, 2009
  • Levels of Tartarus explored: 228
  • Fate: Awaiting the arrival Nyx

Query: Without spoiling anything substantial is it possible for anyone to inform me whether the game ends after January 31st?

Reason for query: Companionship management for maximizing S.Link and get their ultimate Personas.

Steel

Banned
Reason for query: Companionship management for maximizing S.Link and get their ultimate Personas.

Umm, yeah, you don't need to max their S.links for them to get their ultimate personas. They'll get them automatically in Persona 3. It's not like 4 where you have to work out all of your companion's emotional issues for them. Or are you talking about getting the ultimate personas from their arcanas for yourself?

Shengar

SMT IV and P4G were such failures on the challenge point exactly because of this point: you could have one persona/demon with no weakness having access to the most powerfull magical spells, and one for the physical skills.
The goal of the press turn was to have you get a balanced party, with a variety of personas/demons covering different situations, not a couple one that could handle everything.
Oh yes, SMT IV and P4G fusion system lets you create the you create the ultimate demon or persona respectively. But only when you have that much to create it. If you don't grind, ultimate persona or demon without weakness and superb skills aren't even feasible. The cost of creating this ultimate persona or demon is ridiculously high that you have to grind for hours, and even then if you want to tackle post-game bosses this persona or demon aren't usable since post game bosses
(like the Fiend in SMT IV) have certain condition that make them trigger Megidolaon Spam mode.

I'm not denying that free skill inheritance isn't broken even with such ridiculous paywall. It's just like you said, makes the demon and persona feels less diverse, as once in my playthrough of SMT IV I stopped for a moment and think "what is the difference between these demons? They have the same skill, only their face is different." It kinda kill the fun of collecting the demon for me. But back to RNG hell isn't the right way either. Fusion is one of gameplay mechanics that Atlus need to address for both Persona and SMT games.

pixxxelz

Umm, yeah, you don't need to max their S.links for them to get their ultimate personas. They'll get them automatically in Persona 3. It's not like 4 where you have to work out all of your companion's emotional issues for them. Or are you talking about getting the ultimate personas from their arcanas for yourself?
This^ also the game doesn't end on January 31 but you can't do any more social links after that

i-Lo

For myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom