• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Dinklage in Bungie's Destiny - That wizard came from the moon

Definity

Definitely sounds like he is not even trying IMO. I actually have grown to like the crucible announcer but cringe every time ghost has something to say.

It doesn't help that some of the dialog is really cheeeeesy either.

So his physical appearance means he's a better actor? LOL.

That's...that's literally not even slightly what he said.

Those are all great movies, but guess what? They're all Brad Pitt, playing Brad Pitt. Tyler from fight club is just brad pitt. He's the exact same guy in every single movie, occasionally throwing in a poor accent.

This could literally be said about any actor ever, provided the person saying it doesn't like the actor in question. It's a cliche accusation that is generally meaningless. At its root, all acting is is people playing themselves while dressed in silly outfits and sometimes using fake accents.

For every actor you could say "loses himself/herself in that role," I could point to the same actor in the same scene of the same movie and make the same reductive argument you made above. And I wouldn't be wrong, just as you aren't.

But my statement would still be meaningless.

Edit: I just realized how off-topic this is. Apologies and I'm done with this branch of discussion.

From the sounds of the Witcher 3 trailer they hired Charles Dance and asked him to just be Tywin again, so it's not really a fair comparison.

So his physical appearance means he's a better actor? LOL.

Those are all great movies, but guess what? They're all Brad Pitt, playing Brad Pitt. Tyler from fight club is just brad pitt. He's the exact same guy in every single movie, occasionally throwing in a poor accent.

This guy knows how to read!
Lol.

molnizzle

Having an AI able to perfectly recreate the sound of a human voice and yet be unable to hit the correct timing and inflection of Human Speech is common in Sci-Fi. It's perfectly reasonable technique to get across that while the AI is intelligent enough to know that the social atmosphere is changing, it can't pick up and mimic the subtleties in Human speech. I.E. It knows something bad is happening and wants to express that humanly using Sarcasm, but doesn't know how to use vocal inflection and timing to fully properly use it.

That kind of stuff happens often enough it's gotta be a trope by now.

His performance was always very much even, which is the point. Dinklage is very even for the majority of his lines in the Alpha and yet people are labeling that as "he sound bored." He doesn't.

Dinklage is not even... like at all.

"That wizard came from the moon! But I thought we had them contained there. The darkness might be closer than we think..."

He doesn't sound like Data from Star Trek. If he did that'd be fine. He doesn't sound like Siri from my iPhone either. If he did that'd be fine.

He sounds like an actor giving a half-assed performance.

nomis

I mean, he is playing a AI and deliberately trying to sound like one.

No one criticized Kevin Spacey for his portrayal of GERTY in Moon did they?

All his voice needs is some light filtering to sell it.

Small difference here being that Spacey had brilliant and subtle inflection in that performance.

Put a Guilty Spark filter on him, and we have a winner.

Again, maybe it'll make him more tolerable, but Tim Dadabo sounds incredible and robotic without sounding bored when he has #nofilter in the making-of videos.

EDIT: http://youtu.be/0q69Msy8ttM?t=43m12s WATCH THIS SHIT

From the sounds of the Witcher 3 trailer they hired Charles Dance and asked him to just be Tywin again, so it's not really a fair comparison.

I had the exact opposite first impression from that trailer. He sounds less british, which is enough for me to appreciate him not being Tywin.

MormaPope

Banned
All the people saying "Its an AI, what do you expect?" when it comes to building a likable AI character:

halo-3-cortana-model.jpg

Spark-halo3.jpg

starwars.jpg

551293-hk47photoshoot1.jpg

SHODAN_hires.jpg

Shit, even Master Chief has his moments where his dialog is neat or awesome. Bungie messed up when it came to selling these characters in these environments.So you're telling me in a universe with super speedy hover bikes, some people having magical-esque powers, and advanced stuff in general, doesn't have interesting or vibrant AI?

Reading the rest of this thread, does no one else think it's deliberate? Everyone knows he's playing a robot right?

When R2-D2 beeps and bebops about I feel more emotion than when Dinklage says whole lines of dialog.

velociraptor

This is why I don't ever like seeing 'Hollywood' actors in video games. None of them give a shit.

All the best performances in video games have been from actual voice actors.

I can't remember the last time I heard a compelling performance from a film actor in a game. Really, I can't.

I actually like that they didn't put some bullshit screeching treble effect on it. Or that the sound effects arent mixed so loud that I have to lose my hearing to understand the VO. The entire game is very listenable.

I say leave it. It's good. Thanks for taking a risk to be different.

You can have mile a minute dialogue and plot twists over the com channels in any other game.

antitrop

Reading the rest of this thread, does no one else think it's deliberate? Everyone knows he's playing a robot right?

They deliberately made him sound like a bored human reading off hammily written dialogue, instead of a robot?

His voice sounds so much not like a robot that you don't even know he's supposed to be your AI companion. But definitely not in a good way, I mean in the worst way possible.

molnizzle

You guys need to keep the role he's being given in context... It's essentially the new version of spark 343, there isn't very much variation you can really give to the lines.

So what? He's not playing a robotic A.I. He says things like "I have a baaad feeling about this" and "Well, I'm ready if you are" as if he has human feelings. If he was saying robotic, "computery" lines that'd be one thing, but this A.I. is supposed to talk like a human.

Dinklage just phoned it in.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It feels confused to me, especially with stuff like the IT'S THE HIVE line which shows an infliction of emotion. It's like they went halfway with the idea, but he doesn't really have proper robot AI dialog. Instead it sounds bored.

Sounds fine.

Don't get why people want the robot to be conveying all these emotions... it's a robot.

I do agree it doesn't seem like it has been filtered properly yet.

This is why I don't ever like seeing 'Hollywood' actors in video games. None of them give a shit.

I can't remember the last time I heard a compelling performance from a film actor in a game. Really, I can't.

Stephen Merchant as Wheatly in Portal 2.

IMO, of course.

Edit: Also, isn't it kind of a broad brush (and damning accusation) to say "none of them give a shit"? Maybe they're doing their best but are unaccustomed to voice work? Maybe their directors suck? Maybe their dogs all died just before recording?

Just sayin'.

Can't help but compare it to Guilty Spark which they did the voice acting on perfectly. I think it has to do with the fact that they didn't alter his voice at all. Give it a bit of a robotic effect and it would be better. As of now he sounds like he's reading an audio book to me.

JayEH

If people are going to say "He's a robot, he should sound bored." or whatever let me bring up two examples:

1. Wheatley
2. Guilty Spark

velociraptor

Stephen Merchant as Wheatly in Portal 2.

IMO, of course.
Ah yes, he was fantastic. Although he doesn't really fit the image of an actor.

I also recognised the woman voice during the game. She has a slight European actor. I've seen her in some movies but I just cannot pinpoint who she is. Who is she?

molnizzle

It feels confused to me, especially with stuff like the IT'S THE HIVE line which shows an infliction of emotion. It's like they went halfway with the idea, but he doesn't really have proper robot AI dialog. Instead it sounds bored.

He has tons of emotion in his lines. The people saying "he's a computer" are crazy. Every other thing he says has some sort of infliction in the delivery. The delivery is just terrible.

MormaPope

Banned

This ain't true.

Sam Jackson and James Woods made San Andreas's really straightforward story a lot more fun. I like Kiefer in MGSV and I'm not alone on that one, hell, a lot of fans like Kiefer.

Didn't recognize the voice as Dinklage, but I thought it was so bad that I just assumed it had to be placeholder VO done by a random volunteer at Bungie. Very sad to find out that the voice came from a professional, and might be final. Has to have been terrible direction, Dinklage is a much better actor than that.

JayEH

Ah yes, he was fantastic.

I also recognised the woman voice during the game. She has a slight European actor. I've seen her in some movies but I just cannot pinpoint who she is. Who is she?

Are you thinking of the Middle Eastern lady from Mass Effect(she played one of the Quarian Admirals) and I think she was in a season of 24 (Season 4?).

nomis

If people are going to say "He's a robot, he should sound bored." or whatever let me bring up two examples:

1. Wheatley
2. Guilty Spark

Wheatley is a bad example I think, because while his performance is pitch perfect, he's not trying to sound artificial AT ALL. He sounds as bubbly and human as possible.

BAD

Dinklage sounds like he's phoning it in, really bland for the most part. I know he's playing the part of an A.I. companion, and an A.I. probably wouldn't show emotions, but his voice doesn't even sound robot-like and has some weird word emphasis in some lines. When you do the very first mission (kill the wizard), there's a point where he goes "It's the Hive!" and it sounds really bad; to me it sounds like he is very bored but injecting a tiny bit of surprise.

The Crucible announcer is also not good, especially when compared to the Halo announcer. Who is the voice director for this game? It just feels like he/she isn't doing a very good job directing Dinklage. Since this is the alpha we're playing, maybe some of this can be improved upon before the release in September.

Dany

Banned
I love how earnest the writing is with warlocks, wizards, moons and mars. But it needs a certain charisma to read likes like "the wizard came from the moon, oh not its THE HIVE" that he certainly does not have.

I feel like the performance is too consistently monotone to be labeled Peter Dinklage's fault. If he did not care what he was doing, then the performance would have been much more erratic. The vocal director defenitly asked for this, but it is still up in the air as to if that was a good idea or not.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They must've told him to give the most dry read ever, I'm pretty sure they recorded in the Sahara tbqh.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
They deliberately made him sound like a bored human reading off hammily written dialogue, instead of a robot?

His voice sounds so much not like a robot that you don't even know he's supposed to be your AI companion. But definitely not in a good way, I mean in the worst way possible.

I had seriously thought he was someone using the Ghost as a communication device to speak with the player and not actually the AI itself. D: Which is a bad thing...

molnizzle

Sounds fine.

Don't get why people want the robot to be conveying all these emotions... it's a robot.

I do agree it doesn't seem like it has been filtered properly yet.

Because he is conveying emotions. If he wasn't then this wouldn't be an issue. He's clearly supossed to think and feel just like a human. Dinklage just did a terrible job.

Besides, the Ghosts came from The Traveler. This isn't some shitty, human-designed early A.I. tech here.

It sounds like a performance that, if you threw a subtle vocoder filter on top, it would sound perfectly fine.

First post nails it. Bungie should pay mattiewheels here for the solution.

They really should take this advice. It would sound infinitely better (only going by what I've heard in preview footage...haven't played the alpha).

MormaPope

Banned
Here are some of the traits an AI character usually has:

Eccentric
Mechanical (this is the protocol, it has to be this way)
Polar (that is good, that is bad)
Curiosity
Personal inflection (Who am I? What am I?)
Cold
Brooding
Cowardly
Blindly heroic

With Destiny, I don't know if Dinklage is messing up or the writers/voice director did.

EL CUCO

Although I am beginning to get used to it. But I guess that could be that im just getting numb.

Being that its Peter Dinklage, I expected way more. Maybe when the full game ships, we hear some more of him and is vindicated. For now, anybody could've done what we're hearing.

Side note: it isn't the first time Dinklage phones it in. He was extremely bland as Trask in Xmen: DOFP

It's "Jill Sandwich" level shit, no hyperbole.

It's bad, but that bad? I don't know. "Jill Sandwich" is historically bad.

Like one of the worst lines ever written or uttered.

So bad that if an alien civilization passes by Earth and picks up a transmission that includes that line from that game, they won't hesitate to blast us to dust. And we will have deserved it.

Just awful.

DSN2K

I wonder if this is Activisions doing, looks good to have a famous voice actor over well...real voice actors.

MMaRsu

Banned

Honestly quite true.

shem935

Banned
I think it is cheesy in all the right ways! Makes me laugh everytime he speaks. "Oh no. It's the hive." "The wizard came from the moon." Kills me.

Bsigg12

It's kinda weird going from 2 AI characters in Guilty Park and Cortana that were very animated in their speech to this. I kind of expected a dry humor sort of AI after the E3 walkthrough last year but not a monotone one that sounds bored in every line.

Top Bottom