• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Dinklage in Bungie's Destiny - That wizard came from the moon

Epcott

I think...

...he sounds like Peter Dinklage.

So job well done Peter, IMO. I personally wasn't expecting an award winning performance. Perhaps I should raise my expectations.

I can't imagine anyone sounding serious when speaking of "Space Wizards".

Alboreo

I'm not a fan at all. It sounds like he's completely bored out of his mind most of the time. I love Peter Dinklage, but his performance is overall really weak and I think it's a shame that the AI companion we're stuck with the entire game has little to no personality.

Seven, 12 Monkeys, Interview with the Vampire, Fight Club, Snatch, The Tree of Life, The Assassination of Jesse James... etc.

Nah, that dude is anything but overrated. If anything he's underrated as an actor because he still has that "pretty boy" image.

Add Inglourious Basterds to that list. He did a great job in that role.

How are you supposed to read "The wizard came from the moon" with a straight face.

The VO is bad, don't get me wrong, but I'd say the writing is even worse.

I thought the same when I heard that line. I was in awe of the bad writing. The Darkness from the moon wizard.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think the problem is that hes not allowed to use that wit and general attitude he has with most of the characters he plays. Thats why the voice in the alpha version we are seeing sounds so "lifeless".

How are you supposed to read "The wizard came from the moon" with a straight face.

The VO is bad, don't get me wrong, but I'd say the writing is even worse.

To be honest a lot of games would benefit from being a bit less straight-faced. THE WIZARD CAME FROM THE MOON could be a fucking amazing line if Bungie didn't seem so awestruck by their own lore.

Bad script poorly delivered. Adding a filter and reworking some parts of the script might help.

It's pedantic, I know, but 'uninterested' means 'bored', 'disinterested' means 'unbiased'.

antitrop

To be honest a lot of games would benefit from being a bit less straight-faced. THE WIZARD CAME FROM THE MOON could be a fucking amazing line if Bungie didn't seem so awestruck by their own lore.
Actually, some of BJ's lines about Nazis and the Moon from Wolfenstein were great. Laugh out loud on purpose, not because of bad writing and VO.

IISANDERII

Awful, I'm shocked to learn it's The Station Agent giving this performance.

There have been many actors playing artificial intelligences and this stands out as particularly bad and unconvincing.

Vire

Haha I can't stop laughing at the line. It's so bad it's good kinda thing. Thankfully, I absolutely adore the rest of the game (visuals, soundtrack, gameplay)...

I don't think they'll be writing extended fiction novels for this series like Halo. Who am I kidding! Of course they will, and I'll read about fucking moon wizards.

Myggen

Add Inglourious Basterds to that list. He did a great job in that role.

If we're going to mention all his good roles you could also mention Benjamin Button - not the best film, but his performance is fucking amazing. Of more recent performances I really liked him in 12 Years a Slave, and he's an amazing comedic actor too (Burn After Reading is a good example). He's a prime example of an actor who has chosen his roles pretty carefully with few duds, and he's the reason why The Assassination of Jesse James got made so that alone makes him a God.

But enough about Brad Pitt.

I think the problem is that hes not allowed to use that wit and general attitude he has with most of the characters he plays. Thats why the voice in the alpha version we are seeing sounds so "lifeless".
That's part of it. When I first booted the game up I had no idea who was talking to me. I finally realized it was Ghost but the lack of any altered voice is very odd.

fedexpeon

Banned
Should change thread's title to "How bad is the VA in Bungie's Destiny?"

Because overall, it is horrible.
They need to spend a few millions to redo the VA imo...Might as well hire Tom Hank since Bungie doesn't care about cost efficiently by using Dinklage as a VA.

antitrop

That's part of it. When I first booted the game up I had no idea who was talking to me. I finally realized it was Ghost but the lack of any altered voice is very odd.

Consider me part of the crowd that thought the voice was the main character's inner monologue, not the little robot thingy that comes up when you press the Touchpad in.

Vire

Should change thread's title to "How bad is the VA in Bungie's Destiny?"

Because overall, it is horrible.
They need to spend a few millions to redo the VA imo...Might as well hire Tom Hank since Bungie doesn't care about cost efficiently by using Dinklage as a VA.

What's wrong with the VA in the Tower? I didn't really notice anything too egregious.

Lemondish

I'm actually really enjoying him on this role I'm also really enjoying the 'wizard from hunger moon' lore because it reminds me of my favourite science fiction shows, not these serious dramas that happened to take place on a spaceship.

I don't want any change to the voice acting, to be honest.

Epcott

Imagining Tyrion Lannister sipping wine with nary a care while reading the script as he lays next to a naked wench is pretty entertaining in itself.

I like it!

Seven, 12 Monkeys, Interview with the Vampire, Fight Club, Snatch, The Tree of Life, The Assassination of Jesse James... etc.

Nah, that dude is anything but overrated. If anything he's underrated as an actor because he still has that "pretty boy" image.

So his physical appearance means he's a better actor? LOL.

Those are all great movies, but guess what? They're all Brad Pitt, playing Brad Pitt. Tyler from fight club is just brad pitt. He's the exact same guy in every single movie, occasionally throwing in a poor accent.

Echo Six

Neo Member
Just listened to some of the examples in this thread. Yeah some of the lines fall a bit flat but from some of the responses in here you'd think people were literally getting cancer from it. He sounds fine in the trailers, kind of a wry, sardonic personality which I like. Redo a couple lines, some light filtering/vocoding and its solid.

Darkangel

It just sounds like he's talking. It's like they gave him a piece of paper and said "could you read this for me?" then secretly recorded it.

I didn't realize he was my talking robot thing at first and had no idea where his voice was coming from.

garyBig

Well, at least it's soothing. And it certainly stands out more than (intrinsically) generic voices in a certain "Oh it's Dinklage talking to me again" kind of way.

fedexpeon

Banned
What's wrong with the VA in the Tower? I didn't really notice anything too egregious.

Talk to the class trainers.
Talk to the PVP/Faction vendors.
Talk to the bounties dude.

All reading lines. No emotion, just: Hey....you done yet?
The guy that decoded your stuff, well, I guess it fits him to be monotone.

I haven't played Destiny, but isn't Peter's character an AI construct like 343 guilty spark?

It being "bored" may be entirely intentional.

antitrop

I think it's just disappointing coming off of Halo. The best multiplayer announcer in games... to this.

Granted the idea of a multiplayer announcer is inherently cheesy.
And absolutely necessary. I fucking love multiplayer announcers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Bad

I'm not a huge fan of having a voice over in general talking as often as it seems to here, but the line direction to just say it so emotionlessly is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2ExS3Tgcs#t=9m03s

This part in the giant bomb video stuck out to me. They crafted a nice atmosphere, the music builds up tension...then an almost sarcastic sounding voice drops "it can't be, it's the hive" which seems like a quick way to take the player right out of it.

IT CAN’T BE

IT’S THE HIVE

Fehyd

Banned
Is the announcer/traveler priest dude Bill Nighy? Because that would be another incredible actor that people don't like the performance of.

Echo Six

Neo Member
Is the announcer/traveler priest dude Bill Nighy? Because that would be another incredible actor that people don't like the performance of.

Wait people are complaining about him too now? I thought his stuff was straight-up awesome. Guess I have low standards.

I always assumed it was intentional. It's like an AI reacting to things using phrases that are common for a person to say, like: "Oh look out!". But it isn't advanced enough to actually be able to react with emotion so everything comes out monotone.

Maybe that wasn't their intention and he phoned it in, but it is so obvious I mean I would think that they would have changed it a bit or edited in some way to sound more robotic, if that was the case. It isn't like there is a bunch of dialog, going from the alpha, that they couldn't edit a bit.

Myggen

So his physical appearance means he's a better actor? LOL.

Those are all great movies, but guess what? They're all Brad Pitt, playing Brad Pitt. Tyler from fight club is just brad pitt. He's the exact same guy in every single movie, occasionally throwing in a poor accent.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that he has been stuck with the "pretty boy" image most of his career which has made a lot of people not take him seriously as an actor despite his many great roles. See also: DiCaprio (even if I'm not as big a fan of him).

Also, I do not get that it's just "Brad Pitt playing Brad Pitt". He has comedic roles (12 Monkeys, Snatch) and deeply serious roles (Jesse James, Tree of Life etc.) and is a big part of what makes those movies great. What do most people remember from Snatch? Probably Brad Pitt the most, and I wouldn't exactly call that role the same as Jesse James but just with a "poor accent". Sure there are more versatile actors out there, but he has one of the best filmographies of any living actors and of course he's not overrated.

Also, this is very off topic :)

Loomba

Wasn't he all snarky and sarcastic as Ghost in the E3 2013 demo? They should have kept him like that.

He sucks as he is now.

Yoda

You guys need to keep the role he's being given in context... It's essentially the new version of spark 343, there isn't very much variation you can really give to the lines.

Problems with Ghost from an acting perspective:

1) It's a Robot.
2) The player never engages w/dialogue.
3) His main job is to be a narrator, but at the same time he's suppose to have some unspecified connection to the world, yet he also has to fill in the mundane lines such as daily quest objectives and interacting w/a world QTE.

You can't really put on a stellar performance given what the role is. Also giant LOL comparing this to Charles Dance in the Witcher 3. Emery (sp?) is a character from a very well established novel series which is strikingly similar to the role he plays in GoT. Not even remotely the case for Peter Dinklage.

Top Bottom