• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In P4G do the dungeons get longer and longer as the game goes on? I just did the second one and 11 floors I just found to be boring.

I just looked it up and the next ones all have around 10 floors. Some require backtracking though.

They won't get noticeably longer, I personally never felt that the amount of time spent increased every dungeon

FluxWaveZ

Still cheating, DR 3 was announced before you made that prediction post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyAlUA_GfEI

Nope, I remember that moment distinctly during that SCEJ 2013 conference when watching it with other Gaffers. That one doesn't count because it was a straight up tease for something that might have been 3, but that Kodaka didn't say anything else about until he straight up announced the game in March 2015.

It's like saying that this:
Darkstalkers-Not-Dead.jpg
Was the announcement of a new Darkstalkers game, which would obviously be wrong.

It was only today I suddenly realised the titles for the Persona 3 movies were all alluding to the seasons they were set in.

I just needed to share my shame.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Hey! Longtime no see! I was gonna pop up in this thread earlier after realizing people here probably noticed that quasi-retirement post, but then GAF died, so... yeah!

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for their super kind words about my work and whatnot, whether you posted here, to my Twitter, whatever. To be honest, I didn't think people would take the announcement badly or anything, but it's still been really moving to see so many kind messages expressing how much they've enjoyed my work and actually looked forward to my take on new trailers and whatnot specifically. I feel like you don't see that a whole lot for fan translators dealing in other mediums, so it's very heartwarming to know that to a lot of people my work wasn't just a means to an ends in terms of getting bleeding edge Persona material in English. I've never regretted the time I've spent working on that stuff, especially since it and all of your feedback and sharing and whatnot really did help land professional game localization work, but all of this outpouring has reinforced my belief that it all really was time well spent. c:

Onto specific post replies~

Pepsiman is no longer doing Persona translations.

It seems Pepsiman is getting into the process of full-time translation work, and moving to Japan, and as such won't have time for some fan translation endeavors, specifically things like Persona trailers and the like.

For those who don't know, Pepsiman's a great guy who's basically been subtitling every Persona trailer ever released on atlustube since around the first days of the Ultimax trailers. He also did things like host stream mirrors for Nicovideo events, did translations of full magazine interviews, (both new and old) and even part of a documentary for Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. His work was pretty much always high quality and always a source of excitement no matter what it was.

While I feel really bummed that he won't be posting subtitled Persona videos anymore, I feel happy knowing he's gotten some serious work and is able to pursue his dreams!

I won't make any particular commitments as of yet given that I think life is going to get even more hectic than it's been the last few months, but I'd say don't count me out of doing the occasional interview scanlation and whatnot still when it strikes my interests. The majority of fan translators for game-related media seem to be largely concerned with breaking news sort of stuff because that's where demand is most prominently heavy, but they often neglect less "timely," but still relevant material either because of a perceived lack of return on time investment or simply because they don't know how to track down the raw material. Knowing that, I think I still have a place that I'd like to retain when possible and while I will be moving over to Japan to do game localization work, it's entirely possible my professional responsibilities will free me up somewhat to have the energy to pursue hobbyist translations again. One step at a time with these things, but I'll say there's definitely old material I'd love to work on once I'm a bit more free.

Mind, I don't intend to touch more recent material that I have a feeling will see an official release (read: art book interviews and the like) because I don't want to ruffle those feathers and I respect those translators' work a lot, but yeah. I'd say just consider that post to mostly be me signaling that I'm shifting priorities away from trailer subtitling work and that I'm taking a break from Persona for a little while to focus on life stuff. :)

That's a shame. I really enjoyed his streams and all of his translations were super helpful.

If you happen to be reading this. Good luck Pepsiman!

I still plan on doing stream rehosts when I can and if it looks like there's going to be some distance between the Japanese and English release of Persona 5, I still want to go forward on a translation stream for that so long as I still have a decent Internet connection to work off of. The future's still bright for that stuff! :D!

I wonder how much of this is a blessing in disguise for Pepsiman, considering some sites (Mostly Silliconera) were copping his translations and using them without credit. Why bother doing it if sites aren't going to give you credit for what you're doing?

Nevertheless, someone will step up. They always do.

My internal statistics for view counts, shares, etc. indicate that my work on Persona stuff specifically saw a lot of direct exposure from my pages, even amidst those circumstances, so that wasn't a huge going concern that affected my decision to stop working on trailer subtitles. Given the crazy amount of thank you messages and whatnot that I've gotten in the wake of the announcement, I'd say more than enough people knew who was responsible for those translations. :)

Now as for the more general news translation work I used to do on Gematsu, yeah, seeing that content get lifted elsewhere on places like Siliconera and DS was admittedly stressful, especially in cases where authors couldn't be bothered to even paraphrase my stuff and just basically copy/pasted my work with light edits. That bullshit often cost us hits and notably affected our paychecks, though thankfully GAF was often really great about citing my posts when they were the first to hit about a given piece of news.

I've since been led to believe that it might be something the admins mostly do and they post under some of the other staff names so that those guys take the potential hits rather than they themselves, though I don't have any direct evidence to back that up. If so, I feel bad for those writers that aren't Spencer and company who might be having their enthusiasm for Japanese games taken advantage of, but otherwise doesn't make the whole thing right, obviously.

Regardless, I'm under the impression that Gematsu is doing better for itself these days even in the wake of my quitting there (on amicable terms, mind!) and, for what it's worth, my current paycheck doing freelance for Japanese games is much, much larger than when I was doing news work. (Though it was critical work experience and that exposure is what got me loc work in the first place!) So I won't say I've particularly forgiven places like Siliconera for what they did, but in the end, I'd say I'm having the last laugh, especially financially. So don't worry about me and the plagiarizing situation; I'm at a point where it's not really hurting my bottom line that much at all, though I really appreciate that someone still remembers all of those ordeals for sure. :)

Godspeed Pepsiman. I'll miss your Persona translations, but I'm glad you're following your dreams. Thanks for all of your hard work! Time to retire this bad boy:

We already talked on Twitter, but I'll just reiterate that all of your Photoshops and gifs and whatnot have made my day and I have them saved on my computer. They're some of my favorite things people from my audience have ever sent me and I'll cherish them forever. They make me feel super appreciated as a human being behind the translations. <3

Pepsiman,

Just wanna say thanks for all your contributions breh.

jordansalute-png.5965

It's been an honor and a pleasure to serve so many nice people like you for so long and I can only hope I keep earning that respect professionally as I go forward! I think you'll be surprised to see my name pop up in some places in the coming months. It's been an incredible year professionally and I can't wait to share that part of my life with people! :D

Nope, I remember that moment distinctly during that SCEJ 2013 conference when watching it with other Gaffers. That one doesn't count because it was a straight up tease for something that might have been 3, but that Kodaka didn't say anything else about until he straight up announced the game in March 2015.

It's like saying that this:

Was the announcement of a new Darkstalkers game, which would obviously be wrong.

I dunno, I think Spike Chunsoft is way more reliable at game announcements than Capcom

arue

It's been an honor and a pleasure to serve so many nice people like you for so long and I can only hope I keep earning that respect professionally as I go forward! I think you'll be surprised to see my name pop up in some places in the coming months. It's been an incredible year professionally and I can't wait to share that part of my life with people! :D
Thanks for all of your translations! Good luck in the future!

-----

By the way, these Happy Kuji P3 figures just came a few days ago and I hope Koromaru and Ryoji will be released sometime soon!

Also, here's all of my SMT figures so far. (still waiting for Thanatos)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Thanks for all of your translations! Good luck in the future!

-----

By the way, these Happy Kuji P3 figures just came a few days ago and I hope Koromaru and Ryoji will be released sometime soon!
)

I need that Yukari and Aigis D:

Hey! Longtime no see! I was gonna pop up in this thread earlier after realizing people here probably noticed that quasi-retirement post, but then GAF died, so... yeah!

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for their super kind words about my work and whatnot, whether you posted here, to my Twitter, whatever. To be honest, I didn't think people would take the announcement badly or anything, but it's still been really moving to see so many kind messages expressing how much they've enjoyed my work and actually looked forward to my take on new trailers and whatnot specifically. I feel like you don't see that a whole lot for fan translators dealing in other mediums, so it's very heartwarming to know that to a lot of people my work wasn't just a means to an ends in terms of getting bleeding edge Persona material in English. I've never regretted the time I've spent working on that stuff, especially since it and all of your feedback and sharing and whatnot really did help land professional game localization work, but all of this outpouring has reinforced my belief that it all really was time well spent. c:

I haven't been around for too long, but i still greatly appreciate what you've done for the community! Good luck on your future endeavors!

I am jealous! (Especially of Aigis!)

Skii

Just started Persona 4 Golden again in NG+ as I want to get the platinum before I play Persona 5. What a difference between that and P3P (which I completed for my first time recently). Having an overworld, actual character models and cutscenes completely changes the feel of the game. It makes the characters far more interesting and animated.

Messiah

Just started Persona 4 Golden again in NG+ as I want to get the platinum before I play Persona 5. What a difference between that and P3P (which I completed for my first time recently). Having an overworld, actual character models and cutscenes completely changes the feel of the game. It makes the characters far more interesting and animated.

Persona 3: FES has the overworld and character models as well as anime style cutscenes. Those features had to be omitted from P3P due to technical limitations of the PSP.
On the other hand P3P had additions to the story (such as a female MC with different social links) as well as improvements to the battle system.

Same reason I don't think I'll be able to stand P3P after having played FES.
Same for me. I tried getting into P3P multiple times but it just feels like something is missing.

Skii

Persona 3: FES has the overworld and character models as well as anime style cutscenes. Those features had to be omitted from P3P due to technical limitations of the PSP.
On the other hand P3P had additions to the story (such as a female MC with different social links) as well as improvements to the battle system.

Same for me. I tried getting into P3P multiple times but it just feels like something is missing.

Yeah, but I didn't want FES as I rarely have time to play on my PS3 and there's no way I'd be able to complete an 80 hour game on it!

Still really enjoyed P3P but P4G is just a level above because of the better art style, models and cut scenes. It just feels more like a real town with real characters

I still think P3P is worth playing if you want a version for on the go and apparently the female character was a really good addition.

Yeah, but I didn't want FES as I rarely have time to play on my PS3 and there's no way I'd be able to complete an 80 hour game on it!

Still really enjoyed P3P but P4G is just a level above because of the better art style, models and cut scenes. It just feels more like a real town with real characters

I still think P3P is worth playing if you want a version for on the go and apparently the female character was a really good addition.

That's the thing. We're polar opposites, since I do all my gaming at home. I didn't get P4G until the PSTV was available.
I think I was chomping at the bit so hard I got the game right after the console was announced. :/

Jachaos

We need dat Game 7 experience.

You're getting it and then some. He was always one of the guys I loved on the Kings as a hockey fan (not as a playoff opponent though). He's a good guy. Now that he's gone, and that Lucic (I also like the Canadiens, being from Montreal) is joining up Brown and that Bieksa is with Kesler and Perry, I can hate my rivals even more than last year!

You're getting it and then some. He was always one of the guys I loved on the Kings as a hockey fan (not as a playoff opponent though). He's a good guy. Now that he's gone, and that Lucic (I also like the Canadiens, being from Montreal) is joining up Brown and that Bieksa is with Kesler and Perry, I can hate my rivals even more than last year!

as the old saying goes, FUCKTHEDUCKS

still, this is getting OT

Skii

That's the thing. We're polar opposites, since I do all my gaming at home. I didn't get P4G until the PSTV was available.
I think I was chomping at the bit so hard I got the game right after the console was announced. :/

I do all my gaming at home as well :p. It's just that the main room with all the consoles is always busy until midnight and I'm almost always tired from the day's events so I just don't have the energy to play. The Vita is great as I can always play an hour or two in my room if I have free time.

arue

Is there any place to buy SMT merch? Pretty much everything I look up costs an arm and a leg.

They all pretty much cost an arm and a leg online. There were some Atlus merch at AX but the wall scrolls were like $30 each and the Teddie sweater was $50.

I do all my gaming at home as well :p. It's just that the main room with all the consoles is always busy until midnight and I'm almost always tired from the day's events so I just don't have the energy to play. The Vita is great as I can always play an hour or two in my room if I have free time.

Ah. I don't have that problem cause all the consoles are in the closest thing we have to a basement. :p

Andrefpvs

I think I'm reaching the end of Persona Q, can someone please tell me what exactly carries over to New Game+? Equipment, items, Personas, money, etc.?

I'm asking here rather than googling it because I don't want to risk seeing any spoilers. Also, if for some reason any part of your answer would be a spoiler, I'd rather not know.

Thanks! :D

Says the person with 3 Aigis figures already. :p The Happy Kuji version is uglier than her Nendoroid version though.

But you forget, there is never too much Aigis

I actually started on P3P, then when i realized that FES had an actual overworld I immediately jumped ship to it. I don't like how P3P is presented as a visual novel, but i do like the changes it brought. WHICH IS WHY, i still want a definitive version of P3 with both P3P and FES features combined

EDIT= OOPS, misread and thought you were comparing P3: FES and P3P >.<

Jachaos

I think I'm reaching the end of Persona Q, can someone please tell me what exactly carries over to New Game+? Equipment, items, Personas, money, etc.?

I'm asking here rather than googling it because I don't want to risk seeing any spoilers. Also, if for some reason any part of your answer would be a spoiler, I'd rather not know.

Thanks! :D

Map data, items, compendium from what I remember. Maybe money too.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
You can also keep your character levels. My memory is rusty but IIRC you get a few options as to how much carries over.

JCX

I bought P4G last year based on gaf hype, hated it because I never got through the overly long intro sequence.

Bought SMT IV from an eshop sale last week and loved it, so I gave P4G another chance, slogged through the annoying intro, and finally got to the first dungeon. I am completely taken by P4G now.

Really wished they had a mini dungeon in the intro just to give a taste of the great battle system (and music).

The intro should have just been a short movie ( was over an hour in before I started to be able to freely play the game.

Now to get hyped for P5!

Lunar15

I think the slow intro is almost entirely due to the fact that you enter the TV once before you fight anything. The fact that you go in, come out, and go in again before you fight makes it feel like it's taking longer than it should. It also takes awhile before you see how things are going to "work", essentially. A lot of information is being passed, but you don't know quite how it fits together, like social links. It's a completely valid complaint, but it's also one of those things where once you get past it, you're basically hooked.

However, I'll always appreciate the slower intro from a story angle because I think it does a great job of setting up that sleepy, small town vibe that gets shaken up with the murder mystery.

P5 will hopefully have some more early hooks. I don't think it'd be a horrible idea to start in medias res where you start out in a dungeon or something to give players a taste of what's to come. Set it up like a dream, which is something that P4 did, but it didn't really execute fully.

Skii

But you forget, there is never too much Aigis

I actually started on P3P, then when i realized that FES had an actual overworld I immediately jumped ship to it. I don't like how P3P is presented as a visual novel, but i do like the changes it brought. WHICH IS WHY, i still want a definitive version of P3 with both P3P and FES features combined

EDIT= OOPS, misread and thought you were comparing P3: FES and P3P >.<

Haha. But I do agree that I'd like a definitive version, possibly for the Vita as it can handle P4G perfectly well. They could also work in social links for all the characters in the male playthrough as well. I doubt it'll happen though. The best we can hope for is possibly a Persona 5 on Vita if it's still remotely viable in a couple of years.

I think the slow intro is almost entirely due to the fact that you enter the TV once before you fight anything. The fact that you go in, come out, and go in again before you fight makes it feel like it's taking longer than it should. It also takes awhile before you see how things are going to "work", essentially. A lot of information is being passed, but you don't know quite how it fits together, like social links. It's a completely valid complaint, but it's also one of those things where once you get past it, you're basically hooked.

However, I'll always appreciate the slower intro from a story angle because I think it does a great job of setting up that sleepy, small town vibe that gets shaken up with the murder mystery.

P5 will hopefully have some more early hooks. I don't think it'd be a horrible idea to start in medias res where you start out in a dungeon or something to give players a taste of what's to come. Set it up like a dream, which is something that P4 did, but it didn't really execute fully.

I didn't mind the slow opening for Persona 4. It's more story heavy than Persona 3 personally and there's a lot more emphasis on the relationship between the main characters. I expect Persona 5 to get straight to the action with story developing later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom