• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Won't Be Out In North America Until February 2017

Still wish the Steelbook had the standard edition's cover on it.

Or, like the more recent Odin Sphere re-release. The Story Book edition had a metal sleeve that covered a standard edition. I find that to be incredibly cool, something I wish more Special Editions adopt.
Nah, I prefer a steelbook. A slip case seems cheap to me.

Well the difference here is that P5 is technically this year, but the english version happens next year. Those other two games aren't being released at all this year.
I get that but event hen I think it was stated by atlus several times that the western version would release in the same year as the original.
Fucccckkkkk I forgot about Mass Effect :(

2017 is stacked already.
i hate that i'm thinking of the year 2017 now. i need that fuckin shit off my mind
Don't forget Zelda Wii U / NX. And those may not be the only Most Anticipated Games for 2016 to get bounced over to next year, either.
haven't paid much attention to nintendo stuff but yeah, add it to the list.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Just being real, series obviously has a lot sexual humor/innuendo. Had they rushed a WW release most stuff would have a good chance of slipping through, but they're going to be going over it with a fine tooth comb with that kind of delay and clearly have hopes of being a more mainstream sales success with such an investment into the localization.

Bruh. Our games have literal penis demons in them. The closest an ATLUS game has ever come to a mainstream success previously is Catherine, which, well. Just google "Catherine ATLUS" and you'll get the point. I think you can relax a bit.

Oh, and before you throw #FE in my face, remember: ATLUS is the publisher of Persona 5. Atlus is NOT the publisher of #FE.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
And of course Europe has to wait until 2018, or very late in 2017 if we are lucky and they throw us a bone, but since it's Atlus, i'll bet on 2018.

Fuck you Atlus.

edit: Fuck SEGA too.

wmlk

I dunno man. Nichijou is my favorite comedic slice of life show.

hXqEQ.gif

The principle is Atlus fans trying to get P5 in this scenario.

Nichijou is literally above and beyond any anime I've seen in terms of enjoyment. Too damn good.

I've had people who hate anime just watch it and love it.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
After reading through this thread I have to say it's a great decision on the part of Atlus to announce the date today. I can't even imagine the reaction if they showed a trailer during Sony's conference and it ended with "February 17, 2017".

So if we don't hear about a TLG date before the conference it's save to say 2016 is a lock!

Aters

Bruh. Our games have literal penis demons in them. The closest an ATLUS game has ever come to a mainstream success previously is Catherine, which, well. Just google "Catherine ATLUS" and you'll get the point. I think you can relax a bit.

Oh, and before you throw #FE in my face, remember: ATLUS is the publisher of Persona 5. Atlus is NOT the publisher of #FE.

Don't often see PR jump into a thread and directly address people's question. You must really like your job (or maybe you are just browsing GAF at work like me lol).

So, basically, you only have one solid example making your case, and it's a hugely minor example.

although i don't agree that there's a scourge of games being changed or held back in NA due to SJW activity and what not, can we not do the thing where we put someone on the spot to provide a list of examples and then when he/she can't we chest beat and claim victory?

probably best saved for PM's where replies won't get lost in the crowd because lists and sources cant just be whipped up with the snap of fingers and provided while everyone is still in the thread.

as for the boxart, it looks like morgana was obscured by the little box in the JP version too, but for all we know they ended up regretting that and decided to make sure nothing was covered for the NA version? although at the same time, it's not out in JP yet so they could still change it to match NA's if they don't like it. i don't think it's as big of a deal or warranting being considered censorship.

Neonep

Damn, that sucks, Persona fans in NA have to basically stay away from anything relating to the game for 5 months due to spoilers. Wow. Good luck to all of ya'll.

senbon

Neo Member
And of course Europe has to wait until 2018, or very late in 2017 if we are lucky and they throw us a bone, but since it's Atlus, i'll bet on 2018.

Fuck you Atlus.

edit: Fuck SEGA too.

Don't worry, we can pass the time with SMT IV: Apocalypse
:( or probably not
. In all honesty, it's going to be interesting to see how long it will take for an EU version to be released (or even announced). I sure do hope they've improved since the "localisation" effort for SMT IV.

Setsu00

Why are EU people complaining so much? I mean unless they pull a Persona 4 Arena can't you just buy the US version from Amazon?

1. As you said, there's the infamous case of Persona 4 Arena.
2. People don't like having to import their games.
3. People don't like being treated like second class costumers.

It's absolutely baffling that someone has to explain this all the time.

Eumi

Why are EU people complaining so much? I mean unless they pull a Persona 4 Arena can't you just buy the US version from Amazon?

Yeah fuck us right? Just buy your products from another country what's the problem?

says someone who is still totally gonna import from the US

meanspartan

I'm ok with this so long as FFXV doesn't budge from its 2016 date. Two long JPRGS too close together was kinda a bit much for me.

Still....remember when people thought this was a 2015 game hahahaha.

flohen95

Why are EU people complaining so much? [...] Can't you just buy the US version from Amazon?

I imagine that this is what the people at Atlus are thinking

I'm only half joking
sadly

To be fair, though, it's still a long time until the actual release, so I shall remain cautiously optimistic in regards to a European release.

meanspartan

Yeah just like 2016 was going to be insane.

This.

The whole gen has been "medium-term future is looking great!". Now we are about to enter a kinda sorta new console gen, and the Ps4/Xbox One have not had a single great year. They've hand a handful of tremendous games sure, but still no 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013, etc.

artsi

Because in 2017 we should be able to buy one of the most popular JRPG's from the store, not requiring to import it from across the pond.

just preorderd the collectors edition from amazon.com, because i´m too afraid we don´t get a cool collectors pack like this in europe.
will probably cancel if they confirm release date and special editions though.

some of you said there where some problems with persona 4 arena with importing, i missed the story, what was it about?

Ridley327

After reading through this thread I have to say it's a great decision on the part of Atlus to announce the date today. I can't even imagine the reaction if they showed a trailer during Sony's conference and it ended with "February 17, 2017".

Yeah, I can see that. So much of my hype for TLG evaporated as soon as 2016 ended the demo. You can tickle balls for only so long until you accidentally pinch them.

Labrys

just preorderd the collectors edition from amazon.com, because i´m too afraid we don´t get a cool collectors pack like this in europe.
will probably cancel if they confirm release date and special editions though.

some of you said there where some problems with persona 4 arena with importing, i missed the story, what was it about?
It's the only region locked PS3 game, a lot of people imported it and weren't able to play it on their PAL systems.

It's the only region locked PS3 game, a lot of people imported it and weren't able to play it on their PAL systems.

Ultimax was not region locked though. IIRC the region lock was because the game was dual audio or something and atlus didn't want people importing from NA to JP or something.

oh damn, is it technically possible that they do the same with persona 5 on ps4?
but even if it is i may just keep the order just for the collectors stuff :D

I'm sure that all of us individually bombarding his inbox about PLACEHOLDER art is going to endear him to us

They won't know what we want unless we tell them, and Hardin has already asked for feedback on things like that especially because they're not finalized yet.

(Can't remember where I saw him ask, but I'm 85% sure he wants the feedback on stuff like that)

Ridley327

oh damn, is it technically possible that they do the same with persona 5 on ps4?
but even if it is i may just keep the order just for the collectors stuff :D

It is possible, but I don't see it as being very likely since it doesn't sound like any possible dual audio option would be on the disc to begin with. Far less of a justification to lock it down for an already asinine purpose.

FluxWaveZ

It is possible, but I don't see it as being very likely since it doesn't sound like any possible dual audio option would be on the disc to begin with. Far less of a justification to lock it down for an already asinine purpose.

Plus, I'm not sure Sega would want that reputation, as opposed to Index at the time.

man i hope so that would be great, cause i cannot wait a year longer than the us and get spoiled

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

At first I was wondering this too, but yeah, a new PV and people are gonna go nuts.

Best by far to get it out of the way now.

Still disappointed in that its taken this long for them to announce it, given how many times they've (Atlus USA) has repeated whatever party line about the current year that Atlus Japan told them to, but I'd much rather have that news now then at E3 itself.

Still curious on what led SMTIV to be such a large outlier in localization speed, though.

Zafir

Plus, it's coming out significantly later than the Japanese release anyway. The main problem was it had dual audio and it came out really close to the Japanese release, so they were afraid of people importing from the US instead of paying the ridiculous yen price.

Overall I don't think it was worth it. I can't imagine Persona 4 Arena sold that well over here considering it came out like a year later. All the buzz had gone. I'd forgotten I even had a pre-order when it turned up, and proceeded to just not play it because I was busy playing other things by then.

Kremzeek

What?! NOOOOOOOOOOO

I feel legit upset right now. :(

Well I know it's going to be good, but it's just disappointing to have to wait.

mrmickfran

Dunno if this has been clarified yet, but Amazon has a Standard Edition available for preorder as opposed to the Steelbook Edition.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Plus, it's coming out significantly later than the Japanese release anyway. The main problem was it had dual audio and it came out really close to the Japanese release, so they were afraid of people importing from the US instead of paying the ridiculous yen price.

But the japanese version was also locked. Unless i'm not remembering right, but i'm pretty sure it was.

Top Bottom