• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Won't Be Out In North America Until February 2017

Kindekuma

Banned
Probably one of the better comedic slice of life animes ever.

I dunno man. Nichijou is my favorite comedic slice of life show.

hXqEQ.gif

The principle is Atlus fans trying to get P5 in this scenario.

In case the differences weren't obvious enough, Golden was a relatively low budget Vita port for a super niche platform that long predates the SJW/Outrage culture/movement that has scared so many dev/pubs into changing (or straight up not releasing) their games. P5 is a flagship JRPG on one of the fastest selling consoles in history with a significant marketing/localization investment. If that still seems nonsensical, I don't know what to tell you.

Can we please save the censorship complaints for when there's news of censorship and not try to start angry mobs over nothing? Other than their Nintendo published game & games that would otherwise be rated AO, neither of which applies to Persona 5, censorship isn't really something that Atlus does.

In case the differences weren't obvious enough, Golden was a relatively low budget Vita port for a super niche platform that long predates the SJW/Outrage culture/movement that has scared so many dev/pubs into changing (or straight up not releasing) their games. P5 is a flagship JRPG on one of the fastest selling consoles in history with a significant marketing/localization investment. If that still seems nonsensical, I don't know what to tell you.

I knew that you was going to say this and I'm still laughing, thank you.

Phu

Banned

One would hope Atlus understands why Persona has grown as much as it has, especially in relation to all the other SMT series. P3 and P4 have set P5 up for a slam dunk so they should at least give it a chance to land the points before trying to change what has brought them to this spot.

Look forward to this in 2018, then. (Third class Euro citizen here). And 5 months of avoiding spoilers and no dual audio, thanks Atlus.

Anarky

Banned

giphy.gif

Kindekuma

Banned
Can we please save the censorship complaints for when there's news of censorship and not try to start angry mobs over nothing? Other than their Nintendo published game & games that would otherwise be rated AO, neither of which applies to Persona 5, censorship isn't really something that Atlus does.

Woah, woah, woah are you implying that TMS FE would be rated AO? Or are we talking about SMT IV?
Anyway I'm gonna hold out my reservations on any major censorship changes for P5. The box art thing is a tad odd, but I don't think the game as a whole will be changed as extreme as TMS.

neoemonk

Saw some stuff on Twitter about the Special Edition already being sold out on Amazon, searched for it myself, saw they were taking preorders, so I jumped on it. Don't know what was going on before or how long it will stay up but now is a good time to look I guess.

mollipen

Would you like to point out how many Japanese games have been censored/changed due to "SWJ/Outrage culture/movement" that wouldn't already have been censored/changed given the company releasing the game or the content contained within the game?

Because I'd love to see that list.

DNAbro

Woah, woah, woah are you implying that TMS FE would be rated AO? Or are we talking about SMT IV?
Anyway I'm gonna hold out my reservations on any major censorship changes for P5. The box art thing is a tad odd, but I don't think the game as a whole will be changed as extreme as TMS.

Box art is cause esrb logo for Morgana. AO game would probably be Dungeon Travellers 2(I think this is the one) that had child characters is very suggestive situations.

Woah, woah, woah are you implying that TMS FE would be rated AO?

No, I'm saying there are two situations where Atlus has censored games in the past.

1) Tokyo Mirage Sessions because their publisher is Nintendo and they're really picky about such stuff.
2) Games that would otherwise be AO like Dungeon Travelers 2.

Just being real, series obviously has a lot sexual humor/innuendo. Had they rushed a WW release most stuff would have a good chance of slipping through

It's not like they stick the Japanese script in Babelfish and then go back through and check the result. Any sexual humor/innuendo that was in the English version of the game would have been written by the English localization staff so of course it wouldn't "slip through." If anything, a rushed localization would be more likely to omit sexual innuendo & jokes because they might not realize at first that a line was meant to have that meaning.

"their Nintendo-published game & games that would otherwise be rated AO"

Two different things, implication is TMS is the former.

Nahh, don't you get it, the censors are coming to take away all of our games, so we're going to raise our pitchforks in anticipation of the nonexistent backlash.

Kyrios

Ugh was afraid of that. Welp, between Horizon and now P5 confirmed for next February, my hype for E3 next week just shot down to zero.

Wagram

There is no possible way I can avoid spoilers for 5 months. It's over.

I avoided TLOU spoilers for two and a half years. You can do it, but if you're going out of your way to constantly search everything Persona. Yeah, you're going to spoil the entire thing for yourself.

Saw some stuff on Twitter about the Special Edition already being sold out on Amazon, searched for it myself, saw they were taking preorders, so I jumped on it. Don't know what was going on before or how long it will stay up but now is a good time to look I guess.

Yeah it's still up there last I checked. My guess is it's not going to be too limited, given that it's the only edition that actually has extra stuff. (I don't consider a steelbook to be an extra worth mentioning)

My biggest complaint is that for the first time Atlus is not including a soundtrack disc with the normal retail preorders. I don't know whether this is Sega's involvement or Atlus just wanting to maximize profits, but I'm not about that plushie life so I won't have access to the songs. edit: To be clear, I know that the soundtrack inclusions were always "for the fans" gestures. I'd be fine paying a little more for an edition with a soundtrack, but don't want to be forced into the super-deluxe edition.

Aters

I expected it to be 2017 the earliest, so I'm pleasantly surprised!

What I'm NOT that happy about is its February 14th release date. I planned on buying Persona 5 and sinking an entire day into it. But... they picked Valentine's Day.... The ONE day where I'm going to have all day long plans. Because you know, it's Valentine's Day!! Who doesn't have plans on Valentine's Day?!

God dammit.

Crtical Hit. I'm dead

artsi

Yup, the real final boss and references pics will be everywhere after a month let alone 5 months.

YouTube video suggestions is the worst.

"You wanted to see a trailer? Well I have even better, here's the ending cutscene with a thumbnail of the final boss for you!"

Ugh was afraid of that. Welp, between Horizon and now P5 confirmed for next February, my hype for E3 next week just shot down to zero.

Why? We're sure to see new stuff from both those games at E3, unless the only thing you were looking forward to was a release date.

Zafir

How early do VG+ ship out ATLUS pre-orders(for importers)?

I know they shipped out Trails of Cold Steel like 5 days early to me.

Kyrios

Yeah it's still up there last I checked. My guess is it's not going to be too limited, given that it's the only edition that actually has extra stuff. (I don't consider a steelbook to be an extra worth mentioning)

My biggest complaint is that for the first time Atlus is not including a soundtrack disc with the normal retail preorders. I don't know whether this is Sega's involvement or Atlus just wanted to maximize profits, but I'm not about that plushie life so I won't have access to the songs.

I was just able to preorder my special edition, phew.

On the plus side, if Persona 4 is any indication, having endgame content in Persona 5 spoiled is not going to be much of a loss.

"The villain is... that one guy who was holding the buckets of water as a punishment in the hallway on the first day of school and then never seen again!"

Lunar15

On the plus side, if Persona 4 is any indication, having endgame content in Persona 5 spoiled is not going to be much of a loss.

"The villain is... that one guy who was holding the buckets of water as a punishment in the hallway on the first day of school and then never seen again!"

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm gonna do my best to avoid spoilers since I'd like to go in as fresh as possible at this point, but I'm prepped for the highly likely case that I'm going to see some stuff I don't want to.

Also, This game isn't really a "mystery" as much as P4 was. Spoilers aren't going to be as obvious because it's not like we know they're looking for a killer or anything. Context is a little less clear here.

Kyrios

Why? We're sure to see new stuff from both those games at E3, unless the only thing you were looking forward to was a release date.

Kinda was but yeah I'm still probably going to enjoy new announcements and stuff from the conferences, but my enthusiasm is shot haha.

It's my fault though for actually believing the game would be localized this year.

Imagine the ourtage from the people who imported not knowing and European fans wanting to import.

It better fucking not be because I preordered for import the Special Edition for a grand total of 110€. Yeah, it's a hell lot of money but this is the kind of game I wanted for like yesterday.

SoulUnison

Banned
At least they reconfirmed the PS3 version is coming west - I haven't gotten a PS4 and have held onto my PS3 SOLELY for this game.

Then again, an extra 5 month wait gives me time to get a PS4, and I expected to have one by September for Final Fantasy XV, anyway...

This was much more of a dilemma when this was expected for Winter 2014.

Top Bottom