• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Won't Be Out In North America Until February 2017

Reallink

It's not like they stick the Japanese script in Babelfish and then go back through and check the result. Any sexual humor/innuendo that was in the English version of the game would have been written by the English localization staff so of course it wouldn't "slip through." If anything, a rushed localization would be more likely to omit sexual innuendo & jokes because they might not realize at first that a line was meant to have that meaning.

The potential issue's not the translation, it's that the time will allow them to triple vet content through focus groups, multiple executive/department chains, and evaluative services--which they probably wouldn't be able to rushing a WW release.

Would you like to point out how many Japanese games have been censored/changed due to "SWJ/Outrage culture/movement" that wouldn't already have been censored/changed given the company releasing the game or the content contained within the game?

Because I'd love to see that list.

Most famous is no doubt Tecmo's backpedled admission of why DOAX3 was shelved in the west. IIRC and off the top of my head, I think there were threads about more minor stuff like Star Ocean swapping one character to granny panties and Nier considering removing costume breaks or changing a leotard to short or something. I'm sure there's more stuff I'm not familiar with, even without getting into Nintendo, who claim they suggest no changes, but dev/pubs do it of their own accord.

In case the differences weren't obvious enough, Golden was a relatively low budget Vita port for a super niche platform that long predates the SJW/Outrage culture/movement that has scared so many dev/pubs into changing (or straight up not releasing) their games. P5 is a flagship JRPG on one of the fastest selling consoles in history with a significant marketing/localization investment. If that still seems nonsensical, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh I'm glad that there's an ignore function on NeoGAF

All art is not final. These are mock-ups.

Nothing is final - that's not the official steelbook design.

When are they going to finalize it so I know whether or not its worth it?

Skulldead

Sexy collector come to Eu~
CkWOh8HWEAAZq_w.jpg

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/740154434550964224

Edit: pre-order ?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01GKHJPAC/10-5009-20/

Pretty sure it will be sold out quick. Pre-order are up to Ebgames Canada.

Atlas157

I expected it to be 2017 the earliest, so I'm pleasantly surprised!

What I'm NOT that happy about is its February 14th release date. I planned on buying Persona 5 and sinking an entire day into it. But... they picked Valentine's Day.... The ONE day where I'm going to have all day long plans. Because you know, it's Valentine's Day!! Who doesn't have plans on Valentine's Day?!

God dammit.

I don't :(

because 2016 was officially stated as the release year for NA. Never got a month or anything, but 2016 was official. Hell, last I checked the P5 NA website still said 2016 in the page title

I'm seeing a mix of articles not being sure of a 2016 release in America and some do state that. Leading me to believethis a case of miscommunication and jumping to conclusions.

FluxWaveZ

I'm seeing a mix of articles not being sure of a 2016 release in America and some do state that. Leading me to believethis a case of miscommunication and jumping to conclusions.

Why is it that each time there's a delay, there's this underlying sentiment of revisionist history.

1. On February 25, 2014 Persona 5 was officially announced in North America for a 2015 release date: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfaPgl8N8E

2. On September 17, 2015, Persona 5 was officially delayed in North America to a 2016 release date. They issued a press release.

Now there's this.

In case the differences weren't obvious enough, Golden was a relatively low budget Vita port for a super niche platform that long predates the SJW/Outrage culture/movement that has scared so many dev/pubs into changing (or straight up not releasing) their games. P5 is a flagship JRPG on one of the fastest selling consoles in history with a significant marketing/localization investment. If that still seems nonsensical, I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah your post still seems like nonsense but I guess we will see who is right next year :)

Atlus USA was very clear about 2016
xYlricx.png

if you check Title for the persona 5 page now it just says

Why is it that each time there's a delay, there's this underlying sentiment of revisionist history.

1. On February 25, 2014 Persona 5 was officially announced in North America for a 2015 release date: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfaPgl8N8E

2. On September 17, 2015, Persona 5 was officially delayed in North America to a 2016 release date. They issued a press release.

Now there's this.

Thank you. Although I wasn't referring to 2015, but the current date

RocBase

The biggest issue I have with this 5 month gap between the JP and NA release will be the spoilers. Youtube and image based sites are going to be hell to navigate.

After reading through this thread I have to say it's a great decision on the part of Atlus to announce the date today. I can't even imagine the reaction if they showed a trailer during Sony's conference and it ended with "February 17, 2017".

mollipen

Most famous is no doubt Tecmo's backpedled admission of why DOAX3 was shelved in the west. IIRC and off the top of my head, I think there were threads about more minor stuff like Star Ocean swapping one character to granny panties and Nier considering removing costume breaks or changing a leotard to short or something. I'm sure there's more stuff I'm not familiar with, even without getting into Nintendo, who claim they suggest no changes, but dev/pubs do it of their own accord.

Except DOAX3 doesn't count, because we don't actually know what would happen if the game was brought to the West, or if "moral panic" is really the legit reason why we haven't gotten it. And Star Ocean 5 is the one example I could come up with. (And they aren't anywhere near "granny panties" unless you have little knowledge of what women's panties look like.)

So, basically, you only have one solid example making your case, and it's a hugely minor example.

Except DOAX3 doesn't count, because we don't actually know what would happen if the game was brought to the West, or if "moral panic" is really the legit reason why we haven't gotten it. And Star Ocean 5 is the one example I could come up with. (And they aren't anywhere near "granny panties" unless you have little knowledge of what women's panties look like.)

So, basically, you only have one solid example making your case, and it's a hugely minor example.
I dont really want to appease him since hes being ridiculous, his original statement mentioned "games that arent released at all" and DOAX3 does fit that

RPGCrazied

I do like the normal edition's art. If the final art for the steelbook is like nothing but that cat mascot, I'm canceling and getting the normal version.

The steelbook case isn't very good looking

Still wish the Steelbook had the standard edition's cover on it.

Or, like the more recent Odin Sphere re-release. The Story Book edition had a metal sleeve that covered a standard edition. I find that to be incredibly cool, something I wish more Special Editions adopt.

ar4757

You can tell a lot of Persona fans aren't regular JRPG fans. A 5 month localization is godspeed considering P5 probably has a shit ton of dialogue and lip syncs that need to be done.

Yeah, I'm still mad about it - only because of the insistence on 2015 last year, and Hardin insisting, and I mean insisting, 2016 this year. Relative to most series I like, 5 months is pretty good.

Stuff like Rune Factory 4, my favorite 3ds game, took almost a year and a half.

Reallink

I think you may be confusing a PR smooth over with denial. My understanding is the DOAX3 situation was pretty clear cut. Their original response referenced exhaustive internal discussion (over the course of 2 years) along with the tacit admission they wanted to avoid criticism. Pretty specific to be the ramblings of a rogue CM. Throwing an employee under the bus for speaking out of turn doesn't redefine the subtext (or text in this case). I'm sure you can agree that certainly it's far more likely these discussions happened and played into the decision, rather than not.

mollipen

I dont really want to appease him since hes being ridiculous, his original statement mentioned "games that arent released at all" and DOAX3 does fit that

True, but I asked him for a list of games that had actually been changed/censored when brought over due to "SJWs". People keep saying that such games exist, and I want to know what they are.

firelogic

They say the art isn't final but it's pretty final. They do that with all box-art and in the end, that's what it ends up being unless it's just a black background with the game title on it.

Hikami

Eh, I can wait. Just hope I don't get spoiled.
More upset that we're not getting the same Collector's Edition that Japan is getting..

Top Bottom