• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lusankya

Two character slots left? I haven't been following all the news but is this actually confirmed or are you basing it of the two "empty slots" on the website?

We also have this:

P4D-Famitsu-DX-Pack-Posters.jpg

Nanako was recently added to the mini posters.

muteki

I'm pretty sure this is recent with the new update: the official website's character pages have started revealing costumes which will actually be DLC.

"Free DLC", at least in this case. Looks like all the ski trip outfits.

Wonder if it is timed, because there is DLC included in the special editions but haven't heard about anything else.

Not a big fan of the mix in Naoto's video, but everything else looks great. More energy there than Yukiko at least. Also I guess this means we will get Margaret and Elizabeth costumes for somebody at somepoint.

We are nearly 2 months out and have for sure, what 2 more character trailers to go?

arue

Naoto P4D trailer is up

New outfits:
Sherlock Holmes, Velvet Room outfits. WHERE'S MY GIRL YASO UNIFORM

BEST TRAILER.

But seriously, I wasn't expecting for the Sherlock Holmes and the male velvet room uniform to appear, though I was half expecting the butler uniform to appear. Her dance style also looks pretty normal compared to Kanji and Chie's.
EDIT: I wanted her song to be Shadow World Remix, but it was unlikely anyway since Kanami has the original version.

Heh, Rise is closing an eye in each of the pre-order bonuses:
Dat Soejima artwork.

Setsu00

Dat Soejima artwork.

I'm not so sure about that. Soejima hasn't done any pre order illustrations since Catherine and someone at domerica (the company that was responsible for all pre order illustrations for Ultimax) seems to be able to imitate his style pretty well.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually kind of respect how steadfast they've been with minato, in that they don't trot him out for spin-offs. Other than PQ of course, but at least they did with time shenanigans instead of undoing the events at the end of P3.

I actually kind of respect how steadfast they've been with minato, in that they don't trot him out for spin-offs. Other than PQ of course, but at least they did with time shenanigans instead of undoing the events at the end of P3.
I didnt really like the ending of P3...so Ive been cheering for Elizabeth every since Arena

Setsu00

I didnt really like the ending of P3...so Ive been cheering for Elizabeth every since Arena

The ending of P3 was incredibly well done in my opinion.
It tied in with the game's theme nicely. It wasn't a sad ending just for the sake of being sad or mature, but it was an ending that made complete sense with what the game was trying to say.
So yeah, I hope that Elizabeth fails.

Messiah

It tied in with the game's theme nicely. It wasn't a sad ending just for the sake of being sad or mature, but it was an ending that made complete sense with what the game was trying to say.

I really liked the ending of P3 and then the answer soured it for me.

I hate it, especially with how it was presented.
The whole spend a few months with lost memories before the MC just falls over. Im also not a big fan of sacrifice and messianic characters

Setsu00

The whole spend a few months with lost memories before the MC just falls over. Im also not a big fan of sacrifice and messianic characters

Having Elizabeth save him doesn't make him any less of a messianic character tho.

Having Elizabeth save him doesn't make him any less of a messianic character tho.
no, but it does get around
the whole sacrifice portion

it just doesnt work for me. Its like congrats SEES, you just threw your friend away, GG. Thats all the ending does for me

Random ass PoP 2008 spoilers
This was an ending I loved. Elika throws her life down to imprison the monster, and the Prince says fuck that. Risking how many lives for her. Its a theme I much prefer. Its basically would you sacrifice the one to save the many (P3) versus would you sacrifice (or more likely just risk) the many for the one (PoP). I personally enjoy the latter a lot more. Victory feels hollow when you have to sacrifice someone for it.

PK Gaming

Hah! So I sarcastically suggested that Naoto's song would be Signs of Love, and what do you know, it happened. I guess i'm a Wizard?

Oh hey look who's finally joining the P4AU cast.

It was only a matter of time until this happened. Looking forward to playing as him.

CorvoSol

Boy did you pick the wrong RPG to like, then.

You should probably also avoid Final Fantasy Tactics.

Guys am I hilariously OP for
Clock Tower
in PQ or is it just somehow easier than Inaba Pride was? I murdered the FOE on the first floor. Yu's like, maybe level 75 and everyone else is in the 67-69 range.

Mostly just grindin' for cash for them delicious custom armors now.

Antiwhippy

I dunno, to me P3 was always about finding the meaning and acceptance of death and how it in turns helps you understand what it means to live on. We see that from
Shinjiro dealing with the guilt of murder, Yukari, Ken and mitsuru dealing with the death of their parents and the aftermath, junpei with chidori and Akihiko dealing with Shinjiro's death.
The ending to me was a pretty poignant summation of it.
He/she found his own meaning of his life, and in turn faced death peacefully so others can move on.
Which I usually think is hokey as shit, but I feel that persona 3 did well in building that theme.

DNAbro

This, and this:

Same strategy they used with the Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Persona Q website character hints.

Unlikely. At least, they definitely wouldn't place the "Investigation Team" group in its own character page slot when they already each have their own page. It's set up to be individual characters, so the two remaining slots are most likely two separate characters.

Marie and Margaret

FluxWaveZ

Marie and Margaret

If there are two more characters, Marie's a given. Margaret is likely, too.

I remember how they were hyping up P4AU by revealing a new character every month. With only two P4D character trailers left until all of the currently shown ones have gotten theirs, we might see a reveal sooner than later.

no, but it does get around
the whole sacrifice portion

it just doesnt work for me. Its like congrats SEES, you just threw your friend away, GG. Thats all the ending does for me

I agree. My last thoughts weren't 'OMG it's so bootiful! The theeemes!'
I only thought '
The hell are you smiling about?
'

Besides,
if the story was about accepting that death is inevitable, they did it twice (not counting Junpei who got brought back) without invoking a space whale aesop.

EDIT:
Not to mention each edition of the game keeps adding a new character cheating death.
Stick that in your theme and cremate it.

FluxWaveZ

Besides,
if the story was about accepting that death is inevitable, they did it twice (not counting Junpei who got brought back) without invoking a space whale aesop.

Uh, is it suddenly not okay or, for some reason, amateur writing to
kill off characters
?

When did I say that? I just said there were two instances I approved of.

Oh, I see. But then I don't see why that should have any bearing on other instances; it's not like there should be a set amount of them, and that one was the most poignant of all.

kill off characters
?

When did I say that? I just said there were two instances I approved of.

Oh, I see. But then I don't see why that should have any bearing on other instances; it's not like there should be a set amount of them, and that one was the most poignant of all.
I guess the whole
"Make the most of your life, or the moon will kill everyone cause it can't work on an individual scale"
thing just rings hollow for me.

Dantis

Hah! So I sarcastically suggested that Naoto's song would be Signs of Love, and what do you know, it happened. I guess i'm a Wizard?

Seems like a weird choice to be honest. Not what I would have expected for her. I would have thought that would have been Yukiko's song, I think.

FluxWaveZ

Play-Asia has listed the Asia version of Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Assuming it would release on the same day as the Japanese version, what would be the reasons to not import that one instead of the Japanese one, considering the cheaper price?

kill off characters
?
from my point of view, I prefer
killing a character to sacrificing them
Play-Asia has listed the Asia version of Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Assuming it would release on the same day as the Japanese version, what would be the reasons to not import that one instead of the Japanese one, considering the cheaper price?
Asia versions of a game usually have english translated menus and subtitles
EDIT: so in other words, its usually better

FluxWaveZ

I guess the whole
"Make the most of your life, or the moon will kill everyone cause it can't work on an individual scale"
thing just rings hollow for me.

from my point of view, I prefer
killing a character to sacrificing them

I see. Part of the reason I thought it worked was because SEES was
facing insurmountable odds, that actually were impossible to overcome.
In that sense, Persona 2: Innocent Sin's conclusion is a lot like Persona 3's, and both of them are my favorite endings in the entire Persona series. Persona 4's ending felt like it was trying to imitate its big brother, without feeling like the genuine article.

Asia versions of a game usually have english translated menus and subtitles
EDIT: so in other words, its usually better

Are you sure that's common? At least, it doesn't seem like that's how it would work for an Atlus game, unless the Japanese version already had English menus. I feel like there's gotta be some sort of catch for a cheaper price like that.

In that sense, Persona 2: Innocent Sin's conclusion is a lot like Persona 3's, and both of them are my favorite endings in the entire Persona series. Persona 4's ending felt like it was trying to imitate its big brother, without feeling like the genuine article.

Despite all those games coming from a series where
you beat the living tar out of despotic deities on a regular basis?
I guess I'm forever cursed with the "played P4 and Arena first" mentality.

Dantis

This:

yXbDLo.gif

makes me think of this:

46jc3.gif

And that makes me wonder what Naoto is meant to be doing.

Also, her Velvet Room costume looks shiiiiiiiit. The maid costume doesn't suit her much either, but I have a feeling it might be DLC anyway, seeing as the butler costume is already on the site.

muteki

Unless you don't intend to get any DLC (free or otherwise) or don't mind the hoops you have to jump through to change regions on vita, I'd get the version that matches the region of whatever account you typically use.

FluxWaveZ

Absolutely. From the
Social Link rallying
part, to the
single spell use
part, to the enemy that was actually being faced, everything about the ending from Persona 4 just made me think, "Persona 3 did it better."

Unless you don't intend to get any DLC (free or otherwise) or don't mind the hoops you have to jump through to change regions on vita, I'd get the version that matches the region of whatever account you typically use.

I don't intend to invest in the DLC for an imported version of the game. I do have a Japanese PSN account, though, and I don't have an Asia one. If an Asia one would be as simple to set up as a Japan one, though, it's still hard to think of any reason why I wouldn't just go for the Asia version, especially since it still says it comes with the Persona 5 Blu-ray.

Dantis

I'll have three Vitas once P4D arrives, so I'll be using a Japanese account on one for practice stuff and all the DLC, and then I'll just use my main account once I'm good at the game to grind some trophies.

Kazuhira

This:

Also, her Velvet Room costume looks shiiiiiiiit. The maid costume doesn't suit her much either, but I have a feeling it might be DLC anyway, seeing as the butler costume is already on the site.

I really like both costumes but what do i know? She could be wearing a mara costume and i would still like it lol

I played P3 before 4, I loved 3, love 4 more. The ending of 4 just feels more satisfying to me,ore triumphant less settling for what's expected

muteki

I'll have three Vitas once P4D arrives, so I'll be using a Japanese account on one for practice stuff and all the DLC, and then I'll just use my main account once I'm good at the game to grind some trophies.

Sony really are evil geniuses. Multiple vitas is really the only way to live.

Sophia

I've always felt like the final story arc of Persona 4 feels a bit rushed for that reason. It's like the developers realized that
after capturing the murderer, they suddenly had to wrap up all the remaining plot points they had left hanging, and weren't sure how to do this. If it weren't for the presence of a ton of animated cutscenes at the end of the true ending, the series of events after beating Ameno Saigiri would feel more like the actual ending.

Persona 4 Golden rectified this to some degree, but introduced it's own problems.

In contrast, outside of the question we were all asking ourselves until FES was released, I don't think I had any complaints with P3's ending. Much like with Persona 2, it was a fantastic conclusion to the story.

PK Gaming

We have something in common, you and I.
Guess we're just not... thematic enough. :p

At the end of the day, it's just an opinion so there's no use fretting over which you prefer... but damn, put me down in the camp that thought that P3's ending was so much better than P4s (Keep in mind I played P4G first and liked it way more). Themes aside, the final confrontation against
Nyx
is just incredible.

At the end of the day, it's just an opinion so there's no use fretting over which you prefer... but damn, put me down in the camp that thought that P3's ending was so much better than P4s (Keep in mind I played P4G first and liked it way more). Themes aside, the final confrontation against
Nyx
is just incredible.
P3's final fight was definitely more epic, no argument there. P4's felt like unraveling the mystery, which I thought was still neat, but not as epic.

The only problem I have with P3's ending, isnt the ending itself, but the build up to it.

It seems like the calender system actually hurts the pacing at this point since you have a long time of
doing absolutely nothing. I understand the point of the time, spending it pondering what life means and whether its worth fighting over or accepting a peaceful death (I'm paraphrasing, clearly)
, but damn does it hurt the gameplay at that point in the story.

But then you get the end sequence which is pretty awesome, so all's good.

muteki

My only issue with the P3 ending was the
memory loss, and subsequent return.
. Many events late in the game don't make sense to me because of it, and I don't know why it was really necessary.

I prefer P4's ending, but I may have enjoyed P3s more also had I played FES and not P3P.

Thoughts on P4's ending.

The confrontation with Ameno Sagiri in P4 is the game's climax, full stop. The problem is that P4 doesn't seem to fully realize this, and pulls some of the finality from it and puts it into the Izanami fight, which is more of an epilogue, really. Golden's addition of Marie and her dungeon only further bungles the ending. P4's ending would have been better had they removed the Izanami part and put its exposition of how the three central players got their powers into the Ameno Sagiri encounter (which it more or less already had). Strike Izanami from the plot completely and just have Ameno Sagiri as the true villain. It didn't help that Izanami was like the fourth layer of "actually it was me all along!" to the point that it almost comes across as parody.

Thoughts on P3's ending.

Overall P3's conclusion is much stronger than P4's because it doesn't have this meandering fake out attempt, and I vehemently disagree with anyone who thinks the main character's death should be undone. Vehemently. That said, the amnesia nonsense is pretty unnecessary and was actually incredibly nonsensical. That should have been excised completely.

PK Gaming

Thoughts on P4's ending.

The confrontation with Ameno Sagiri in P4 is the game's climax, full stop. The problem is that P4 doesn't seem to fully realize this, and pulls some of the finality from it and puts it into the Izanami fight, which is more of an epilogue, really. Golden's addition of Marie and her dungeon only further bungles the ending. P4's ending would have been better had they removed the Izanami part and put its exposition of how the three central players got their powers into the Ameno Sagiri encounter (which it more or less already had). Strike Izanami from the plot completely and just have Ameno Sagiri as the true villain. It didn't help that Izanami was like the fourth layer of "actually it was me all along!" to the point that it almost comes across as parody.

Thoughts on P3's ending.

Overall P3's conclusion is much stronger than P4's because it doesn't have this meandering fake out attempt, and I vehemently disagree with anyone who thinks the main character's death should be undone. Vehemently. That said, the amnesia nonsense is pretty unnecessary and was actually incredibly nonsensical. That should have been excised completely.

120% in agreement with this.

Sophia

My only issue with the P3 ending was the
memory loss, and subsequent return.
. Many events late in the game don't make sense to me because of it, and I don't know why it was really necessary.

I prefer P4's ending, but I may have enjoyed P3s more also had I played FES and not P3P.

Heh. This one is actually better explained in the drama CDs, rather than the game proper.

Basically, if you can't observe the Dark Hour, then those events didn't happen for you. This is why Natsuki loses her memories of the Dark Hour after the event with Fuuka, as well as why the people who wander into Tartarus in P3P have no memory of the experience. The antagonists of the drama CDs New Moon/Full Moon basically have to wear rings in order to enter the Dark Hour, and when the rings are destroyed, their memories are lost as well.

The Dark Hour, in turn, is an extension of Nyx's power. So when Nyx is sealed away, all the memories and events that were born from her actions should have been sealed away as well. For some seemingly unexplained reason (read: She's a robot) however, Aigis is immune to these effects. Likewise, Persona users are resistant to these effects as well. The paradox brought about from those two details, combined with their memory of wanting to meet on graduation day, seems to restore everyone's memories at the end of the game.

In the bad ending, Aigis never approaches anyone about her memories, they never promise to meet up on graduation day, and the death of Ryoji undoes the events of the game. Backstory included if Mitsuru's speech is any indication. Thus, nobody remembers anything, and nobody has awakened to their Personas to give them some resistance. And they're all going to die anyhow. And Aigis gets to watch. And it's all your fault.

Antiwhippy

Izanami was actually pretty crucial in explaining how outsiders got the power though. I thought it was clever how the tied the gas station in, because of course people who just came into town would stop by the gas station after a long drive.

Izanami was actually pretty crucial in explaining how outsiders got the power though. I thought it was clever how the tied the gas station in, because of course people who just came into town would stop by the gas station after a long drive.
One of my favorite things about P4 was beating
Ameno Sagiri and thinking that didnt make sense. He made the fog sure, but he couldnt have been the one who was running the midnight channel and causing everything. So when it turned out I was right and the game pushed forward I was stoked.

I also love Marie's dungeon and think she really expands on the lore in a way that makes me glad I played Golden and never played the original.

And with P3
yea, Id be all for Elizabeth succeeding. The sacrifice was dumb and forced. Fucking door-kun could have come up with a better plan than the tired cliche that he became.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom