• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Well that was weird

cbb6.png

PK Gaming

Context: pan-hime posted the image on IRC, with the intention of also posting it on PersonaGAF, but RTH must have have gotten the same idea.

FluxWaveZ just has the best timing in the world.

CorvoSol

This was my experience exactly. The genre was losing me, fast. I played P4G with basically no expectations and right when I needed to and it renewed my faith in the genre and reminded me why I've always loved it. It's the kind of game every studio that works in the genre should aspire to create.

I marathoned the Final Fantasy series for 2 years straight, and XIII-2 was like a nail in the coffin for me, haha. For awhile I figured that TWEWY and Type-0 would be the last good RPGs I'd play until/if Bravely Default rolled around.

Then I branched out. I played Fire Emblem 7 and Awakening. Then I played Xenoblade and that SMT deal. SMT lead me to P4G and I realized that JRPGs aren't dying,
just Square Enix's reputation.

That's exactly how I feel, great JRPGs are not as abundant as they used to be. Games like Persona, Xenoblade, The Last Story are the beacons of hope for the genre. Most of the games I'm excited for are just sequels or HD versions of establish franchise. Persona 5 obviously, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Zestaria, FFX/X-2 HD, KH2.5, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. I'm just happy to see more JRPGs, and hopefully they are all good.

Oh yeah, I liked The Last Story. It wasn't exactly amazing, but it was really good, and I came to like most of the cast a lot. Zael and Callista felt like they didn't have anything more going for their characters than Cecil and Rosa (and I know I say that as a huge FF4 fanboy), but Syrenne, Lowell and Miriallia were great.

Agreed. This is an anecdotal story, but after I played P4G, I showed it to all my friends who are into gaming, and they fell in love with it.

The sister of a good friend of mine has always been into Persona, so she was super stoked when she heard I'd gotten into it, haha.

I think it's that people are really starved for JRPGs, and in this day and age they are very few and far between. But also the fact it's so different from everything in the genre in terms of setting, characters, music, and presentation, that it's kinda hard not to notice it. I think that's why you've seen a lot of people also come to not only Persona, but the SMT series as whole. Since while it's still a very traditional JRPG at it's core, it breaks all the conventions of what a JRPG is.

Yeah, if I start from the end of last generation to now, there really has been a serious lack of good JRPGs. Like, I could probably count off the ones I consider really good on my hands and that'd be it.

Dantis

And now, we dance, with Harkua, in Persona Yakuza 5! Come forth Dantis, there is dancing to be had!

If the rumour turn out to be true, I shall the rent the game, and probably quit out before the dancing.

Unless I'm completely wrong about the kind of music and dancing that's going to be in there, but I doubt that.

Gazoinks

If the rumour turn out to be true, I shall the rent the game, and probably quit out before the dancing.

Unless I'm completely wrong about the kind of music and dancing that's going to be in there, but I doubt that.

It's going to be the Charleston.

Sophia

You will dance to the music, and you will like it. :L

No but seriously, the dancing portion is probably going to be similar to what P4DAN is like so.... :p

Dantis

You will dance to the music, and you will like it. :L

No but seriously, the dancing portion is probably going to be similar to what P4DAN is like so.... :p

...Minus the Meguro music and Soejima art?

Because I have no problem with timed button presses, haha.

Squire

Banned
Guys, NichM is at the Atlus office working hard on Super Bowl Sunday!
It's a voice script!

If you're lurking: Hang in there, Nich!

RaikuHebi

Banned
Holy crap. I didn't expect Very Hard to be err...this hard.

I've been destroyed by Yosuke's shadow twice now. I'm not looking for any tips, I want to go through the whole game without help on my 2nd playthrough. But just want to emphasise how caught by surprise I was! I thought it was going to be a walkover, when I died I was dumbstruck.

This seems like the "thrill of death" I've heard about from the mainline SMT games.

Holy crap. I didn't expect Very Hard to be err...this hard.

I've been destroyed by Yosuke's shadow twice now. I'm not looking for any tips, I want to go through the whole game without help on my 2nd playthrough. But just want to emphasise how caught by surprise I was! I thought it was going to be a walkover, when I died I was dumbstruck.

This seems like the "thrill of death" I've heard about from the mainline SMT games.

Very Hard, like every other difficulty in P4, is front loaded. After dungeon 2, it becomes almost as easy as the other difficulties.

I marathoned the Final Fantasy series for 2 years straight, and XIII-2 was like a nail in the coffin for me, haha. For awhile I figured that TWEWY and Type-0 would be the last good RPGs I'd play until/if Bravely Default rolled around.

Then I branched out. I played Fire Emblem 7 and Awakening. Then I played Xenoblade and that SMT deal. SMT lead me to P4G and I realized that JRPGs aren't dying,
just Square Enix's reputation.

Absolutely, while Square has put out some of my favorite series, like FF and KH. Persona, and the Fire Emblem series reminded me that good JRPGs are still around. Square just sucks.
God I hope FFXV and KH III are good, though it's hard to stay optimistic.

MSMrRound

That ending was so lame.

The True Ending episode was much better.

Eh, it's still so much better than the ending for Devil Survivor 2: The Animation.

The adaptation was really poor and I can't believe I sat through all the episodes ;_;

Highlight was when Black Frost appeared though. HEE-HO!

Dantis

Eh, it's still so much better than the ending for Devil Survivor 2: The Animation.

The adaptation was really poor and I can't believe I sat through all the episodes ;_;

Highlight was when Black Frost appeared though. HEE-HO!

Didn't even bother watching this. I have the game but haven't even played it.

Top Bottom