• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Nintendo Fans:SMTxFE trailer on Nintendo Direct::pGAF:11/24 announcement prior to the P5 segment

I thought it looks awesome even if I'm not quite sure what it's going to be, but man there's a lot of angry/disappointed people out thurr in internet land :(

It definitely looks interesting, but the trailer doesn't give a very good idea of what it's about. As a result, people are exposed to the fanservice first. And the fanservice is not particularly well thought out from that trailer alone. :p

There's also the issue with the fact that SMTxFE was definitely announced too early, and people were allowed to let their imaginations run wild. Those people were always going to be disappointed unless it was incredible levels of quality.

Andrefpvs

Man, fanservice really rubs me the wrong way. I'm not opposed in any way to characters showing off skin or being in sexy situations, but pretty much every fanservice moment is done in a terrible way -- it's too in-your-face, without a defined purpose other than "okay everyone, here's TITS!". It feels tasteless and unrealistic (it was surely jarring in Persona 4 Golden).

I feel if the demographic it panders to raised their standards just a little bit, we could all enjoy sexy situations in games without everyone else feeling alienated by them.

PK Gaming

Nintendo Fans:SMTxFE trailer on Nintendo Direct::pGAF:11/24 announcement prior to the P5 segment

I thought it looks awesome even if I'm not quite sure what it's going to be, but man there's a lot of angry/disappointed people out thurr in internet land :(

I learned my lesson with Persona Q, so i'm cautiously optimistic about SMTxFE this time around.

Squire

Banned

Im all in for it. I'm buying the system because of one your guys games, so congrats; You've done the impossible!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It definitely looks interesting, but the trailer doesn't give a very good idea of what it's about. As a result, people are exposed to the fanservice first. And the fanservice is not particularly well thought out from that trailer alone. :p

There's also the issue with the fact that SMTxFE was definitely announced too early, and people were allowed to let their imaginations run wild. Those people were always going to be disappointed unless it was incredible levels of quality.

I think you nailed the first part. I'm still trying to process what I saw.

If it actually showed SMT characters, I was going to pull a prank about me ordering a Wii U. :p

But alas, that was thrown right out the window after watching the trailer. It looks... OK, I guess.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If I can pick law, neutral and chaos routes filtered through choosing rival idol companies then I could get into it.

This idol company is sponsored by Lucifer.

LX_Theo

Banned
I'm on the cautiously optimistic side of the argument. Fan service was a bit much, but it was very intriguing with a lot of questions raised.

I don't know enough to make any realistic judgement yet (which is the main issue with the trailer over anything).

Then again, maybe I just want a reason to want a Wii U some time down the road. I have to consider that influence.

Atlus USA has so many games this year, I hope everything like Stella Glow AoT Lost Dimension and everything else doesn't delay the one and only game that just really cannot be delayed any further at all… its almost as if the company is taunting us.

The dancing game is obviously a 2015 title but I really wonder about P5 (concern growing)

cj_iwakura

The Wii U requirement is more like the nail in the coffin for me. I think the Wii might be the last console I ever get from them. At least that had the third party gems. I never cared about Nintendo's first party efforts. My Wii would be a paperweight if not for No More Heroes, Muramasa, the Trauma games, and Shikigami 3.

That and the fact that literally the only thing we had to go on was the concept art of characters from other games and a generic city.

DNAbro

Atlus USA has so many games this year, I hope everything like Stella Glow AoT Lost Dimension and everything else doesn't delay the one and only game that just really cannot be delayed any further at all… its almost as if the company is taunting us.

The dancing game is obviously a 2015 title but I really wonder about P5 (concern growing)

i don't think you have to worry.

Lunar15

SMTxFE ended up making persona seem less anime, which is pretty incredible.

So, now that the pretense of SMT and FE are gone, I can safely ignore that game, as I would have done were it announced without the two titles attached to it. Does not look good.

Yes, there's more to be seen, but I dunno. Nothing seemed that compelling and it looked like your average anime RPG. Do we even know which atlus team is working on it?

Squire

Banned

It can totally be delayed.

Squire

Banned
SMTxFE ended up making persona seem less anime, which is pretty incredible.

So, now that the pretense of SMT and FE are gone, I can safely ignore that game, as I would have done were it announced without the two titles attached to it. Does not look good.

Yes, there's more to be seen, but I dunno. Nothing seemed that compelling and it looked like your average anime RPG. Do we even know which atlus team is working on it?

It's the Devil Survivor producer, so presumably his team.

A lot of these posts are going to be funny in a few months, I think.

Lunar15

definitely not an impression on the level of p5 i'll say that much. lol

I actually kind of feel like the trailer was kind of the culmination of our "worst fears" about what P5 could be, some kind of sickly-sweet, super anime game that took more of the anime tropes of P4 and ran with them.

We really dodged a bullet with P5, and now I can kind of see that. Illusory Revelations#FE could be a perfectly fine game, but in terms of initial impressions.. it wasn't favorable.

It's the Devil Survivor producer, so presumably his team.

A lot of these posts are going to be funny in a few months, I think.

It is kind of funny to me that neither the SMT team nor the FE team is working on SMTxFE.

As for eating crow, it'll probably happen. This whole reveal has caused me to be really uncharacteristic of myself. I'm hardly ever bitter about game reveals, and I'm usually pretty optimistic. But this one hit hard, I guess. We had too much time to play with the concept of SMTxFE that, when it arrived as neither, it was just so jarring.

Jintor

I don't know what the game is 'about'. There's no cohesive "oh hey this is what we're about". I got some mishmash of tropes and dancing and colours and some FE-looking things.

Of course it doesn't help I don't know jack about SMT so I guess it's all moot anyway

Squire

Banned
It is kind of funny to me that neither the SMT team nor the FE team is working on SMTxFE.

As for eating crow, it'll probably happen. This whole reveal has caused me to be really uncharacteristic of myself. I'm hardly ever bitter about game reveals, and I'm usually pretty optimistic. But this one hit hard, I guess. We had too much time to play with the concept of SMTxFE that, when it arrived as neither, it was just so jarring.

Yeah, they really shouldn't have announced it so quickly with no footage on offer. People had an idea of what it would be and Atlus did what they typically do: Something none of us expected.

I get the sting of it all, but I think it'll fade. The comments from the director make it sound like an Atlus-ass Atlus game. They know what they're doing and I think once they start to really show the game and explain it, it'll be the cats meow.

LX_Theo

Banned
Yeah, they really shouldn't have announced it so quickly with no footage on offer. People had an idea of what it would be and Atlus did what they typically do: Something none of us expected.

I get the sting of it all, but I think it'll fade. The comments from the director make it sound like an Atlus-ass Atlus game. They know what they're doing and I think once they start to really show the game and explain it, it'll be the cats meow.

Pretty sure they only revealed it because Nintendo pressured them to do it so they could bulk up their upcoming lineup way back when.

Guess Who

Banned
I'm pretty confident Atlus USA would prioritize P5 over basically any other game's localization. They aren't going to delay P5 to work on another game, they'll delay the other game to finish up P5.

Going by this statement with Shinjiro Takada, SMT barely seems like an afterthought.

His wording frames this game as 'modern-day Fire Emblem made by Atlus' instead of the SMT/Fire Emblem crossover we were lead to believe with the first trailer. It makes me wonder when and why SMT appears to have taken a back seat to FE.

cj_iwakura

Going by this statement with Shinjiro Takada, SMT barely seems like an afterthought.

His wording frames this game as 'modern-day Fire Emblem made by Atlus' instead of the SMT/Fire Emblem crossover we were lead to believe with the first trailer. It makes me wonder when and why SMT appears to have taken a back seat to FE.

You can more easily shift FE into a light-hearted game like this than you can SMT characters. No one would buy the Demi-Fiend or Aleph appearing bright and happy like the ones we've seen.

Nachos

Of course it doesn't help I don't know jack about SMT so I guess it's all moot anyway
In my case, it just made me even more confused, aside from seeing some similarities typical between SMT dungeons and two of the areas they quickly panned through.

I'm back to being cautiously optimistic, but I think part of the problem with the trailer is that it doesn't really showcase the game's roots very well. Some of the designs are clearly references to Fire Emblem characters, but there's nothing there to convey the SMT side of the equation or anything related to the gameplay of either series.

It's weird, because the Persona 5 and #FE trailers seem to show a lot of content from their games, but only one gives you a sense of how the game will actually be and a sense of how the scenes'll gel.

Squire

Banned
Pretty sure they only revealed it because Nintendo pressured them to do it so they could bulk up their upcoming lineup way back when.

Oh, that's certainly the case. And really, it's not that bad. 90% of the people posting in the thread right now are going to buy it regardless. No skin off Arlus' nose.

You can more easily shift FE into a light-hearted game like this than you can SMT characters. No one would buy the Demi-Fiend or Aleph appearing bright and happy like the ones we've seen.

That's the thing. That trailer looked light-hearted even by FE standards.

If they couldn't come up with a way for the casts to work in a shared setting (say, a tonal middle-ground), then they would have been better off just showing the company logos rather than characters in that first trailer.

LX_Theo

Banned
If you're taking the time out to comment on it, you probably do or plan to get one.

I'm sure there are a number like me. People who don't have a Wii U, but are interested in it because of SMT and/or Fire Emblem.

I still have no plans to buy a Wii U, but if it turns out good then its on my list if I ever get a deal for one I'd be happy with.

I will say, the trailer did one thing well. It made it clear its not an FE or SMT mainline game. I had assumed it would be some bad crossover if it ever ended up existing in the first place. While the trailer didn't get me to want the game, it did get my attention to keep paying attention to something I wouldn't have otherwise.

But hey, that was me. A lot of people were expecting and wanting the thing that had turned me off it initially.

If you're taking the time out to comment on it, you probably do or plan to get one.

Considering there isn't a single game from either franchise on the Wii U (unless you count Smash, I guess), I doubt that's the case.

EDIT: Just so we're clear, that first trailer had precisely one thing going for it. SMT heroes post-neutral. Since that's obviously not the case anymore, I'm $60 richer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know what the game is 'about'. There's no cohesive "oh hey this is what we're about". I got some mishmash of tropes and dancing and colours and some FE-looking things.

God vs Lucifer vs Man, Law vs Order, the world sucks, moral ambiguity, yadee yadda.

There. You got most of SMT.

LX_Theo

Banned
It doesn't matter, anyway. It's an Atlus game and not Persona. The ceiling is a couple hundred thousand copies. *shrug*

Makes me wonder how much of this is coming out of Nintendo's pocket and how much out of it is coming out of Atlus/Sega's pocket.

The game's budget doesn't look like the ballpark Atlus typically has for these sorts of games, nor does it seem to have a ton of piggybacked assets off their other games.

Squire

Banned
Makes me wonder how much of this is coming out of Nintendo's pocket and how much out of it is coming out of Atlus/Sega's pocket.

The game's budget doesn't look like the ballpark Atlus typically has for these sorts of games, nor does it seem to have a ton of piggybacked assets off their other games.

I imagine Nintendos paying for it. It looks somewhat expensive, for Atlus. Graphically it looks as good as P5, if not better.

DNAbro

How comes?

Simply the fact that its Atlus's biggest game of the year. If Atlus USA has time for all these other games, I don't think they would take on other projects if it would hurt P5.

I imagine Nintendos paying for it. It looks somewhat expensive, for Atlus. Graphically it looks as good as P5, if not better.
Ehh disagree. P5 looks like it has much higher production values and is stylistically better.

FluxWaveZ

Simply the fact that its Atlus's biggest game of the year. If Atlus USA has time for all these other games, I don't think they would take on other projects if it would hurt P5.

Alright. I also understand the reasonable pessimist perspective when it comes to this, though. I can see a case where Persona 5 is pushed back because the loss they would incur from a delay wouldn't be as large as the loss they would incur if they didn't get the other 2015 localized titles they're releasing out there. Thoughts like that.

Wonder if Nintendo Persona is going to go up against Sony Persona. They're different platforms, but two big Atlus console RPGs going against each other, considering their dedicated fanbase, probably wouldn't be the greatest idea.

Squire

Banned

Ehh disagree. P5 looks like it has much higher production values and is stylistically better.

I agree. That's also not what I said. The raw assets in SMT x FE look noticeably better than P5. P5 had art direction on its side though, yes.

Edit: You guys took "graphics" far more broadly than what I meant.

LX_Theo

Banned

Hmm... Disagree. Been watching the trailer a number of times (catchy song). A lot of the actual in game graphics don't look all that great. There are the animated cutscenes and other prerendered cutscenes that are reminiscent of FE:A prerendered cutscenes, but it in itself doesn't look all that great.

I'd put it on the level of Tales of Xillia for graphical quality (with better animations and more lighting effects). Persona 5 has a sort of cohesiveness and crispness to it that makes it look considerably better. No idea if the difference make the budget notably different, though. Could just be artstyle and development team quality (I have a hard time believing their top guys are heading up this project)

Squire

Banned
I think you guys are just really pleased with the art. Watch both trailers back to back. The assets are definitely better in FE. The FE characters are particularly more detailed than anyone in the P5 trailer. And that could change, given they haven't shown a ton of the demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom