• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q : some details and screenshots from Famitsu

Ironjam

I've heard that SMT games sell really poorly in Europe, but I have no idea if that is true at all.

Of course they do when they arent released here and if they are its months later than in the us. Many EU fans are used to importing them from the us i bet.

Anyway, game looks pretty good and im dying for some more dungeon crawling. Already playing Demon Gaze and getting EO:U tomorrow. Will buy when it comes to EU in 2016.

tumblr_inline_n2y54dfWci1sphx85.gif

You had to go and say that lol

You do it too, don't hide it. I'm a shameless Play Coin whore, I'll shake all those 3DSs up and down because they pay me good with dem Play Coins.

spiritfox

Isn't that presumably the reason why SMT4 hasn't come over there in the first place?

Wait, Atlus actually treats Detective as actually being canon? That always seemed on the same level as Trinity Soul to me.

True. I don't see any scenes being that nuanced as far as character dynamics go, but in a fanservice game like this, silly might be good.

Never mind that; I just noticed how few icons there are. I hope there's another page or another way to bring up more. If that's all we get, then that's a pretty big indicator of the dungeons not being that complex, although I am glad to see that laying out panels for auto-walking looks more streamlined.

There are some icons on the map that are not on the sidebar. Either there's another page, or they're put there automatically.

kunonabi

1st person dungeons don't bother me since I much preferred the persona1/2 dungeons over the shit we got in the later games.

Dantis

Wait, Atlus actually treats Detective as actually being canon? That always seemed on the same level as Trinity Soul to me.

They've never said either way. Hashino consulted on the plot though, and Soejima designed Naoto and whatever the robot guy is called.

Comparatively, they actually came out and said that Trinity Soul isn't canonical.

There are 2D portraits in P3 and 4 because the in-game models themselves are fairly ugly and lifeless, and look nothing like the concept art. With the chibi models, this isn't an issue and models are more animated this time around so it makes sense to give them more spotlight.

I would argue that the character models here are pretty ugly too, particularly when you see them animated.

1st person dungeons don't bother me since I much preferred the persona1/2 dungeons over the shit we got in the later games.

This is madness.

ohlawd

thank you random journo for confirming it's more like EO. well it's been confirmed a while back but now it's more confirmed :D

been so long since I got to play a Persona game with good gameplay

Refyref

I would argue that the character models here are pretty ugly too, particularly when you see them animated.

This is madness.

Not really, the animation of the models is pretty good. Definitely feels nicer than static 2D portraits.

And no, it's not madness, preferring dungeons designed by human hands over randomized repeating dungeons.

I mean they're by no means pretty models but at least they're properly animated and there's no need for 2D portraits when you can animate all the expressions and hand gestures and whatnot with 3D models that actually resemble the concept art. Portraits really should be the last resort when you have actual 3D models present because, for me anyway, they distract from the actual event that's supposed to be going on. This kinda bothered me in P3/4 (and they're not even as varied as those in the PSP version of P2:IS) and I hope the models in P5 will be detailed enough that we're finally rid of them in the next numbered game.

Jinko

Looks great, would have also preferred 3rd person but its pretty much Etrian with a lick of persona paint so its to be expected.

Only hope this comes to the EU.

I can't wait for all the complaints of difficulty when this comes out or the lack of social links. I'm conflicted, on one hand I want everyone to enjoy the game, but in the other hand, I love to see complaining :p

Oh and persona fans all confirmed for freaks who should get corralled into one discussion and never be allowed to leak into other Atlus series confirmed cuz that one guy said so, and yes, they made the characters "younger" specifically cuz that's what we all wanted all along and all of us play these games cuz we want to date the characters, right?

Meier

LOVE the art design for this, but that sort of movement system is so uninteresting to me. Might play it but unlikely.

ohlawd

complaining's not gonna happen. Like I think no one who's a Persona fan but not an EO fan will get this anyway.

wait no I'm underestimating the fanbase. EO games are well received and no one complains about their difficulty. It's expected.

Jinko

complaining's not gonna happen. Like I think no one who's a Persona fan but not an EO fan will get this anyway.

wait no I'm underestimating the fanbase. EO games are well received and no one complains about their difficulty. It's expected.

Picnic mode will solve all.

Trigger

I can't wait for all the complaints of difficulty when this comes out or the lack of social links. I'm conflicted, on one hand I want everyone to enjoy the game, but in the other hand, I love to see complaining :p

The Answer was pretty tough at times, and I assume most P3/P4 era fans have played through that. With all the fanservice and the sub-persona system I think the complaints will be smaller.

Soriku

The Answer was pretty tough at times, and I assume most P3/P4 era fans have played through that. With all the fanservice and the sub-persona system I think the complaints will be smaller.

I think a lot of people gave up on the Answer.

Dantis

Loads of people in our own beloved thread haven't played through The Answer, so I imagine there's a very large percentage of the fanbase as a whole who haven't.

Really wish Persona 2 got love in these crossover games. =/
Though if they ever made an appearance I would just have Maya, Lisa, and Ulala team up while telling everyone else to fuck off.

Still got my eye on this. More EO never hurts.

Which EO would people suggest for someone new to the series?
The way the series works is that each game has been easier/more accessible than the last. In many ways this has been a good thing though because the first game, for example, is quite dated and obtuse in many ways. So, try EOIV or EO: Untold. Download the demo for both and give them a whirl if you can. Worth noting that Untold also has a story mode with actual characters (and some VA) and plays really fast on the highest settings (battle animation/text, floor navigation + even floor jumping) and EOIV has a world map that you can also navigate along with smaller dungeons which gives the game a bigger scope than past EO games (expanding further on the side quest ship sailing aspect in EOIII). EOIV is my favourite, but I'm not done with Untold.

Dantis

Really wish Persona 2 got love in these crossover games. =/

Still got my eye on this. More EO never hurts.

Different team and a largely different continuity. There's not really much reason to put those characters in, and I think a large amount of the current Persona fanbase is okay with that.

Nachos

Which EO would people suggest for someone new to the series?

The general consensus is that 3 and 4 are the best in the series, but 4 is much more accessible and streamlined. Untold, on the other hand, went too far with that, I think. It added a lot of neat (though not game changing) options for making the game Eben more streamlined than 4, but it also added some that made the difficulty much more uneven. It's really heightened when, as a remake of 1, it still shared a lot of design problems with its predecessor (1 is fun, but it's a VERY broken game). By contrast, 4 has a much nicer learning curve.

Untold also added a story mode with predefined characters, but they're such cardboard cut outs that I really wonder why they bothered. It also prevented you from using any classes aside from the assigned five, which took away your ability to make a party specifically tailored to your tastes. Q looks like what Untold should have been in the first place; each character might be locked to certain skills, but the sheer number of them gives you a ton of versatility.

Either way, you can download demos for 4 and Untold to try 'em out, and their save files will transfer to the full game if you like what you play.

For the record, I've completed all of them except 2, and my personal favorite is 4.

I have the PS1 version but haven't started. Don't want to since I want the PSP version instead :(

Well its never coming out so you best just give up that hope :'(

Different team and a largely different continuity. There's not really much reason to put those characters in, and I think a large amount of the current Persona fanbase is okay with that.

Different team is valid, different continuity is not, and your last sentence is just lame.

The general consensus is that 3 and 4 are the best in the series, but 4 is much more accessible and streamlined. Untold, on the other hand, went too far with that, I think. It added a lot of neat (though not game changing) options for making the game Eben more streamlined than 4, but it also added some that made the difficulty much more uneven. It's really heightened when, as a remake of 1, it still shared a lot of design problems with its predecessor (1 is fun, but it's a VERY broken game). By contrast, 4 has a much nicer learning curve.

Untold also added a story mode with predefined characters, but they're such cardboard cut outs that I really wonder why they bothered. It also prevented you from using any classes aside from the assigned five, which took away your ability to make a party specifically tailored to your tastes. Q looks like what Untold should have been in the first place; each character might be locked to certain skills, but the sheer number of them gives you a ton of versatility.

Either way, you can download demos for 4 and Untold to try 'em out, and their save files will transfer to the full game if you like what you play.

For the record, I've completed all of them except 2, and my personal favorite is 4.

The way the series works is that each game has been easier/more accessible than the last. In many ways this has been a good thing though because the first game, for example, is quite dated and obtuse in many ways. So, try EOIV or EO: Untold. Download the demo for both and give them a whirl if you can. Worth noting that Untold also has a story mode with actual characters (and some VA) and plays really fast on the highest settings (battle animation/text, floor navigation + even floor jumping) and EOIV has a world map that you can also navigate along with smaller dungeons which gives the game a bigger scope than past EO games (expanding further on the side quest ship sailing aspect in EOIII). EOIV is my favourite, but I'm not done with Untold.

EOIV is probably the easiest game and has smaller dungeons than the others I've played so it's probably a good start.

EOIII for awesome.

thanks for the info everyone

Untold also added a story mode with predefined characters, but they're such cardboard cut outs that I really wonder why they bothered. It also prevented you from using any classes aside from the assigned five, which took away your ability to make a party specifically tailored to your tastes.

You can change classes by retiring in story mode, IIRC.

Untold isn't a bad first foray. It is more difficult than 4, but alleviates that somewhat with extra stream lining (floor jump is pretty stupid). The biggest crime of Untold is giving you two game modes and one save slot. Sounds like Persona Q has made giant leaps in that respect.

Jinko

It also prevented you from using any classes aside from the assigned five, which took away your ability to make a party specifically tailored to your tastes. Q looks like what Untold should have been in the first place; each character might be locked to certain skills, but the sheer number of them gives you a ton of versatility..

I'm pretty sure untold lets you change classes later on, it doesn't actually tell you about it so you have to stumble on it by yourself.

No, NISA is shit. The only good thing are there release dates. But getting the games depending on the store is hard (they dont usually sell in Media Markt were you can find the games cheaper), and the prices are insane and never go down.
They dont even translate the games, FFS, do they think we are still in europe circa 1995?

What do I have to do, thank them for at least bringing the game without a fucking translation and marking the price up?
NISA can go and fuck off for all I care.
I prefer Nintendo, but I hope the game has a fucking sensible release date this time isntead of the SMTIV debacle.

What, what?
Here in Belgium (yeah, Belgium, one of the smallest country's of Europe) I can find those games in Game Mania, Fnac and Mediamarkt. And in the two Mediamarkt's I go, they are always cheaper then Fnac and Game Mania (think about 20-25%)

And I love Nisa, imagine how much games we would have missed if they didn't publish them. And it looks like they are bringing in some cash, otherwise they would have bothered anymore to release Atlus games...

Some people...

Top Bottom