• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat4all

Banned
You don't have the most popular video game board (his money pit) have the most successful thread with his name being the first word you can Google literally the opposite of what you want - which is to silence him (which he should be).

you're reasoning here is ridiculous

boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif
i cannot believe this is real

u4iX

I'd be fired from my job if I did 1/10th of the bull that Pewds does. Why shouldn't he have his channel shut down and basically be fired for his crap? Mel Brooks was blacklisted for a decade for less

I think it's a combination of internet culture, multiplayer communication's typical "fucked your mom" stigma, YouTube's hesitation for potential backlash, and while I'm not for a channel shutdown, I think a suspension would be in order, and I think all jobs are different, and all positions in different workplaces are different, and expectations in different work environments and who your manager is and who your manager isn't all factors in, it's silly to think that you'd keep your job as a Kohl's cashier for using a racial slur, but a streamer on a platform, streaming a game that isn't your game, and having a reaction and a slip up, because we're all human and we're all not perfect and we've all said the wrong things at the wrong times, and we're all probably a little bit racist, that's why I think he shouldn't be fired or have his channel shut down for this crap.

Tain

That's not a reason to and I think that says more about you than anything.

which part says a lot about me, exactly?

the part where i claim pewdiepie would have no legitimate hardship after having his youtube revenue taken away? that's the part that condemns me?

the part where he casually calls someone a "fucking n*****" and suggests that he does it regularly just kinda gets brushed off into that "anything" bucket for you?

There is no defense for this, what a fucking joke

He's not some 14 year old raised in an environment without perspective/consequence. In that case it's like "hey this is fucking stupid, get your shit together before you become a worthless adult"

Instead he's a grown man with a gigantic fanbase and huge mainstream attention, and he's contributing to the environments of said 14 year olds (and younger). You're really so irresponsible and careless that you're just going to keep that in your vocabulary, regardless of intent?

This wasn't some "oops I got the most mad I ever did, this is the first time I've used this no-no word". This is "I use this all the time when I'm not on camera cuz who cares lol."

It doesn't matter if you don't think he's really racist. Like most slurs people toss around carelessly I think it just becomes a cool edgy word to say to mean "stupid" or insult someone. But the point is, that carelessness is fucking garbage and perpetuates the same bullshit regardless of intent.

Nor can you publicly and openly have people talking about him. It's great press for him.

You solve this problem locally. You don't support him and you let others know in your circle not to support him.

You don't have the most popular video game board (his money pit) have the most successful thread with his name being the first word you can Google literally the opposite of what you want - which is to silence him (which he should be).

Your lack of basic understanding would be baffling if I didn't assume you were being intellectually dishonest in every single one of your post.

I question your upbringing and current environment.

rocK`

Banned
It is a stupid argument that all press is good press.

It is actually stupid to believe that.

He lost revenue streams from the last fiasco he was in.

Are you capable of understanding basic logic?

Lol. There's too much in marketing and advertising that goes against what you're saying. It's like jersey shore, Kanye and OJ Simpson do not exist in your world.

Eylos

Banned
For why people defend him

He's rich, Male, White, straight, cis, good looking and from Europe. In criminology he got the bingo to get away from Jail or less years of prison.

Thats the type of man, media, movies, magazines sell as atractive and good guys.

Aselith

Nor can you publicly and openly have people talking about him. It's great press for him.

You solve this problem locally. You don't support him and you let others know in your circle not to support him.

Yes, it's fantastic press for more people to hear about your racism. Because I heard once that all press is good press

You need to stop commenting in race threads. I mean feel free if they speak to you but you are...not good at it

spannicus

I think it's a combination of internet culture, multiplayer communication's typical "fucked your mom" stigma, YouTube's hesitation for potential backlash, and while I'm not for a channel shutdown, I think a suspension would be in order, and I think all jobs are different, and all positions in different workplaces are different, and expectations in different work environments and who your manager is and who your manager isn't all factors in, it's silly to think that you'd keep your job as a Kohl's cashier for using a racial slur, but a streamer on a platform, streaming a game that isn't your game, and having a reaction and a slip up, because we're all human and we're all not perfect and we've all said the wrong things at the wrong times, and we're all probably a little bit racist, that's why I think he shouldn't be fired or have his channel shut down for this crap.
Man fuck outta here with this bullshit lol
Dude with millions of followers of all nationalities mostly young impressionable adults who know dick about life, See this fucking childish douche use the word over a fucking video game a simple game and they think its ok to do it aswell. The cycle will never fucking end. Fuck his job hes already made millions off of his followers who would rather sit around watching him have fun instead of having their own.

Mesoian

Alright, so his publisher is owned by disney and his channel is self admittedly watched world wide by children.

You still think it should just be a suspension?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

How can Google fire a guy for writing a manifesto about how women are inferior but then continue to pay a guy who is racist (complete with video evidence)???

u4iX

He's not some 14 year old raised in an environment without perspective/consequence. In that case it's like "hey this is fucking stupid, get your shit together before you become a worthless adult"

Instead he's a grown man with a gigantic fanbase and huge mainstream attention, and he's contributing to the environments of said 14 year olds (and younger). You're really so irresponsible and careless that you're just going to keep that in your vocabulary, regardless of intent?

This wasn't some "oops I got the most mad I ever did, this is the first time I've used this no-no word". This is "I use this all the time when I'm not on camera cuz who cares lol."

It doesn't matter if you don't think he's really racist. Like most slurs people toss around carelessly I think it just becomes a cool edgy word to say to mean "stupid" or insult someone. But the point is, that carelessness is fucking garbage and perpetuates the same bullshit regardless of intent.

I guess I just don't think it does, and while it makes me think less of PewDiePe, I don't think it perpetuates anything.

rocK`

Banned
Your lack of basic understanding would be baffling if I didn't assume you were being intellectually dishonest in every single one of your post.

I question your upbringing and current environment.

Im glad you find it more assuring to personally attack me (and others here that are doing the same) than actually understand the argument.

Lol. There's too much in marketing and advertising that goes against what you're saying. It's like jersey shore, Kanye and OJ Simpson do not exist in your world.

Thank you for confirming my assumptions on your intelligence.

You know just as much about marketing and advertising as you do about logic.

Im glad you find it more assuring to personally attack me (and others here that are doing the same) than actually understand the argument.

Only observations. You understand nothing.

So when was the last time you used the n-word?

I guess I just don't think it does, and while it makes me think less of PewDiePe, I don't think it perpetuates anything.

30 year old millionaire with huge following says nigger twice on stream while showing no regret. You think it's not a big deal?

Gaming community sucks.

The problem is that silence is compliance basically. If you ignore hatred and bigotry it doesn't go away. It festers and explodes

Fredrik

Don't think PewDiePie did anything wrong, people misspeak, seems he was genuine in knowing he slipped up, he probably shouldn't be using that word, but I don't think he was using it in a way meant to disparage any particular race.
Doesn't make it any less wrong. In Sweden the word ni**er* isn't as loaded as it is in english talking countries, there is even sweets which probably half the population still calls ni**er balls even though the correct word since decades ago is chocolate balls. But he's an adult and if you're younger than 40 you've been told during your whole time in school to not use the word in a negative way. It might've been a slip up but he should've stopped doing those many many years ago, those that still use the word that way definitely has some rasistic thoughts.

Mesoian

For why people defend him

He's rich, Male, White, straight, cis, good looking and from Europe. In criminology he got the bingo to get away from Jail or less years of prison.

Thats the type of man, media, movies, magazines sell as atractive and good guys.

It's less than that. He is the guy that lonely gamers growing up with few friends and only video games to console themselves compared themselves with who actually made it. He succeeded, he won, and they want him to win because if he won, they can win. So when he loses, the defense force comes out because "SURELY HE CAN'T LOSE, IF HE LOSES, I LOSE!"

It really is as simple as that. You see it all the time with people who get mad when shitposters get taken to task because "it's just a prank" or "figure of speech" or "don't give the word that kind of power." Someone earlier said it pretty well, he wants to say whatever he wants, regardless of the circumstances. People like that. They gravitate towards that. That's how we got our president.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Like I'll admit I am basically sir swears a lot when I get mad at a game or something like that but you'll never catch me saying racial epithets or homophobic slurs because that's messed up.

I had a really angry tirade in F13th the other day. Two players were speaking in Arabic, and one of them PMed me to ask for Packnack Lodge (Before the patch). So I switched to the map, and at the beginning he said in English that if people wanted to win, they just had to follow him. Turns out he and his buddy were glitchers, who got on top of the lodge. I asked him if he was glitcher at the start, and he said no, he just meant that people should stick together. Anyway he was a lying glitching asshole.

So I got really mad and I tore into both of these assholes. So did two other people. I was really screaming at these two douchebags. Not once did I say anything offensive towards middle eastern people, towards Muslims. Nor did the other two players. We called them all the names you can think of. Not a single racial or religious slur. Or homophobic slur. From 3 people. In a public game.

Why can we do that, and not Felix Kjelberg? Are we magical?

Willenium

a streamer on a platform, streaming a game that isn't your game, and having a reaction and a slip up, because we're all human and we're all not perfect and we've all said the wrong things at the wrong times, and we're all probably a little bit racist, that's why I think he shouldn't be fired or have his channel shut down for this crap.

this is a baffling way of thinking.

Aselith

Remember the good press over his Nazi stuff and it lead to him losing his Disney contrac- wait shit I fucked that up I am not good with computer

u4iX

Doesn't make it any less wrong. In Sweden the word ni**er* isn't as loaded as it is in english talking countries, there is even sweets which probably half the population still calls ni**er balls even though the correct word since decades ago is chocolate balls. But he's an adult and if you're younger than 40 you've been told during your whole time in school to not use the word in a negative way. It might've been a slip up but he should've stopped doing those many many years ago, those that still use the word that way definitely has some rasistic thoughts.

Half the population of Sweden should lose their job according to this thread.

LotusHD

Banned
Saying "we're all probably a little bit racist" in the context of a thread discussing a Youtube celebrity casually saying the N-word like it's nothing is... enlightening.

besada

Banned

It's time to be done with this ridiculous argument. If you don't want to discuss the issue, exit the thread. But further whining about other people discussing it will be treated as de facto thread whining, a bannable violation of the ToS.

rocK`

Banned
The problem is that silence is compliance basically. If you ignore hatred and bigotry it doesn't go away. It festers and explodes

Hence why I didn't say to ignore it - but also not to let threads like this blow up. Do so locally, express your discontent with his bottom line.

Anyway, tried to help - I'm out of this thread. More hate in here than the 3 minute clip this was based on.

Mesoian

How can Google fire a guy for writing a manifesto about how women are inferior but then continue to pay a guy who is racist (complete with video evidence)???

That's a very good question, one the answer of which will probably put a lot of youtubers in real financial jeopardy.

watershed

Banned
Your argument is people are making this situation worse by talking about it. This is a classic rhetorical tactic. It boils down to "talking about racism is worse than racism." It's a stupid, tired argument repeated by people who would rather be upset with people calling out racists than actual racists who are doing and saying racist shit.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Some white dude using the n-word as a direct insult isn't a "slip". It's a shitty go-to insult for him to reassert his own power. The only slip is maybe that he got caught saying this on a stream, but the fact that it's perfectly within his reactionary vernacular speaks to what kind of person he is. Plenty of people here understand that there is zero fucking context in which most of us can use that word.

def sim

Hence why I didn't say to ignore it - but also not to let threads like this blow up. Do so locally, express your discontent with his bottom line.

Anyway, tried to help - I'm out of this thread. More hate in here than the 3 minute clip this was based on.

This is bullshit and I'm not ok with him getting away with that last line.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's a very good question, one the answer of which will probably put a lot of youtubers in real financial jeopardy.
Isn't that hilarious though? That Google Engineer could start a Youtube channel, say exactly the same things, and he would be a millionaire by the year's end based on ads and patreon money. lol

hbkdx12

It's not surprising really. Not accounting for past transgressions, a lot of people will just look at the situation and think he's being targeted because of his stature and viewership and lets be honest, if this was Youtuber #38395909 instead of PDP, this thread wouldn't exist but that's all the more reason that there needs to be ramifications and consequences behind this. This is exactly how precedents get set. You have to make an example and there's rarely a better person to make an example of than the person at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom