• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust on PC/XB1 to Use "Original Graphics, Original Rendering" Not HD

Miker

So they are reworking it to work with modern XBL, adding cross platform play, tournament support, they decoupled the card unlocks from the campaign...

All that work and they are going to ship a console game in 2017 that runs at 480p?

Are you fucking serious?

I don't think it's right. The fact sheet specifically says improvements to framerate, and in the interview she says the framerate would be identical to the original.

Havoc2049

From sangreal in another thread: "it's being developed by code mystics, who also did killer instinct classic on xb1 and worked on rare replay"

Given their history I suppose it could go either way - emulation as in Killer Instinct Classic or maybe an upres - Grabbed by the Ghoulies was the only OG Xbox game in Rare Replay and it was 1080p60.

If they give Phantom Dust the 1080/60 Grabbed by the Ghoulies treatment, then that would be great.

I'll be buying it regardless, Phantom Dust is one of the best multiplayer games ever made, but I seriously hope this news about original resolution is wrong.

I'm fine with original textures, models, etc., it was always a good looking game.

Dyna

Kind of weird that they're sticking to the original visuals and resolution etc. Still sort of excited for this, never got to experience the original game (was it even released in Europe?) but I love the art style and the soundtrack is very unique from what I've listened to.

dat 480p

24802-ingame-Phantom-Dust.png

I mean, it looks great for a gen6 game but...

epmode

durante pls

Just to clarify for people that may not be aware: The PC version is exclusive to the Windows 10 store so it's going to be a UWP application. One important side effect of this is that it's impossible to run unauthorized third party mods.

In other words, PDFix isn't coming.

wasn't it BC on 360? pretty sure that was 720p at least with 4xaa. Looked OK, but no widescreen if I remember right. I still got my disc out in my garage, but I don't feel like digging it out.

Ushay

Right ok.

1. Who the fuck is developing this game?

2. Why is this not getting the reboot treatment it deserves?

3. Fuck you MS for letting me down on this one. I friggin loved the original, can't believe they are half assing it after that flashy reintroduction..

4. Does this mean OG Xbox emulation is possible??

Tain

I'm happy to have it on my PC. Strange and disappointing that they aren't shooting for higher resolutions at least, though. 60fps was a nice thought but it wasn't going to happen.

I guess we can finally call it a port and not a remaster, eh? lol

ayy

Codemystics, the clowns that released the broken Last Blade 2 port on PS4, lol.

These are the same guys that did the KoF UM PC ports, right? Those aren't bad.

It's kind of a push and pull thing here the original is fantastic and great but as a massive fan of the series MS kind of made me think something new was coming out and they understood what kind of gem phantom dust was.

this might be a testing grounds game but if it doesn't even get a flashy update that might affect the love it gets, we shall see i guess.

Wereroku

This like giving someone a hamburger steak so they forget about the porterhouse you originally offered. Do that not want to spend any money on the project?

Slaythe

I never had an xbox so I never played this.

I will get it because it looked really cool.

But Durante pls save us.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Atleast the leaked potato shots will finally match reality.

The game is great, still unique in this day and age and was incredibly ahead of its time. 480p as the resolution is a joke though, why increase the FPS but not the resolution. So disappointing.

aeolist

Banned

But Durante pls save us.

nobody can save you from shit ports on the windows 10 store

i remember some people from UWP threads claiming that microsoft will enforce a bar of quality such that mods like dsfix won't be necessary

lol

nakedeyes

Banned
Huh.. never heard of animations having an affect on resolution before.. sounds suspect! They should be able to bump up the res at least arbitrarily... Unless maybe there is some key 2D UI to 3D mapping shit going on?

Edit: looking at the above images, it does look like there is 2D ui that focuses on 3D elements. Shouldn't be THAT hard to fix up, but games are tough and programming can come in many forms, so I can see a case where this would be non-trivial.

jengo

It's 2016 and I'm actually excited to play a game with black bars (not by choice obviously). I vaguely remember it not being too bad stretched out on the 360 (played through backwards compatibility).

Tain

It's 2016 and I'm actually excited to play a game with black bars (not by choice obviously). I vaguely remember it not being too bad stretched out on the 360 (played through backwards compatibility).

PD has 16:9 support though, I think.

Chobel

This has to be a joke. Not even increasing the resolution?

And good fucking luck "testing the water" with a game which an outdated graphics from 2004.

duckroll

This can't be right. MS is having massive messaging issues at E3 this year. First with the S, then Scorpio, now this. What's with all the crossed wires?

Warxard

Banned
Sounds like something to do with the animation frames and the purpose to preserve that for the port for competitive play.

Which is, fine by me.

Gattsu25

Banned
durante pls

But Durante pls save us.

By "original rendering" it sounds like they're saying "help us durante".

As others have said, Durante will likely not be able to do anything with this one.

Microsoft is pushing for a new UWP platform which is explicitly designed to prevent unofficial yet beneficial mods, like the fixes that Durante has created, from working.

Anything that you get off the Windows 10 store will be limited in this way.

I wonder if this game is a sign of plans to bring original Xbox games, with Xbox Live somehow ported over to Xbox One/UWP as an alternative to native original Xbox backward compatibility with discs. It would certainly make sense for them to start selling unaltered digital versions of original Xbox games with new Xbox Live features if they found an easy way to do so. Think of the revenue stream and good will they would garner with the fan base, though not as big a deal as disc based bc. It would be their equivalent to PS2 games on PS4.

Top Bottom