• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Sophia

Sophia!!! Help!

Got any SP management tips? Getting tired of running low on SP all the time ;_; I am saving up on those SP accesories.

It's not as easy to one day clear a dungeon in this like it was in Persona 4, that's for sure, lol. Here's some tips I've discovered:

• You know what technical damage is, right? If you match specific stats effects with the corresponding attack (for example, using a physical attack on an enemy that's frozen), you'll do the equivalent damage of hitting an enemy's weak point without a second turn. As you can trigger this using the standard melee attack, take advantage of it to avoid wasting SP on enemies.
  • As a rule of thumb, healing is going to cost you the most SP. Finishing fights while taking as little damage as possible is the goal. It's possible to start almost every fight with player advantage in this game, so make use of it.
  • Status effects and debuffs are insanely powerful in this game. Make use of Dormina to remove super powerful enemies on a fight and preserve SP from not needing to heal. Marin Karin is particularly useful against regular enemies because you can make them fight each other, or even heal you (!) for free.
  • Try to get as many items as possible from enemies. They frequently give you SP restoring items. Getting the Sun confident up will give you the option to bribe an enemy for an item or money, and then either attempt to get more, or follow it up with an all out attack.
  • Getting the Hierophant confident up will give you items to restore SP. However do be careful regarding ranking it up because
    you cannot advance it to Rank 4 until a certain point in the story. The game doesn't inform you of this, so you could waste time on it.
  • If you need to run away from a fight, status effects make it easier to do so. Cancelling a Hold Up and selecting run appears to be 100% guarantee each time too.

I'll let you know of any other tips as I come across them. I was almost able to clear the second dungeon on a single trip, but I had to grind a bit to be able to beat the boss. >.<;

Also, you are awesome for doing that, Mediking!

Thanks for the tips Sophia.

I'm glad to see that people weren't exaggerating when they said the story can go into some messed up stuff. Very cool.

Sophia

To give you an idea of just how powerful Technical damage is: Morgana did over 100 points of damage with a standard melee attack due to it. You can easily double your damage output for free if you make good use of status effects.

To give you an idea of just how powerful Technical damage is: Morgana did over 100 points of damage with a standard melee attack due to it. You can easily double your damage output for free if you make good use of status effects.

Were Technical Attacks in P4? I'm pretty sure they didn't exist in P3. It's a really cool addition, but didn't even know about them until I read the manual yesterday.

Sophia

Were Technical Attacks in P4? I'm pretty sure they didn't exist in P3. It's a really cool addition, but didn't even know about them until I read the manual yesterday.

They're brand new to Persona 5. Persona 4 didn't have the stats effect skills (Shock, Burn, Freeze, etc) at all.

I've been keeping all my characters on AI tactics a la Persona 3 because I think it adds to the immersion of being one part of a party. The AI is generally improved since P3, but they still prefer to attack whatever enemy you're attacking, which is bad when you've put a status effect on them like Confuse. There's also less AI settings than in P3 (unless those open up later), which makes it harder to tailor each character towards certain goals or certain fights.

They're brand new to Persona 5. Persona 4 didn't have the stats effect skills (Shock, Burn, Freeze, etc) at all.

Shock and Freeze are taken from SMT, no? I guess I forgot they weren't in the Persona games until now.

I like the Technical Attacks because honestly the find-the-element-weakness of the Persona system was getting a bit stale. It adds another level of strategy on top, in addition to those status effects.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I posted this in the Atlus streaming thread. Whether they intend to actual shutdown streams/vids/channels or not, I think they're seeing a desired effect of discouraging and greatly lowering the number of streamers and LPers from streaming/posting videos.

According to twitchstats, P5 still only has a peak of only 22k viewers and an average of 20 channels streaming. Those numbers should be much higher during the first week of a release for a high profile game, which is usually when you see the strongest numbers.

To compare:

BOTW had a peak of 148k viewers and an average of over 250 average channels
Nioh had a peak of 92k viewers and averaged 150 channels
ME:A had a peak of 71k viewers and an average of 245 channels
Yakuza 0 had a peak of 37k viewers and an average of 17 channels
Nier Automata had a peak of 22k viewers and averaged 59 channels

Sophia

Shock and Freeze are taken from SMT, no? I guess I forgot they weren't in the Persona games until now.

I like the Technical Attacks because honestly the find-the-element-weakness of the Persona system was getting a bit stale. It adds another level of strategy on top, in addition to those status effects.

Shock and Freeze were in Persona 3 and most mainline SMT games, however Technical Attacks are brand new for the franchise as a whole.

And yeah, all of the new gameplay features in Persona 5 are fantastic. If it weren't for a couple of bad design choices that are holdovers from Persona 4 (one physical category is STILL stupid as hell, and melee weapons need a revamp because there's almost no point to upgrading them at times...) the game would be perfect in my book.

I posted this in the Atlus streaming thread. Whether they intend to actual shutdown streams/vids/channels or not, I think they're seeing a desired effect of discouraging and greatly lowering the number of streamers and LPers from streaming/posting videos.

According to twitchstats, P5 still only has a peak of only 22k viewers and an average of 20 channels streaming. Those numbers should be much higher during the first week of a release for a high profile game, which is usually when you see the strongest numbers.

To compare:

BOTW had a peak of 148k viewers and an average of over 250 average channels
Nioh had a peak of 92k viewers and averaged 150 channels
ME:A had a peak of 71k viewers and an average of 245 channels
Yakuza 0 had a peak of 37k viewers and an average of 17 channels
Nier Automata had a peak of 22k viewers and averaged 59 channels

Tragic numbers, especially considering Persona as a franchise owes much of it's popularity in the west to good word of mouth. They wouldn't be seeing the sales they got without it.

Lynx_7

There seems to be a lot of complaints about how restrictive and heavily tutorialized the game's first story arc is. Curious to see how much that'll bother me considering I hate that kind of thing in Zelda games, but on the other hand it was never an issue to me in P3 or P4. I guess it'll depend on how engaging the narrative is and how well it sets things up. Also apparently having too little spare time in general? And then there's the localization issue which I guess was already a thing we knew from promotional material.

I should probably stop reading the OT since I feel like my perception of the game might be colored a bit too much by other people's experiences.

There seems to be a lot of complaints about how restrictive and heavily tutorialized the game's first story arc is. Curious to see how much that'll bother me considering I hate that kind of thing in Zelda games, but on the other hand it was never an issue to me in P3 or P4. I guess it'll depend on how engaging the narrative is and how well it sets things up. Also apparently having too little spare time in general? And then there's the localization issue which I guess was already a thing we knew from promotional material.

I should probably stop reading the OT since I feel like my perception of the game might be colored a bit too much by other people's experiences.

I don't think the restrictiveness is that different; it just sets up the story differently in this game and puts you straight into action, so I can see why people might want the training wheels to come off more quickly. Plus the game has so many things you can do, and I think many people new to the series have that completion mania where they feel they have to 100% everything and are getting frustrated. So I think it's more of a perception thing; P3 at least was also pretty restrictive, but you were getting to know the characters and the pace built up slower.

It certainly has more tutorials for all the systems, which IMO is a bit too handholdy -- we didn't need all the basics explained in prior titles -- but they're obviously trying to reach a larger audience with this one.

And yeah, I had to stop going into the OT, but because there was too much casual discussion of spoilers.

Mediking

Yo. I just gotta say thank you to MediKing again. How awesome is he? Pretty fucking awesome.

Hahahah it's no big deal. :)

It's not as easy to one day clear a dungeon in this like it was in Persona 4, that's for sure, lol. Here's some tips I've discovered:

• You know what technical damage is, right? If you match specific stats effects with the corresponding attack (for example, using a physical attack on an enemy that's frozen), you'll do the equivalent damage of hitting an enemy's weak point without a second turn. As you can trigger this using the standard melee attack, take advantage of it to avoid wasting SP on enemies.
  • As a rule of thumb, healing is going to cost you the most SP. Finishing fights while taking as little damage as possible is the goal. It's possible to start almost every fight with player advantage in this game, so make use of it.
  • Status effects and debuffs are insanely powerful in this game. Make use of Dormina to remove super powerful enemies on a fight and preserve SP from not needing to heal. Marin Karin is particularly useful against regular enemies because you can make them fight each other, or even heal you (!) for free.
  • Try to get as many items as possible from enemies. They frequently give you SP restoring items. Getting the Sun confident up will give you the option to bribe an enemy for an item or money, and then either attempt to get more, or follow it up with an all out attack.
  • Getting the Hierophant confident up will give you items to restore SP. However do be careful regarding ranking it up because
    you cannot advance it to Rank 4 until a certain point in the story. The game doesn't inform you of this, so you could waste time on it.
  • If you need to run away from a fight, status effects make it easier to do so. Cancelling a Hold Up and selecting run appears to be 100% guarantee each time too.

I'll let you know of any other tips as I come across them. I was almost able to clear the second dungeon on a single trip, but I had to grind a bit to be able to beat the boss. >.<;

Also, you are awesome for doing that, Mediking!

Thanks for the wealth of advice, Sophia! I appreciate it! I wanna be good at P5!

P5 OT is fun and dangerous at the same time.... but certainly don't go there if you don't got the game. Heck, I really shouldn't even be there because of the casual talk of spoilers. Lol

asagami_

Banned
To finish a Palace in just a day in hard mode it's definitely not easy. Well, it's just a matter of SP management. I will try to finish Kamoshida Palace in a more day then :)

First palace mini-boss complaint:
I just beat him with a fraction of health left (everyone else knocked out), and instead of letting me travel back to the safe room to save, they spawn four shadows around me. wtf! Of course I died instantly, and lost my boss win. That is seriously uncool.

And sort of an irritating general thing: party members (when set to AI mode) will now use your stash of healing items. In P3 they had their own items and never took yours.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
If people never ever want to worry about SP again just prioritize your relationship with the Death Confidant. I believe R7 is what you need.

PK Gaming

N1GV15W.jpg

Fresh off a ban and i'm ready to live an honest student life now.

The rehabilitation can begin now.

Lynx_7

Fresh off a ban and i'm ready to live an honest student life now.

The rehabilitation can begin now.
Tbf, I thought the person you were discussing with was being kind of an asshole about the whole thing, but anyway. :p

Can't wait for emancipation myself. Been really needing it these last few months.

First palace mini-boss complaint:
I just beat him with a fraction of health left (everyone else knocked out), and instead of letting me travel back to the safe room to save, they spawn four shadows around me. wtf! Of course I died instantly, and lost my boss win. That is seriously uncool.

And sort of an irritating general thing: party members (when set to AI mode) will now use your stash of healing items. In P3 they had their own items and never took yours.

So I finally beat the mini-boss last night after a few more wipes. I basically had to remove AI control and command my party directly in order to win. The problem was they weren't using
Guard
, which is kind of sad considering Morgana had just told me to use it.

The AI tactics system is still adequate for most regular battles so far, but they just don't play smart enough when there's no room for error. I wish Atlus had put more effort into improving the AI, but I guess I should be happy it's in the game at all considering I bet most people don't use it.

PK Gaming

Admin: "WELCOME TO MY NEOGAF..."

Shut up old man oh wait I don't have the guts to say that rip

So fresh off a ban that you can't even link images right. :D

Also stop getting banned, gosh. :p

Not going to go easy on me, huh :X

Tbf, I thought the person you were discussing with was being kind of an asshole about the whole thing, but anyway. :p

Can't wait for emancipation myself. Been really needing it these last few months.

Thanks. It's all water under the bridge now, though.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I totally left the community thread once I got my order in, just popping back to say how much I'm loving the game so far.

Finished the second palace and am currently awaiting the deadline to arrive, at about 20 hours in. All the character/demon models are great, I'm liking the music (although it hasn't really got stuck in my head yet), and I'm curious to see where the story goes.

It's killing me that so many of the social links are being held up by social stats. Stop telling me about the bag Morgana, I don't have the guts for that yet.

Worth the wait.

I also wanted to pop in and state that I have started P5 a couple days ago (a little late due to taking a little too long on Zelda!) and I'm having a blast so far. See you guys on the other side, I gotta pop out again.

I also wanted to pop in and state that I have started P5 a couple days ago (a little late due to taking a little too long on Zelda!) and I'm having a blast so far. See you guys on the other side, I gotta pop out again.

No, don't gooooo..!

*reaches out in futility while Green Mamba gets further and further before fading away*

asagami_

Banned
To finish a Palace in just a day in hard mode it's definitely not easy. Well, it's just a matter of SP management. I will try to finish Kamoshida Palace in a more day then :)

I don't have idea how many days were, but wow, was hard. The battle with (1st palace spoiler)
Shadow Kamoshida
was easy, beside the
gimmicks.

PK Gaming

Posted this in the Persona 5 OT

PK Gaming said:
[6/10-11] - aka the best stretch in the game so far

If there ever was a moment that best showcased the blatant improvement in writing, it was this one. I loved, loved, loved the heart to heart in Joker's room between the Phantom Thief members. It was just this really natural, raw conversation between a bunch of kids with messed up backgrounds. Previous Persona games typically had characters talking around each other, but the characters were directly talking at each other, and it was fantastic. I really dig the friendship scenes in general. They're not as long or as funny as they were in 4s, but there are more of them scattered about, and the game does a better job of selling the individual relationships between the members of the Phantom Thieves than the previous Persona games.

I can't believe Ryuji's baggage got brought up again. Say what you will about him; he's loud, he's obnoxious, he's on a serious power trip, he's an idiot... but the damn kid has had a seriously hard life, and the for the first time he's got an outlet to vent his frustrations. And Joker... man, I can't believe he's got a backstory that goes beyond "transfer student." Like, his backstory is almost as compelling as the rest. Also I seriously feel for Makoto. She's burdened with so many expectations and demands from the people around her, and everyone despises her for it.

Also the scene with Makoto and her sister was superb (the fact that the game switches between multiple perspectives is without a doubt, one of my new favorite additions to P5)

Everything regarding Akechi is solid too. The OVA episode made it clear he had a bone to pick with the Phantom Thieves, but I pleasantly surprised at how badly he admonished their actions. Not only that, he's directly influencing public perception, which makes him an interesting obstacle for the thieves. I'm really looking forward to future interactions with him.

"EFFIN AKECHI"

So I'm in the first Palace, past the mini-boss, and I feel like I must be doing something wrong.
Once I get to the tower area I'm basically being bodied by all the horsemen using Cleave. I finally got to an area inside the tower where I opened a door and got met by a level 16 Archangel who one-shotted my party with what I think was an Almighty spell. For reference, my party is all level 8. I'm playing on Hard and I mean...this seems harder than Nocturne right now. Surely I'm not approaching this the right way?

asagami_

Banned
So I'm in the first Palace, past the mini-boss, and I feel like I must be doing something wrong.
Once I get to the tower area I'm basically being bodied by all the horsemen using Cleave. I finally got to an area inside the tower where I opened a door and got met by a level 16 Archangel who one-shotted my party with what I think was an Almighty spell. For reference, my party is all level 8. I'm playing on Hard and I mean...this seems harder than Nocturne right now. Surely I'm not approaching this the right way?

Get Slime, Archangel is weak to curse attacks and Slime has a curse skill. After that it's a piece of cake.

Get Slime, Archangel is weak to curse attacks and Slime has a curse skill. After that it's a piece of cake.

Hm okay thanks.
Is that a different curse spell than Eiha? And should I be grinding before I go to the tower area? Those horsemen with the two-attack Cleave skill really gets out of control fast.

Sophia

Hm okay thanks.
Is that a different curse spell than Eiha? And should I be grinding before I go to the tower area? Those horsemen with the two-attack Cleave skill really gets out of control fast.

No, it's Eiha, however Slime resists physical attacks, which will help you with the cleave skills. Make use of Ann's Dormina to put one of the horsemen to sleep too. That way you can tackle them one at a time.

No, it's Eiha, however Slime resists physical attacks, which will help you with the cleave skills. Make use of Ann's Dormina to put one of the horsemen to sleep too. That way you can tackle them one at a time.

Thanks. I see that
Slime is level 10
though, so it looks like I'll have to grind for a couple levels first.

Regarding Ann, as you know I've been using the party in AI mode. But she has never cast
Dormina
(I have her set to Act Freely). I guess I could try setting her to Support, but...it looks like I may have to just give up on an AI party for this game. :(

Lusankya

Thanks for speaking up for Ryuji! He gets way to much flak than what he deserves. I don't know why people don't like a character just because he can be mean or angry at times?
HE brings balance to the group and MC is too chill anyways.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Another thing I think which I would use as an example of P5 having better writing and showcasing how much better the writers got is just the overall structure being stronger and more intertwined with the core ideas of the game. This leads to a thematically more coherent game. And in my opinion given the variety of takes on the whole "being chained thing" it didn't feel on the nose to me.
When I think in retrospect about P4 where the theme was finding the truth and P3 death/memento mori it really shows how much less thematically coherent those games were.

Sophia

Thanks. I see that
Slime is level 10
though, so it looks like I'll have to grind for a couple levels first.

Regarding Ann, as you know I've been using the party in AI mode. But she has never cast
Dormina
(I have her set to Act Freely). I guess I could try setting her to Support, but...it looks like I may have to just give up on an AI party for this game. :(

I'd suggest giving up on using AI mode, unless you're playing on like safety or something. The degree of strategy required for this game is a significant step up from Persona 3 and 4, and I don't even think it'd be possible to finish the game on hard that way. If the AI can't even
use Dormina to take out enemies in a manner of crowd control
then you stand little to no chance later on. :p

I don't even know why the AI feature was even included. It's useless for this game.

I'd suggest giving up on using AI mode, unless you're playing on like safety or something. The degree of strategy required for this game is a significant step up from Persona 3 and 4, and I don't even think it'd be possible to finish the game on hard that way. If the AI can't even
use Dormina to take out enemies in a manner of crowd control
then you stand little to no chance later on. :p

I don't even know why the AI feature was even included. It's useless for this game.

Yeah I agree, this game feels like Nocturne levels of difficulty on Hard so far. The AI just isn't up to the task. While the AI is better than P3 at setting up enemies for an All-Out, it seems to be clueless when it comes to status effect attacks and using Guard. Hell, at least Mitsuru tried to use Marin Karin.

It's just a shame because I really liked how the AI made the combat feel more like I was just one member of a group. But I'm not willing to go down to an easy mode for that, so...adios AI.

Setsu00

Thanks for speaking up for Ryuji! I gets way to much flak than what he deserves. I don't know why people don't like a character just because he can be mean or angry at times?

Yes, I agree with that. I'm currently in July and I still prefer Ryuji over Yosuke and Junpei.

Sophia

Yeah I agree, this game feels like Nocturne levels of difficulty on Hard so far. The AI just isn't up to the task. While the AI is better than P3 at setting up enemies for an All-Out, it seems to be clueless when it comes to status effect attacks and using Guard. Hell, at least Mitsuru tried to use Marin Karin.

It's just a shame because I really liked how the AI made the combat feel more like I was just one member of a group. But I'm not willing to go down to an easy mode for that, so...adios AI.

The saddest part is... Marin Karin is extremely powerful in this game, unlike Persona 3. It has a very high success rate. I've used it and watched the enemies fight themselves to death. :p

Setsu00

The saddest part is... Marin Karin is extremely powerful in this game, unlike Persona 3. It has a very high success rate. I've used it and watched the enemies fight themselves to death. :p

Marin Karin nearly killed me in the first dungeon multiple times.

Lusankya

My guess is Ann will get this skill? At around level 30 she got
a skill to boost the success rate of these skills when there is special weather.
I wonder if it's worth to keep this around, I mean it should be quite easy to only enter Dungeons/Mementos
on these type of days.

A couple of weird things that happened to me tonight:

- I did a melee attack on an enemy that was Shocked in order to get a Technical Attack, and I got Shocked! So be careful when going for those! Morgana did not cover this in the tutorial. :O

- I discovered that you can sleep in the bed of the prison cell in the Velvet Room. I won't spoil what happens, but it's pretty weird and I wonder if it ties into the plot later in the game.

DNAbro

Completely agree, the character dynamics and conversations during down time are incredibly well done.

As a random aside, I noticed as I play more I started making the dialogue choice that pick on Ryuji more often. That wasn't really a conscious choice. I also realize I do this with real friends as well.

PK Gaming

Thanks for speaking up for Ryuji! He gets way to much flak than what he deserves. I don't know why people don't like a character just because he can be mean or angry at times?

I definitely can sympathize with not liking with his character at all (he really can be irritating at times) but I just don't agree at all with the assertion that he's a bad character. And yeah, he really does add to the group dynamic, and Max's voice acting is ridiculously on point.

Another thing I think which I would use as an example of P5 having better writing and showcasing how much better the writers got is just the overall structure being stronger and more intertwined with the core ideas of the game. This leads to a thematically more coherent game. And in my opinion given the variety of takes on the whole "being chained thing" it didn't feel on the nose to me.
When I think in retrospect about P4 where the theme was finding the truth and P3 death/memento mori it really shows how much less thematically coherent those games were.

Definitely. I'm nowhere near the end, but i'm expecting great things from the narrative.

Completely agree, the character dynamics and conversations during down time are incredibly well done.

As a random aside, I noticed as I play more I started making the dialogue choice that pick on Ryuji more often. That wasn't really a conscious choice. I also realize I do this with real friends as well.

I dunk on him a ton too. The friendly but "mean" dialogue options are great.

Lunar15

P3 is pretty coherent when it comes to its theme, in pretty incredible ways. In fact, the entire calendar system was developed to give a sense that your days are limited and that you need to use them meaningfully to create connections with people and make an impact in their lives. It's pretty intense when you think about what the ending of that game is. Of course, they've continued to use the calendar/social link system, but it doesn't necessarily thematically link to 4 and 5 like it did for 3.

That said, P3 and 4 seemed to be tackling vague issues, where P5 is going after extremely specific issues in Japan.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
P3 is pretty coherent when it comes to its theme, in pretty incredible ways. In fact, the entire calendar system was developed to give a sense that your days are limited and that you need to use them meaningfully to create connections with people and make an impact in their lives. It's pretty intense when you think about what the ending of that game is. Of course, they've continued to use the calendar/social link system, but it doesn't necessarily thematically link to 4 and 5 like it did for 3.

That said, P3 and 4 seemed to be tackling vague issues, where P5 is going after extremely specific issues in Japan.

A gameplay system fitting with the theme doesn't change that narratively P3 and P4 have a lot of stuff that is very much side story fluff not related to its core themes.
I mean you could make the case but "Yo! Kenji I wanna bang my teacher being very memento mori.... feels very reaching" That's kind of what I was talking about.
In P5 pretty much all the stories at their core relate strongly to its main theme.

PixelatedBookake

What traits of the main cast are gonna become their defining traits in the spin-offs to come? I've been wondering this and I know Ann's is definitely gonna be eating sweets/cake and whatnot. Any other ones you guys can pin down?

Sophia

A gameplay system fitting with the theme doesn't change that narratively P3 and P4 have a lot of stuff that is very much side story fluff not related to its core themes.
I mean you could make the case but "Yo! Kenji I wanna bang my teacher being very memento mori.... feels very reaching" That's kind of what I was talking about.
In P5 pretty much all the stories at their core relate strongly to its main theme.

Almost all of the social links in Persona 3 and Persona 4 relate to the game's themes, actually. Kenji stands out, because he's one of the few characters in Persona 3 whose social link doesn't relate to the theme of death, or trying to find a purpose within life. It's what makes Junpei's social link in Persona 3 Portable a whole lot better.

Some examines from Persona 4, and how they relate to the theme of truth:

• Yosuke's social link deals with the truth of his resentment over living in a small town
    and his secret jealousy over the protagonist
  • Yukiko's social link deals with the truth over how she really feels about the Amagi Inn
  • Hisano Kuroda's social link deals with the truth of aging (P4's theme), and the nature of transition that the Death Arcana represents.
  • Ai Ebihara's social link deals with the truth
    about her past
    while dealing with the two-faced nature that the Moon Arcana represents.

I'm only a little bit less then half way through, but Persona 5 already seems to continue this trend. Each confident is strongly associated with the main theme of the game, as well as the respective arcana. Tae Takemi's in particular, I really like.

Top Bottom