• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

tasos

Right now to be honest , i want PGR5 on the 360 ...
Btw , who owns the rights of Metropolis Street Racer ... Sega ?

Shaneus

I still think they would be crazy to launch a console without an arcade racer.
I think it's crazier to launch it with Forza, a game series that is known for always needing a little bit more time in the oven.
This is what doesn't make sense, and is why I'm thinking that the One isn't getting PGR at launch. Despite being obviously different to people heavily into racers, to the casual gamer they probably wouldn't notice much of a difference between the two and will go for the one that has better name recognition, ie. the game that has actually had a release or two in the last six years.

I'm also kinda thinking that with the interview from one of the MS execs about expecting the 360 to have a post-PS3 PS2-eque lifespan for the 360 post-One, I doubt that they don't have anything planned at all for it once the new console is released.

I'm also kinda thinking that with the interview from one of the MS execs about expecting the 360 to have a post-PS3 PS2-eque lifespan for the 360 post-One, I doubt that they don't have anything planned at all for it once the new console is released.

Probably talking about Live Arcade releases. They must have a massive backlog of games right now and they releasing their big new F2P title soon...

Shaneus

It's PGR man, how can I not get emotionally invested.
Just think of it as one epic cone sprint... we're weaving through them, picking up tidbits and racking up the multipliers, still going for a maximum star and Kudos rating. We're just praying for the finish line to come soon, because we could hit a cone and lose everything completely.

Oh wait, that basically just echoes your post about the rollercoaster. Never mind!

Probably talking about Live Arcade releases. They must have a massive backlog of games right now and they releasing their big new F2P title soon...
This is true. But I'm sure there'll still be the odd big-ticket item coming out for it. Hell, Sony are still releasing GT6 on PS3 around the same time. That alone is what gives me reason to believe it's highly plausible it's a 360 title. And man, I'd almost rather not see it released at all than released on the One. Sent to death a la PGR4 vs. Halo 3 or Blur vs. Split/Second.

Microsoft have stated they want to sell another 25 million 360's so I'm confident they have something worthwhile for this holiday season.

PGR5 will release same day as GT6 just for traditions sake lol

Shaneus

I'd be happy if PGR5 was just a new gen xbla title.
Very unlikely to happen. Bizarre struggled to fit the cities (without variable times of day... that takes extra space) in the 7GB available, who knows how much it would take if they're covering more bases like a full day/night cycle for each track, a few extra locations *and* higher fidelity textures etc. You'd be looking at ~14GB at least.

If you're not familiar with my prediction, I'm thinking PGR5 will be on 360 sometime this year, probably a month or so before the One launches, on two discs a la FM4.

This is true. But I'm sure there'll still be the odd big-ticket item coming out for it. Hell, Sony are still releasing GT6 on PS3 around the same time. That alone is what gives me reason to believe it's highly plausible it's a 360 title. And man, I'd almost rather not see it released at all than released on the One. Sent to death a la PGR4 vs. Halo 3 or Blur vs. Split/Second.

Yeah, the wording does suggest they have some big surprised in store for the 360. I'd happily accept a PGR5 on 360, 4 still looks stunning and as you said, I'd rather it not go head to head with Forza 5 and suffer the same fate as PGR4.

Very unlikely to happen. Bizarre struggled to fit the cities (without variable times of day... that takes extra space) in the 7GB available, who knows how much it would take if they're covering more bases like a full day/night cycle for each track, a few extra locations *and* higher fidelity textures etc. You'd be looking at ~14GB at least.

If you're not familiar with my prediction, I'm thinking PGR5 will be on 360 sometime this year, probably a month or so before the One launches, on two discs a la FM4.

Well, with XBLA being merged with retail into just "Games" I would expect them to have titles that were between smaller XBLA equivalents and bigger retail games, so I wouldn't say its an impossibility.

But I do think if PGR was coming it would be a full retail title. Since we had PGR4 the disc sizes were slightly increased I think? Depending on how much they needed that could help them I guess.

Xun

At this point I'd much rather have PGR5 on the 360.

It would be a fitting end to the console, and I wouldn't need to buy a piece of crap to play the next PGR.

Shaneus

Well, with XBLA being merged with retail into just "Games" I would expect them to have titles that were between smaller XBLA equivalents and bigger retail games, so I wouldn't say its an impossibility.

But I do think if PGR was coming it would be a full retail title. Since we had PGR4 the disc sizes were slightly increased I think? Depending on how much they needed that could help them I guess.
Yeah, not an impossibility, but for something like PGR which has it's legacy in providing as much photo realism (which is in itself a massive space hog) I very much doubt that there'll be anything more than a demo released on XBLA.

And you're right about the space thing with the discs as well... there was some protection area or something that they were able to use since? Still, it was only an extra gig, so it wouldn't really make *that* much difference.

There's also (I guess) the potential of having it be single-disc, but including a code or even for free, putting in the game and automatically downloading X number of tracks (not unlike FM4 coming with the test track codes... but I'd rather it was just free for all and not a single-use thing). But still... likely two discs, I'm hoping. Two or three more fully-fledged cities with the fidelity of PGR4, but all with full day/night cycles (excuse the pun) would be perfect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At this point I'd much rather have PGR5 on the 360.

It would be a fitting end to the console, and I wouldn't need to buy a piece of crap to play the next PGR.
This is me right now.

It'll take me a few years but eventually ill get over not playing Halo ever again too. Still trying to stomach that.

Shaneus

This is me right now.

It'll take me a few years but eventually ill get over not playing Halo ever again too. Still trying to stomach that.
Yup. And if you think about it, it doesn't specifically buck the trend of not having a PGR for a Microsoft game console's launch, because it isn't one, really. More like a unified home entertainment device or some shit.

PS. It's not a Bungie-helmed Halo. Boom, justification.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yup. And if you think about it, it doesn't specifically buck the trend of not having a PGR for a Microsoft game console's launch, because it isn't one, really. More like a unified home entertainment device or some shit.

PS. It's not a Bungie-helmed Halo. Boom, justification.
Yeah, Destiny isn't helping MS' cause either, especially when Sony made sure to get buddy buddy with them quick. How do you fuck that up MS? The FIRST exclusive call they should've made should've been to Bungie.

The odd thing i find is that Lucid get bugged on their facebook about Blur/PGR but at no point do they just come out and say "are you crazy of course we're not making those".

Just seems a bit odd, if they aren't making it why not confirm that?

amardilo

The odd thing i find is that Lucid get bugged on their facebook about Blur/PGR but at no point do they just come out and say "are you crazy of course we're not making those".

That's why I am still holding out hope they are doing something PGR related (that and the only not 100% negative comments about MS someone at Lucid was quoted on as saying when asked about indies on the Xbone).

But if they weren't making a PGR game it could be because it does give them a little extra internet chatter about their company without them having to do anything. Or it could be that they are constantly pitching it to MS so they can't deny they are not working on it but they haven't officially been green lit to work on it.

Companies generally don't confirm or deny anything, they just announce.

Shaneus

That's why I am still holding out hope they are doing something PGR related (that and the only not 100% negative comments about MS someone at Lucid was quoted on as saying when asked about indies on the Xbone).

But if they weren't making a PGR game it could be because it does give them a little extra internet chatter about their company without them having to do anything. Or it could be that they are constantly pitching it to MS so they can't deny they are not working on it but they haven't officially been green lit to work on it.
They wouldn't have posted a "Road Opens 2013" picture if they weren't already working on it and it was already greenlit :)

Something that may also be of note: I sent a PM to BADNED with a link to my post where I tried to solve all the riddles that he'd posted in this thread. Just having a look, his "Last Activity" on NeoGAF was at 5:37am this morning (around an hour and a half ago, Australian time) but... no reply to that message. Maybe he doesn't reply to *any* PMs, or maybe I'm spot-on and he's not acknowledging it (or conversely, I'm completely wrong).

Shaneus

Yeah that image must mean something and doesn't seem to reflect the other games they have made.
Au contraire, Mr. Picollo. I took this photo way back in January when the "Road Opens" pic first appeared on Lucid's website:

wYd0JGwl.jpg

Let's compare:
Skylightthumb.png

From this post a few pages back :)
(I suspect I could've gotten closer, but when I first took it I was probably far too excited to get it as close it could be)

PS. My apologies to all in this thread... scrolling through here it's startling just how many posts appeared with a pale blue background, indicating my own posts. I must have come off as some kind of crazy person! Which I'm clearly not.

Obviously.

Au contraire, Mr. Picollo. I took this photo way back in January when the "Road Opens" pic first appeared on Lucid's website:

wYd0JGwl.jpg

Let's compare:
Skylightthumb.png

From this post a few pages back :)
(I suspect I could've gotten closer, but when I first took it I was probably far too excited to get it as close it could be)

PS. My apologies to all in this thread... scrolling through here it's startling just how many posts appeared with a pale blue background, indicating my own posts. I must have come off as some kind of crazy person! Which I'm clearly not.

Obviously.

I don't follow, i'm agreeing with you aren't I?

Izick

There's no chance in hell they'd even announce this (if it even exists) at E3 when they have Forza 5 in the tank, right? I know they're different styles of racing games, but they're still two big racing games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's no chance in hell they'd even announce this (if it even exists) at E3 when they have Forza 5 in the tank, right? I know they're different styles of racing games, but they're still two big racing games.
Even more curiously, it's listed as a 2014 title. MS would be doing everything backwards, but perhaps by necessity as they want to release Forza in the fall, and Lucid is a smaller studio.

Then again, the list does list Destiny as a 2013 title even though it was delayed to 2014 a long time ago and it also has some pretty tentative dates for other titles too.

That would be bananas. Not sure I like that idea though.

Also, where is that image listing PGR 5 from?
Click the image.

Megasoum

Banned
I would MUCH prefer to have PGR5 on the 360... That way I wouldn't have to buy the new console and it would be a perfect way to end the generation just like it started.

That would be bananas. Not sure I like that idea though.

Also, where is that image listing PGR 5 from?

Microsoft is going to keep the 360 around for a while and they want to sell another 25 million units. What won't work unless they have some appealing games for the platform.

Shaneus

It's under Xbox One.

:'(

I doubt any retailer would find out what's coming out before any other sites have it leaked, so I'm holding out hope that it's fake. I mean, they list Whore of the Orient on there, and the team doing that have been shut down.

Besides... this hasn't been changed yet:
Skylightthumb.png

It's under Xbox One.

I doubt any retailer would find out what's coming out before any other sites have it leaked, so I'm holding out hope that it's fake. I mean, they list Whore of the Orient on there, and the team doing that have been shut down.

Skylightthumb.png

They also list Agent and Star Wars 1313 so yeah.........

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's under Xbox One.

Skylightthumb.png
Could just mean it's announced in 2013 and the press train starts rolling early.

Xun

It's under Xbox One.

Skylightthumb.png
Boo! My excitement has vanished. :(

HEX1GON

Neo Member
PGR 5 must happen. PGR 4 had so much detail, Bizzare made some of the best racing games before Activision booted them. It'd be great to see it make a comeback :)

Shaneus

Oh I know, but I'm not getting my hopes up. :(
But then, how can you be excited when it's finally announced?

Get your hopes up. Run the risk of them being dashed. Open yourself up to the possibility of being hurt. LIVE A LITTLE, DAMNIT.

Chicks dig vulnerable dudes, anyway ;)

PGR 5 must happen. PGR 4 had so much detail, Bizzare made some of the best racing games before Activision booted them. It'd be great to see it make a comeback :)
That's the spirit!

Top Bottom