• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

Shaneus

If it was supposed to expire tomorrow then it was probably just house keeping.
That's a possibility... but I don't know why they would. I suspect it was a domain that was registered for five years, but because Nations was still up this time last year, it was renewed for another year. But you'd think that if they have no use for it now (with Nations being well and truly down, as of earlier this year) there's no value in it for them.

Actually, thinking about it... coincidence that Nations went down around the time Lucid uploaded the Road Opens pic to their site? Probably, but maybe they're tinkering with infrastructure and getting their game talking to the same domain, so they had to take down whatever was there.

Or maybe not.

Megasoum

Banned
That's a possibility... but I don't know why they would. I suspect it was a domain that was registered for five years, but because Nations was still up this time last year, it was renewed for another year. But you'd think that if they have no use for it now (with Nations being well and truly down, as of earlier this year) there's no value in it for them.

Actually, thinking about it... coincidence that Nations went down around the time Lucid uploaded the Road Opens pic to their site? Probably, but maybe they're tinkering with infrastructure and getting their game talking to the same domain, so they had to take down whatever was there.

Or maybe not.

Bah there's no such thing as "No longer have a use for it". They would lever let go an official domain even if there's no games directly related. Imagine all the people who would go around buying the old official domains to make scam sites.

Shaneus

Bah there's no such thing as "No longer have a use for it". They would lever let go an official domain even if there's no games directly related. Imagine all the people who would go around buying the old official domains to make scam sites.
So why wouldn't they have just renewed it for another five years last year then?

Shaneus

Dunno...short on change the day before the paycheck? heh
Haha, probably.

I'm not looking at getting into an argument or back and forth or whatever, I just think that things shouldn't be discounted so easily. I mean, you're 100% right about them not wanting to let up the domain (and that happens in basically all instances of expiring domains related to big-company IPs), but I think that if that were the case, we'd be copping a redirect to FM.net or Xbox.com instead of a dead page.

Megasoum

Banned
Haha, probably.

I'm not looking at getting into an argument or back and forth or whatever, I just think that things shouldn't be discounted so easily. I mean, you're 100% right about them not wanting to let up the domain (and that happens in basically all instances of expiring domains related to big-company IPs), but I think that if that were the case, we'd be copping a redirect to FM.net or Xbox.com instead of a dead page.

Yeah I agree.

Anyway, if they do make PGR5 I hope they will bring back Québec. First of all they were great tracks and second, I never get my (almost) hometown in games. Well except Deus Ex: HR that actually had Montréal but I've seen too much of that game to care anymore lol.

Shaneus

Yeah I agree.

Anyway, if they do make PGR5 I hope they will bring back Québec. First of all they were great tracks and second, I never get my (almost) hometown in games. Well except Deus Ex: HR that actually had Montréal but I've seen too much of that game to care anymore lol.
I'd almost guarantee you they will. I have a theory: They said in the past that the only reason they didn't do full day/night cycles on all tracks was due to storage (not just a matter of shadows and lighting, but some textures actually look different). With how FM4 managed to successfully pull off a two-disc game, I think we'll have something where a new PGR iteration would do the same with the tracks spread over both discs. Sure, it's not cars like with how Forza did it (which are less critical to having a "full" gaming experience) but I think if done cleverly, it could be done quite well.

eso76

Have faith.

Lucid staff being made from PGR guys

Lucid posting this:
315391_553632281326060_1707521823_n.png

Thuway's comments

Badned's hints

Domain renewal

It's coming, 100%
At this point though, the question is: XboxOne or X360.

There was supposed to be some announcement regarding a new game Lucid in mid may.
It didn't happen.
It was either scrapped from Xbox ONE reveal to be replaced with FM5 or it was scrapped because it is indeed coming for X360 and they scrapped current gen talk (including x360 mini) altogether.
I started to believe it could indeed be x360, it would be strange if the first Xbone screenshot actually came from Lucid.

Shaneus

There not going to have 2 racing games especially when EA will have another NFS entry on XO
They won't be having another racing game *on the same console* at E3. Or at launch. Hence my speculation that it'll be on 360, and the guess that it'll release months before the new console is out to give it a good chance.

And honestly, the only way I'm going to be disappointed is if it's on the One. I think Lucid, Rare and the ex-Codies guys (at Rare) would be much better suited to making something for that in a pinch than hurrying something out for the One. T10 is a far bigger company.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It used to be the community site for PGR4 which wasn't useful for much outside of some national leader boards and retrieving your photos from PGR4.

Was a poorly designed site which didn't work for the longest time either.

- - -

I sincerely hope if there is a PGR5, it's on 360 right now, so I don't even have to entertain the possibility of getting an Xbox One for the damn thing.

What is bugging me though is that even thuway acknowledged its being done by a small developer. Bizarre was pretty big and even then they still had lots of outsourcing. I can't imagine a small scale PGR, you need tons of people to work on environments alone, and it just wouldn't feel right with gimped environments or having a "small scale" PGR. Whatever form this takes, if it exists, is still a huge mystery.

Makes sense for it to be a 360 title. All they need to do is use the current PGR engine and make a few tweaks.

A studio like Lucid aren't ready to make a next gen title due to size. Yeah there were rumours of Rare helping out, but clearly Rare are working on another project.

Shaneus

What is bugging me though is that even thuway acknowledged its being done by a small developer. Bizarre was pretty big and even then they still had lots of outsourcing. I can't imagine a small scale PGR, you need tons of people to work on environments alone, and it just wouldn't feel right with gimped environments or having a "small scale" PGR. Whatever form this takes, if it exists, is still a huge mystery.
**Shaneus' crazy theory hour!**

Lucid is a small company, based in the UK.
Is not owned by Microsoft.
Microsoft wants them to make new PGR (or however it came sbout).
Lucid says "We're a small company! You crazy!".
MS says "Hey, how about we get some staff for you? We own another dev over there, we can just employ them there, but they'll work in your office. How's that sound?"
Lucid says "Sweet like a boiled lolly. When can we start?"
Lucid technically stays "a small company", but has all these people working for them. No idea if that's plausible or not, but makes more sense than Lucid and Rare working together as two different developers. I mean, Rare on a PGR game... come on ;)

Mascot

It used to be the community site for PGR4 which wasn't useful for much outside of some national leader boards and retrieving your photos from PGR4.

Was a poorly designed site which didn't work for the longest time either.

It had some really awful staff bloggers, too.. ;)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It had some really awful staff bloggers, too.. ;)
Ah yes, one of them had a sticky 's' key on his keyboard too if I remember right? Kept messing up his own name!

Does anyone have a screencap of the developer list at the reveal? was lucid on there?
Oh shit. I didn't see it when I tried looking for it the first time but this is something people should definitely scout out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The developers list is only for what's on the 360 ATM, just noticed that.

They do say they will share what's next for the 360 at E3 though.. perhaps that's the last shot PGR5 has.

The developers list is only for what's on the 360 ATM, just noticed that.

They do say they will share what's next for the 360 at E3 though.. perhaps that's the last shot PGR5 has.

Let's hope so.

I'm torn, the trademark gives me hope it might actually be happening and with E3 only 2 weeks away, we'll get the answers to whether it's real or not, but I don't know if I can take the disappointment if/when it doesn't show up.

TwiztidElf

At this point, the only thing that MS could do to possibly pull me back their way is a really amazing looking PGR5. Even then at a stretch and I'm not holding my breath.

Shaneus

Does anyone have a screencap of the developer list at the reveal? was lucid on there?
Didn't think to look (through the streams of tears).

BTW I managed to find that quote I kept thinking of that referred to an updated PGR4 engine:
They are taking the existing PGR code base and upgrading it for the next generation Xbox.
From here:
http://www.stfuandplay.com/story/co...ts-next-generation-racers-leaked#.UZ8tb1wt0bX

Warning, the guy who started that other thread was banned because the site he linked had tits in it, but because the link was removed I'm not sure if it's the above one or was a different site (I recall it being a forum he posted a link to? I think).
Fake edit: I think said tits were on the instagram stream on the right, but they're not there now, so it's all SFW.

And someone mentioned Thuway rumoring something recently. I'd actually forgotten about this, but he posted back around the start of Feb. So at least he's consistent (if anyone had their doubts). What's also interesting is while I know aegies "confirmed" the rumor in my first link, but in the thread I just mentioned, he replied to Thuway's post:
S2e798N.png

Edit: Maybe Kagari knows something too? Or he's just laughing at the obvious tease.
Yj7PfEn.png

You guys <3
Y8SOpwu.png

TheOddOne

Xbox One: developers have their say on specs, self-publishing and TV TV TV
According to Nick Davies, co-founder of Jacob Jones creator Lucid Games and formerly senior producer at Bizarre Creations, Microsoft's event suffered from the high expectations from gamers - and he cautioned against a knee jerk reaction with E3 right around the corner.

"It's quite similar to the PS4 event in many ways," he said. "Expectations of people are they are going to see absolutely everything in one one hour show. Both Sony and Microsoft have been clear that this is the start of the reveal. You're going to see things today. You're going to see things at E3. I guess they just chose that day to focus on what their key highlights of the box are. They've always said the games were going to come at E3. So I'm holding judgement until we see games and we see more exclusives. It was just the starting point."

Shaneus

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure we're not seeing PGR5 on One:
Xbox One: developers have their say on specs, self-publishing and TV TV TV
According to Nick Davies, co-founder of Jacob Jones creator Lucid Games and formerly senior producer at Bizarre Creations, Microsoft's event suffered from the high expectations from gamers - and he cautioned against a knee jerk reaction with E3 right around the corner.

"It's quite similar to the PS4 event in many ways," he said. "Expectations of people are they are going to see absolutely everything in one one hour show. Both Sony and Microsoft have been clear that this is the start of the reveal. You're going to see things today. You're going to see things at E3. I guess they just chose that day to focus on what their key highlights of the box are. They've always said the games were going to come at E3. So I'm holding judgement until we see games and we see more exclusives. It was just the starting point."

For Davies, the new TV features could prove useful. "It's a shame you're not going to see it in the UK at the time of launch, but there's definitely something about being able to be watching TV and actually getting notifications when you're friends are doing something, then being able to easily switch over to playing games. It's maybe not the most sexy feature, but it starts to make the Xbox being that one box under your TV, that one media hub, make more sense."
Nick Davies, though, can see a huge benefit from having Kinect come with the console - as opposed to its sold separately status on Xbox 360.

"The good thing is it comes in the box with the device, so as a developer you know everyone on that device is going to have it. You're not worried about the market being split, which is always a huge thing," he said.

"Technically is sounds like a huge improvement over the previous one. When Kinect was originally announced everyone imagined it would be doing the things this next version will do, so it's nice to see that come to fruition. The proof will be in when you start developing for it, and see how accurate it is and what crazy things you can do with it. But the big key thing is it comes with the box. Everyone who has an Xbox will have a Kinect as well, which for developers is a huge thing."

And Davies singled out the new controller, which, according to Microsoft, contains over 40 innovations, for particular praise.

"The good thing for me is they didn't really change the controller much," he said. "It follows the best controller on the market, and it was nice to see they didn't add any additional gimmicks or make any big sweeping changes to that."
Obviously it could all just be something to throw people off the scent (though I doubt that a LOT, Davies seems like a straightforward, straight-up guy) but the bolded I think speaks volumes about where they probably are with developing stuff for the One (ie. nothing).

For reference: Nick Davies has made a small number of appearances here on GAF as misterecoli, most notably in the appreciation thread after I got called out for stalking :/
Still don't think you'd just head on over into that thread just because you were browsing a gaming forum for no reason!

Krilekk

Banned
Have faith.

Lucid staff being made from PGR guys

Lucid posting this:
315391_553632281326060_1707521823_n.png

Thuway's comments

Badned's hints

Domain renewal

It's coming, 100%
At this point though, the question is: XboxOne or X360.

There was supposed to be some announcement regarding a new game Lucid in mid may.
It didn't happen.
It was either scrapped from Xbox ONE reveal to be replaced with FM5 or it was scrapped because it is indeed coming for X360 and they scrapped current gen talk (including x360 mini) altogether.
I started to believe it could indeed be x360, it would be strange if the first Xbone screenshot actually came from Lucid.

Or it isn't actually PGR 5 but instead Microsoft has two teams working on Forza 5, one for the classic Forza stuff, one for creating cities and basically merging two games into one. City racing obviously is an important part of Forza 5, so why have two games that do the same thing?

Shaneus

I don't think he is going to confirm that he is working on anything for either 360 or One though :p
True, but it didn't sound like he was dancing around the fact that he might've known something about it or that they'd even contemplate working on something for it.

TheOddOne

True, but it didn't sound like he was dancing around the fact that he might've known something about it or that they'd even contemplate working on something for it.
You didn't get that impression? I sure did get the impression that they were doing something for One. "Wait for E3 for games", "Kinect could be usefull" etc.

Shaneus

You didn't get that impression? I sure did get the impression that they were doing something for One. "Wait for E3 for games", "Kinect could be usefull" etc.
I was thinking lines like "Technically is sounds like a huge improvement over the previous one", "The proof will be in when you start developing for it" (in relation to Kinect) and "I'm holding judgement until we see games" on actual game titles.

But I suppose it could be taken either way, depending on *what* angle you want to get from it ;)

TheOddOne

I was thinking lines like "Technically is sounds like a huge improvement over the previous one", "The proof will be in when you start developing for it" (in relation to Kinect) and "I'm holding judgement until we see games" on actual game titles.

But I suppose it could be taken either way, depending on *what* angle you want to get from it ;)
I'll give you that ;)

Shaneus

Hey guys.

GUYS.

http://www.whois.net/whois/pgrnations.com

EVbVqzx.png

zLVrqD8.png

159haurk.gif

(It was supposed to expire tomorrow)
I don't know enough about domain names to say if this is significant or not... anyone?
QeF7Tng.png

That's it, any references to who registered it or whatever have completely gone. Probably just a result of the renewal, maybe.
Edit: Nevermind. Went to another whois site and it's the same as the one whois.net was a few days ago. Move along.

Shaneus

More of an update on Lucid than clarifying anything specific about PGR5... confirmation they're at least working on *something* that isn't Jacob Jones:
PeRgazV.png

Top Bottom