• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

No, but I think Atlus will bring it over.

Unrelated:
Z4asD.jpg

Has anyone seen a high quality scan of this Maya-ShadowMaya/Artemis picture? It's a piece of Kaneko art I had never seen before until the other day, and its existence is maddening.

Never saw it either.

Sophia

Unrelated:
Z4asD.jpg

Has anyone seen a high quality scan of this Maya-ShadowMaya/Artemis picture? It's a piece of Kaneko art I had never seen before until the other day, and its existence is maddening.

Hey wow, that might be one of the few pieces of Kaneko art I like.

I can't seem to find the old P3 alpha/beta footage. Oh well. It was on a famitsu blog, but the only one I can find now is the Persona 3 Portable one.

PowderedToast

You're not alone, and it's the main reason why I can't blame Atlus for not bringing P2EP PSP or Soul Hackers over. New fans just don't care.

sad, but completely true.

i'm grateful for all the old persona/smt atlus has made the effort to localize in my language. that's the only way to roll when you're a fan of niche products.

Vamphuntr

Unrelated:
Z4asD.jpg

Pretty nice. Reverse image search tracks it back to a poster that was on sale at suruga-ya. Maybe it was only available as a poster? Someone scanned the one with Tatsuya at a better resolution though.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Its ok, the gameplay does not hold up really, even though I like it, I understand there are many who don't like that gameplay.

You're not alone, and it's the main reason why I can't blame Atlus for not bringing P2EP PSP or Soul Hackers over. New fans just don't care.

Yeah the demon negotiations were torture for me.

That said in what I played I didn't even like the characters, they just seemed so douchey and bland to me but again didn't get that far I guess.

If there was an anime version of p1-p2 I'd be interested to give it another shot at least story wise.

pwack

Do you really think western fans are going to react well to it?
You think people who hated P1 and P2 PSP are going to be totally in love with Soul Hackers? Heh.

What is Soul Hackers game play like? I have never been able to pin it down from the various articles/summaries I've read. First person dungeon crawl? (Yay!). Third person crawl? (Sure!). Does it have some sort of slow as shit demon negotiation like P1/P2 (boo!). Fun negotiation like Strage Jounrey? Some other mechanic?

That said in what I played I didn't even like the characters, they just seemed to bland to me but again didn't get that far I guess.

2 has the best characters of the series, some 4 characters are based on them

I do wonder what type of cast p5 will have. I want:

1. A yakuza member
2. A daughter of a Japanese prime minister
3.Some rockstar guy . I really loved rise so I'd like to see a another celebrity.
4. I wouldn't mind another android. Aigis was full of win.
5.I like the idea of someone who is really smart but it's too lazy to actually do anything. He could be knucklehead of the group. This guy would be the bff of the main protagonist(basically the Yosuke or Junpei off the group).
6. I would also like to see a Chie 2.0. I like the tomboy thing she had going on. The only difference is this character wouldn't be a total lame-o.

What is Soul Hackers game play like? I have never been able to pin it down from the various articles/summaries I've read. First person dungeon crawl? (Yay!). Third person crawl? (Sure!). Does it have some sort of slow as shit demon negotiation like P1/P2 (boo!). Fun negotiation like Strage Jounrey? Some other mechanic?

It's sort of like a proto-Strange Journey crossed with the setting of Persona 2.

I do wonder what type of cast p5 will have. I want:

1. A yakuza member
2. A daughter of a Japanese prime minister
3.Some rockstar guy . I really loved rise so I'd like to see a another celebrity.
5.I like the idea of someone who is really smart but it's too lazy to actually do anything. He could be knucklehead of the group. This guy would be the bff of the main protagonist(basically the Yosuke or Junpei off the group).
6. If also like to see a Chie 2.0. I like the tomboy thing she had going on. The only difference is this character wouldn't be a total lame-o.

1. Prototype Kanji looked totally like a Yakuza
4. How do you feel about Labrys?
6. You mean Lisa 3.0

Trigger

4) I have a feeling the androids are going to become a regular thing. I can't see Aigis and Labrys being the only ones. I hope we get a gender swap or something new though.

5) I have to wonder if the idea of the Magician character being the MC's closest friend is something intentional. It's only been done twice, but still.

Taruranto

If Atlus ever tries to tie P3/4 more closely into P1/2, it will be some sort of aftermarket effort, and not because it was originally intended. I don't think going back and changing the original games to fit better with that is a good idea at all (and I don't think they should even try to do it, I honestly don't like what they seem to be trying to do P4A, either). It all feels very fan-fictiony, because it is just tacked on stuff, trying to twist the past to suit some newly-formed narrative.

Agree. I remember back then, people weren't even sure whatever P3 was set in the same universe as P1-P2. Honestly, they shouldn't try to connect things too much because i'm not sure how well it would work. (Trying to fit the whole "Nyx was responsible for human life on Earth" in the main timeline for example gives me a headache..." )

Do you really think western fans are going to react well to it?
You think people who hated P1 and P2 PSP are going to be totally in love with Soul Hackers? Heh.

To be fair, Soul Hackers has a complete different kind of audience. P3-4 fanbase is pretty much set apart from the main series at this point.

4) I have a feeling the androids are going to become a regular thing. I can't see Aigis and Labrys being the only ones. I hope we get a gender swap or something new though.

5) I have to wonder if the idea of the Magician character being the MC's closest friend is something intentional. It's only been done twice, but still.

I hope not. It will get annoying. At least Labrys is a better character than Aigis. I hope they dont stick to tropes like the Magician being the friend. I hope for a Death, a Temperance, a Tower and a Devil party member.

P3/4 are set apart not from just SMT or Persona, but from the rest of Megaten, bar maybe Devil Survivor 1 and 2.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If Atlus ever tries to tie P3/4 more closely into P1/2, it will be some sort of aftermarket effort, and not because it was originally intended. I don't think going back and changing the original games to fit better with that is a good idea at all (and I don't think they should even try to do it, I honestly don't like what they seem to be trying to do P4A, either). It all feels very fan-fictiony, because it is just tacked on stuff, trying to twist the past to suit some newly-formed narrative.

Wasn't this the reasoning behind why P4A retconned a bunch of dates? I could've sworn I read something to that effect somewhere.

cj_iwakura

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People that brag about P4's protagonist is superior to P3's protagonist due to former didn't break an arm punching a Ctulhu need to realize that P4's version is Ctulhu is really, really weaksauce compared to P4's version. A random Japanese God against the freakin MOTHER OF ALL SHADOWS?

P3's protagonist >>> P4's protagonist, although if we are talking about the supporting cast then generally speaking P4's friends > P3's friends.

Also, surprised to see the Protagonist of the 1st Devil Survivor game hanging around on the same tier list as Hitoshura on that tier list... is he really that powerful?

People that brag about P4's protagonist is superior to P3's protagonist due to former didn't break an arm punching a Ctulhu need to realize that P4's version is Ctulhu is really, really weaksauce compared to P4's version. A random Japanese God against the freakin MOTHER OF ALL SHADOWS?

P3's protagonist >>> P4's protagonist, although if we are talking about the supporting cast then generally speaking P4's friends > P3's friends.

Also, surprised to see the Protagonist of the 1st Devil Survivor game hanging around on the same tier list as Hitoshura on that tier list... is he really that powerful?

He is the King of Bel, and is Abel, of Cain and Abel fame. He can defeat YHWH. Essentially, he is that universes Demifiend. In fact, his Naoya ending is the exact same ending as Demifiend's True Demon.

That said in what I played I didn't even like the characters, they just seemed so douchey and bland to me but again didn't get that far I guess.

If there was an anime version of p1-p2 I'd be interested to give it another shot at least story wise.
I suppose you like p4s bright and happy bullshit characters.

1. Prototype Kanji looked totally like a Yakuza
4. How do you feel about Labrys?
6. You mean Lisa 3.0
1. Yakuza kanji would have been soooooo freaking cool. I'm guessing they scraped out because it didn't fit the games "piss rainbows and shit unicorns while running through a field of flowers"theme.
4. Meh
6. Yesssssss

1. Yakuza kanji would have been soooooo freaking cool. I'm guessing they scraped out because it didn't fit the games "piss rainbows and shit unicorns while running through a field of flowers"theme.

Nope, Persona 4 originally was a very different beast. Essentially, what Persona 4 is now came from the team wanting to try something different

cj_iwakura

Uh, Izanami is the mother of all gods. That's hardly 'random', even if she is a joke in P4.

This sounds kind of bitter. I know you're just generalizing, but liking P3/P4 and not P1/P2 isn't really a bad thing. Just a difference in tastes. An unfortunate one, though.

I'm what you'd call a "new fan", as I jumped in at the original English release of P3, but I absolutely love P1, P2(x2) as well as P3 and P4.

I can understand being kind of miffed at P1 & P2 getting overlooked by 'new fans', but that's what happens to every series that gets popular. Just gotta roll with it!

Trigger

I hope not. It will get annoying. At least Labrys is a better character than Aigis. I hope they dont stick to tropes like the Magician being the friend. I hope for a Death, a Temperance, a Tower and a Devil party member.

P3/4 are set apart not from just SMT or Persona, but from the rest of Megaten, bar maybe Devil Survivor 1 and 2.

Me too actually. I'd like to see them play with the different arcana.

Aeana

This sounds kind of bitter. I know you're just generalizing, but liking P3/P4 and not P1/P2 isn't really a bad thing. Just a difference in tastes. An unfortunate one, though.

I'm what you'd call a "new fan", as I jumped in at the original English release of P3, but I absolutely love P1, P2(x2) as well as P3 and P4.

I can understand being kind of miffed at P1 & P2 getting overlooked by 'new fans', but that's what happens to every series that gets popular. Just gotta roll with it!
The reality is, though, that the games didn't sell that well, and I don't think Soul Hackers has very big sales potential in the west either.

Vamphuntr

Hopefully they give it some proper marketing. Like a tenth of the budget P4A had.

Marketing won't do much if people simply don't find the product appealing. Maybe they will still localize it, who knows but the fact they didn't bring EP PSP seems to be a fairly big hint.

Hopefully they still bring SMT4. I'm not sure I understand the complaints about the battle being played in first person perspective. Wasn't it always like that for the main SMT games outside of Nocturne?

As for the character design thing, I vastly prefer the arts from Persona 2 that of 3/4. I can actually count on my hand the number of characters which I liked the designs in 3/4.

cj_iwakura

Marketing won't do much if people simply don't find the product appealing. Maybe they will still localize it, who knows but the fact they didn't bring EP PSP seems to be a fairly big hint.

Hopefully they still bring SMT4. I'm not sure I understand the complaints about the battle being played in first person perspective. Wasn't it always like that for the main SMT games outside of Nocturne?

As for the character design thing, I vastly prefer the arts from Persona 2 that of 3/4. I can actually count on my hand the number of characters which I liked the designs in 3/4.

I think it's less a disdain for 2D and more a desire to bring back the Nocturne/DDS combat style, which I can kind of relate to, but I'm just glad we're even getting an SMT IV.

Soul Hackers isn't a PSP game that was released in the middle of 2012 in Japan, so there's that.

BlackJace

heard that in japan college/university life is rather boring. Heard that the Highschool life is the most fun/memorable part while college/university is all work and more work.

Hoo boy, I think I'll go down the list and cherry pick some of the initial questions to answer. Combination of both known details and speculation. I'm going to be basically stalking this topic now that I'm awaken. >_>;

A lot of folks wants an older setting.

Meaning we'll end up with a junior high setting instead. ;_;

Coming from the fact that college life is generally more serious than HS life, I think that that premise matches up with the story taking on a more serious tone, going by Arena's ending.

Aeana

You mean the games nobody in the west played?

Spinluck

Yeah, i'm a fan of early-Kanji as well.

This would be the kind of design i'd like too see in the next Persona game.

Eh, this design is nice, but I'm glad with what we got.

The tough guy look, but the teddy bear deep down inside suited Kanji well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom