• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 ships over 1.5 million copies worldwide

I'm consistent with my line of thought, if good games made by good developers get criticized by people because company policies dictate that these good game must be cut of important content and put by separate and paid DLC then i think games like Persona 5 must be criticized too.

And if you think having the morality of depriving yourself of something that you enjoy because there's an aspect you don't agree on is childish and not like a grown up should act then i don't know what to tell you.
You miss the point entirely. You can completely critisize them for doing what you feel is a stupid thing, of course you can and should hold to that rather than let a company think it's fine, i'm not knocking you for that.

That isn't what you did though. You claimed the whole game didn't deserve good sales at all which is taking disliking one thing they did to an absolute extreme and essentially wishing the livlihoods of everyone involved to suffer.

That helps no one. It doesn't help your cause that you are annoyed over the lack of streaming, boycott it if you feel that strongly, message Atlus, make a video about it or something, there are ways of doing these things to get the point across to the company but to wish the whole game to fail? Yes, yes that is childish and utterly ridiculous.

black070

The mindset is to let stupid bullshit fly in order to get the thing, the bullshit becomes the norm and more bad stuff gets added over time in the end you get stuff like ME:A (the most recent example here's why i mentioned it) and other games with bullshit policies that have been released these years.
As for your questions:
-Yes i own a PS4 Pro
-I bought P5 and played it for 3 hours but asked for a refund as soon as i heard the no streaming policy
-No i don't stream regularly nor do i earn money to do so

The fuck ? I must not be as serious about gaming as I thought because that seems stupid to me.

Ironic for a waifu simulator to be undershipped.
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Well done.

silva1991

-Yes i own a PS4 Pro
-I bought P5 and played it for 3 hours but asked for a refund as soon as i heard the no streaming policy

Why not make a hashtag or something instead of punishing this niche game?

Mihos

Gold Member
I am not sure about the streaming policy thing. With a single player/story driven game, I don't see how it is any different than streaming a new movie release or rebroadcasting a NFL game. Especially if you are making money off of it.

Of course I may be missing the point entirely since I don't watch that kind of stuff.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm hoping to pick it up this weekend as I'm still making my way through the second run through of Nier Automata. I'm hoping to platinum that game this weekend before jumping into P5. Though I may honestly play a game to cleanse my pallet like Rain World as I've been playing so many huge sprawling games lately lol. I might need a break before I burn out.

-Yes i own a PS4 Pro

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

zNXvBiNNcrjDW.gif

For the record:
  • Own a PS4 Pro.
  • 10+ hours into P5 and absolutely loving it.
  • No I don't stream or earn the money to do so.
... and I seriously can't fathom this logic. You're seeing a slippery slope where there's a flat plateau. Native console streaming was only introduced this gen, and disabling it for the majority of the game + limiting scenes shared is as far as this specific 'rabbit hole' can go. You can't compare a legitimately unfinished/unpolished product like ME:A to a finished one like P5 just because of ATLUS' limited streaming policy.

Asd202

The mindset is to let stupid bullshit fly in order to get the thing, the bullshit becomes the norm and more bad stuff gets added over time in the end you get stuff like ME:A (the most recent example here's why i mentioned it) and other games with bullshit policies that have been released these years.
As for your questions:
-Yes i own a PS4 Pro

How do you feel about Nintendo's policies regarding youtube and monetization?

LeleSocho

Banned
You miss the point entirely. You can completely critisize them for doing what you feel is a stupid thing, of course you can and should hold to that rather than let a company think it's fine, i'm not knocking you for that.

That isn't what you did though. You claimed the whole game didn't deserve good sales at all which is taking disliking one thing they did to an absolute extreme and essentially wishing the livlihoods of everyone involved to suffer.

That helps no one. It doesn't help your cause that you are annoyed over the lack of streaming, boycott it if you feel that strongly, message Atlus, make a video about it or something, there are ways of doing these things to get the point across to the company but to wish the whole game to fail? Yes, yes that is childish and utterly ridiculous.
Not it's not, it's perfectly normal wishing something that actively hampers the enjoyment of what you do to fail, this isn't some "no harm done i just don't like it" situation which is where your reasoning makes perfect sense.

Surrrree, you did. If so, congrats, you're in the 0.001%
Do you want proof? i can make photos and screenshot of everything if you want lol
thanks for the congratulations i guess eheheh
Why not make a hashtag or something instead of punishing this niche game?
Because i don't want to support companies that apply these policies, simple as that.

You can't compare a legitimately unfinished/unpolished product like ME:A to a finished one like P5 just because of ATLUS' limited streaming policy.

Me a few hours ago said:
i said that the mentality of accepting everything leads to stuff like ME:A not that the two are equal.
How do you feel about Nintendo's policies regarding youtube and monetization?
Less disgusting policy but bad nonetheless, i've left Nintendo long ago for other reasons though (their philosophy on weak hardware).

Ravage

Congrats to Atlus, it's likely that P5 has smashed the top line of their expectations.

Really happy to see RPGs like P5 and Horizon doing well in sales, i was worried for the genre entering this gen.

OmegaDL50

Your problem seems to be the fact you can't seem to separate the artists the created this game from the publishers that published it. The issue with the blocked streaming has absolutely no reflection on the developers that released this game itself, as opposed to the higher ups that are imposing the restrictions which had no involvement in the creative process of the "game" itself. Your premise on claims this games sales are undeserved as such fails on the principal alone in being unable to separate the corporate political side of Atlus, as opposed to the developer side of it.

I'll assume you also think Bioware Montreal releasing ME:A before the QA was finished had nothing do with EA forcibly pushing the game out just to meet their Q1 Fiscal Sale goal as well.

Vice

Great. Loving the game so far. Also enjoy the push toward streaming getting restricted. Hopefully it helps leads to the odd gray area Let's Plays and streams occupy being defined better sooner rather than later.

HMD

Thanks to the fact that the vita had no games, it making me risk it and buy P4G when the only thing I knew about the game is its metacritic score, I would have never gotten into the series if it wasn't for that.

Not it's not, it's perfectly normal wishing something that actively hampers the enjoyment of what you do to fail, this isn't some "no harm done i just don't like it" situation which is where your reasoning makes perfect sense.

Do you want proof? i can make photos and screenshot of everything if you want lol
thanks for the congratulations i guess eheheh

Because i don't want to support companies that apply these policies, simple as that.

Less disgusting policy but bad nonetheless, i've left Nintendo long ago for other reasons though (their philosophy on weak hardware).
giphy.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the whole streaming thing is such a grey area. People actively make money from content other people created, games in this case, when they stream in their channels but on the other hand once a person buys a game they own it, and can do whatever they want with it and that includes streaming.

no side is really wrong or right, but to go to such extremes to wish a game fails because of this, is so dumb I can't even begin to comprehend how you can arrive at that train of thought.

P-Studio worked their butts off to make this game as perfect as it could be, game was delayed again and again to fine-tune and polish it to hell and back. They shouldn't be held hostage to the whims of some suits that decided the biggest game which the company they have stocks in created shouldn't be streamed or content shared.

As for your questions:
-Yes i own a PS4 Pro
-No i don't stream regularly nor do i earn money to do so.

That's just silly.

Edit: the only thing more silly is that guy who bought Nioh but refused to play it because of the change in Co-op.

.JayZii

Banned
As for your questions:
-Yes i own a PS4 Pro
Dem principles doe.

duckroll

the whole streaming thing is such a grey area. People actively make money from content other people created, games in this case, when they stream in their channels but on the other hand once a person buys a game they own it, and can do whatever they want with it and that includes streaming.

no side is really wrong or right, but to go to such extremes to wish a game fails because of this, is so dumb I can't even begin to comprehend how you can arrive at that train of thought.

P-Studio worked their butts off to make this game as perfect as it could be, game was delayed again and again to fine-tune and polish it to hell and back. They shouldn't be held hostage to the whims of some suits that decided the biggest game which the company they have stocks in created shouldn't be streamed or content shared.

Nah, I know how you feel but with regards to streaming Atlus is wrong here when they block all sharing functions. It's bad for us. If they are concerned about copyright or revenue issuesissues with individual streamers they should state their case to the hosting services and make a claim like any other company. Preventing fans from even sharing screenshots directly on the PS4 is bullshit.

If someone feels strongly enough to boycott it that is their right. The game is successful anyway, no need to defend Atlus' bullshit.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People are skipping this masterpiece over beef with their streaming policy?

It's a good thing to have principles, but I can't possibly roll my eyes hard enough. You do you.
The game's so good i've been remote-playing it every night while visiting my parents for a few days. Goddamn it's got me hooked and remote-play is perfect for this game. It's like i'm playing it native.

depths20XX

Is Atlus even enforcing their "suggestion"? Even now, there are people on twitch streaming well past the 7/7 date they gave.

The streaming stuff I think is kind of dumb, to be honest the game is perfect for streaming/let's play kind of stuff. It's absolutely gorgeous to watch and there's so many different ways to go about things it hardly seems like any two play throughs would be the same regardless. It'd also be great for battle help, in case you get stuck on a boss or something like that, or can't find something you need. Especially considering I don't believe there was ever an actual official guide or anything like that (at least in America) which would be super useful. Regardless I still wish the screenshot feature was still allowed at the very least. The games so pretty being able to take screenshots would be perfect.

People are skipping this masterpiece over beef with their streaming policy?

It's a good thing to have principles, but I can't possibly roll my eyes hard enough. You do you.
The game's so good i've been remote-playing it every night while visiting my parents for a few days. Goddamn it's got me hooked and remote-play is perfect for this game. It's like i'm playing it native.

The bolded is very true, it works and looks beautiful on the vita when I sent the day at my parents today (They were having out with their grand kids)

Skipping Persona 5 over their streaming policy is like skipping Half Life 2 over Valve making you install Steam. You are only hurting yourself.

Nah, I know how you feel but with regards to streaming Atlus is wrong here when they block all sharing functions. It's bad for us. If they are concerned about copyright or revenue issuesissues with individual streamers they should state their case to the hosting services and make a claim like any other company. Preventing fans from even sharing screenshots directly on the PS4 is bullshit.

If someone feels strongly enough to boycott it that is their right. The game is successful anyway, no need to defend Atlus' bullshit.

This is sound, sure, but boycotting the game because it blocks a function you don't even use or have interest in using is pretty asinine in my opinion.

Zolo

This is sound, sure, but boycotting the game because it blocks a function you don't even use or have interest in using is pretty asinine in my opinion.

People can draw the line where they want to. They have no obligation to spend money on it. I remember a topic about people not wanting to buy DQ games because of the music composer being a Nanking denier advocate. That's their choice and nothing wrong with drawing that line.

The use of 'disgusting' is hilarious. It has no effect on your life personally and Atlus isn't promoting slave labour with this 'no streaming' policy. They just don't want people streaming important parts of THEIR game. Get over it. Lots of kids knocking their blocks over because they can't get their way.

I'm 4 hours in and it's building up fantastically. I'm hoping for 2 million at least in sales by the years end. Well done Atlus.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
The style this game oozes...you cant help but grin. Kudos to Atlus. Most other gamrs can't come close in this regard.

People can draw the line where they want to. They have no obligation to spend money on it. I remember a topic about people not wanting to buy DQ games because of the music composer being a Nanking denier advocate. That's their choice and nothing wrong with drawing that line.

I think that's very different to drawing the line at "This publisher is blocking this feature that I don't even care about or want to use, so I'm going to boycott their game". Don't you? Either way, I didn't say there's anything wrong with it. They can do what they like. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous in my eyes.

LeleSocho

Banned
The use of 'disgusting' is hilarious. It has no effect on your life personally and Atlus isn't promoting slave labour with this 'no streaming' policy. They just don't want people streaming important parts of THEIR game. Get over it. Lots of kids knocking their blocks over because they can't get their way.

I'm 4 hours in and it's building up fantastically. I'm hoping for 2 million at least in sales by the years end. Well done Atlus.

How is it denying people of something both enjoyable and that harms literally no one not disgusting?
In any case the people that needs to "get over it" are the ones so upset by my decision, i'm not saying that you shouldn't buy the game, do whatever you want i'm just saying that it would probably be better for everyone if this game wasn't successful to make understand the industry that stuff like that shouldn't happen... either that or do not be that surprised when they try to impose anticonsumer stuff in the future, i sure know what i think it's better for me (and the others).

Majmun

I didn't miss streaming or taking screenshots in the previous games, and I don't miss it now.

I'm glad it's a success. The product is great.

LeleSocho

Banned
I think that's very different to drawing the line at "This publisher is blocking this feature that I don't even care about or want to use, so I'm going to boycott their game". Don't you? Either way, I didn't say there's anything wrong with it. They can do what they like. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous in my eyes.

I actually care about people's freedom of streaming whatever they like otherwise i wouldn't do such actions, whatever or not i use said feature is meaningless just because it doesn't affect me it doesn't mean it's ok to look away.

Majmun

Do you also boycott games that block share play?

It's their product and Atlus can turn on or off any option they want.

But do they block media that people record with their own caption cards? Now that would be not ok.

Top Bottom