• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku UK publishes sympathetic TotalBiscuit piece on anniversary of GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

TB is pure trash, someone said LKD is friends with him? That's incredibly surprising after everything he's done and said.

kiguel182

I mean, John not being transphobic doesn't erase all the shit has said or done. He doesn't get a pass for one good action.

Edit: Not being transphobic should be standard and not something that erases years of harassment and support of misogyny and alt right groups.

Calling someone out like he did is what I except from every decent person.

We can criticise an article without encouraging harassment. Please keep this 'they deserve it' bullshit to yourself.

Who encouraged harassment? He said this article doesn't fall as her fault but rather the editors. No. That's horseshit.

She wrote it. She is entirely deserving of criticism for it. As far as Twitter is concerned I had no comment on that so don't put word where there are none.

Fuchsdh

In the context of a piece about harassment not talking about TB's response to GG being lacking seems like bad journalism (there's only a brief bit in the copy and in TB's comments that address it in very broad terms), but there's plenty of interest in the interview itself that I think is worth highlighted and is indeed germane to online harassment.

The bit about Youtube comments:

Three years ago, I shut down my YouTube comments and never turned them back on. The reality of it is, that on a channel of a certain size without extremely heavy, regular 24/7 moderation, YouTube comments become a complete shitshow. And that mainly comes down to the fact that the comments that float to the top are the ones that get the most engagement, and are the most controversial, not the ones that are the best.

On blocking trolls:

I think all platforms should probably move away from the block-based system that notifies a person that they've been banned, and towards mutes that do not, because it will generally reduce the amount of trolling. It's very, very effective. Block is considered by some trolls to be a victory — 4chan in particular. It has become an "if you block, we win" kind of thing. If you mute, that's not the case.

And on making Youtube comments better:

I would love for YouTube to implement a system whereby you have to watch a certain period of the video in order to be able to comment at all. That would not only prevent drive-by trolling, but it would also prevent people that didn't bother to watch much of the video starting an argument over something that was never said.

even if i like his content(mainly cooptional), im not really going to defend TB himself, but the comparisons im seeing on twitter are ridiculous, saying he's a nazi sympathizer. Yes, when GG was in vogue, he supported it in awful ways.
he has changed a lot since then. Coxcon happened a few weeks ago, and he himself kicked out someone that asked a transphobic question.
With that said, the timing of this article is fucking awful. tone deaf as hell.

TB strikes me as a person who is simply a complete and total idiot. Yeah, he's obviously not an alt righter or anything like that, he's just a dumbass who rarely thinks before he acts. He may not personally harbor shitty views, but he's still a pretty crappy person and shouldn't be given this kind of podium.

Eumi

Who encouraged harassment? He said this article doesn't fall as her fault but rather the editors. No. That's horseshit.

She wrote it. She is entirely deserving of criticism for it. As far as Twitter is concerned I had no comment on that so don't put word where there are none.
If that's what you meant, that's really not what that first post comes across as. Sorry if it is.

TB strikes me as a person who is simply a complete and total idiot. Yeah, he's obviously not an alt righter or anything like that, he's just a dumbass who rarely thinks before he acts. He may not personally harbor shitty views, but he's still pretty shitty and shouldn't be given this kind of podium.
even if i'm a fan of some of his content, i can totally understand and even agree to some degree. given the timing, lot of other people would've been infinitely better for an interview.

and to be clear, if im really being honest, i mainly watch the podcast because of Jesse and Dodger, and totally understand people that have problems with TB. that Hellblade shit he pulled last week was really idiotic of him.

Dynasty

Yeah, I feel like I'm missing something here?

She's knows Totalbiscuit more than we do, actually met him and talks to him on a regular basis, it is easy for us to paint a pic of TB as pure evil since we dont actually know him properly, when you get to know the person things become a lot more grey despite horrible stuff they have said/done. Also at CoxCon someone asked "Are traps gay" at one of the panels, he was attempting to be funny. Many Transgendered people were offended, TB dealt with it personally and made sure the guy was forced to apoligize or leave, the guy chose to leave.

tomtom94

She's knows Totalbiscuit more than we do, actually met him and talked to him, it is easy for us to paint a pic of TB as pure evil since we dont actually know him properly

"Paint a picture"

Stop with the vague gestures and read the fucking OP. Defend that shit.

If that's what you meant, that's really not what that first post comes across as. Sorry if it is.

As far as Twitter harassment is concerned Twitter is a dumpster fire and I am not for hate tirades on the platform.

But to say "oh it's not her fault, its the editors that let it through" is forever a bullshit argument. You write a piece, you attach your name to it then you 100% own it. Plain and simple. Not to mention she's an editor also.

I respect a lot of what Laura is trying to do in general, with regards to her career, but also find her to be an extremely clueless and annoying person, so I wish I could be more shocked. But I'm really not. She's not immune to criticism.

Dynasty

"Paint a picture"

Stop with the vague gestures and read the fucking OP. Defend that shit.

Do I think he is a horrible person? Yes, especially during GG and more recently his handling of the Jontron racism stuff.
This super evil boogeyman? No.

even if i like his content(mainly cooptional), im not really going to defend TB himself, but the comparisons im seeing on twitter are ridiculous, saying he's a nazi sympathizer. Yes, when GG was in vogue, he supported it in awful ways.
he has changed a lot since then. Coxcon happened a few weeks ago, and he himself kicked out someone that asked a transphobic question.
With that said, the timing of this article is fucking awful. tone deaf as hell.

had one type of cancer. won that, another appeared, and it seems it's on remission too.

TB wrote an essay on how the media is just as bad as Jontron being a white supremacist. He loves playing the "both sides" card.

Laura is making me sick with her 'you don't have to like him to learn from him' bs. There are tons of people, way more deserving than this loser, with better ideas.

kulapik

I'm not completely against TB, but I think he's definitely not the right person for an article on how to deal with harassment.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
It's absolutely fair game to discuss this article or this subject, as well as to criticize editorial decisions that led to it being published. A brief scan suggests the article is a puff piece which adds little to the conversation and certainly by failing to acknowledge the GamerGate controversy, TB's participation in call-out culture, his politics, and the question of how people with large audiences can intentionally or unintentionally direct waves of abuse towards those they attack online, the editors could have done better.

That being said, in consultation with other moderators, our sense is that both the title and framing of the original post do no favors for being able to have the conversation, in specific by calling out the editor and by arguing the "anniversary" thing (quite possibly a coincidence, even if tact might have dictated they be aware of this). If the frame is that TotalBiscuit is perceived as innocuous when in reality he is a malicious actor, and people should be aware of this, then that seems reasonable. But if the frame is that the only reason why a press outlet might cover him is because they're deliberately burying his complicity in abuse, that seems like misdirected anger and an overly zealous call to action which might itself end up directing abuse or invective towards those involved with the story. Notably, the thread does not even try to engage with the article itself or the series of pieces that led to it, instead preferring to attack the concept of the article.

I hope it should be obvious that we've tried from day one to keep our site free of GamerGate garbage. We publicly locked the initial thread about the "Zoe Post" on August 19th, 2014 making it clear that the allegations were at best an intrusive look into someone's personal life and at worst doxxing. We have a clear stance against doxxing and posting personal information, and we will never tolerate abuse or invective against people on account of their gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or willingness to speak up about issues of representation in the industry. Locking this thread is not because we wish to exonerate participants in GamerGate, but in the interest of making it clear that if we're going to talk about these issues, we're going to do it with respect, decorum, and minimizing the chance of abuse by users, readers, or opponents of the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom