• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Corginand

How many of you guys actually know a Persona fan face to face? I only know one dude whose a Persona fan but he's not as passionate about it like me. I do know somebody else whose interested into Persona because of me though. What about you guys?

One of my brothers played and liked P3P. Besides him, right now I can think of at least 5 other people I have met IRL. I met 2 of them when I got into Computer Science and used to see them frequently, the other 3 on FB and saw them at local cons. Out of these last 3 I cut contact with one of them after he turned into an SMT/P1-2 elitist.

cheez124

How many of you guys actually know a Persona fan face to face? I only know one dude whose a Persona fan but he's not as passionate about it like me. I do know somebody else whose interested into Persona because of me though. What about you guys?
my brother is the only other person i know that knows about persona. he actually got me into the series when he recommended p4g to me when i got my vita. i ended up loving it, but to this day he still hasn't even finished it himself, haha

I have a friend that now loves persona 4 after I got him to play golden, hes pumped for P5, but he couldnt get into P3

I also got him into Trails series, so hes a good friend

Lynx_7

I know very little videogame fans in general, let alone Persona fans. The ones who do play videogames are usually just into the popular stuff.

One of my brothers played and liked P3P. Besides him, right now I can think of at least 5 other people I have met IRL. I met 2 of them when I got into Computer Science and used to see them frequently, the other 3 on FB and saw them at local cons. Out of these last 3 I cut contact with one of them after he turned into an SMT/P1-2 elitist.

Where is this magical land full of Persona fans everywhere?
Also lmao at the thought of you cutting away a friend because they became a MegaTen elitist.

"Hey dude, wanna grab some beer this evening? Just you, me and Fred... Oh, Jimmy? Nah man, he's one of those now. You know the type, can't stop blabbering on about how I need to play a real shin megumi tensay game and how waifufags ruin everything. He even said Chie wasn't best girl, can you believe that shit? Fuck that guy".

Banned
I know two dudes who are also into Persona. I'm eagerly awaiting P5 with one of them while the other one is currently playing PQ.

Funnily enough, they both haven't beaten P4. One got stuck on
Adachi
and the other one is stuck on
Shadow Rise...
somehow.

I'm the only one I know who play the Persona games. Believe me, I tried to get my friend to play them, but without any success. It's mostly an issue of them not really wanting to play a long game where they have to read too much, especially because it's not localised in Italian.

Frimaire

None of my friends play them, but I wear a Persona shirt sometimes and I've had people compliment me on it before, so I guess that kinda counts...

Shit is hard to come by in Turkey, lol. Tried to get a friend into it but he can't buy stuff from PSN I think so he's unable to play them. Planning to lend P5 to him once I get my copy though. :p

I know one guy. He actually used to post here too lol.

Setsu00

I've got someone to play Catherine, but he disliked how much of the game is devoted to the nightmare parts. He wants to play Persona 5 when it comes out over here, though.

Gecoma

Ya know I knew it would be risky listening to the ost on YouTube... that whole 'avoid plot spoilers' thing didn't last very long for me. I glanced down at the single comment chain visible on the screen while waiting for the video to load and then bam. It wasn't even a direct spoiler, just someone making a joke about someone else's avatar that I put together a little too fast.

Although tbh I'd be more mad at this if all the songs didn't kick ass
River in the Desert is amaaaazing
. I never was too concerned about spoilers in general anyway, just decided to make an exception for Persona frickin 5! Oh well it won't ruin the game for me, that & the ost will just make the wait even more unbearable
hehe

I'm this close to caving & buying a version I won't understand for way too much money. £75 minimum for enough Japanese psn credit! My brain is saying "don't be stupid you've got other unfinished games" while my heart is saying "screw those other games Persona 5 is playable right now!"

...I'll report back when I eventually cave.

Tamanon

Banned

One of my friends is pretty big into Persona too. But I was surprised my first week on my new team a month ago when I got comments from 5 different people on my phone lock screen (the boxart), and all were stoked about P5 coming out.

It helps I work in IT, so it's a very nerdy culture there.

barybll

Banned
Ya know I knew it would be risky listening to the ost on YouTube... that whole 'avoid plot spoilers' thing didn't last very long for me. I glanced down at the single comment chain visible on the screen while waiting for the video to load and then bam. It wasn't even a direct spoiler, just someone making a joke about someone else's avatar that I put together a little too fast.

Although tbh I'd be more mad at this if all the songs didn't kick ass
River in the Desert is amaaaazing
. I never was too concerned about spoilers in general anyway, just decided to make an exception for Persona frickin 5! Oh well it won't ruin the game for me, that & the ost will just make the wait even more unbearable
hehe

I'm this close to caving & buying a version I won't understand for way too much money. £75 minimum for enough Japanese psn credit! My brain is saying "don't be stupid you've got other unfinished games" while my heart is saying "screw those other games Persona 5 is playable right now!"

...I'll report back when I eventually cave.

I told you to not watch it on youtube man

_Ryo_

Reading some of the impressions/spoilers and watching a few mins of lets play is making the wait much much more difficult. Tempted to just watch an entire lets play. O_O

Just tried to block the account of someone who was posting spoilers on twitter and accidentally saw part of one in the process. I'm pretty sure I know what I saw, but I don't know if the image ends up leading to what I think it will or not. The wait is going to kill me.

Reading some of the impressions/spoilers and watching a few mins of lets play is making the wait much much more difficult. Tempted to just watch an entire lets play. O_O

I've been watching a translated stream for days on end and I'm really loving it. Find a way to pass the five months (we're not exactly starved for RPGs right now), and I'm sure you'll like what you see in Feb.

_Ryo_

I've been watching a translated stream for days on end and I'm really loving it. Find a way to pass the five months (we're not exactly starved for RPGs right now), and I'm sure you'll like what you see in Feb.

Well, I actually was watching Shouta's but you cant lower the quality and I didn't have a good enough connection to view it comfortable at the source quality.

Then I started watching a YouTube let's play with English translation, it was going slow though as the guy was only putting out one ~30 min or less videos a day. His translations were great though. Did them for all text. And cutscenes. YouTube banned his vids. :

Then I tried watching another translation stream on twitch but that was too annoying. That person used "SJW" in a non ironic manner, made some sexist comments and spent 98% of the time talking to chat instead of playing the game. Seriously, he's over 18 hrs into the game and still at almost the very beginning... Like I saw other people where he was at in like 3hrs. After watching that I just gave up and said I'll wait for February...

Well, I actually was watching Shouta's but you cant lower the quality and I didn't have a good enough connection to view it comfortable at the source quality.

Then I started watching a YouTube let's play with English translation, it was going slow though as the guy was only putting out one ~30 min or less videos a day. His translations were great though. Did them for all text. And cutscenes. YouTube banned his vids. :

Then I tried watching another translation stream on twitch but that was too annoying. That person used "SJW" in a non ironic manner, made some sexist comments and spent 98% of the time talking to chat instead of playing the game. Seriously, he's over 18 hrs into the game and still at almost the very beginning... Like I saw other people where he was at in like 3hrs. After watching that I just gave up and said I'll wait for February...

Shouta's stream appears to be allowing quality changes now, actually. My connection's pretty bad too, but I've been able to lower the quality since...yesterday?

I decided to bail out once the game reaches a certain point, but I'm otherwise gonna watch.

_Ryo_

Shouta's stream appears to be allowing quality changes now, actually. My connection's pretty bad too, but I've been able to lower the quality since...yesterday?

I decided to bail out once the game reaches a certain point, but I'm otherwise gonna watch.

I'll check it out next time I'm at the library.

Wish twitch had offline viewing for past broadcast...

DNAbro

Better or worse than P4?

Kind of hard to say since there is a quite a bit that I didn't understand and I have like zero knowledge on what co-ops are about since they are mostly conversations.

Mechanically, yes the game is much better. Dungeons as a whole are way better than anything before. As for story I will say just from the major story beats
I don't think it will reach the emotional highs of P4 or P3. Overall I liked what I saw(emphasis on saw).

That's not a spoiler, I just didn't want to color anyone's perception of the game.

Check out on twitch. He's a fair amount in.

Just tried to block the account of someone who was posting spoilers on twitter and accidentally saw part of one in the process. I'm pretty sure I know what I saw, but I don't know if the image ends up leading to what I think it will or not. The wait is going to kill me.
That's my worst nightmare. Being given a spoiler that hints at something and makes me want to find out the answer. I've been using Twitter and FB and Reddit sparingly for that reason.

Feb. seems so far away.

Mediking

A long time ago... you guys recommended a good place to get Persona merchandise. What was that place again? I totally forgot.

Jintor

Csq7IDtUIAASqMl.jpg

ahahahaha it got here a day early

goodbye world

Zolo

Anyway, do we already know about same sex relationships? If we haven't heard anything yet by now I'm assuming it's not in.

There's a beach scene
of the protag and Ryuji getting hit on by a couple of flamboyant gay guys before running away.

Aside from that,
there's apparently context in Yusuke and Yuki's s. links, but there's no confirmation yet if they can be romanced, or if it's just fujoshi-bait. Ryuji can apparently ask the protag what type of person he likes, and if answered 'mysterious', he assumes he's talking about Yusuke.

jzbluz

For anyone who wants to listen to the ost outside of youtube, there's a playlist on soundcloud.

I've met people in rl who have played persona, one of them recommended P4G right away when I told him I bought a vita, but I wouldn't call any of them friends. I think my brother might have played P3 and P4 since I gave him the two games with my PS2, but I don't remember ever talking about the series with him.

DNAbro

Why would you do that to yourself?

Anyway, do we already know about same sex relationships? If we haven't heard anything yet by now I'm assuming it's not in.

I'm going to say no on that. Not a 100% no cause it seems the people who ran through it quickly mostly ignored
Yusuke
's Co-op and by some small chance it might be there but I wouldn't count on anything. Gonna just flat out say no on
Yuki

Also I just started watching saying "oh I'll just see the starting part" and then it became the next dungeon and the next dungeon and the next one.

A long time ago... you guys recommended a good place to get Persona merchandise. What was that place again? I totally forgot.
I would also like to know this place.
There's a beach scene
of the protag and Ryuji getting hit on by a couple of flamboyant gay guys before running away.

Aside from that,
there's apparently context in Yusuke and Yuki's s. links, but there's no confirmation yet if they can be romanced, or if it's just fujoshi-bait. Ryuji can apparently ask the protag what type of person he likes, and if answered 'mysterious', he assumes he's talking about Yusuke.
Man again with the offensive gay stuff. Christ Atlus get with the fucking times already. I know "Operation Babe Hunt" is now a series staple but no one finds that shit funny except 4chan basement dwelling losers. Or otakus. Take your pick. Just cringey especially if you try to bait female fujoshi at the same time...

Still holding out hope though in this game.

If not then for Persona 6.

DNAbro

I would also like to know this place.

Man again with the offensive gay stuff. Christ Atlus get with the fucking times already. I know "Operation Babe Hunt" is now a series staple but no one finds that shit funny except 4chan basement dwelling losers. Or otakus. Take your pick. Just cringey especially if you try to bait female fujoshi at the same time...

Still holding out hope though in this game.

If not then for Persona 6.

After reading waaaaaay too many spoilers on 4chan, I don't think anyone even finds that funny. Most don't give a shit, but not funny.

After reading waaaaaay too many spoilers on 4chan, I don't think anyone even finds that funny. Most don't give a shit, but not funny.
Yeah so I don't even know why Atlus keeps doing this shit. There's a very specific subset of Persona fans this pleases, Gators with animu avatars. The overwhelming majority are here for great characters that connect with us on a personal level along with a good story. So why? It's either offensive or just annoying (like to me).

Oh well. Maybe Persona 6 then.

Zolo

Yeah so I don't even know why Atlus keeps doing this shit. There's a very specific subset of Persona fans this pleases, Gators with animu avatars. The overwhelming majority are here for great characters that connect with us on a personal level along with a good story. So why? It's either offensive or just annoying (like to me).

Oh well. Maybe Persona 6 then.

Atlus's writing is aimed at the Japanese audience. No idea if anyone there finds it particularly funny either since I don't see it that often now, but they're not really paying attention to it here.

Lynx_7

Atlus's writing is aimed at the Japanese audience. No idea if anyone there finds it particularly funny either since I don't see it that often now, but they're not really paying attention to it here.

Considering how stuff like Hard Gay is popular around Japan I'm guessing a considerable part of them do find this kind of stereotype funny.

The west is gonna love that scene, Polygon be having a field day. :p

Considering how stuff like Hard Gay is popular around Japan I'm guessing a considerable part of them do find this kind of stereotype funny.

The west is gonna love that scene, Polygon be having a field day. :p

True. I guess there are some cultural barriers that make me uncomfortable. As an Asian, I just feel bad we're so... In the past. I mean one of my favorite jrpg characters of all time is Kanji. I want to see my favorite JRPG series become a little bit more mature in being progressive.

Anyway, it's like I said. Persona 6 perhaps?

There's a beach scene

Aside from that,

I fucking hate Atlus.

Zolo

True. I guess there are some cultural barriers that make me uncomfortable. As an Asian, I just feel bad we're so... In the past. I mean one of my favorite jrpg characters of all time is Kanji. I want to see my favorite JRPG series become a little bit more mature in being progressive.

Anyway, it's like I said. Persona 6 perhaps?

Eh. I'm southern and live in south US, so I kinda know the feeling. As for P5, maybe if it does successful enough in the US, they'll at least look out more for what could possibly hurt them in the west in the future? At least in this regards anyway.

That said, it doesn't really change the fact that it shows how they personally view these matters, so it'd only be done to maybe avoid controversy in the future.

There's a beach scene

Aside from that,

Yeah, there definitely seems to be a lot of borderline romance-y scenes with Yusuke. If not, Atlas has gone to town with the queer-baiting. (As you said, in the case of Atlas' intention, it's more like fujoshi-bait!) It's a real shame, because of all the themes P5 deals with, this might of been an ideal time for Atlas to try a gay romance again. Queer-baiting is in some ways worse than not bothering with any 'what if?' subtext at all. I thought the fact the trophy was gender neutral had some potential. On the other hand, someone mentioned on Reddit that there aren't blushing portraits for any of the guys from the data mining, whereas pretty much all of the women have them.

Hopefully someone finishes poor Yusuke's co-op soon. People have pointed out he might have a potential romance trigger in one of his earlier co-op levels. Has anyone finished Yuki's?

DNAbro

Yeah, there definitely seems to be a lot of borderline romance-y scenes with Yusuke. If not, Atlas has gone to town with the queer-baiting. (As you said, in the case of Atlas' intention, it's more like fujoshi-bait!) It's a real shame, because of all the themes P5 deals with, this might of been an ideal time for Atlas to try a gay romance again. Queer-baiting is in some ways worse than not bothering with any 'what if?' subtext at all. I thought the fact the trophy was gender neutral had some potential. On the other hand, someone mentioned on Reddit that there aren't blushing portraits for any of the guys from the data mining, whereas pretty much all of the women have them.

Hopefully someone finishes poor Yusuke's co-op soon. People have pointed out he might have a potential romance trigger in one of his earlier co-op levels. Has anyone finished Yuki's?

Yes, I watched Yuki's finish and saw most of his. Can't understand but there wasn't anything that stood out. His actual Co-op actually seemed really interesting. But if there is anything, it would be behind a flag that nobody chose yet. Same would be Yusuke, I know people have finished it but no one has said anything else in that regard. The main streamers that are close to finishing pretty much ignored him.

I dunno how anyone could possibly expect anything other than queerbating. That seems to be the absolute best they can do (lol P4). Which makes sense cuz like, it's not like same sex relationships are actually a thing, right? That's all just fetishes and jokes because no "normal" person would ever be attracted to anyone of the same sex. This is pretty much the vibe Atlus gave out with P3 and P4, and now P5.

I can accept there being no gay romance. Hell, I was expecting it. With how juvenile P3 and P4 and their spinoffs were about this, they obviously aren't "there yet". What drives me up the fucking wall though is that they keep doing their whole casual homophobia shtick in this, the year of our lord 2016. In their big important social commentary series, of which P5 evidently tackles some very real and dark issues. This issue isn't worth tackling, though. Let's just keep making jokes about how gross and perverse gay people are. Funny!

If I sound bitter it's because I am. I'll stop being bitter when Atlus stop being terrible about this. Fucking Danganronpa is more progressive than Persona 5. (Context-light spoilers for Danganronpa 3)
DR has a character who's taken seriously and not defined by their sexuality at all. It's something they struggle with and it adds context to their actions.
It's not the best LGBT representation imaginable, sure, but it's respectfully done. It's pretty much the bare fucking minimum, but that's apparently way too much to ask from Persona. I love these games, but it's pretty abundantly clear that I'm nowhere near its target audience.

Is there anything I need to mark as a spoiler? I personally don't think so since I'm only ranting about something that isn't in the game and what is already known to be Atlus's stance on this subject, but I'll edit in black bars if they're needed.

OrionX

I dunno how anyone could possibly expect anything other than queerbating. That seems to be the absolute best they can do (lol P4). Which makes sense cuz like, it's not like same sex relationships are actually a thing, right? That's all just fetishes and jokes because no "normal" person would ever be attracted to anyone of the same sex. This is pretty much the vibe Atlus gave out with P3 and P4, and now P5.

I can accept there being no gay romance. Hell, I was expecting it. With how juvenile P3 and P4 and their spinoffs were about this, they obviously aren't "there yet". What drives me up the fucking wall though is that they keep doing their whole casual homophobia shtick in this, the year of our lord 2016. In their big important social commentary series, of which P5 evidently tackles some very real and dark issues. This issue isn't worth tackling, though. Let's just keep making jokes about how gross and perverse gay people are. Funny!

Completely agree. It's not like I expect to be completely catered to, but in such a well written series that deals with relationships and complex issues, it's a shame they're not willing to cross that line. Then to feel reduced to a joke or punchline doesn't help matters.

DNAbro

If I sound bitter it's because I am. I'll stop being bitter when Atlus stop being terrible about this. Fucking Danganronpa is more progressive than Persona 5. (Context-light spoilers for Danganronpa 3)
DR has a character who's taken seriously and not defined by their sexuality at all. It's something they struggle with and it adds context to their actions.
It's not the best LGBT representation imaginable, sure, but it's respectfully done. It's pretty much the bare fucking minimum, but that's apparently way too much to ask from Persona. I love these games, but it's pretty abundantly clear that I'm nowhere near its target audience.

Is there anything I need to mark as a spoiler? I personally don't think so since I'm only ranting about something that isn't in the game and what is already known to be Atlus's stance on this subject, but I'll edit in black bars if they're needed.

Nothing is really spoilery so you good.

and on one more, I guess positive, note (light spoiler)
you can work in an okama/gay bar in Shinjuku. While I have no idea what is actually said there, it is there so I want to make note.

And yeah as much as I love these games, it's a bit upsetting.

At least there is Persona 6 to look forward to right????

Top Bottom