• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even hate fanservice, but there's an appropriate time and place for fanservice, and execution is everything. "Nipsuru" just fails on all fronts. It feels like I came across some licentious fanart on Tumblr. Tonally doesn't fit in a game like Persona 4: Arena!!

Exactly my point, its almost as if Atlus was like "alright we know you guys love...anatomy...but keep it tasteful, alright, these are high-schoolers were talking about." and the guy in charge of making Mitsuru's insta-kill portrait was like "wait a minute, this one isn't even a highschooler! that must mean it doesn't apply to her."

Sophia

This conversation finally delivers.

Thank you, PersonaGAF.

I'm still confused as to how the topic went from discussing Ultimax to Mitsuru's breasts and nipples. But hey, I get confused by this thread often. :p

Although I'm actually more baffled as to how you'd fight in an outfit like that without support. That seems like it'd... hurt. Or be discomforting.

We should just totally move on from this conversation, let's just tweak it to another subject...

So playable Rise! Himiko redesign! Your thoughts?

can we stop now?

oh and that was not my point at all pk, but i dont see how an outfit can detract someone's character, as stupid as the outfit is.

PK Gaming

I'm seriously surprised at how calm you guys are. It seems our view points don't align...

can we stop now?

oh and that was not my point at all pk, but i dont see how an outfit can detract someone's character, as stupid as the outfit is.

It's blatant sexualization just for the sake of having it. It's not cool.

EDIT:

Exactly my point, its almost as if Atlus was like "alright we know you guys love...anatomy...but keep it tasteful, alright, these are high-schoolers were talking about." and the guy in charge of making Mitsuru's insta-kill portrait was like "wait a minute, this one isn't even a highschooler! that must mean it doesn't apply to her."

You totally get me.

We should just totally move on from this conversation, let;s just tweak it to another subject...

So playable Rise! Himiko redesign! Your thoughts?

I hope it does this awesome thing like when Paildramon turned into Imperialdramon Fighter Mode.

That would be awesome.

Maybe it'll have guns

Or that satellite dish can FINALLY shoot lasers

Rise to have Mystic Ray and be best character confirmed

Sophia

can we stop now?

I totally didn't care much for Makoto at first because of her outfit, actually. It was only after I realized she's awesome did I start caring.

Don't judge a book by it's cover and all that, I guess.

Is there a link to a less blurry Himiko redesign?

I am curious too, if there's a link we can post legit. It was hard to tell much from Famitsu's preview image.

This is how I'm feeling right now about this conversation..
YukinoISAnnoyed.png
MayaISannoy.png

Character design is everything. I don't know anything about this Makoto character, but a character's design should reflect the character themselves. If it's unfitting to the character (and not purposefully so, like cross-dressing Yosuke), then I think it could detract from the character. The more things on a character that are firing on all cylinders the better.

Sophia

I hope someone calls her on that bullcrap. Like, "Why didn't you bust that shit out during the investigation? Did you think telling us there are five enemies left was more important than actually fighting?"

It'll probably have some plot justification for mutating. She did mention her disgust at being kidnapped again.

PK Gaming

I totally didn't care much for Makoto at first because of her outfit, actually. It was only after I realized she's awesome did I start caring.

Don't judge a book by it's cover and all that, I guess.

I am curious too, if there's a link we can post legit. It was hard to tell much from Famitsu's preview image.

Exactly

I wrote off Makoto for the same reasons, but after playing BB, she actually ended up being pretty great character. And it now bothers me that other people probably wrote her off for those exact same reasons. All because someone decided it was a good idea to design her like that.

I'm glad it's pretty much limited to Mitsuru in P4A, but it's still not right.

You know, now that I think about it, P4A is one of the least sexualized modern fighters I have ever played, that says a lot about modern fighters.

No, not even modern fighters, fighters in general.

Oh and this has no bearing on anything, but P4G has more sexualized content than P4A, again, no bearing on anything.

Squire

Banned
You have to remember things like pre-order DLC, first day DLC, etc, etc? They're done to increase day one sales and get more people to pay full price. Atlus games typically have a long shelf life however. So the content would have to be pretty significant to convince people, otherwise it raises the question of "Why even bother?"

Plus given Atlus USA's history of including physical pre-order goods, and how it appears to work out well, I wonder why they didn't just do that again.

You're assuming they didn't. They could very well be bundling some sort of physical good with the package in addition to this, in the states if nowhere else. It could very well be, as I expect, as these things very typically are - just a fun bonus.

My estimation of the core mainstream gamer (the type companies push pre-orders to) is that they don't expect much from this stuff and in my own experience, not much seems to go into it. So if you have examples of this content that must be so substantial and appealing, I'd love to see them. I'm sure there are a few, but they've certainly eluded me. Again, this stuff almost never matters.

hao chi

I hope someone calls her on that bullcrap. Like, "Why didn't you bust that shit out during the investigation? Did you think telling us there are five enemies left was more important than actually fighting?"

B-but apparently telling everyone you have no idea what the enemy's weaknesses and strengths are is considered a vital team role in the Persona universe.

Silky

Banned
You know, now that I think about it, P4A is one of the least sexualized modern fighters I have ever played, that says a lot about modern fighters.

No, not even modern fighters, fighters in general.

Huh.

--
I don't think Mitsuru's outfit is hypersexualized at all. if anything I think Aigis and chie are more eyebrow-raising than Mitsuru. but that conversation's gone and went. no need to mettle in it anymore.

I like that challenge tower thing in P4U2. It's still intended to hit in 2014 for US, right

I get out of GAF for 1 hour and when I come back to this threat all I see is nipple-talk....which isn't really weird for PGAF anyways

Huh.

--
I don't think Mitsuru's outfit is hypersexualized at all. if anything I think Aigis and chie are more eyebrow-raising than Mitsuru. but that conversation's gone and went. no need to mettle in it anymore.

I like that challenge tower thing in P4U2. It's still intended to hit in 2014 for US, right

Yep, September 16th, 2014, two days before my birthday.

Also yea, I really meant what I said lol, but that kind of thing doesn't even really bother me that much so it doesn't matter.

FeMC's reaction to this Rise/Ken news:

Bl4f1fLCUAA-OGQ.png:large

PK Gaming

Huh.

I don't think Mitsuru's outfit is hypersexualized at all.

I guess you're entitled to your opinion (even though I vehemently disagree. Nipples don't work that way at all, goddamnit)

EDIT: Actually, i'm down with her outfit, but the IK portrait is just... ugh.

if anything I think Aigis and chie are more eyebrow-raising than Mitsuru. but that conversation's gone and went. no need to mettle in it anymore.

What?!

Also yea, I really meant what I said lol, but that kind of thing doesn't even really bother me that much so it doesn't matter.

You can see her shattered non canon heart on that smile

Silky

Banned
A girl wearing shorts under her skirt and kicking. How eyebrow-raising.

It's the same thing with Sakura (Street Fighter) and her spritework--too many unnecessary butt/upskirt shots for a teenage girl.

Doesn't help that Sakura has never been officially depicted with wearing a pair of pants

I'm pretty sure those are skorts, so its not really that bad. What about Aigis?

this is something that boils down to personal taste, but with Aigis and her design in general I find her to be more appealing clothed instead of her robotic parts being exposed.

FluxWaveZ

It's the same thing with Sakura and her spritework--too many unnecessary butt/upskirt shots for a teenage girl.

But... her fighting style is kicking? Would you have preferred they gave her pants? How else would you handle this?

And I don't pay attention to upskirt shots while I'm watching or playing a fighting game.

this is something that boils down to personal taste, but with Aigis and her design in general I find her to be more appealing clothed instead of her robotic parts being exposed.

I'm pretty sure she wears the same clothes that she wore in P3 except for the tie.. She never really exposed her robotic parts.

Acid08

Banned

How can she react to something when she doesn't exist?

PK Gaming

It's the same thing with Sakura and her spritework--too many unnecessary butt/upskirt shots for a teenage girl.

But her moveset consists of kicking... I'd argue that it's the opposite of unnecessary (and besides, you only really get to see her shorts in a handful of animations anyway...)

http://shadowasks.tumblr.com/page/2

Squire

Banned
You're reachin' for the stars there, Silky.

Who was it who told us in a previous thread that Hashino won't do P1/2 stuff out of respect and the fact he didn't create those games?

Was it Daimiou? I'm not pointing fingers, but I genuinely want to know since I guess I tweeted that piece of trivia ( or just mentioned it in another thread) at some point, but it's apparently not true so someone is quite offended by it.

I definitely didn't make it up. I think it's entirely plausible, but I haven't read anywhere near enough interviews with them to pull something like that out of thin air.

Daimaou

She wears pants on the camping trip, but there's no full body art of that.

Who was it who told us in a previous thread that Hashino won't do P1/2 stuff out of respect and the fact he didn't create those games?

Was it Daimiou? I'm not pointing fingers, but I genuinely want to know since I guess I tweeted that piece of trivia ( or just mentioned it in another thread) at some point, but it's apparently not true so someone is quite offended by it.

I definitely didn't make it up. I think it's entirely plausible, but I haven't read anywhere near enough interviews with them to pull something like that out of thin air.

It's something I've said, but I couched it as speculation, as I always do in such cases.

Sophia

I think that piece of trivia was taken sorely out of context. I do remember hearing it before. Potentially one of the old AtlusNet articles?

Silky

Banned
It's what I thought, and I wanted to share it I guess. :/ I mean it's not a big deal regardless, I'll still enjoy the games either way, but if we were to look at the games in that light, those would be the things I'd be irked by

; A;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom