• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zareka

Awesome because they get the product out quickly.

Not so awesome for our wallets. Remember how overpriced the PQ special edition was? Let's hope they learned from that mistake.

Yeah, the LE price is the one thing that's worrying me, and they don't seem to be learning if their recent Danganronpa AE LE is anything to go by.

That said, I'll take getting the game close to the US date over LE stuff any day of the week.

Edit: Don't really hang around here often but Happy Birthday all the same, Dantis.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
There's something like four Persona threads on the Gaming Discussion side front page.
Persona hype man. Its real and not actually at the same time.
I wonder if they sold all those PQ Special Editions in the end, I remember that they still had well over half their stock a few months before release.
I would totally buy just for the tarot cards, but I would rather get the jojo tarot cards if they actually existed.

I wonder if they sold all those PQ Special Editions in the end, I remember that they still had well over half their stock a few months before release.

We're going to get new P5 info whenever someone gets around to translating the Persona Magazine stuff.

But if it's anything like SMT IV, I don't see it being much more than a month before we get a new trailer or something.

kiyoaki

I wouldn't hold my breath concerning the new issue of Persona magazine. The only review that's up on Amazon.jp says the P5 article covers only stuff that's already known.

Dantis

Cheers for the birthday wishes, guys!

Pretty sure that P Magazine hasn't ever had anything new (of significance) before, so I wouldn't expect anything now.

Andrefpvs

The Blu-ray, DVD set, and live CD set for PERSONA SUPER LIVE 2015 will be released on August 26, 2015, according to the latest issue of Persona Magazine. Pre-order bonuses for the Blu-ray or DVD set include a backstage video, as well as the announcement video for Persona 5 at the event. The Blu-ray comes out to about 6,000 JPY ($48 USD), the DVD set comes out to 5,000 JPY ($40 USD), and the live CD set comes out to about 2,900 JPY ($23 USD).

Does anyone know if the Blu-rays for the concerts are usually region-free?

Lunar15

Maybe it's just the persona fan in me, but I think Atlus had the best fucking booth in all of E3.

Everyone there was just having a hell of a time.

Does anyone know if the Blu-rays for the concerts are usually region-free?

The past ones that I can find seem to be.

I wouldn't hold my breath concerning the new issue of Persona magazine. The only review that's up on Amazon.jp says the P5 article covers only stuff that's already known.

From the scans at least it's only reused art. I figured the "key words" stuff would have something new at least, even if it's only minor though.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
So is nobody going to talk about the video that went up on atlustube today, showing how to make a Kanamin costume?

Am I the only person who is going to make one?

Guys?

FluxWaveZ

So is nobody going to talk about the video that went up on atlustube today, showing how to make a Kanamin costume?

Am I the only person who is going to make one?

Guys?

Went up on Niconico 3 days ago; might be why no one's commented on it (though no one commented on it before, either).

Wasn't that costume making thing already in a Persona stalker club episode? I think I remember watching something like that a week ago.

Also happy birthday Dantis, I hope I'm not too late :p

So...I finally bought a physical copy of P3 FES.

...is this it? Is the only reason why people prefer this to Portable is the fact there's FMV's (Which look like complete shite, especially when we have stuff like the P3 movie) and the ability to actually walk around the environments, which to the game's credit, allows them to pop out more compared to the pitiful processing power of the PSP? Because other then that, there's frankly nothing that isn't done better in P3P, especially the actual dungeon gameplay. I'd rather not have my party be run by the AI.

Actually yes, it is why I enjoy FES more. I prefer an actual overworld over VN cutscenes

Meia

So...I finally bought a physical copy of P3 FES.

...is this it? Is the only reason why people prefer this to Portable is the fact there's FMV's (Which look like complete shite, especially when we have stuff like the P3 movie) and the ability to actually walk around the environments, which to the game's credit, allows them to pop out more compared to the pitiful processing power of the PSP? Because other then that, there's frankly nothing that isn't done better in P3P, especially the actual dungeon gameplay. I'd rather not have my party be run by the AI.

A lot of the game's more emotional scenes lose quite a bit of bunch when you don't see them acted out with player models. Worse is the first summoning from the MC is done via in-game models in a mock battle, but they then decide to go "screw it" I guess when it comes to later, bigger events. It's why I always recommend to any newcomers to play FES before P3P.

Lunar15

So wait, those were the examples for Phantom and Picaresque?

Not like... The Phantom of the Opera or anything from Alexander Dumas? Odd choice, but alright. That said, I guess the protag isn't much like the phantom of the opera, although, if he is truly falsely imprisoned, I can see Count of Monte Cristo similarities.

EDIT:

I declare this the official gif of non-personagaf reacting to personagaf:

hEkdkmT.gif

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Kinda feel sorry for the person in the Teddie suit. Also realizing i could probably comfortably be in the suit.

I wonder which poor intern John coaxed into wearing it. :p

Seriously though, it looks pretty tiny, like I could even fit in there without any problems.

Dugna

So wait, those were the examples for Phantom and Picaresque?

Not like... The Phantom of the Opera or anything from Alexander Dumas? Odd choice, but alright. That said, I guess the protag isn't much like the phantom of the opera, although, if he is truly falsely imprisoned, I can see Count of Monte Cristo similarities.

EDIT:

I declare this the official gif of non-personagaf reacting to personagaf:

hEkdkmT.gif

Now I wish I had a time machine to go to E3 just to dance with Teddie

teddie__s_sad__gif__by_eevee76719-d53z1ut.gif

Lunar15

Someone just needs to shop "Personagaf" on top of the people dancing and "non-personagaf" over the person who is clearly frightened and walking away.

Europe. Region-free would be great!

Gotcha. I only have experience with either playing Region A (I'm in the US) or some of the region-free BDs from the BBC (I own the special edition Sherlock set and standalone Series 3 BDs), so the Persona BDs always worked on my PS3.

Though the Persona BDs are listed as Region A, I guess you could poke around to see if anyone in other regions have issues playing them, but I don't think there'd be any issues.

Andrefpvs

Gotcha. I only have experience with either playing Region A (I'm in the US) or some of the region-free BDs from the BBC (I own the special edition Sherlock set and standalone Series 3 BDs), so the Persona BDs always worked on my PS3.

Though the Persona BDs are listed as Region A, I guess you could poke around to see if anyone in other regions have issues playing them, but I don't think there'd be any issues.

Yeah, best to be safe.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's really appreciated!

FluxWaveZ

I remember the speculation for P4D before Yukiko was announced that she was dead, and that the Investigation Team were all wearing the yellow ribbons in memory of her. Fun times.

I have this feeling that the "The Fiend With Twenty Faces" inspiration summary will be particularly relevant to Persona 5, for some reason.
When 1930s Tokyo is threatened by a master thief who claims he can take on any disguise and stymie any matter of law enforcement, the people of the city have nowhere else to turn but Japan’s greatest detective, Akechi Kogorō. Unfortunately for Tokyo, however, Akechi Kogorō is off on overseas business, so it becomes the job of his 12-year old assistant, Kobayashi Yoshio, to track down the thief and desperately keep him at bay until his mentor returns.
They already did the "young detective" trope, though, but there's something about that writing that makes sense.

Overall, I'm loving the inspirations that have been stated for P5. Way different from previous Persona games, obviously, and it's making me more excited for what they're going for.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Demi-Fiend and Pixie costumes? I had no intention of paying for any costume DLC, and then you go and do this...

Dantis

Is this real?

EDIT: Track list for the P4D Advanced OST

01. Dance! –Long Mix-
02. Backside Of The TV (Lotus Juice Remix) -Long Mix-
03. SNOWFLAKES (NARASAKI Remix) -Long Mix-
04. Signs Of Love (TK Remix) -Long Mix-
05. Time To Make History (AKIRA YAMAOKA Remix) -Long Mix-
06. Heaven (Norihiko Hibino Remix) -Long Mix-
07. NOW I KNOW (Yuu Miyake Remix) -Long Mix-
08. Best Friends (Banvox Remix) -Long Mix-
09. Pursuing My True Self (Shinichi Osawa Remix) -Long Mix-
10. Heartbeat, Heartbreak (TOWA TEI Remix)
11. Your Affection (Daisuke Asakura Remix)
12. Shadow World (DE DE MOUSE shadow swing mix) -Long Mix-
13. Signs Of Love (Funky HOME Mix)
14. True Story (ATLUS Kozuka Remix)
15. 霧 (ATLUS Konishi Remix)
16. Heartbeat, Heartbreak (Cloudy Step Mix)
17. Reach Out To The Truth ("bright outer world" Mix)

Looks like we have two more remixes to come?

Dantis

They could have picked tracks that weren't already in the game at the very least.

I don't think the Demi Fiend edit is real, although I don't know where it's from.

Shame, it could have been cool.

And yeah, I agree. I don't mind another Reach remix, but who actually likes Heartbeat Heartbreak that much?

Setsu00

I don't remember if this is the first time the Persona Stalker Club reached the maximum rank of their social link or not.

Also:

Edit: Oh wait, their Social Link reverses at the end of the episode. Oh well.

Edit 2: I think the person at the end of the episode might actually be Katsura Hashino engaging in PSC hosting duties.

It was the first time, yes.

And I don't thinkt that the person was Hashino. Hashino's voice sounds different.

FluxWaveZ

It was the first time, yes.

And I don't thinkt that the person was Hashino. Hashino's voice sounds different.

Then that's a momentous occasion! Well, until the S. Link reversed. Wonder if they'll have to do it all over again.

Hm, and alright. He seemed to fit the profile from the back, but they likely would have at least shown his face if it was actually him.

Lunar15

Overall, I'm loving the inspirations that have been stated for P5. Way different from previous Persona games, obviously, and it's making me more excited for what they're going for.

I completely agree. I grew up on the works of Dumas and Lupin (the original french novels and the anime/manga) and I've always dreamed of a game in that style, so everything they've shown has been a literal dream come true for me. I just never expected to get it from Persona.

Just the other day I was thinking about what I associate with Persona, and since I started with P4, I mainly think about the nostalgic, small town haziness of that game. P5 is going in a completely different direction, and while I had brief doubts about that for a bit, I realize that there's no way you could have another Persona game try to do the same thing the past ones have. P5 is, in some ways, a rarity: A game that's not afraid to challenge the prevailing tone and themes of previous games in the series. It's also going towards themes that we really haven't seen all that much in games as a whole, so it's really, really exciting.

I mean, sure, there will be a lot of similar things: You'll have friends and make social links as you manage day to day activities and the themes will still revolve around the jungian concepts of the true self and the persona/shadow, but for them to take it in this direction is pretty breathtaking, to me. It's one of those things where I didn't ask for it, but I'm totally in love with it. They could have just done what everyone wanted, but it looks like they're pursuing their own interests, and I think that bodes well for the game.

Persona 5 reminds me of Catherine in a way, in that it's just something completely different and new. Yes it's still going to have Persona elements, but it just feels like something really unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom