• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Mafia |OT| Memento Mori

So you voted by RNG one of the top posters on the game? Generally by RNG you try to make some people more participative but I don't think that's my case. If you suspect me just say so but RNG is bullshit on me. You are new and I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I just told Siri to pick a number between 1 and 20 and it said 7.

I'm just trying to feel my way thru my first ever game of this. Honestly not dropping any crumbs.

Sorian

Banned
Except he didn't justified it as you said, so parcial credit.

Right, that's my point. Scum new to this would have tried making a real vote right there not hopping on the RNG bandwagon. I'd expect balls like that from someone more used to this OR someone who didn't read my post which is also possible.

franconp

Also this is an overreaction, RNG is a random pick from everyone. It doesn't preclude top posters in any way. Early pressure voting is usually done to get the inactive chatting but that's not why they said they laid their vote. I don't like the motivation of their vote but I like your response even less.

So you don't like RNG at this point but also don't like when I make a point about it.

Some logic you have.

Also this is an overreaction, RNG is a random pick from everyone. It doesn't preclude top posters in any way. Early pressure voting is usually done to get the inactive chatting but that's not why they said they laid their vote. I don't like the motivation of their vote but I like your response even less.

Just to be clear: I went with an RNG vote because I don't know anything about anyone yet. And your post about stirring up reactions is what motivated me to do it. You seem skilled at the game, so I figured I'd follow your lead.

Style

Banned
Leaving to work in like an hour and maybe I'll be able to catch up tonight, maybe not but for now I'll do this:

VOTE: II-Vanguard-II

Going to give exmachina the benefit of the doubt on trying to yank my chain purposely and with the lack of info, the only three I'd really vote on now are Vanguard for his inconsistent RNG vote (still think his vote more than Zipped's, for example, makes less sense since he did seem to have some starting reads, Zipped, not really for his RNG vote but more because he felt the need to over explain it which read as off to me, and Style as just a mini connector to Vanguard on agreeing why he RNG'd. At this point, I think thoughts on Star don't mean much either way.

Would this win some trust back?

Sorian

Banned
So you don't like RNG at this point but also don't like when I make a point about it.

Some logic you have.

The point you made had nothing to do with RNG, that was the problem. You knocked it because it didn't land on a low poster but that's like saying it's impossible for the dealer in blackjack to get 21 because RNG doesn't do that. It doesn't make sense.

franconp

Right, that's my point. Scum new to this would have tried making a real vote right there not hopping on the RNG bandwagon. I'd expect balls like that from someone more used to this OR someone who didn't read my post which is also possible.

You are counting that scum can't chat between them and that there isn't an experienced player amongst them.

There has been like less than 4 hours of game and a lot of players haven't said anything yet. All the players will change their votes before the days end. Targeting an active player at random to get reads it's not a good strategy. The reads are already there.

Sorian

Banned
Just to be clear: I went with an RNG vote because I don't know anything about anyone yet. And your post about stirring up reactions is what motivated me to do it. You seem skilled at the game, so I figured I'd follow your lead.

I wouldn't blindly trust people, from your perspective I could be just as evil as anyone else.

Would this win some trust back?

Not particularly. Are you voting him because I am or because he did something you didn't like?

franconp

He is the top 4 player in the world so you are in good hands (unless he is scum)

So yours really was purely an OMGUS vote. That aside, what reason do you have to not suspect Sorian? And does that mean you only intend to vote on people you suspect moving forward?

For one, I didn't even know OMGUS was a thing. I'll keep an eye on Sorian for suspicious or inconsistent behavior, but I don't have a logical reason for keeping the vote on him and I don't want to cause undue animosity.

No, I won't say that I only intend to vote on people I suspect moving forward, that would remove a tool that's important to the game.

Style

Banned
I wouldn't blindly trust people, from your perspective I could be just as evil as anyone else.

Not particularly. Are you voting him because I am or because he did something you didn't like?

Certainly not with me. As Sorian asked, are you voting for his target simply because it's his?

1. I'm going to follow your lead 2. It's a "OMGUS" vote (thanks for adding that to my vocabulary Flux!).

Banned
I'm personally having a hard time trusting anyone voting so early.
How come? People are trying to vote for others in hope of generating discussion.

Personally while I don't agree with RNG voting, people are just trying to generate discussion in hopes of getting new info.

Verelios

I'm getting a weird vibe from you two, so either I'm crazy (very possible!) or something's afoot...afeet, going on.

Sorian

Banned
Will be back later to replay to specific things but just as a general blanket statement to some of the last few posts. Do not blindly trust me or anyone else. If you don't have a specific reason that's a little bit more than "gut feeling" then you're potentially shooting yourself in the foot.

FluxWaveZ

He's experienced as hell and hey, we got to start somewhere.

1. Him being experienced doesn't mean he's not a player with motivations of his own with win conditions that match yours.

2. "Going with the flow" is very blatantly scum/neutral behavior.

franconp

Let's make a summary:

So Sorian don't think it's a good idea to RNG at this point:

So about an hour in and no one has said anything that skewed you one way or the other that you felt an RNG vote was your best bet?

Plop vote's by RNG:

RNG:
Vote: franconp

So that's a town read from Sorian:

I'd be highly surprised if a new scum just did the exact thing that I reprimanded and voted on in the post right above them, so that's a partial town read.

Weird right?

I say that voting by RNG to an active player is bullshit (which is something similar as Sorian said before):

So you voted by RNG one of the top posters on the game? Generally by RNG you try to make some people more participative but I don't think that's my case. If you suspect me just say so but RNG is bullshit on me. You are new and I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

So Sorian thinks I'm overreacting for saying something similar as him:

Really weird right?

Then Sorian said that I wasn't talking about the RNG (which it was the main point of my post):

The point you made had nothing to do with RNG, that was the problem. You knocked it because it didn't land on a low poster but that's like saying it's impossible for the dealer in blackjack to get 21 because RNG doesn't do that. It doesn't make sense.

It's reaaaaally weird or I'm going crazy?

And Sorian pointed out that new scum players wouldn't do that (as they play alone and make strategies with more experienced players):

I'm still waiting on a response on that.

Opinions?

Natiko

Banned
I could be mistaken, but to me it seems like a bit of a miscommunication. Him pointing out that RNG would ignore post count doesn't contradict him saying that he does not like people continuing to RNG vote at this point. He's not wrong that true RNG would not take into account post tally. So while he frowns on them for continuing to RNG vote, he frowns more on you for claiming RNG should not truly be random.

Hopefully that made sense. I had to read the whole string of posts like five times to even parse what was happening.

I don't think it's going to be beneficial to anybody but scum to focus on Star's pre-game post at the moment (not a bad idea too keep on eye on people who did want to discuss it though I suppose?), but I do think it's worth noting that she posted "rip ouro" shorty after the game started... and then nothing else. This was a fairly low effort check in post, which I don't tend to like. It's something to keep in mind going forward.

I'm going to out my vote on Style for now. Voting on somebody to "win some trust"? Icky. Following Sorian's lead just because he's experienced? Ehhhh, we shouldn't encourage that mindset. A good scum will try to leas town discussions, and Sorian is a definitely good player. Going with the flow, as Flux put it, is not going to be how town wins this game.

VOTE: Style

Franconp: Nothing about what Sorian was saying seems particularly weird to me? RNG is RNG, it doesn't discriminate based on post count (unless you exclude frequent posters, which I'm assuming wasn't the case here). Your problem with plop's vote seemed to be that he voted for you despite your high activity, but if it was RNG'd then there's no issue (beyond the fact that it is an RNG vote, which Sorian agrees was a poor decision). While I can see why a scum Sorian might have reacted the way he did to a scum plop's vote on you, I don't think it's at all inconsistent with how a town Sorian would react either.

Kerned

Banned
It's like the core of any online Mafia game, at least on GAF.

Either you don't know that's how the game's played or you're attempting to deflect suspicion.

It's my first game, so I wouldn't disagree that I don't know how the game's played. Basic, yes. Strategy, not so much! Working on it.

franconp

And the town read part? That's what I find more strange. So RGN is bad but 4 post later is a town read? That isn't weird?

Natiko

Banned
And the town read part? That's what I find more strange. So RGN is bad but 4 post later is a town read? That isn't weird?

I can't really say on that part. I don't have enough familiarity with this game having only read one and a half previous gafia games to know if a scum or town was more likely to have RNGed at that point. I would've assumed it to be a bad player, town or scum to do that. Sorian claims it's a bad town or a bold scum. Not sure I agree with that, but I don't strongly disagree either.

Partial town read.* Sorian said that it didn't seem likely a new scum player would go ahead and do exactly what he said looked suspicious. It's not that an RNG vote was suddenly a town move, but the context the vote appeared in would be strange for a newbie scum. When I was a first time scum in my last game, I was terrified of acting suspiciously and was super cautious as a result. Considering this is plop's first game, if he is also a first time scum player (I don't have reason to believe this yet, it's just an a consideration for this example), I would think there's a decent chance he's not going to want to be really bold straight off of the bat. I don't think we should necessarily write this case off as solved, but I do think we can file it away for the time being until we've got more reason to suspect either Sorian or plop (or both). As it stands, I don't think it's all that weird.

Just joined the lunch mob myself so i can post a bit but I'll be actively mostly in evening here.

This rng thing is much ado about nothing. Rng votes are dumb enough on their own without centering the day's discussion on them. Let's turn that energy somewhere else.

Just joined the lunch mob myself so i can post a bit but I'll be actively mostly in evening here.

This rng thing is much ado about nothing. Rng votes are dumb enough on their own without centering the day's discussion on them. Let's turn that energy somewhere else.

What's for lunch?

franconp

Well, voting without giving a motive isn't much different from a RNG, so care to elaborate.

Style

Banned
The way I see it, RNG is really just because they are too indecisive to pick who to pressure vote. I really think you are overthinking it.

franconp

The way I see it, RNG is really just because they are too indecisive to pick who to pressure vote. I really think you are overthinking it.

You need to reread. He said that RNG was bad but in the SAME post basically did that.

If you are voting for someone you have to give reasons. If not is simple RNG. That's why I want to know the reasons.

TheExodu5

Banned
At a concert right now. I'll catch up and contribute tonight or tomorrow morning.

My Personas. Let me show you dem.

GAFIA is back!

Boxed lunches?

That's the right answer.

Today's lunch is California rolls!

Hamburger and the co-worker social link.

KRGOZ2f.png

Banned
I know it's still early in Day One but

VOTE: Style

Reason being is while they have a decent amount of posts in this thread majority of them don't really have anything substantial (I know the same could be said for me, which is partly why I'm making a post like this). They admit to voting for II-Vanguard-II simply to "win some trust back". As previously stated, following someone's lead is not a good idea, no one knows anything about each other in this game and Sorian could very well be scum. Any Style post after #177 does not give us anything.

Like I said it is still early in the game but I want to get my vote out there. At the moment Style does not look like a Town player.

Top Bottom