• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

kiyoaki

Is there any information out there on how large the game will be? I've pre-ordered the PS3 version. Pre-load starts on 9/14 at midnight, but the Japanese PS store page has no information yet on how many GB of free space I'll need.

kiyoaki

All the animation does is give people hope and smiles that we are in for a cool magical ride in Persona 5. Seriously, watch it. UNLESS you are in a true "media blackout" then don't watch it.
I've been on a pretty thorough blackout since June (only read some headlines in my RSS feed) and it didn't spoil much or tell me many new things even so. I thought it was a nice mood setter for the game, and the writing and pacing wasn't nearly as terrible as I imagined.

Zolo

Is there any information out there on how large the game will be? I've pre-ordered the PS3 version. Pre-load starts on 9/14 at midnight, but the Japanese PS store page has no information yet on how many GB of free space I'll need.

Pretty sure the devs said they wanted it to be at least as content-full as P4:Golden was.

Edit: My brain's not working.

PS4 version is about 20GB, don't think we know about the PS3 one, although the disk version has a 5GB mandatory install.

Nachos

Just so people are aware, even if nothing leaks until the preload happens, it's possible to grab assets from preloads on PS3 nowadays. Once that preload hits, there's a good chance that all portraits, music, voice files, and dialogue will be dumped pretty quickly – possibly even models.

damnit... she's such a good Rise. At least I can enjoy her in this one last time
To be fair, she's even said that she really wanted to come back but couldn't because she was already booked for Gears of War. Considering her recast got the most outcry, I'm sure Atlus knows that people prefer Bailey's Rise to Burch's. Though whether that means she's guaranteed to return every time is another story.

daevious

To be fair, she's even said that she really wanted to come back but couldn't because she was already booked for Gears of War. Considering her recast got the most outcry, I'm sure Atlus knows that people prefer Bailey's Rise to Burch's. Though whether that means she's guaranteed to return every time is another story.

They couldn't get her back for SMT IV Apocalypse either, so she might have gone the way of Troy Baker unfortunately.

Get your Persona 5 keychains featuring all members of the phantom thieves.

Merchandise-3.jpg

Where can I buy this? I need the Morgana one.

Nachos

They couldn't get her back for SMT IV Apocalypse either, so she might have gone the way of Troy Baker unfortunately.
Maybe. Liam O'Brien's not reprising Navarre, either, and he was in a game as niche as Etrian Untold 2 last year. Things can always change, but Bailey's always said that she loves playing Rise and that she was disappointed that she couldn't return for DAN. The desire's there, if nothing else.

Moaradin

Watched all the Persona 3 movies. First few movies were pretty good. Last one was pretty fucking great. They nailed the final moments of the game.

Overall it's definitely a better adaption than the Persona 4 anime.

cj_iwakura

Watched all the Persona 3 movies. First few movies were pretty good. Last one was pretty fucking great. They nailed the final moments of the game.

Overall it's definitely a better adaption than the Persona 4 anime.

Haven't seen the second two yet, but they really, really nailed the moment when things get serious.
MC's reaction to Shinji's death was something else. Drove home how his passive attitude wasn't going to cut it anymore.

Unless you've been on media blackout, it wouldn't tell you anything you don't already know really.
All the animation does is give people hope and smiles that we are in for a cool magical ride in Persona 5. Seriously, watch it. UNLESS you are in a true "media blackout" then don't watch it.
I think I've only seen the first two PVs and some headlines in Siliconera, but thanks for the advice!

Nana Mizuki (Anne Takamaki)
"[...]I really had fun doing her lines. The part when she’s in her swimwear and the guys gets shy is esp. fun. "

There we go, these scenes are just super fun for everyone in Japan.

Interesting way to see that scene. I wonder what the reaction to the full scene might be...

Mediking

Except for Morgana's voice actress that we heard from during E3 2016.

Those Persona 5 rubber straps and the mask motiffs with the new Arcana signs are a welcome sight.

While I like the art and design, I feel like too much of the Persona 5 merchandise have been making use of the same art assets (official profiles, all out attack portraits and the likes).

Nice to see some merch that differs a bit from that Persona 5 MC doing the crouching thing for the umpteen time.

Oh yeah... isn't Morgana's voice like super raspy or something? I totally forgot we heard her voice before.

I've been on a pretty thorough blackout since June (only read some headlines in my RSS feed) and it didn't spoil much or tell me many new things even so. I thought it was a nice mood setter for the game, and the writing and pacing wasn't nearly as terrible as I imagined.

Yup the P5 animation is really good. I love the cast!!!

you know what i'm getting pretty sick of this -san business. I hope they drop the honorifics.

but they won't

I don't think the honorifics stuff is lame... it's actually cool to me. Hahah

cj_iwakura

Oh yeah... isn't Morgana's voice like super raspy or something? I totally forgot we heard her voice before.

Yup the P5 animation is really good. I love the cast!!!

I don't think the honorifics stuff is lame... it's actually cool to me. Hahah

Atlus are inconsistent with it, though. They only do it with Persona, and (thank god) not with SMTIV or Soul Hackers.

Atlus are inconsistent with it, though. They only do it with Persona, and (thank god) not with SMTIV or Soul Hackers.
I think it works in Persona due to the setting they chose. It would probably feel out of place in a less realistic setting for example.

Some day I'll play SMTIV. Some day. The delay for the European release truly killed my interest for it.

cj_iwakura

I think it works in Persona due to the setting they chose. It would probably feel out of place in a less realistic setting for example.

Some day I'll play SMTIV. Some day. The delay for the European release truly killed my interest for it.

Soul Hackers also takes place in a modern day city. I think they only do it because Persona has a more light-hearted style to it, while Soul Hackers and SMT are more dark(cyberpunk) in tone.

kiyoaki

After actually living in Japan for two years hearing it used in English feels wholly unnatural
Honorifics in Western language translations are basically aimed at japanophiles - and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. They're great if you are just beginning to learn the language but know enough about Japanese society/culture to appreciate the subtle differences conveyed through them. I really enjoyed reading manga in translation with honorifics when I wasn't able to read the original versions fluently.

Once you've made the transition to simply reading the original version (or, alternatively, if you don't plan to ever make it), they're really jarring. There's a reason junbungaku translations never use honorifics.

Vic_Viper

Do we know what the P5 MC's name is yet? Joker is a code name right? Also could it have anything to do with the Joker from the first 2 persona games?

Do we know what the P5 MC's name is yet? Joker is a code name right? Also could it have anything to do with the Joker from the first 2 persona games?

Like any game, you get to choose yours. As for an official name, the best chance for that is when the manga launches on the 22nd.

As for the first two games being involved, I wouldn't count on it.

jzbluz

I liked honorifics in English when I was younger but not so much now, but it irritates me more how some translate honorifics into miss/mr.

No, and the Jokers from P2 were villains and had to do with the big bad of those games.

Vic_Viper

I prefer using the names they use in the manga and anime adaptations like Makoto and Yu. And it can't just be a coincidence that the MC's code name is the same as the bad guy from P2.

Speaking of p2, has there been any recent updates on the translation project for ES PSP?

It could be intentional, but not in a way that connects specifically to the Jokers of Persona 2 (although the Joker persona's evolution does bear a resemblance to Arsene...), in the same way that Ann and Yuusuke are evocative of Lise and Jun.

A theory I've had, especially after Daybreakers, is that
maybe that's not the Real Igor an maybe the Phantom Thieves aren't doing The Right Thing - I know Igor's old voice actor died, but the new one doesn't even sound remotely like him, you know, he sounds more sinister and I don't think that was unintentional, and you have the incredibly hostile Velvet Room with all the execution methods for fusion, so it feels like, you know, maybe they aren't on the right side of the law. Then you have Goro, you may end up being the actual good guy who'll get them set straight.

asagami_

Banned
I am still thinking this game is going to return a lot of themes and characters from the P2 duology (and maybe, with a tiny chance, the P1 MC will finally return but for real and on-screen) but I don't want be seen like a delusional guy.

My craziest expectations involves the involvement of our favorite villain who embodies the humanity worst hour
Erebus totally... just kidding
and Futaba being the daughter from certain pair from Persona 2 Eternal Punishment.

But I don't want be the delusional guy, oh :(

Top Bottom