• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI Nippon-Yasan has the Dancing all night Vita bundle for preorder for 32,800 JPY, good place to purchases from if you wanna avoid paying for customs:
playstation-vita-persona-4-dancing-all-night-premium-crazy-box.jpg
playstation-vita-persona-4-dancing-all-night-premium-crazy-box.jpg
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/playstation-vita-japan/11029-playstation-vita-persona-4-dancing-all-night-premium-crazy-box.html

Guess Who

Banned
Guys how is story mode for P4U and P4U2? Is it worth getting it just for the story? How long is it?

No idea on estimated length - several hours, but nowhere near as long as P4 proper - but they're difficult to recommend just for story. Arena 1 is okay, but Ultimax is pretty bad all around.

Guys how is story mode for P4U and P4U2? Is it worth getting it just for the story? How long is it?

Hard to say. YMMV. Most of the joy comes from the crossover than the story itself.
Arena 1's story is better than Ultimax though.

If you get the first arena game post here so I can tell you which stories to play to avoid repetition.

The DLC's the best part of the story in Ultimax. That's probably in part due to its brevity.

EDIT:

Alright. My guesses for the cast.

Ryuji: Laid back personality, but probably letting out a lot of steam by fighting.

Anzu/Anne: Going by the Catwoman getup, I'd guess a degree of playfulness. I'm getting a kind of Rise vibe, but hopefully not as heavy-handed.

Morgana: The characters' guide, with more of an idea as to what's going on than Teddie.

Nimby

Banned
So does anyone want to take a guess at each character's personality? I'm bored and trying to avoid studying as long as possible.

Ryuji: The trouble-maker, headstrong, and very direct. Less sensible than Yosuke and Junpei, but not as girl-crazed. Likes to fight.

Anzu/Anne: Friendly, but cold when she needs to be.

Morgana: Hard to tell, hopefully not Teddie 2.0
it's Teddie 2.0 :|

I feel like these were the kids I would avoid in high school. They're not gonna take your shit.

FluxWaveZ

One for Rise with the Shadows in the background being unable to imagine the step:

hrONN35.gif

I tried thinking up a reason behind the various dance stages that have been shown so far... I've got nothing. Why's Nanako there? Is Kanami going to be facing off Shadows? Why are Shadows unable to handle dancing? Maybe the Investigation Team should have tried dancing in Persona 4.

This game's going to be amusingly silly. I want an online versus mode.

I've never played a rhythm game before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are individual characters usually tied to particular songs? Or do you pick whatever character/song combination you want?

Rhapsody

Banned
I've never played a rhythm game before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are individual characters usually tied to particular songs? Or do you pick whatever character/song combination you want?
Usual rhythm games let you choose whatever character with whatever song.

Jachaos

Ryuji : A fan of arcade fighting games and manga. Is very laid back but has a short fuse when provoked by enemies. Mischievous, a trouble-maker. Respects his friends right from the get go but teases them to no end. Does not care for much except for the present. Sucks at school. Enjoys coffee.

Anne/Anzu : Does not care for school either. Knows all the gossip going around. Playful. Bites back when teased. Is pretty smart when she's serious about something. Is of the Lovers arcana. Is interested in beauty and fashion talk and will be happy when another girl joins the team.

Morgana : Knows stuff the others don't about whatever event happened. Turns out to be an antagonist.

The animations from the parts where they're in the city during the day and from the café give off some info I feel.

FluxWaveZ

In Project Diva f, there's a "main" character for any given song (or set of characters for duets), but you can go in the options and choose anyone you want for whichever song you want. The characters all have similar body types, though, which fits with the mocap that is pre-set for any song. In P4D, it'd be hard to imagine picking Nanako for a 'Kanji song', if that's how it worked.

Rhythm games don't usually have story modes like this, so I'm guessing there won't be character choice like that in that mode. For modes outside of that, you'll probably be able to choose anyone you want for any song.

Lunar15

One for Rise with the Shadows in the background being unable to imagine the step:

hrONN35.gif

I tried thinking up a reason behind the various dance stages that have been shown so far... I've got nothing. Why's Nanako there? Is Kanami going to be facing off Shadows? Why are Shadows unable to handle dancing? Maybe the Investigation Team should have tried dancing in Persona 4.

This game's going to be amusingly silly. I want an online versus mode.

What's up with those "buff people in dresses" cardboard cutouts on the stage behind her? Is this Kanji's stage?

There will surely be default characters for the songs, but you should be able to change them at will.

In Project Diva f, there's a "main" character for any given song (or set of characters for duets), but you can go in the options and choose anyone you want for whichever song you want. The characters all have similar body types, though, which fits with the mocap that is pre-set for any song. In P4D, it'd be hard to imagine picking Nanako for a 'Kanji song', if that's how it worked.

Rhythm games don't usually have story modes like this, so I'm guessing there won't be character choice like that in that mode. For modes outside of that, you'll probably be able to choose anyone you want for any song.

The idea of default/main characters for particular songs seems like a really good fit for the story mode, so it'll be interesting to so if they go that route.

Stuff like this is one thing I really like about these Persona spin-offs into completely new genres though, I'm motivated to try types of games I've never really been interested in before.

Rhapsody

Banned
The idea of default/main characters for particular songs seems like a really good fit for the story mode, so it'll be interesting to so if they go that route.

Stuff like this is one thing I really like about these Persona spin-offs into completely new genres though, I'm motivated to try types of games I've never really been interested in before.

I'm a little surprised you haven't really played rhythm games. Although I suppose they did sort of fade out for the past while.

I'm a little surprised you haven't really played rhythm games. Although I suppose they did sort of fade out for the past while.

Well, I played games like Guitar Hero, but that was only ever at parties. Not to mention those games are completely different from DAN, outside a strict definition of genre. I've heard a lot of good things about some of the Miku games, but just never picked one up for various reasons.
My sense of rhythm sucks.

Guestimate on the P5 cast:

My guess. I think I was a little too conservative...

Don't forget the unknown character/Morgana's other form that jumps off the Soejima sign.

Hey guys, I just finished Persona Q tonight...I just posted an update in the 52 games in a year thread, but I thought I'd post what I said here as well since I wanted to share how I feel about it.

Game #5 - Persona Q : Shadow of the Labyrinth
Time: Approx 57+ hours

20140610115033!PersonaQBoxart.jpg

I only started playing this game after the beginning of the month, but I was hooked on it for a while. Kept coming back to it in between my school work, and sinking in as much time as I could. I had never played an Etrian Odyssey game before, so I wasn't really sure what to expect from this game. At first I found the gameplay systems kinda fun and interesting, but over the course of the game, they did start to wear pretty thin. The rate of enemy encounters, and the rate at which your characters gain experience felt tedious and exhausting by the time I got to the last 2 dungeons. So while I may have not had the most fun actually playing it by the time it was over, I still enjoyed the experience.

Persona 4 is one of my top favorite games, and to play another RPG with those characters made the experience worth it for me. I've never been a big fan of Persona 3 though...but this game at least made the characters more likeable than they were before to me. I could tell the writing and production of this game was handled by Atlus, because it sure did have their level of quality for story, writing and music, it's just the gameplay itself didn't quite live up to their standard to me.

I thought the new characters introduced in this were also quite well done and likeable.
I almost felt I could have predicted that the story involved some tragedy with Rei, but it was still well executed. I felt real sad at the end when her and Zen walked off together. I'm real bummed though that none of the P3 and P4 characters remember the events...sure it doesn't make sense for them to remember for continuity sake, but it almost seems tragic that they forget Rei and their experience meeting her. That was kinda the thing she was upset about, that her live had no meaning. She brought so much to them, but for the memory of her to be gone after the event seems sad. At least Zen was with her I guess.

I might pick this up again one day and play from the P3 side. Not sure how different of an experience that would be, but it felt like a worthy Persona game to me, despite it's flaws.

Perhaps, but I think it's more about keeping an element that fleshes out daily life, in Persona 5's case. It would be a bummer if, going from Persona 4, weather was pretty much static for most days in P5. Varying the weather as a result, it only makes sense that they would also indicate weather changes or forecasts to the player directly.

I agree that having lots of variety in the weather is nice, but if it didn't matter at all for the game itself would they bother putting that information on the screen?

Dantis

They look so much better now, yeah.

Er, no they don't.

Rise's art is miles worse. She's slimmer, her eyes are bigger, and her stance has changed to be more 'anime girly'.

She's basically been cutesy'd up.

Chie and Kanji's portraits (Which are done in the old style, weirdly Actually, maybe not.) are excellent though.

FluxWaveZ

I agree that having lots of variety in the weather is nice, but if it didn't matter at all for the game itself would they bother putting that information on the screen?

I think so. If they had spent time figuring out algorithms and design for a weather system (and it's certainly something they spent a lot of time figuring out), I don't know if there'd be much value in hiding that data. Just makes the world feel more lively, in a small way. It could be important to the story, though.

On a separate note, I knew I was right to think this was suspicious:
Minor update regarding the "Storie" trademark: I don't know when this changed, but the applicant for it on the trademark file—previously Atlus Co., Ltd.—has changed to Index Corporation. This would explain why Index is the owner of the "storie.jp" domain instead of Atlus.

It most likely still involves Atlus, though, as Persona Stalker Club is an Index Corporation registered trademark as well (not to mention games like Catherine or Radiant Historia that are still registered under Index). Perhaps Index is still the one that would handle that kind of legal stuff in Atlus' stead.

Edit: Huh... again, I'm not sure when this happened—it had to be somewhat recently (within the past two weeks)—but, from what I can tell, any/every trademark that was previously registered under Atlus is now registered under Index. Even stuff that goes way back like the Odin Sphere or the Persona: Trinity Soul trademark. I know this wasn't the case before.
It seems that Atlus has been consolidated into Index once more, which would explain all the trademark holder changes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Er, no they don't.

Rise's art is miles worse. She's slimmer, her eyes are bigger, and her stance has changed to be more 'anime girly'.

She's basically been cutesy'd up.

Kinda makes sense. Didn't she go back to work in the idol industry?

Dantis

Kinda makes sense. Didn't she go back to work in the idol industry?

I mean, really, it's all preference. The new art is more fitting with her Ultimax portrait. The old portrait made her look older, the new one is, like I say, younger looking and more anime girly.

http://p-ch.jp/news/detail/?nid=250

Looks like we have a writeup of Super Live, the full set list was:

Dance!
Break Out Of...
Maze of LIve
Mass Destruction
Burn My Dread
Tanaka's theme
Pursuing My True Self
Your Affection
Shadow World
Fog
Laser Beam
Fate is in our Hands
Dazzling Smile
One Hand One Heartbeat (More than One Heart I think)
Arena/Ultimax Medley - (Battle for Everyone's Souls, Shadows of the Labyrinth, a Fool or Clown, Heartful Cry)
Never More
Changing Me
Memories of You
Time to Make History
Deep Breath Deep Breath
Light the Fire Up in the Night
Reach out to the Truth

So I guess they didn't perform Light in Starless Sky after all, that's a surprise.

And the Stalker Club on the 27th will be a behind the scenes look.

koutoru

I think so. If they had spent time figuring out algorithms and design for a weather system (and it's certainly something they spent a lot of time figuring out), I don't know if there'd be much value in hiding that data. Just makes the world feel more lively, in a small way. It could be important to the story, though.

On a separate note, I knew I was right to think this was suspicious:

It seems that Atlus has been consolidated into Index once more, which would explain all the trademark holder changes.
That would be odd considering just over a year ago it seemed as if Sega was separating Atlus and its' games from Index while still owning the Index label.
Isn't Index Digital Media supposed to actually be a subsidiary of Atlus now?

Edit: Apparently, there's a second "Index Corporation" label within Sega Sammy for its' "contents and solution businesses".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_Corporation

Still don't see why Atlus would suddenly be absorbed by Index again though.

FluxWaveZ

Edit: Apparently, there's a second "Index Corporation" label within Sega Sammy for its' "contents and solution businesses".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_Corporation

Still don't see why Atlus would suddenly be absorbed by Index again though.

I'm pretty sure that's the same "Index Corporation." There's only one and, on March 31/April 1 2014, both Index and Atlus got new company logos as an indication that they had officially become separate entities.

It is weird that they would be reformed as one once again, with Atlus being an Index subsidiary.
As long as this stuff doesn't really affect Atlus...

grimmiq

So I just finished Persona 3..77 Hours and I don't know what to think.
I'd heard spoilers that MC died..but that was it? Just falling asleep on Aigis' lap?

grimmiq

I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not to play "The Answer", so might take a break as P3 has been pretty much all I've played over the last 2 weeks.

So I just finished Persona 3..77 Hours and I don't know what to think.
I'd heard spoilers that MC died..but that was it? Just falling asleep on Aigis' lap?
Yup, he more or less dies when you defeat Nyx but he hangs on until the reunion day before finally passing on. When I beat it for the first time it took me a minute to connect the dots and I thought it was odd that they ended with the protag taking a nap. Then it all clicked and the ending became a real bummer.

Hikami

I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not to play "The Answer", so might take a break as P3 has been pretty much all I've played over the last 2 weeks.

I did the same when I beat P3, was too burnt out to play any more of it so I took a break. Just recently went back and beat The Answer though. The story sections were great but the dungeon bits were exhausting.. Wish I had just watched the cutscenes on YouTube or something.

I'm more hyped now for P4D than P5 just due to wanting to see Kanji being adorably dorky.
You just don't have the imagination to understand the genius of these steps.
XfbhYqM.gif

I was more excited for DAN than everything else announced on the same stream, but the new P5 trailer has probably pushed my DAN hype down a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom