• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say Atlus has come a long way in the art of the self-insert character. Nothing quite like seeing awful stuff happen to my "friends" and the dude just stands there expressionless.

I will say Atlus has come a long way in the art of the self-insert character. Nothing quite like seeing awful stuff happen to my "friends" and the dude just stands there expressionless.

While I agree with this, I find it lends itself well to the nihilistic tone of that game.

pan-hime

spoiler boss Corvo

NOW FOR PQ preorder stuff!
yYIg269.jpg

Clearfiles - preorder item from Famitsu DX pack

tumblr_n5huk6Uto91si48w3o1_250.jpg

Clearfile - Medialand

tumblr_n5huk6Uto91si48w3o2_r1_1280.jpg

Mini-tapresty - WonderGOO

NFjEaqN.jpg

Chie/Yukiko Telecard - asobit

KwXn0dF.jpg

deskmat - anibro

1MU8g7t.jpg

glasses case (with cleaner) + (animate set only) charms - Animate

QVJMhAT.jpg
0ugOZzw.jpg

glasses case (with cleaner) -AmiAmi

IiVL5c2.jpg

CD + metal charm - HMV

sWWHcU3.jpg

card sticker - Enterking

Tt9cEaP.jpg

Microfiber cloth - chara-ani

ACgLReD.jpg

QUO card - COMG!

eYP1RiU.jpg
2j4vsWl.jpg

clearfiles - Sanyodo

Hcc896V.jpg

keychains - Stellaworth

F9dMmf3.jpg

card case - Takarajima

qenn7q8.jpg

microfiber cloth - Trader

HYVXcjq.jpg

3DS XL skin - neowing

qiOGzRp.jpg

book card(???) - fammys

7b1CQYG.jpg

cushion keychain - famima

25F1V05.jpg

clearfile - futaba books

hCpZapI.jpg

Teddie keychain - Media World

Kq3KSGd.jpg

special bromide - mmk
source

CorvoSol

I don't care what you all say.

ADOLF HITLER
LIVES. AND HE IS AN IMMORTAL ALIEN SPACE WIZARD.

WHAT IN THE BLUE FUCK IS GOING ON IN THIS GAME.

CorvoSol

In all seriousness, I don't really think this character is a big spoiler. I kinda made my post because everything in it was so ridiculous I didn't expect any of it to be considered big spoilers, but in particular I really don't see this character as being a big thing. You're told well before the point I'm at that a character of this name exists and is behind what's going on, and all the hilarious nonsense that accompanies the reveal is a painfully blatant ploy by the writers to distract you from the real big deal in that scene:
that someone has been replaced by a Shadow Self.
and as a discussion point, this big name character sorta also distracts away from the underlying actual plot relevant stuff going on in the game at the time.

Sorta how I feel anyway, but I do apologize to those who feel I've ruined something for them, and will endeavor to keep talk of this character behind spoilers, I guess.

Squire

Banned
I would take a Persona game that was essentially like an animated Disney musical in the vein of something like Jungle Book/Mulan/Hercules/Lion King/Aladdin (not plot-wise but just mix of music between story beats etc etc)

That shit would be cool

No lies detected.

abrack08

In all seriousness, I don't really think this character is a big spoiler. I kinda made my post because everything in it was so ridiculous I didn't expect any of it to be considered big spoilers, but in particular I really don't see this character as being a big thing. You're told well before the point I'm at that a character of this name exists and is behind what's going on, and all the hilarious nonsense that accompanies the reveal is a painfully blatant ploy by the writers to distract you from the real big deal in that scene:
that someone has been replaced by a Shadow Self.
and as a discussion point, this big name character sorta also distracts away from the underlying actual plot relevant stuff going on in the game at the time.

Sorta how I feel anyway, but I do apologize to those who feel I've ruined something for them, and will endeavor to keep talk of this character behind spoilers, I guess.

Eh, it doesn't seem to be a really important story spoiler, it's more like a movie trailer spoiling the best jokes in a comedy. My reaction was what yours kinda looks like,
"OMG HITLER ALIENS MAYANS WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"
. If someone sees that posts then gets to that part in the game it's like... "Oh, here's the weird part I read about online, that's not too surprising"

CorvoSol

Eh, it doesn't seem to be a really important story spoiler, it's more like a movie trailer spoiling the best jokes in a comedy. My reaction was what yours kinda looks like,
"OMG HITLER ALIENS MAYANS WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"
. If someone sees that posts then gets to that part in the game it's like... "Oh, here's the weird part I read about online, that's not too surprising"

Certainly, and that was something I didn't consider when I made my post and for that I'm sorry, but it isn't like a "Gandalf comes back!" level spoiler or whatever is all I'm getting at. Shoot, some people might be more encouraged to play it knowing it.

Nocturne is just a depressing game to play holy crap. It's like the polar opposite of P4.

Yes! YES! YES!!!

I don't care what you all say.

ADOLF HITLER
LIVES. AND HE IS AN IMMORTAL ALIEN SPACE WIZARD.

WHAT IN THE BLUE FUCK IS GOING ON IN THIS GAME.

Yes! YES! YES!!!

We also should put into account that the game is 15 years old.

But he wore shades and everything to hide himself, only to be outed by Corvo.

abrack08

We also should put into account that the game is 15 years old.

Hmm I don't think that's fair in this case. It wasn't released in NA/EU until 2011 (and probably didn't sell many copies). We spoiler-tag P3 and P4, but they've been available outside of Japan longer and more people have played them. I also don't think there's a time limit that makes spoilers ok, but that's another issue.

CorvoSol

One way or the other, I apologize for ruining it for those who cared. That wasn't nice of me and I'm sorry that I did a shitty thing.

Now let's talk about a thing:

They really didn't bother hiding
Shadow Maya
at all.

One way or the other, I apologize for ruining it for those who cared. That wasn't nice of me and I'm sorry that I did a shitty thing.

Shadow Maya
at all.

Well, to be fair, at that point, they never really had a Shadow Self quite like those until that point, now they are super common.

CrazyDude

Hmm I don't think that's fair in this case. It wasn't released in NA/EU until 2011 (and probably didn't sell many copies). We spoiler-tag P3 and P4, but they've been available outside of Japan longer and more people have played them. I also don't think there's a time limit that makes spoilers ok, but that's another issue.

I am not saying it shouldn't have been spoiler tagged, just that it's easy to see why he made the mistake.

Yu Narukami

When can we realistically expect some P5 news? I'm asking because I'm playing P4 right now and I'm at the
normal ending
dungeon and I'm so sad that it's going to end soon.

Soriku

SMT Nocturne is depressing? I felt bad for how the Manikins get shafted, but P3/P4 have sadder moments to their stories. Actually I didn't think Nocturne was sad at all...

Acid08

Banned

Shadow Maya
at all.
Everyone: Huh, Maya sure is acting weird! Oh well!

Me: HER EYES ARE NOW BRIGHT YELLOW ARE YOU PEOPLE STUPID

Jachaos

When can we realistically expect some P5 news? I'm asking because I'm playing P4 right now and I'm at the
normal ending

Normal ending ? Which dungeon ? There might be quite a bit left. Either way, I'm hoping Persona 5 news don't
do?
come via a stream of two men riding each other and groping a mascot's crotch.

Soma

SMT Nocturne is depressing? I felt bad for how the Manikins get shafted, but P3/P4 have sadder moments to their stories. Actually I didn't think Nocturne was sad at all...

Depressing can also signify tone rather than just story moments.

There's a very distant and cold atmosphere that is present in a lot of the game despite it having a few weird light moments here and there. I mean traveling around a spherical Tokyo that just completely got blown the fuck up with very very few humans remaining (
and having all your remaining friends go insane shortly afterwards
) is kiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of a downer compared to something like P4's Inaba for example.

That said I found that there's also plenty of depressing moments in the story like
learning about Hijiri's fate
for example.

CrazyDude

normal ending

They have been too silent about the game. I would at least like some character portraits.

CorvoSol

Well, to be fair, at that point, they never really had a Shadow Self quite like those until that point, now they are super common.

That's not what I meant, though. That
she behaves very differently and looks very different at a point when the game has warned you that you might be getting replaced makes her stand out.

So let's talk about what happened in Mt. Iwato in Persona 2

So as it happens the impetus for everything happening is that our intrepid child heroes messed up as kids and what would have been a relatively harmless prank escalated when Tatsuya "My names is excessively like the protagonist's for the sake of confusing the FUCK out for the player" Sudou shows up and sets fire to shit. Thus leading him down the path to being King Leo and turning Jun to being Joker etc etc etc. How this ties into the Hitler plotline has yet to be explained, just as how Jun giving Tats-man his lighter has yet to really be entirely fleshed out into the whole "when does what happen" thing.

The hot topic for this section of the game is obviously Shadow Maya. How she originated is not yet entirely clear to me, since Shadow Selves in Persona 1 and Persona 4 sorta pop out in the Shadow World, whether that's Another Mikage or inside the TV. Her behavior sorta seems at odds with the behavior of Maki's Shadow and the Shadows in P4 as well, because 1) She doesn't seem entirely interested in replacing Maya, the way Pandora was interested in replacing Maki, and 2) she can use a Persona, which was sort of an odd thing that Maki!Ideal could do, but which P4A sorta makes a plot point of saying can't be done? Unless I misunderstood that and it's really that a person cannot wield their Persona when their Shadow Self is manifesting and not specifically that a Shadow Self or a Shadow cannot wield a Persona, since both Maki!Ideal and Teddie do just that.

Most of all, though, is I'm not entirely certain what aspects of Maya Shadow Maya is meant to be representing or accentuating. She seems very opposite of Maya in that she's rather mean spirited and extremely unforgiving, and that unwillingness to forgive and desire for vengeance certainly plays into the fact that the other members of the group and desirous to be forgiven and afraid of her retribution, but I'm not sure how exactly it ties into Maya. Of further note is that in the fight with her Shadow Self Maya wields her Persona, which would suggest that at this point the concept of Shadows and Personas as being tied to one another doesn't exist, but which can also be handwaved away by pointing out that every character in these first two games has the power to change Personas and that that might figure in somehow.

It was sort of a tough boss fight, but only because she spammed the fuck out of Mahama.

Anyway, now Nazi mechs are raining from the sky over Japan.

And somewhere out there an American general is likely jizzing his pants with glee.

CrazyDude

Everyone: Huh, Maya sure is acting weird! Oh well!

Me: HER EYES ARE NOW BRIGHT YELLOW ARE YOU PEOPLE STUPID

She's also talking like a different person.

That's not what I meant, though. That
she behaves very differently and looks very different at a point when the game has warned you that you might be getting replaced makes her stand out.

So let's talk about what happened in Mt. Iwato in Persona 2

So as it happens the impetus for everything happening is that our intrepid child heroes messed up as kids and what would have been a relatively harmless prank escalated when Tatsuya "My names is excessively like the protagonist's for the sake of confusing the FUCK out for the player" Sudou shows up and sets fire to shit. Thus leading him down the path to being King Leo and turning Jun to being Joker etc etc etc. How this ties into the Hitler plotline has yet to be explained, just as how Jun giving Tats-man his lighter has yet to really be entirely fleshed out into the whole "when does what happen" thing.

The hot topic for this section of the game is obviously Shadow Maya. How she originated is not yet entirely clear to me, since Shadow Selves in Persona 1 and Persona 4 sorta pop out in the Shadow World, whether that's Another Mikage or inside the TV. Her behavior sorta seems at odds with the behavior of Maki's Shadow and the Shadows in P4 as well, because 1) She doesn't seem entirely interested in replacing Maya, the way Pandora was interested in replacing Maki, and 2) she can use a Persona, which was sort of an odd thing that Maki!Ideal could do, but which P4A sorta makes a plot point of saying can't be done? Unless I misunderstood that and it's really that a person cannot wield their Persona when their Shadow Self is manifesting and not specifically that a Shadow Self or a Shadow cannot wield a Persona, since both Maki!Ideal and Teddie do just that.

Most of all, though, is I'm not entirely certain what aspects of Maya Shadow Maya is meant to be representing or accentuating. She seems very opposite of Maya in that she's rather mean spirited and extremely unforgiving, and that unwillingness to forgive and desire for vengeance certainly plays into the fact that the other members of the group and desirous to be forgiven and afraid of her retribution, but I'm not sure how exactly it ties into Maya. Of further note is that in the fight with her Shadow Self Maya wields her Persona, which would suggest that at this point the concept of Shadows and Personas as being tied to one another doesn't exist, but which can also be handwaved away by pointing out that every character in these first two games has the power to change Personas and that that might figure in somehow.

It was sort of a tough boss fight, but only because she spammed the fuck out of Mahama.

Anyway, now Nazi mechs are raining from the sky over Japan.

And somewhere out there an American general is likely jizzing his pants with glee.

About shadow maya, remember the rumors about 5 terrorists that.

I meant more in the sense that the game is devoid of any happiness. Like everything just sucks: every human minus like five people are dead, violence is constant, etc. Not the best choice of words on my part.

Also fuck Isamu, I know
who's ending I'm not choosing.

I would take a Persona game that was essentially like an animated Disney musical in the vein of something like Jungle Book/Mulan/Hercules/Lion King/Aladdin (not plot-wise but just mix of music between story beats etc etc)

That shit would be cool

A persona game where every once in a while everyone spontaneously bursts into song and dance to Meguro tunes would certainly get my money.

Busaiku

It's Golden, my first time playing.
I figure at this point I can still restart on Normal and it'll take me about 1/4 of the time to get where I am now.

It's taking hours to get even a single level.
And I'm only level 11.

Guess Who

Banned
I figure at this point I can still restart on Normal and it'll take me about 1/4 of the time to get where I am now.

And I'm only level 11.

Yeaaaah, I really would not recommend Very Hard if it's your first run through. Only for New Game+, and even then, NG+ has a custom difficulty setting where you can bump up the combat difficulty as well as separately modify the money/exp modifiers.

Depressing can also signify tone rather than just story moments.

There's a very distant and cold atmosphere that is present in a lot of the game despite it having a few weird light moments here and there. I mean traveling around a spherical Tokyo that just completely got blown the fuck up with very very few humans remaining (
and having all your remaining friends go insane shortly afterwards
) is kiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of a downer compared to something like P4's Inaba for example.

That said I found that there's also plenty of depressing moments in the story like
learning about Hijiri's fate
for example.

I would still argue that this

Yu Narukami

Normal ending ? Which dungeon ? There might be quite a bit left. Either way, I'm hoping Persona 5 news don't
do?
come via a stream of two men riding each other and groping a mascot's crotch.

I'm at
Magatsu Inaba
. It's over soon no?

So about P5 news, TGS at the earliest?

And I'm only level 11.

If I'm being honest, I would restart, save V Hard for NG+ because otherwise you are going to need to spend a lot of time grinding and as a result will miss out on a lot of the SLink stuff, which is where the game truely shines.
Thats just my thoughts though, If you like a challenge then stick with it, luckily Golden is significantly easier than vanilla, so make the most of shuffle time and fuse like crazy.

Meia

And I'm only level 11.

Very Hard is more for veterans of the series really. "You already know what you'll be facing, and what persona/moves you'll want in the section you're about to do, so you have to either settle for less and figure out how to get around it since you know mechanics so well, or grind like crazy to the point of unfun."

The mode for new people is normal really, especially if you haven't played any games in the series before. Though Hard will give you more of a challenge without the obnoxious grinding times, it will also be hard since you won't know what to expect. In like 8 hours of time in Yukiko's dungeon I was ready to finish it at lv17 for example(overkill is fun!).

Honestly, if you really like a challenge, I'd just start with Hard and go from there. It's not too bad as long as follow several ideas with how you approach fights(buffs/debuffs are awesome, have well rounded personas on the MC(one of each elemental type is preferred, having an elemental that your party doesn't is required), and keep the MC's personas current with your party's level).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom