• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Acid08

Banned
Junpei and Aigis took the slots for Physical attackers (Slash+Pierce). I think of Akihiko as being similar to Yosuke in terms of attacks (physical early on, before shifting to become a attacker more focused on SP attacks.
Yeah, definitely. But it just makes so much sense thematically for Aki to get some physicals.

MSMrRound

Koromaru is such a awesome party member though. That Mudoon/Agidyne combo saved my hide so many times. He seems to land quite a bit of critical hits on normal attack too. Plus his resistances are pretty good. Nothing much that he was weak against, not even Bufu-type (if I'm not wrong..it has been a while since I last played P3FES.)

Acid08

Banned
Koromaru is such a awesome party member though. That Mudoon/Agidyne combo saved my hide so many times. He seems to land quite a bit of critical hits on normal attack too.
Plus just the idea of having a fucking dog rolling with you is the coolest shit.

MSMrRound

Had Koromaru and Aigis as non-humans for P3. Teddie for P4. Just what sort of non-human Hashino/Soejima are going to introduce in P5...

Let's not forget about a hairband character as well (a trademark that Soejima usually uses for his characters) e.g P3: Aigis, P4: Yukiko. Wonder if they are still going to go with the "look at this! This girl can't cook!" thing ala Fuuka/Yukiko (+Chie+Rise if you insist)

Dantis

So Atlus are rumoured to be localising Yakuza 5.

Not sure how I feel about that. I'd play through the bits before Haruka's section, at least.

Though if they dub it, there will be blood.

*paging Dantis*

NaotoGAF taking over nao. Gimme a sec. Paging only other member of NaotoGAF. Shall ask him to use his catsuit Naoto to end the battle once and for all.

Fuck you both.

Also, it might be best to keep image dumps to a max of say 3 or 4 images, and then link the rest to a gallery from now on (Or direct image links if you're so inclined).

Agree?

Dantis

Personally, I'll rather that they help SEGA to bring over Valkyria Chronicles 3 for the PSP/Vita.

Beggars can't be choosers though...anything that we can get would be nice....but yea, my priority is still on VC3.

Unfortunately, I think this is never happening.

MSMrRound

Unfortunately, I think this is never happening.

...but...but...Sony's Shahid Kamal (@shahidkamal) and his #jrpgvita thing? ='(

Yea, realistically speaking, I don't have very high hopes of the #jrpgvita thing working out. At best, Type-0 looks like the one that's most likely to be localized.

Still need to wait and see if Shahid and his team can deliver results. Until then, I'm better off keeping my expectations low.

cj_iwakura

Not sure how I feel about that. I'd play through the bits before Haruka's section, at least.

Source? And I highly doubt Y5 will get a dub. The budget would be astronomical.

And I know you know this: the Haruka sections are a tiny part of the game, and largely optional. So don't fall any further in my opinion of you.

kewlmyc

Your collection is fantastic, this is my favorite section for obvious reasons. Even though Izanagi should be with the P4 cast, not with the P3 cast, just saying. :D
I decided to put all the action figs together on top because they don't look right placed next to scaled figures.

Honestly I think I would be more interested if the newer Yakuza game, I think it was the second one set in the samurai era, was localized.

Dantis

Source? And I highly doubt Y5 will get a dub. The budget would be astronomical.

And I know you know this: the Haruka sections are a tiny part of the game, and largely optional. So don't fall any further in my opinion of you.

Heaven forbid!

Also, if you consider like three to five hours as a 'tiny part', then sure. It's like a fifth of the game, though.

Honestly I think I would be more interested if the newer Yakuza game, I think it was the second one set in the samurai era, was localized.

Me too.

cj_iwakura

Heaven forbid!

Also, if you consider like three to five hours as a 'tiny part', then sure. It's like a fifth of the game, though.

I bet it's more like an hour. And even if that's true, that's more like a tenth of the game given how meaty a Yakuza game is. There will be plenty to distract you from the Luciferian evils of a dance game.

It might include P3 characters for all we know.

The game is worthless if this glorious dancer is not in there

Aleph the Furious Dancer and his glorious theme song.

tumblr_ma5r839L9M1qd8hs9.jpg

tumblr_ma5r8s4x8K1qd8hs9.jpg

tumblr_inline_ml8bxhtZbb1qz4rgp.jpg

iizfNlDH0tp9m.gif

tumblr_mm8vd2QLCO1s0jqp3o1_400.gif

4fa.gif

2ff.gif

Following up from my hypothetical Shadow Saki I did yesterday...

Here's a hypothetical Shadow Mayumi Yamano:
KHCOiXO.png

Unlike with Saki, her location in the TV has a lot of fun imagery to pull from. That said, that's pretty much the extent of what I had to pull from because she has like two lines in the entire game, all in a flashback! But the imagery was vivid enough that I think this speaks for itself.

KHCOiXO.png

Unlike with Saki, her location in the TV has a lot of fun imagery to pull from. That said, that's pretty much the extent of what I had to pull from because she has like two lines in the entire game, all in a flashback! But the imagery was vivid enough that I think this speaks for itself.

Hell man, you are an awesome monster designer

PK Gaming

Random thought: It's weird to me that Akihiko's Personas don't learn any physical attacks while leveling up. His whole thing is he's a boxer and cares more about training than being a well adjusted human being. His Persona should be able to punch something.

Yeah I always thought that was super bizarre. Akihiko prides himself on having a balanced Persona ("Strength and Magic are equally important!" or something along those lines) but he doesn't have the skills to take advantage of his mixed stats. So he's kind of stuck with a gimped Magic stat. I didn't like how the linear the skill path for P3 party members were (I don't want Marakunda and Masakundu, god). If P3 ever gets re-released, he should get physical moves.

Junpei and Aigis took the slots for Physical attackers (Slash+Pierce). I think of Akihiko as being similar to Yosuke in terms of attacks (physical early on, before shifting to become a attacker more focused on SP attacks. He went the Zio route because he wanted more chances of knocking down the enemies. He had been waiting for that, you know.
Yosuke tries to keep on the physical attacking front (though he peters out around the 40s). Towards the end of the game, he gets Brave Blade and instantly becomes one of the best mixed attackers.

kewlmyc

It might include P3 characters for all we know.
I'll honestly be surprised if Aigis isn't in it.

KHCOiXO.png

Reminds me of an Evangelion Angel for some reason.

Tiu Neo

Though if they dub it, there will be blood.

If that's true, my opinion about Sega buying Atlus goes from "tragedy" to "BEST THING EVER", just like that.

And I'm sure they won't dub it. They know the fanbase is used to undubed game, and it's cheaper that way.

Daimaou

Install base isn't relevant to games that sell the kind of numbers Yakuza does.

There are plenty of PS4s out there for a game that 'a only going to do 20 k retail, if that, and the audience is somewhat starved, so you'd get done extra sales off the basis of that, too.

That assumes that 100% of people who want Yakuza have a PS4. People who want Yakuza probably are more likely to be early adopters of new hardware, but I doubt it's even a majority.

Edit: I'd also argue that install base matters more to low selling games. If your sales are low, a single missed sale hurts your bottom line by a greater percentage overall.

Gazoinks

KHCOiXO.png

I don't think I ever commented on the Saki, but that and this are both awesome. Great work, dude.

FluxWaveZ

As discussed on IRC, it looks like they changed the layout for the Persona 5 announcement page. Could be nothing though.

http://p-ch.jp/sp/

I'm surprised this thing is still up if you ask me. That and unless some of the other things change like the removal of the date at the bottom into another date, I wouldn't think too hard about it.

Install base isn't relevant to games that sell the kind of numbers Yakuza does.

There are plenty of PS4s out there for a game that 'a only going to do 20 k retail, if that, and the audience is somewhat starved, so you'd get done extra sales off the basis of that, too.
Inorigo, it's pretty much a two way street with this. You can get sales from people who want games on system since it's so early into the console's life and are wanting games to play, but you may not get that many of sales because of how niche the game is, and Yakuza is really niche if you ask me. And it's also pretty much a financial risk, because you may or may not get your money back on the investment into developing the game, especially this early in the console's life.
If that's true, my opinion about Sega buying Atlus goes from "tragedy" to "BEST THING EVER", just like that.

And I'm sure they won't dub it. They know the fanbase is used to undubed game, and it's cheaper that way.
I think a dub could work, but would have to go into approaching it differently compared to their other projects. But yeah if do localize it, it will most likely be subbed, because it will most likely be cheaper to do.

Squire

Banned
That assumes that 100% of people who want Yakuza have a PS4. People who want Yakuza probably are more likely to be early adopters of new hardware, but I doubt it's even a majority.

Edit: I'd also argue that install base matters more to low selling games. If your sales are low, a single missed sale hurts your bottom line by a greater percentage overall.

I think it helps, since the audience is usually starved, especially this close to launch. There's a reason P4G shipped 700k on Vita.

Yakuza doesn't sell anywhere near that well (at least in the west), so I do think it's weird they didn't opt for Isshin. Although there was a rumor Sony's gonna do that one, so maybe that's why.

pan-hime

Huh? Wasn't that just the old announcement page's mobile layout?

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was. Didn't even know it was still around.

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90522631&postcount=1331 and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89694502&postcount=19084

So yes, nothing.

I'm just generally surprised that it's its own page instead of being a mobile version of the revealed p-ch.jp.
I'm surprised this thing is still up if you ask me. That and unless some of the other things change like the removal of the date at the bottom into another date, I wouldn't think too hard about it.
nothing since November 23rd.

Daimaou

I think it helps, since the audience is usually starved, especially this close to launch. There's a reason P4G shipped 700k on Vita.

Yakuza doesn't sell anywhere near that well (at least in the west), so I do think it's weird they didn't opt for Isshin. Although there was a rumor Sony's gonna do that one, so maybe that's why.

You're right, the lack of other games would help introduce it to a new audience. The question is, how much? Not all games will get P4G's reception. As Red said, it's a pretty big gamble, and when your bottom-line is already small...

Squire

Banned
So, I didn't know Alive was a thing in SMT. Now I get the "Die for me" reference.

You're right, the lack of other games would help introduce it to a new audience. The question is, how much? Not all games will get P4G's reception. As Red said, it's a pretty big gamble, and when your bottom-line is already small...

True. P4G has insanely positive word-of-mouth and it's a re-release of game that already had the same benefit, so that's two points more than Y5.

EMT0

Banned
True. P4G has insanely positive word-of-mouth and it's a re-release of game that already had the same benefit, so that's two points more than Y5.

I was going to point this out but you beat me to it. Persona's fanbase is generally late to the party, and the positive word of mouth for it is insane. Like, I never heard this much positivity for a game short of things like GTA and TLoU.

Top Bottom