• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 PS4/PS3 comparison screens

THey look more or less the same, but then who actually expected significant visual differences outside of higher resolution and better anti-aliasing. This isn't a game that's pushing hardware, and I doubt Atlus could do much more with the visuals. Already looked stunning on PS3. 60fps though...yum.

Z..

The English translation & dubbing takes time, I'd assume. It was either that or pull a BlazBlue: Central Fiction & don't dub it at all just to get the game out sooner in the West.

Thanks once again.

This shit really needs to die.

GeNoMe

Never played a Persona game in my life. Yet I have pre ordered the limited (bag) edition of this game. And I'm pretty excited to play this one. Am I weird?

lupinko

Eh I don't know how much sooner P5 would come out in NA without an English dub.

Unlike Blazblue (and regardless of its visual novel story mode), fighting games are a lot easier to localize and translate. In fact, they are so easy to localize that many Japanese fighting games even if only released in Japan have the games completely translated in English! Which is amusing because that doesn't help the average Japanese gamer who slept through English class in junior high.

RPGs have a ton of localization and translation, with this same logic, a game like Yakuza could be translated and localized very quickly because Sega didn't bother to dub it.

Also for Persona 5, it was mentioned by Atlus USA that they were not directly involved during development, and they pretty much start the localization work after the game is pretty much done.

This is not a Squeenix scenario where they take into account foreign markets and do the localization during the course of active development.

Ok, I've never played Persona, but I've kinda been intrigued about the game for a while. It just oozes style. Do you think it'd be enjoyable to someone with no experience with past Persona games?

robotrock

Banned
60fps yessssss
Ok, I've never played Persona, but I've kinda been intrigued about the game for a while. It just oozes style. Do you think it'd be enjoyable to someone with no experience with past Persona games?
Yeah it'll probably be awesome still. I recommend you check out Persona 3 and 4 because they are great, but you shouldn't need to play them before this.

I mean you can jump into any game of the series and enjoy them, particularly p3 through p5. All you'd be missing from going to p5 is that p3 and p4g are fantastic too and that you might not recognize recurring characters (like 1 of them lol) . Outside of that it's fair game

60fps yessssss

Yeah it'll probably be awesome still. I recommend you check out Persona 3 and 4 because they are great, but you shouldn't need to play them before this.

I mean you can jump into any game of the series and enjoy them, particularly p3 through p5. All you'd be missing from going to p5 is that p3 and p4g are fantastic too and that you might not recognize recurring characters (like 1 of them lol) . Outside of that it's fair game

Thanks, I'll look into Persona 4 Golden. I don't own a Vita, but I do own a PlayStation TV. Maybe it's finally time to put it to use. :]

The screenshots make sense. The game was made for PS3 initially so the graphic jump to ps4 was never going to be drastic but the 60fps is nice to see. Guess I'm leaving gaf next week because spoilers will be thrown around and i would rather avoid it.

Sorry but the art style is ghastly and too busy for my liking...especially in that image with them on the stairs and all those lights in the background *rubs eyes*

I think it's the colour palette I most dislike.

I don't see a huge difference between the versions.

Anyway bring on 2017, P3/4 are still some of the best JRPG's I have ever played! Hope this is as good regardless of the dev hell it went through.

Zweisy1

Looks pretty much the same. Doesn't seem like they've really taken advantage of the extra power of PS4 AT ALL, which is a bit lazy..

That said, Im excited for the game itself. Loved 3 & 4..

JP

Are they running at different resolutions too? The PS3 version looks fine but it is a lot softer than the PS4 version.

We need PS4 Pro screenshots now!

But yeah, image looks so much more cleaner and the graphical fidelity isn't that different showing they prioritised a higher framerate...which I'm fine with.

Bl@de

1080p/60fps Persona 5 on my Birthday?

Is this real life?

EDIT: Nope ... just fantasy. Gameplay videos are 1080/60 on YouTube but you can clearly notice it's 30fps :(
60fps for PS4 Pro

mrmickfran

Any indication of Pro features?
That makes me wonder.

Sony did say that PS4 titles releasing from October on needs to have some sort of Neo upgrade. But this releases in September first with the rest of the world much later.

Ehh, I'm pretty sure this would be a good exception.

magawolaz

YouTube videos look 30fps native re-encoded at 60fps.

So every unique frame is followed by a copy:

z7ePuFV.gif

They probably did this to have a higher bitrate video.

J-Skee

Never played a Persona game in my life. Yet I have pre ordered the limited (bag) edition of this game. And I'm pretty excited to play this one. Am I weird?

Me too, my friend. I can't deny how good this looks. I keep debating whether I should play Persona 4 Golden though. I have it for my PSTV, just never sat down to play it.

dan2026

It's really dumb if they waited until the game was complete before they started localising it.

Just why are they so slow?

kAmui-

Both versions will be 100% identical contentwise, right? Really want to play this but I'm not going to get a ps4 just for this one game.

convo

It's really dumb if they waited until the game was complete before they started localising it.

Perhaps they are not big enough to develop both english and japanese version concurrently? I won't overestimate their resources if they can't manage europe on their own.
With every Persona/demon having some conversation options with unique voiced lines from each one of them i would imagine it has so much more voice work that needs to be done.

Shahed

I wonder how the Pro requirements work for localisations/staggered releases? With P5's japanese release they won't have to have Pro version. However by the time it comes out in the rest of the world it will be well after the point in time where a Pro version is mandatory.

mrmickfran

Atlus US is a small company and they got like 5 games to localize at once (including 2 JRPGs with a noticeable amount of text).

Put the blame on Nintendo/SEGA >:

Top Bottom