• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the very least, as long as it remains 2015 for both regions, they would have to be pretty close together.

Also, pretty meaningless, but December is the only month that Atlus USA doesn't currently have anything releasing, at least if they stick with their current placeholders.

artsi

Boy would that be the opposite of the narrative that's been discussed this past week.

I don't believe Atlus would delay the game in Japan to have a worldwide release, they're still doing too much Japan first shit for that to happen.
I agree that US getting the game very soon after JP could happen, but not for that reason.

Either way, as I'm a risky better I'm standing my ground and still predicting the game to be out this fall in Japan.

I'd be shocked if they were holding back the Japanese release for a couple of months just to achieve a simultaneous release. If we did happen to get a simultaneous I'd guess that it was a combination of a faster localisation process and Atlus USA benefiting from the delays that Atlus Japan has faced.

Exactly, you said it better.

I am beginning to believe that the date is December for the precise reason that they're releasing it simultaneously in both regions. Essentially holding back the Japanese release in order to make sure the localization has enough time.

I'd be shocked if they were holding back the Japanese release for a couple of months just to achieve a simultaneous release. If we did happen to get a simultaneous I'd guess that it was a combination of a faster localisation process and Atlus USA benefiting from the delays that Atlus Japan has faced.

Zolo

Only negative I could think of is that it might be too late for the enthusiast press to consider Persona 5 for various GotY 2015 awards.

I was always under the impression it was the opposite with games at the end of the year had a better chance due to the hype not wearing off......if it hits December, isn't it put under 2016 though in some cases?

Jachaos

I was always under the impression it was the opposite with games at the end of the year had a better chance due to the hype not wearing off......if it hits December, isn't it put under 2016 though in some cases?

It would qualify for some GOTY awards, Far Cry 3 still got some after all, and websites might hold their awards a bit if both Persona 5 and Just Cause 3 release in early December.

It would be too late for the The Game Awards/whateverit'scalledthisyear that Geoff Keighley will organize though.

FluxWaveZ

It depends on the outlet. There are some that prepare their GotY stuff in November, causing all of the December releases to slip through.

Yeah, this is what I think. It would be a result of coincidence and circumstance, not deliberate planning. Maybe it would have gotten pushed back 1 or 2 weeks for the simultaneous release, but not much longer than that.

Weiss

Banned
When confronted with their darkest secrets, the cast of Persona 4 whined at their Shadows until they turned into boss fights. When Katsuya Suou sees his,
he shoots that fucker in the face.

TLDR: Katsuya is better than your waifu.

CorvoSol

When confronted with their darkest secrets, the cast of Persona 4 whined at their Shadows until they turned into boss fights. When Katsuya Suou sees his,

In fairness, the cast of Persona 4 are confronted by angry, screaming monsters who tell them all their faults.

Katsuya's confronted with the horrible truth that
he likes to bake.

Young Magus

I declare this the official gif of non-personagaf reacting to personagaf:

hEkdkmT.gif

I second this motion. Poor Teddie tho. ;-;

Katsuya is really cool, Ill give ya that.

In fairness, the cast of Persona 4 are confronted by angry, screaming monsters who tell them all their faults.

Katsuya's confronted with the horrible truth that
he likes to bake.

The spoiler made me laugh more harder then it should have

wmlk

I feel like there's been a good balance between slower and more energetic themes in P3 and P4, and despite what we've seen from P5 so far, I expect that we'll have that balance again.

After all, the trailers are supposed to be as flashy as possible, so they'd naturally use some of the more prominent songs in the soundtrack. I agree with you though, I'd love to hear what Meguro has in store for us when it comes to non-combat P5 music.

Yeah, it's tough to make assumptions like that but I'm just basing it off of what we know about the game. The tone in general just seems more extreme than P4, especially with P4 having a rural setting where it made more sense (to me) to have that kind of mellow music.

Drive-by post, apropos of nothing: That new epilogue in P4G really bums me out. The most memorable thing about P4 for me was the feeling it left me with as the credits rolled, and Golden seems to entirely undercut that by skipping right to the new epilogue instead of at least keeping it until after the credits or something. My sister played through Golden recently and I was a little sad she didn't get to experience the same kind of ending.

Weiss

Banned
It's pretty subtle, but Persona 2 has a huge amount of sprite variations. Every single sprite in the game has four directional variations, even the enemies. It's pretty nuts.

Also, for real, Nyarlathotep is the single best villain in the entire Shin Megami Tensei franchise.

EDIT: AAAAND DONE. Five years later and I've finally beaten Persona 2!

Tatsuya noooo stay here and have millions of beautiful babies with Maya nooooo

Meia

Keep forgetting we're one behind and that the third was out in Japan already.

So that's the fourth movie, but I wonder how likely an Answer movie is. Really blah name for this one though.

kewlmyc

Yeah probably, my bad, but region locking a movie trailer and the way the new P5 trailer was released is pretty facepalm worthy marketing overall, it's like they're fighting to keep Persona JP onry.

It's a trailer for a movie that's only releasing in Japanese theaters that western fans won't have a chance of seeing in at least a year. Makes sense they wouldn't give a crap about western fans for it. Maybe they're worried about movie 3 spoilers since that hasn't released on BD yet.

artsi

It's a trailer for a movie that's only releasing in Japanese theaters that western fans won't have a chance of seeing in at least a year. Makes sense they wouldn't give a crap about western fans for it. Maybe they're worried about movie 3 spoilers since that hasn't released on BD yet.

Nah it's the whole Aniplex channel that's blocked, I don't know why I was even amazed knowing how Japanese entertainment companies in general have been reluctant to embrace Youtube.

A very good point. Region locking as a general rule isn't great, but since this is a trailer for a theatrical run that'll only ever happen in Japan, it's not really anything worth fussing about.
In fact, if I remember right, Aniplex starting region locking this stuff for the theatrical run of the third movie.

I wonder when they'll release the Falling Down blu-ray anyway? I'm guessing around late-December/early-January?

atlusprime

Atlus PR
So wait, those were the examples for Phantom and Picaresque?

Not like... The Phantom of the Opera or anything from Alexander Dumas? Odd choice, but alright. That said, I guess the protag isn't much like the phantom of the opera, although, if he is truly falsely imprisoned, I can see Count of Monte Cristo similarities.

EDIT:

I declare this the official gif of non-personagaf reacting to personagaf:

hEkdkmT.gif

AAaaaaaaaaand saved.

Thanks to the Persona 5 Blu-ray having the full 1080p HD, non-compressed versions of every trailer, I'm now able to reanalyze some of the old trailers.

Here's an example from the TGS 2014 teaser trailer:

The Japanese on the sign is "究極の体験" which translates to "Ultimate Trial"

I'll be analyzing everything again throughout this week.

kiyoaki

Thanks to the Persona 5 Blu-ray having the full 1080p HD, non-compressed versions of every trailer, I'm now able to reanalyze some of the old trailers.

That's pretty cool. Below that I think it says 東亜宇宙旅行社 = East Asian Space Travel Company!? Near-future setting confirmed?

Small detail, but a cool find! Looking forward to whatever else you can find.

That's pretty cool. Below that I think it says 東亜宇宙旅行社 = East Asian Space Travel Company!? Near-future setting confirmed?

Catherine sequel confirmed.

Got a high quality version of those cutins that some people thought were the other party members?

Lunar15

I think those cut ins refer to an in-universe boy band, which you can see on other posters and screens in the trailer.

It was a solid lead, but now that we've seen the cast, it doesn't line up.

Anywho, one of my friends has been assaulting me with a gif of my own video which they found on youtube:

m6Qyzq.gif

That booth was fucking great. Thank you to those dancers for putting up with my surprise carlton.

Also, props to John Hardin himself for taking the time to take this selfie with me which, at the time, I thought was an important thing that had to be done. I apologize for the upright format which was a massive oversight in retrospect.

11665565_10204653864601897_7734228150547493312_n.jpg

So there you have it, Atlus was killin' it at E3.

E3 2015: The Dream Is Real

Firestar

Seems like that was just a false lead in the end. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Well, there's going to be a lot more characters than were shown. So these could still be 3 more party members, or even villains or something. This is complete random guesses though since there's nothing to go off of.

FluxWaveZ

Never thought they were anything. Scrunchie was a better lead than those ever were, and she's also nothing.

The two main motifs from the backround of that city scene were the idol/pop culture promos (which what people thought were main characters would be part of) and the space/globe concept in advertisements.

Zolo

Just beat the SEBEC route for Persona 1. Going through the Snow Queen arc.......and I get killed by the boss of the Hypnos tower and have to start the tower all over.....really trying to decide if I want to beat Snow Queen or just move on to Persona 2.

cj_iwakura

If anyone is going to Anime Expo, please please please get me one of Artist Black's Megaten doujins.

tumblr_nqswosNMJH1qis82bo4_540.png

I'll be your friend! (And I will pay you + shipping, of course.)

Man, P4A's story mode is repetitive. It's a shame though because the story is actually quite decent. Labrys's section almost made me tear up a little.

How is Ultimax in comparison?

FluxWaveZ

Man, P4A's story mode is repetitive. It's a shame though because the story is actually quite decent. Labrys's section almost made me tear up a little.

How is Ultimax in comparison?

Ultimax is much better, in my opinion, mainly because of the story format it adopted. Instead of it being highly repetitive like P4A was, P4AU adopted the BlazBlue: Chronophantasma method of having all-encompassing, linear story chapters instead of an individual chapter per character that basically told the same story from a different perspective. It made things less convoluted and far more tolerable to go through.

Jachaos

Interesting. There's a lot of space-stuff in the commercials too apparently, we see the Earth from space pretty often and kiyoaki's post plays on that too.

kiyoaki

Now that I'm thinking about it, in Catherine,
did anything ever come out of the space travel stuff? I remember the posters and I think one conversation that involved the ads, but did this ever play a role in the story? I have only seen two of the game's 8 endings.
If it's more than just a nod to Catherine, I wonder where Atlus is going with this.

Jachaos

Now that I'm thinking about it, in Catherine,
did anything ever come out of the space travel stuff? I remember the posters and I think one conversation that involved the ads, but did this ever play a role in the story? I have only seen two of the game's 8 endings.
If it's more than just a nod to Catherine, I wonder where Atlus is going with this.

One of the endings (if not two)
showed Vincent on a space station or something, doing space travel. It was when he stayed single.

Edit: Here, towards the end

Makio

With all the
space bullshit , in that ending looks more advanced than actual stuff
makes me wonder in what year Catherine is set ... or is like "in not a distant future".

And not surprise if they try to hint Catherine in Persona 5 i love to see too many Catherine hints like Catherine have P3 and P4 ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom