• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 ships over 1.5 million copies worldwide

Lynx_7

This. Like holy shit I don't think I can handle another 8 month gap between the Japan and west anymore.

"For Persona 6, due to some complaints regarding the quality of P5's localization, we'll be going for a full year between Japanese and English releases in order to assure the highest quality product possible. Please be excited.

P.S.: Still no European translations though *shrug*"

This. Like holy shit I don't think I can handle another 8 month gap between the Japan and west anymore. Also I find it funny that Persona is a spinoff that gets spinoffs.
Tell me about it. SMT fans feelin' kinda abandoned by Atlus right now after SMTIV:Animu. (I loved it) Now SMT is the spinoff, lol. Persona seems to be the main cash cow now. And seriously the gap was too long. If they gave a fuck about actual spoilers they would have done a WW release.

I also want another Digital Devil Saga-like game. Something of that nature.

Also please take the time to perfect Persona 6 for all of us and live up to the series' aesthetic appeal, great writing, and superb gameplay. Thanks Atlus.

koutoru

This. Like holy shit I don't think I can handle another 8 month gap between the Japan and west anymore. Also I find it funny that Persona is a spinoff that gets spinoffs.
If you really want to get into it, it's technically a spin off of a remake of a video game adaption of a novel that get's spin offs.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Persona 6 should go back to the office/yuppie setting like Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.

aravuus

Persona 6 should go back to the office/yuppie setting like Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.

I wouldn't be opposed to this. As long as the SLink stuff and overall day structure stays, I'm fine with any setting/cast of characters really.

Just make it happen before 2025, though.

Japan is slowly realizing they don't need to exclusively depend on a Japanese audience anymore.
"What? There's an actual market outside of Japan where Persona sells more and they enjoy the Japanese cultural experience, Social Link aspects, and amazing anime style art? Whatever. Just give localization teams a tight budget and timetable that results in typos and robotic translations plus give them restrictions on streaming that hurt the game in the US market. That'll surely sell more copies in the foreign market! High five!" - Atlus Executive

Occam

That graph just reminds me how bad EP did.

Never gonna see an adult cast in Persona game again, that's for damn sure.

Persona 2 Eternal Sin was 17 years ago, the console market was different then (average gamer age is over 30 now).
Atlus has since given us Catherine.

I am sure a more adult Persona game with a university setting would do fine now.

FluxWaveZ

The cool scenario would be that the Western sales of Persona 5 would surpass Atlus' expectations, and increase the efforts they put towards localization and marketing for their future tent-pole titles in the West. I don't think that's realistic, though.

And Persona's in a weird place right now, considering Studio Zero and Project Re Fantasy. Don't know who'd even be behind a Persona 6, if it were released sooner than later, considering the brunt of the P Studio creative team is now at Studio Zero. And who knows when it'll actually be released, if it were to be later than sooner.

There'll be several spin-offs in the interim.

Squire

Banned
Always said it would be this successful. I maintain they're looking at 2.5-3m longterm. And good for them, honestly.

Is the loc spotty? Yep. Should you be able to stream it? For sure. Is it one of the very best RPGs in recent memory? Absolutely. It's one of the best games this generation and I'm only 44 hours in.

So much for the anime art style holding the series back and it having 1.5 Mio life time sales if even. Turns out it shipped and likely sold most of it in the first two days.

So happy right now (=ↀωↀ=)✧

Philippo

If the word of mouth is as good as it was with P4 (although threatening streamers surely doesn't help), i can see this getting 3mln LTD sales.

danthefan

So would this be enough sales for it to turn a profit already? It's not a huge number by AAA standards, but I'm guessing their costs wouldn't be as high either?

Anyway it looks like it's the best selling Persona ever? Great news.

Opa-Pa

Great news! This is looking like it'll be GOTG material for me like Bloodborne and BoTW, the game is just so damn good and well put together, it deserves all the success it can get.

Now, remember how Atlus USA used to slap the SMT logo and add SMT to the title of every Megaten game back in the PS2 days to help them gain popularity thanks to Nocturne? I think it's finally time to do it reverse. Slap a sticker that reads "From the creators of Persons" on SMTV, it needs all the help it can get.

Also make "Featuring Bayonetta from the Bayonetta series" happen Sega, you know you want to.

ffvorax

After playing P4G (my favourite) and P3P, I couldn't not buy this day one.

Only three hours in, but I'm already loving it.

But I have to say, I would have bought a Vita version instead if it was available, this game in portable is better for me to play... will buy for sure a future portable edition.

Eolz

Nice. Faster than I expected.
Although it's good to remember it's shipped.

Will be interesting to see if it has legs and over how long. This is the kind of game that has a dedicated fanbase buying at the start.

They should, but given that going the way of P3/4/5 made them more successful... (And that we got SMT4A this way, or even SMTSJ's remake additions...)

Asd202

Damn most successful Atlus game by far. Will probably break 2 million sold when it's said and done. Also this shows as how improtant is the outside market to Japanese games and why there making games for PS4.

This is my first Persona game. Went in completely not knowing what to expect. I generally don't like old school JRPG turned based combat (I love Tactical Turn based ala FF tactics/Xcom) that being said the system is pretty cool. I'm playing on hard and the difficulty seems right for me. I'm a little worried about being so time restricted in game. But I'm really enjoying the story so far.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wow - amazing success, congrats....i expect +3m when its all said and done.

ChrisD

The game is amazing, so it's great to hear. Hope it can sell through and reach even higher by the end of its run.

Mendrox

Nioh and Persona 5 breaking 1 million plus has been extremely fortuitous.

I'm still hesitant to not call them 'niche' though. They are certainly still only appealing to a group of audience.... it's just that audience is now 1 million plus strong lol

Is 1 million even Niche anymore these days?

kenta

Has no PEINS
The cool scenario would be that the Western sales of Persona 5 would surpass Atlus' expectations, and increase the efforts they put towards localization and marketing for their future tent-pole titles in the West. I don't think that's realistic, though.

And Persona's in a weird place right now, considering Studio Zero and Project Re Fantasy. Don't know who'd even be behind a Persona 6, if it were released sooner than later, considering the brunt of the P Studio creative team is now at Studio Zero. And who knows when it'll actually be released, if it were to be later than sooner.

There'll be several spin-offs in the interim.
Hashino said he would still be involved at P Studio, do you not believe him?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

marmoka

Banned
Two days playing and I'm loving the game. And I didn't like the previous Persona games, because of the horrible j-pop soundtrack, procedural dungeons, and boring story.

This one looked in the trailers, that fixed all the flawns the previous games had, and it does. The music is awesome, dungeons are great, and the story is great from the beginning. And these numbers show this was the right way for the series

Congratulations Atlus! Well deserved sales!

kuroshiki

How could you forget FF XV too >O

FF15 isn't 'coming back' of Japanese games. It's 'step backward, a lot' example of Japanese game.

Two days playing and I'm loving the game. And I didn't like the previous Persona games, because of the horrible j-pop soundtrack, procedural dungeons, and boring story.

This one looked in the trailers, that fixed all the flawns the previous games had, and it does. The music is awesome, dungeons are great, and the story is great from the beginning. And these numbers show this was the right way for the series

Congratulations Atlus! Well deserved sales!

WTF?

Overwatch
Persona 5
Witcher 3
Bloodborne

That's almost half of my top ten. This generation has been awesome and P5 is the latest cherry on top. This game is just so slick. Atlus deserves the success for this.

khaaan

Oh wow, that blows past all the single SKUs for all the other Persona games. I can see it going over 2 million lifetime.

I think it might be past P4G + P4.

http://personacentral.com/graphic-overall-persona-game-sales-japan-january-2017/
From Jan
Edit: http://personacentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Persona-Japan-Sales-Data-2017.jpeg

I knew first week sales were always important but I didn't realize that for some titles they make up such a significant portion of the lifetime sales of a game. That's pretty interesting to see.

Congrats to P5, I'll definitely be picking it up in a few months.

AzureFlame

I'm happy for them, this game is masterpiece, honestly i don't see how P6 will top this.

I hope one day we get HD treatments of some old SMT games like Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga and Devil Summoner.

Top Bottom